What Do You Think About... Bobby Drake's Sexuality?

  • 52 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

  Over in the Did Iceman become Firestar's boyfriend? thread, the question was raised about Iceman's sexuality.   Backflip replied saying: 

"This was all due to Austen having Northstar crush on Bobby. Nothing ever came of it, and it hasn't been referenced since. Overall, Iceman has been with quite a few ladies now. Mystique, Polaris, Opal and apparently Firestar. And that is just 616 Canon. In other universes (Ultimate/Movies) he has been paired with Rogue and Kitty (My personal favourite pairing for Iceman). So yeah, Bobby has been consistantly straight, and looks set to stay that way, "

A pretty informative answer, (although I'd never thought about how the movies were the first to officially 'ship' Iceman with Kitty Pryde, before).  However, I remember rumours about Iceman being gay long before Chuck Austen's run.  The first time I read about this odd little rumour was way back in 1997 when the Age of Apocalypse was being published.  Even back then I thought I knew the character well enough that it surprised me. 
 
Yet despite the list of beautiful women he's dated (as well as the unrequited loves), the rumours about Iceman being gay have persisted.  They've even spilled over into television, with a sketch on Family Guy
 
So... why?  Did something happen in the past?  Was there a close encounter of the boy-on-boy kind that I missed?  A little innuendo?  How & when did these rumours first start?? Would people prefer him if he really was gay?  Just what is it about Iceman that these rumours continue to surround him? 
   
Moderator
#1 Edited by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems like most X-men characters have that one thing in their past that the writers barely expand on and most forget.It's sad when the readers are more knowledgeable than the writers.

Moderator
#2 Posted by EdwardWindsor (14402 posts) - - Show Bio

hes a ladies man, if hes gay hes ertainly done his best to hide it. I  think its just a rumour probs based on a random comment of some kind made ages ago.

#3 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait a minute. Is that a camera recording of a youtube video?

#4 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, he does love to wear speedos :P jk 

#5 Posted by Sexy Merc (42071 posts) - - Show Bio

He could be in denial but I've always seen him as straight.

#6 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham: Yeah, I know it's kinda lame, but it really was the best video of that sketch I could find.   If you find a better one, I'll edit it :)
 
@Vance Astro: I know that the X-Men have always been popular among gay readers, since they all have such perfect comic book physiques, wear skimpy outfits and live in a secluded school/island fighting to be accepted by the outside world... but I'm still surprised that the rumours about Bobby in particular continue to float around the internet.  Especially as there doesn't seem to be any basis for them (not like the Colossus rumours, which was all due to his Ultimate counterpart). 
 
@Sexy Merc said:
" He could be in denial but I've always seen him as straight. "
Same here.  I mean, he *might* be in denial... but I just seem to have missed any 'evidence'... 
 
@Emperor Gonzo Noir: Who doesn't love speedos :p
Moderator
#7 Posted by Jake Fury (18153 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I think he's always shown a cold shoulder towards both sexes.
#8 Posted by Mercy_ (92607 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury

Personally, I think he's always shown a cold shoulder towards both sexes.
Punny.
Moderator
#9 Posted by hydrabob (14977 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry this might just be me but I don't picture superheroes having sex 
so their sexual orientation does not matter to me 
I don't care if they are heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, or asexual as long as they are saving the people that is all that matters

#10 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @Jotham: Yeah, I know it's kinda lame, but it really was the best video of that sketch I could find.   If you find a better one, I'll edit it :) "
I guess there's nothing wrong with it, it's just kind of bizarre. I wonder what happened to the video it was recorded from.
#11 Posted by manofsteel42 (227 posts) - - Show Bio
@hydrabob:
I know! I somtimes wonder when they have time to do that if they are always having to deal w/ a threat, also wtf is wrong w/ the people in their world?!  they see that the X-men save them everyday yet they still hate them!  They hate then cause they where born diff? Would they treat a kid in a wheel chair the same cause They where born diff too! and how come Black people dont try to help the Mutants against all that hate? Its questions like that  that make me wanna be on Magnetos side, the humans are closed minded and they dont realize that they too have this gene that has not been awakend.
Side note: When I read your comment "as long as they are saving the people that is all that matters" I got really angry and felt like screaming (I have no clue why!...I know Im weird)        
#12 Posted by fesak (7031 posts) - - Show Bio
Why would someone film a youtube video off a computer screen and then upload it to youtube? 
Maximum trolling.
Moderator
#13 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
@Vance Astro: I know that the X-Men have always been popular among gay readers, since they all have such perfect comic book physiques, wear skimpy outfits and live in a secluded school/island fighting to be accepted by the outside world... but I'm still surprised that the rumours about Bobby in particular continue to float around the internet.  Especially as there doesn't seem to be any basis for them (not like the Colossus rumours, which was all due to his Ultimate counterpart). 

