Follow

Icon

Character » Icon appears in 106 issues.

Icon is the superhero persona of Arnus aka Augustus Freeman, and member of the Terminan alien race. He crash-landed on Earth in the American South in 1839; Raised as a slave, but escaped through the Underground Railroad. Following a series of events, Augustus decides to become a Superhero, and eventually joins the Justice League, after being drafted by Superman.

Icon and Comicvine

Avatar image for twix_right_side
    Twix_Right_Side

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Twix_Right_Side

Okay,so after going through like 9 threads with this guy,I have to ask why people think that he can "stomp":

Superman

Martian Manhunter

Blue Marvel

Doomsday

Hulk

Wonder Woman

Gladiator

Apollo

Thor

Beta Ray Bill

Sentry

Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel

Shazam

Here's the thing,I am NOT underestimating Icon (I also think that he's a cool character),but here are a few things that I've read regarding arguments about him.

1. "Icon is basically a black Superman",thus his feats are interchangeable with Superman?

This reasoning is horribly flawed. Yes,his strength/durability is in the same league as Superman's,but that doesn't mean that we can use Superman's feats for Icon. I guess that's all I have to say on the matter,because this was one of the main reasoning that people assumed that he can beat most of these characters.

Do you want to know what his main feats were that people were using to support him? Him punching Superman.

Let me just make this clear: Hitting a character and hurting them (Supes didn't even look that hurt,but he was knocked back) does NOT mean that you are as strong as said character. For example,Wonder Woman hit Superman and sent him flying,but that doesn't mean that she's as strong as him. It just means that she has the strength/striking ability to surpass his durability (or hurt him,for lack of better words). And even when Icon did that,he said that he nearly broke his hand,so......

And when they fought him in an Icon comic,he even said that Superman was stronger than him (btw,in that fight,Superman acted like such an idiot)

2. http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/superman-vs-icon-vs-black-adam-408757/

Since when the HELL did Icon get telepathy,intangibility,shapeshifting,heat vision,etc???

For a LONG time,people thought that Icon was the most powerful character on the vine because someone put Martian Manhunter,Superman,etc's feats/powers in his column (btw,how was this allowed? Did someone have more than 1000 points?)....even though he has shown none of these things,especially his basic powers to such a high degree. For example,back then (and even NOW on his wiki page),it was said that at base-level,his strength is equal to a fully powered Superman.......yeah,that's bull. It's not....it's not at all. Or people saying that he has "every power Martian Manhunter has,and more".

Or that it was once said that he was faster than the Flash,and could effortlessly surpass him.......I actually have never seen a scan of Icon going at light speed,let alone faster than light...... If anything,I think I remember his speed being supersonic (yet people say that he can blitz Gladiator,Beta Ray Bill,Hyperion,etc....even though they have nano-second reaction time,and Bill batted away a Surfer that was going in for the blitz,and Gladiator moves 100x faster than light,and it isn't unusual for him to blitz his opponents). I know that not a lot of people know about the character,but because of that,someone took advantage of this ignorance,and,well.....

3. "Icon can beat Superman because Superman is powered by the sun,Icon isn't......take away the sun=Icon wins"

I don't even understand this. I cannot even comprehend it. What does this have to do with anything? Unless Icon can block out the sun with his cape,or he can remove it....so what does this have to do with anything? That's like saying "Wonder Woman isn't powered by the sun,Superman is.....so she wins." (even though I think she can arguably win against him).

However,some people (like @nelomaxwell) provided some good knowledge on Icon. For example,I didn't know that,if he can see an attack coming,that he can basically be unaffected. However,I don't know to what extent that this is true,I mean,we cannot assume that he is completely invulnerable to everything if he's expecting an attack (I'm pretty sure that that's a fallacy). I know that it's consistent with his...lower durability showings (getting a bloody nose and being in pain from getting hit with the butt of a rifle from behind, or getting knocked out by a cannonball).

And btw,what's stopping most of these people from blitzing Icon?

It's like some people let their blind enthusiasm for the character get in the way from deciding who wins based on facts.

By the way,IF I am beating a dead horse,just let me know (instead of posting sarcastic remarks)..I'm kinda new.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.