Why no more love?

#1 Posted by daikari (76 posts) - - Show Bio

Why hasn't Iceman gotten any more love. He is one of my most favorite original X-men, plus he is an Omega-level mutant. Yet he hasn't gotten any of the spotlight any more.

#2 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think writers know what to do or how to write him correctly.
#3 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@jordama said:
" I don't think writers know what to do or how to write him correctly. "
This seems to be the problem. He is too powerful now. Aside from Mike Carey, no one has been able to do anything really interesting with Iceman's powers for a long time. It seems writers have a hard time putting him into action alongside the X-Men without having him do something lame and ineffective. His powers should allow him to solve many of mutantkind's problems himself fairly easily. It's a crime that the character has essentially been abandoned, and I'm sort of disappointed with Carey for not following up on his development of the character. Iceman is probably the biggest underachiever on Marvel Earth.
#4 Posted by HellionVulcan (3867 posts) - - Show Bio

Hes way to powerful as he should be able to handle most threats towards the x-men by himself but that would be boring so hes left as an unused character .

#5 Posted by eldestrisk (634 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep. We all want more of Bobby. =(

#6 Posted by madrid_san (1805 posts) - - Show Bio

He is one of the most loved x-men. to make things worse, i am not even sure if he is a member of the mutant resistance in age of x. I think i saw a pic of him with storm and namor in an upcoming book, but haven't seen him in the promos :( 
Please Carey and other writers, don't forget about Bobby!!
#7 Posted by daredevil21134 (12113 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome to MUTANT HIGH lol
#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

They're too busy pushing a furry psycho and the rest of the current X stories that sh^t all over the original point of the Xmen to focus on great characters like iceman

#9 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the current writers seem disinterested in developing any character not named Cyclops, Emma Frost, and Wolverine.

#10 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

Development is saved for anthologies. 

Iceman has very little to do nowadays.  
 Pitch some ideas for him.  
Getting back with Opal? Meh 
On the front lines? He already is.  

Unless he is plastered everywhere it is gonna seem like he is no where, but when he is plastered people would complain of his overuse.  

Characters have cycles, he will have his turn again.
#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

What he should do is stomp Scott's hypocritical ass and take the Xmen from him and get them back on track even if he doesn't become the leader he should step up and point out that what Cyclopes is doing is wrong and in the end is going to do far more harm than good to the mutants

#12 Posted by Mercy_ (92857 posts) - - Show Bio
@jrock85 said:
" Most of the current writers seem disinterested in developing any character not named Cyclops, Emma Frost, and Wolverine. "
They're not developing Emma. They're massacring her. 
#13 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss Bobby..

#14 Posted by Alternaut (484 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not too powerful. The same writer who supposedly gave him most of the feats that people boast and brag about him being at whatever power level had him get jumped by Mr. Sinister and Mystique and held at gunpoint.   

Iceman SHOULDN'T be getting any spotlight due to how powerful he is, he should be getting spotlight because he's an interesting character. It kinda' annoys me when people say that someone should get more shine because they're at a certain level of power. Why? Just because someone is more powerful than someone else doesn't mean I want to read about them. 

On that note, he probably isn't getting that much attention because he's stuck in limbo and no one really has any ideas that involve him. He got his own story in Manifest Destiny, he's been appearing in Uncanny and has appearances in Age of X...that's more than some characters on the X-Men have been getting. 

#15 Posted by SC (13235 posts) - - Show Bio

No glove no love, if you don't believe me, take your icey hands off my kazeeli bazeezi.  

Or in other words, he needs Mike Carey to write him again. Maybe someone new, like Marjorie Liu? Maybe he could be an Avenger? Maybe Gillen has something planned? I like Gillen, I think he would write a smart Bobby. 

#16 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" No glove no love, if you don't believe me, take your icey hands off my kazeeli bazeezi.   Or in other words, he needs Mike Carey to write him again. Maybe someone new, like Marjorie Liu? Maybe he could be an Avenger? Maybe Gillen has something planned? I like Gillen, I think he would write a smart Bobby.  "
That. Iceman should be at the point in his life that he's grown past the X-mens cause. I had thought with the Heroic Age pace set ,the fallout of Chaos War, and their
recent cameo, now would be a great time to revive The Champions!
#17 Posted by mewmdude77 (993 posts) - - Show Bio

More Bobby please!!!!!

