Would you support an own ongoing or limited Iceman series?

#1 Posted by Sir_Deadpool (461 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a big Iceman fan and always wanted (and still) want an Iceman ongoing or even a limited series. I think he is a great character still with a lot of potential and a lot of friends and relatinships to them (especially to Rogue) i would really enjoy reading a story about him or howw he trains to gain new powers.

so what about you? would you support an iceman series too?

#2 Posted by LightBright (4297 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd read it and I'm not even really that big into Marvel these days. Still have love for Bobby though. 

I could see it as a limited series, but an ongoing might be a bit much to ask for.

#3 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, and I think he really needs it. Bobby has always been treated as a B/C list character in the X-Men and has never had a good, memorable story arc.

#4 Edited by EnSabahNurX (2315 posts) - - Show Bio

I say test out a mini using a good writer, just to test the waters and if successful branch into an ongoing

but it really comes down to who is working on the book that dictates if it will do well because you've seen what happens when iceman is mishandled. Maybe give him a book like rogue has legacy, which he is joining so this may be his chance to get some development

#5 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd try it out but the past has shown that not many other X-men other than Wolverine can hold their own ongoings

#6 Posted by Thunderscream (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

I've stated this elsewhere, but I think if they sparked up a relationship between Iceman & Dazzler and centered a book around it, it could work. Both of them are severely neglected because they're so powerful writers don't know how to utilize them. I think they're made for each other.

#7 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

I would definitely support an ongoing or limited Iceman series. I've always thought that Bobby was an interesting character and it was sad that he rarely has any stories about himself or what he can do. It was also sad that Bobby rarely showed up in any comics over the years, so a little series about himself would do him good.

#8 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sir_Deadpool: Off the top of my head, no.

It's not that I think Bobby's not a good character, I just feel like he's always been "the funny one" on a team book. He's never had the development to prove to me he has the chops to run a solo title, especially if that involves having his own supporting cast, which would be all new characters.

However, anything is possible with the right creative team. Iceman: Agent of SWORD written by Ed Brubaker drawn by David Aja? Yeah, that I'd read. But generally I'd have to say no on an Iceman solo series.

#9 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7282 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@Sir_Deadpool: Off the top of my head, no.

It's not that I think Bobby's not a good character, I just feel like he's always been "the funny one" on a team book. He's never had the development to prove to me he has the chops to run a solo title, especially if that involves having his own supporting cast, which would be all new characters.

However, anything is possible with the right creative team. Iceman: Agent of SWORD written by Ed Brubaker drawn by David Aja? Yeah, that I'd read. But generally I'd have to say no on an Iceman solo series.

#10 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5835 posts) - - Show Bio

@EnSabahNurX said:

I say test out a mini using a good writer, just to test the waters and if successful branch into an ongoing

but it really comes down to who is working on the book that dictates if it will do well because you've seen what happens when iceman is mishandled. Maybe give him a book like rogue has legacy, which he is joining so this may be his chance to get some development

I totally agree with this! I think Iceman having a successful miniseries strongly depends on how good the writing is. The reason why X-23's books were so successful was because the writing was so good and as long as the writer focuses a lot on Iceman's character and develop his personalities more, then the Iceman series will definitely be successful.

#11 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on who's writing it.

#12 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes please. Bobby needs some friggin character development.

#13 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

Limited series first yes. :D

#14 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather he have a more prominent role in the core X-Books. I think he's most definitely A-list material, work done by the likes of Carey and Lobdell have shown this. Remender's AoA Iceman is truly formidable, it'd be cool to see Bobby reach closer to his true potential in 616, continue the sort of stuff Carey was working on a few years back. It's a shame, in my opinion, that Carey didn't continue his work on Bobby post Messiah Complex.

#15 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point in time? No. I like Iceman... but I just can't see myself buying a series for him. I think the limited tryout might work... I still don't know if I'd actually pick it up. Given the relative lack of success of many of the X-Men's star players in their own attempts to solo, I can't identify anything particular in Iceman that would really prove him as an exception to this trend.

That said, go for it Bobby, surprise us all.

#16 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Id buy a mini. At this point in time not sure if there is enough for a full ongoing.

#17 Posted by Pbott (210 posts) - - Show Bio

@jrock85 said:

It depends on who's writing it.

Thats all it comes down to is writer, I have said it before if Remender wrote a toad ongoing i would read it.

#18 Posted by Sir_Deadpool (461 posts) - - Show Bio

so actually everybody here would like to see a miniseries but i guess ongoing is hard for iceman. but i wouold still ppick it up lol

#19 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- It all depends on what the purpose of the mini or series was

- Unless they are going to take him into a new direction or give him a purpose other than comic relief I wouldn't waste the paper

- Considering that even though he is one of the original 5, he is still mostly a blank slate as little as has ever been done with him.

#20 Posted by The Stegman (23969 posts) - - Show Bio

nope, i'd just give it the cold shoulder

#21 Posted by stambo42 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thunderscream said:

I've stated this elsewhere, but I think if they sparked up a relationship between Iceman & Dazzler and centered a book around it, it could work. Both of them are severely neglected because they're so powerful writers don't know how to utilize them. I think they're made for each other.

You know, I never would have put the two of them together... but that actually makes a lot of sense... I think that could work really well. Too bad they're on opposite sides of the country right now.

#22 Posted by PowerHerc (83319 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I wouldn't.

#23 Posted by deadpoolspidey877 (113 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

Id buy a mini. At this point in time not sure if there is enough for a full ongoing.

this.

#24 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

I really do not think he has any shot of carrying a title. His lack of character development does not give a writer much to work with, forcing a writer to throw a lot together in a short amount of time, not a roadmap for success

#25 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!!! I would buy a series based off of him. Didnt he just get thrown in a volcano? Lol what were the resultsfrom that? Did he melt and then come back or freeze the whole volcano?

#26 Posted by homosexuality (63 posts) - - Show Bio

An ongoing so we see more of his potential and him developing, them after that have him lead a team of xmen. he original xmen he has lot expierence I think he make a great leader also put him in the avengers already.

#27 Posted by DCKid2011 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Completely agree Iceman has always been one of the most under rated characters of the X-Men considering he's one of the original Xmen as well as an Omega Level mutant and hasn't had a decent ongoing or limited series.

#28 Posted by frogjitsu (478 posts) - - Show Bio

Solo spin-offs of chacters who were created for a team rarely work. What's he going to do that would justify him having his own book? Become a solo hero/adventurer? Get a job and make friends who aren't X-men? Hang out with other X-men buddies (which in that case, why not just make it another X-men book). The problem is, his hole life revolves around the X-men, so unless you want him to do his own thing on the side, and unless the writer/editorial is invested in developing the character in that manor, I don't see how it would work.

I'm all for more Iceman, but I think a better solution would be to cjt down on roster duplication between the books, and in what ever book Bobby is in, just focus on character devlopment. I miss the days when each X-bok had a seperate, consistent roster.

#29 Posted by Peerless1 (181 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#30 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11376 posts) - - Show Bio

100% H E double hockey sticks YES

#31 Edited by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Still agree with what I wrote two years ago.

Also, solo series of X-Men characters, Wolverine aside, tend to be mediocre a lot of the time. Iceman's 2001 solo series shows this.

He's being showcased a lot more in Marvel NOW! anyway!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.