Which of the Original 5 X-Men Have Had a Secondary Mutation?

#1 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

How many of the five have had a secondary mutation? Which ones? What were the mutations? Im mostly curious if Bobby Drake (Iceman) has ever had a secondary mutation?

Obviously Beast is going in to his 3rd mutation (but he kind of forced the second one on himself)

Angel has the ability of steel wings or whatever but those were from Apocolypse and currently doesnt have them any more.

What about the rest?

#2 Posted by homosexuality (63 posts) - - Show Bio

Angel has a healing factor, in duh of course iceman had a secondary mutation he can become ice water vapor in water.

#3 Posted by XsPectre28 (714 posts) - - Show Bio

all except cyclops

#4 Posted by karrob (4278 posts) - - Show Bio

@XsPectre28 said:

all except cyclops

#5 Posted by kid Apollo (709 posts) - - Show Bio

Beast- his first grey/blue simian form, then the lion form, now the Sasquatch form

Angel- his healing factor

Iceman- before House of M he started to turn into ice but couldn't turn back, that was his secondary mutation kicking in

Marvel Girl- her telepathy. originally she only had telekinesis

Cyclops- none so far but we have to wait and see what happens with his powers after the PF screw em up

#6 Posted by homosexuality (63 posts) - - Show Bio

@kid Apollo said:

Beast- his first grey/blue simian form, then the lion form, now the Sasquatch form

Angel- his healing factor

Iceman- before House of M he started to turn into ice but couldn't turn back, that was his secondary mutation kicking in

Marvel Girl- her telepathy. originally she only had telekinesis

Cyclops- none so far but we have to wait and see what happens with his powers after the PF screw em up

Jean grey always had telepathy she had both telepathy and telekinesis.

#7 Edited by Baberaham_Lincoln (921 posts) - - Show Bio

@kid Apollo: Is it possible that the PF could have unlocked Cyclops' second mutation? and how many stages of evolution are there for mutants?

Thanks ^_^

#8 Posted by kid Apollo (709 posts) - - Show Bio

in the original writing JG didnt have both abilities, they only gave her telekinesis (maybe to seperate her from the Prof) but through early retcons she was said to have TP but it was locked down because she couldnt control it. this was also kinda adressed in the All New X-men book when the 05 were surprised that she had TP and she seemed to not know anything about it.

its entirely possible that the PF could have unlocked his secondary mutation. although i do think that it would be way too soon to talk about them, and with Cyke's powers being so unstable i dont think they will run with that possibility. a loooong time ago i had the idea that eventually Cyclops would 'inherite' telepathy from someone. he's had long lasting relationships with 3 of the worlds most powerful telepaths, Jean, Emma and the Prof, not to mention low-level psychic mainpulation from Pyslocke in the early 90s. it always jus seemed like a possibility to me

#9 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder what Cyclops' secondary mutation would be?

#10 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

The ability to attract incompetent writers.

It should be the ability to open gates and apertures to the dimension he's linked to, and his power should be restricted solely to him, but that'll never happen.

#11 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@John Valentine said:

It should be the ability to open gates and apertures to the dimension he's linked to, and his power should be restricted solely to him, but that'll never happen.

I'm thinking more Vulcan style.

#12 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@John Valentine said:

Thing about that is that it's a bit too similar. Cyke's mutation is different to Havok's and Vulcan's in that he doesn't release energy, he absorbs energy to open gateways. I think that should be explored more.

#13 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@John Valentine said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@John Valentine said:

Thing about that is that it's a bit too similar. Cyke's mutation is different to Havok's and Vulcan's in that he doesn't release energy, he absorbs energy to open gateways. I think that should be explored more.

I've never liked that whole "eye aperture gateway" concept. I prefer the idea that he's an energy absorber/channeler/redirector.

#14 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@John Valentine said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@John Valentine said:

I've never liked that whole "eye aperture gateway" concept. I prefer the idea that he's an energy absorber/channeler/redirector.

Oh me too. I think the eye aperture is f*cking stupid. But if they gave him the power to absorb and produce energy, that'd mean he should be able to concentrate more and fire more powerful blasts, and Marvel don't like the idea of Cyke being too powerful.