#18 Posted by time (5072 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @jrock85 said:
" Most of the current writers seem disinterested in developing any character not named Cyclops, Emma Frost, and Wolverine. "
They're not developing Emma. They're massacring her.  "
To be honest, I think she got to much attention all ready. It's annoying. She focus more on than Storm, it's a joke. Writers don't really care for Iceman, which is ashamed cause he is a good character.
#19 Posted by John Valentine (16312 posts) - - Show Bio
@time said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" @jrock85 said:
They're not developing Emma. They're massacring her.  "
To be honest, I think she got to much attention all ready. It's annoying. She focus more on than Storm, it's a joke. Writers don't really care for Iceman, which is ashamed cause he is a good character. "
Storm has had around twenty years or more devoted to her development. She's by far Claremont's most developed character, Emma has had no way near as much attention in terms of either quality or time. The only writers to handle her well are Morrison, Whedon, Ellis and, to a smaller extent, Yost/Kyle.
#20 Posted by John Valentine (16312 posts) - - Show Bio

The best stuff I've ever read with Iceman was by Mike Carey in Supernovas/Blinded by the Light. I wish he'd again focus on Bobby. It's largely a shame the most other writers use him as wallpaper or severely underestimate his abilities. However,  I did enjoy Yost's Iceman Story in Nation X #1 (December 2009) and that awesome moment in Curse of the Mutants with holy water and ice-stakes. 

#21 Posted by RazzaTazz (9676 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not as much of an X-Men fan, but I do know what an Omega Level mutant is.  What is the reasoning behind him being one?  (this is asked out of ignorance not impertinence by the way)
#22 Posted by John Valentine (16312 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
" I am not as much of an X-Men fan, but I do know what an Omega Level mutant is.  What is the reasoning behind him being one?  (this is asked out of ignorance not impertinence by the way) "
Thermal energy manipulation, theoretical unlimited power.
#23 Posted by RazzaTazz (9676 posts) - - Show Bio

How is his power unlimited?  He can only create ice I thought. 
#24 Posted by John Valentine (16312 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
" How is his power unlimited?  He can only create ice I thought.  "
No, far from it. He can control sub-atomic energy/heat transfer in chemical reactions. That's how he creates ice.
#25 Posted by RazzaTazz (9676 posts) - - Show Bio

Well OK, that sounds like a nigh-on omnipotent power, but then why would he even bother calling himself Iceman and not just rebrand himself as "The Catalyst" or something. 

#26 Posted by John Valentine (16312 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
"

Well OK, that sounds like a nigh-on omnipotent power, but then why would he even bother calling himself Iceman and not just rebrand himself as "The Catalyst" or something. 

"
I suppose it's because ice manipulation is the primary use of his powers.
#27 Posted by RazzaTazz (9676 posts) - - Show Bio

If I had that power I would use it for a million other things.  For instance if I understand it correctly he could modify the heat activiation energy of a chemical reaction.  So he could stop a car just by making the heat activation of gasoline higher than the energy produced by its combustion.  He could also bascially kill anyone he wanted to just by making their heat activation energies for stuff like repiration become to high to work.  So why does he bother with the whole ice thing at all?
#28 Posted by John Valentine (16312 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
" If I had that power I would use it for a million other things.  For instance if I understand it correctly he could modify the heat activiation energy of a chemical reaction.  So he could stop a car just by making the heat activation of gasoline higher than the energy produced by its combustion.  He could also bascially kill anyone he wanted to just by making their heat activation energies for stuff like repiration become to high to work.  So why does he bother with the whole ice thing at all? "
Well, he wouldn't actually change the activation energy of the reaction, would he? The energy level would remain the same but he could ensure that the heat/energy was never supplied to allow for it to happen, right?
#29 Edited by RazzaTazz (9676 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats basically what I meant, in effect he could act as a weird catalyst.  This is why I suggested that somewhat lame superhero name.  Though Iceman is not particularly inspired either. 
#30 Posted by SC (13235 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
" I am not as much of an X-Men fan, but I do know what an Omega Level mutant is.  What is the reasoning behind him being one?  (this is asked out of ignorance not impertinence by the way) "

I know this was answered already (very well by John Valentine in fact so kudos) 

I just wanted to expand and go into this some more. Omega Level mutant is one of those story/character devices which was a way to separate some characters from others, this specifically powerful mutant characters. No hard definitions were made by the writer that invented and applied the term, but some characters were given this distinction. As time has gone by, more writers have used the term, still, without any real hard definition, I mean, some have been hinted at and some writers have detailed what they think it means, (Carey was particularly good) oh and some writers have even got that whole term.... wrong and retconned their own work (Ed Brubaker tried asserting a character Vulcan was above Omega level, but then this was changed as Omega level was supposed to be the end and above everything, sort of like 90% to 100% 

Mind you Iceman's increased powers are fairly new, he didn't start off this way, originally it was just an outer shell of soft snow around his body... now he is pure ice controlled psychically so he can be shattered and then still maintain sentience and control over the miniscule ice crystals... so he can exist as steam, water, ice... he can't consciously shift between those states yet, only reform... plus all the stuff above about temperature... 

So he is fairly overpowered, but at the same time, he regresses a lot. Imagine if Martian Manhunter started having trouble phasing though things because it strained him or shapeshifting... strained him... 

So basically all the stuff you suggested... would strain him... except for the time he froze a reality warper solid. Started cooling the blood of another character. Floating around as mist and then reformed in someone. etc 

So although powers rarely make the man, with ice Man writers like to regress him to the days before his power was increased and where Ice Man pretty much just mean guy made of ice. 

In one future reality Iceman becomes the new Ymir (you know, like the myth? Thor dude?)
#31 Posted by RazzaTazz (9676 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC

I do like the evolution of the character.  I always like a more detailed explanation of how things occur, and being able to control heat in chemical reactions is much cooler than "makes snow".  Still being able to control heat transfer in chemical reactions wouldnt get the job done necessarily, there is also a matter of heat convection conduction which would need to be stopped.  the transfer of heat in these means is a physical change not a chemical one. 

#32 Posted by SC (13235 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:
"@SC  I do like the evolution of the character.  I always like a more detailed explanation of how things occur, and being able to control heat in chemical reactions is much cooler than "makes snow".  Still being able to control heat transfer in chemical reactions wouldnt get the job done necessarily, there is also a matter of heat convection conduction which would need to be stopped.  the transfer of heat in these means is a physical change not a chemical one. 
"

Its suggested he can at least at the molecular level, that scope but on a global scale. I know that doesn't answer your question but as far as I know, that part is left well... untouched on. I don't care about his powers so much, not given how inconsistently they are applied I just like when Mike Carey writes him. Carey has given some unofficial answers at his web page but its admittedly peseudo science.
#33 Posted by RazzaTazz (9676 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC

Thats ok, scientifically flawed explanations still work better for me than arguments lacking completly in scientific basis. 

#34 Posted by DEGRAAF (7896 posts) - - Show Bio

lol i just wish they would used him again. The last two times i have seen him he was talking to their (The X-men) lawyer or or someone that deals with media. He is in his human form and never fights.

I want Bobby back on the team already

#35 Posted by John Valentine (16312 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF said:
"I want Bobby back on the team already"
Word.
#36 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14428 posts) - - Show Bio

Bobby has always been one of my favorite xmen and the current lack of Iceman in xtitles isnt a good thing.

#37 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

He should definitely move on and join an Avengers team. C'mon Beast is in the Secret Avengers right alongside Steve Rogers. He might suggest that Steve stick him on the Avengers or New Avengers. He'd make more sense than Protector or Red Hulk.

#38 Posted by John Valentine (16312 posts) - - Show Bio
@PrinceIMC said:
" He should definitely move on and join an Avengers team. C'mon Beast is in the Secret Avengers right alongside Steve Rogers. He might suggest that Steve stick him on the Avengers or New Avengers. He'd make more sense than Protector or Red Hulk. "
Oh, god no. I'd rather have Bobby die than be on the Avengers at the moment.
#39 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss Iceman too! He was one of my favorite characters and it's a shame that they rarely use him often nowandays. I wish they brought him back.
#40 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13411 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATPANEXE said:
@SC said:
" No glove no love, if you don't believe me, take your icey hands off my kazeeli bazeezi.   Or in other words, he needs Mike Carey to write him again. Maybe someone new, like Marjorie Liu? Maybe he could be an Avenger? Maybe Gillen has something planned? I like Gillen, I think he would write a smart Bobby.  "
That. Iceman should be at the point in his life that he's grown past the X-mens cause. I had thought with the Heroic Age pace set ,the fallout of Chaos War, and their
recent cameo, now would be a great time to revive The Champions!
I.........i think  i love you.............

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.