#15 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@John Valentine said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@John Valentine said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@John Valentine said:

Oh me too. I think the eye aperture is f*cking stupid. But if they gave him the power to absorb and produce energy, that'd mean he should be able to concentrate more and fire more powerful blasts, and Marvel don't like the idea of Cyke being too powerful.

I think the Banshee-pumped Ultimate X-Men Cyclops was a good indication of his optimal power level.

#16 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine: Yeah, I quite liked that.

It irritates me that in X-Men canon the eldest child is usually the most powerful, except in the case of Summers'.

#17 Edited by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@John Valentine: Yeah, I quite liked that.

It irritates me that in X-Men canon the eldest child is usually the most powerful, except in the case of Summers'.

Colossus vs Magik?

Who else is there? Cannonball is definitely more powerful than Paige and Icarus etc.

#18 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine: Ah yeah, good point. Forgot about them. Must have repressed them.

The Braddocks and the Guthries.

#19 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@John Valentine: Ah yeah, good point. Forgot about them. Must have repressed them.

Jaimie Braddock is ultimately more powerful than Betsy and Brian, yes.

Still, I think it's a pretty even split.

I do agree that I'd like Cyclops to be more powerful than Havok and Vulcan, though. Especially Havok, he's a whiny bitch. But at least Cyclops has other traits to fall back on.

#20 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I do agree that I'd like Cyclops to be more powerful than Havok and Vulcan, though. Especially Havok, he's a whiny bitch. But at least Cyclops has other traits to fall back on.

Cyke and Havok used to be roughly even, with Cyke being arguably a touch more powerful.

Then enter DnA -_______-

#21 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@John Valentine said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Cyke and Havok used to be roughly even, with Cyke being arguably a touch more powerful.

Then enter DnA -_______-

Really? I think Havok's always been more powerful. I think that's how writers try to sell him over Cyclops.

#22 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@John Valentine said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Then enter DnA -_______-

Really? I think Havok's always been more powerful. I think that's how writers try to sell him over Cyclops.

I never thought so. He drifted up and down, but Cyke was more consistently powerful. Then DnA just made him waaaaaaaaaaaay more powerful. But it's not surprising that Cyke gets left in the dust. Always has been.

#23 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: what is DnA?

#24 Posted by homosexuality (63 posts) - - Show Bio

@kid Apollo said:

in the original writing JG didnt have both abilities, they only gave her telekinesis (maybe to seperate her from the Prof) but through early retcons she was said to have TP but it was locked down because she couldnt control it. this was also kinda adressed in the All New X-men book when the 05 were surprised that she had TP and she seemed to not know anything about it.

its entirely possible that the PF could have unlocked his secondary mutation. although i do think that it would be way too soon to talk about them, and with Cyke's powers being so unstable i dont think they will run with that possibility. a loooong time ago i had the idea that eventually Cyclops would 'inherite' telepathy from someone. he's had long lasting relationships with 3 of the worlds most powerful telepaths, Jean, Emma and the Prof, not to mention low-level psychic mainpulation from Pyslocke in the early 90s. it always jus seemed like a possibility to me

she always had telepathy she felt the pain of when her friend died of a car accident.

#25 Posted by w0nd (2940 posts) - - Show Bio

@kid Apollo said:

she always had telepathy she felt the pain of when her friend died of a car accident.

Recently she said she couldn't read minds. At first she could only move stuff, eventually she could read minds and feel others emotions like you said, but they didn't happen at the same time. He younger self showing up recently altered the time line and when her telepathy started to manifest... she got it earlier than normal, she's been abusing her power lately because of this.

You can disagree if you want, but you would basically be arguing with Jean and the other characters own statements. It wouldn't be the first time marvel changed something though. Like making reed 15 years younger.

#26 Posted by ubungqingili (74 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclop will never be more powerful then vulcan after all vulcan is omega level mutant who can manipulate every energy even psychic energy and cyclops is well the third weakest original xmen.

#27 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

Cyclop will never be more powerful then vulcan after all vulcan is omega level mutant who can manipulate every energy even psychic energy and cyclops is well the third weakest original xmen.

where did this come from? We were talking about secondary mutations

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.