I think it was one of those things that one writer put out there and other writers disregarded.I wouldn't have a problem with it if he was gay but if that was ever supposed to be the case or not supposed to be the case Marvel needs to tie up the lose end.Some times I think "What is the point of an editor?" nobody edits anything,so many writers write contradictory things to what others have established and nothing gets done..it's just left up to us as readers to point out and it gets frustrating after a while because we don't know what is what.
Moderator
#14 Posted by hydrabob (14977 posts) - - Show Bio
@manofsteel42 said:
" @hydrabob:
I know! I somtimes wonder when they have time to do that if they are always having to deal w/ a threat, also wtf is wrong w/ the people in their world?!  they see that the X-men save them everyday yet they still hate them!  They hate then cause they where born diff? Would they treat a kid in a wheel chair the same cause They where born diff too! and how come Black people dont try to help the Mutants against all that hate? Its questions like that  that make me wanna be on Magnetos side, the humans are closed minded and they dont realize that they too have this gene that has not been awakend.
Side note: When I read your comment "as long as they are saving the people that is all that matters" I got really angry and felt like screaming (I have no clue why!...I know Im weird)         "
hahaha yes you are wierd why that gets to you I have no clue
as far as the discrimination goes i think that their world doesn't discriminate against people like ours 
I think that all the racists and everybody else have dropped those differences to attack mutants (course i could be wrong but what are the chances of that)
#15 Edited by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Factor III - NationX Oneshot



I think it is more that male characters that like men seem to crush on him, and I swear I have had this conversation in another blog. Considering he walks around mostly nude and he has a lot of great qualities it isn't the most surprising that any character would have a crush on him. 
 
#16 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

If Iceman was gay, I would like him. 
#17 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Bobby is straight, but he has a sexy image that appeals to many gay men.

#18 Posted by Backflip (2256 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm saying no. 
 
He has consistantly been paired with girl after girl. I think, all together he has been paired with Jenny (From way back in the 60s), Infectia, Polaris, Mystique, Opal Tanaka and Firestar. That is far more than most other Super characters, and puts him in the top tier for studds amongst the X-Men. I wouldn't mind Bobby going gay, as long as it was well done, and made sense as too why Bobby would feel that way. Although, we all know that Bobby still loves Polaris, so I don't see it happening any time soon.

#19 Posted by Mercy_ (92607 posts) - - Show Bio
@Backflip said:
" I'm saying no.   He has consistantly been paired with girl after girl. I think, all together he has been paired with Jenny (From way back in the 60s), Infectia, Polaris, Mystique, Opal Tanaka and Firestar. That is far more than most other Super characters, and puts him in the top tier for studds amongst the X-Men. I wouldn't mind Bobby going gay, as long as it was well done, and made sense as too why Bobby would feel that way. Although, we all know that Bobby still loves Polaris, so I don't see it happening any time soon. "
Didn't he also have a thing with Annie Ghazikhanian
Moderator
#20 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" Well, he does love to wear speedos :P jk  "
and he....* see wall post *
 
Bobby is straight with homosexual curiosities. He's sexually open not to judge, therefore not
to have all options considered in the back of his mind. Plus have you seen the way stares
at Colossus? O.O
#21 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATPANEXE said:
" @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
" Well, he does love to wear speedos :P jk  "
and he....* see wall post *  Bobby is straight with homosexual curiosities. He's sexually open not to judge, therefore not to have all options considered in the back of his mind. Plus have you seen the way stares at Colossus? O.O "

Heteroflexible, with a leaning towards women. Bobby likes attention.
#22 Posted by Backflip (2256 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Backflip said:
" I'm saying no.   He has consistantly been paired with girl after girl. I think, all together he has been paired with Jenny (From way back in the 60s), Infectia, Polaris, Mystique, Opal Tanaka and Firestar. That is far more than most other Super characters, and puts him in the top tier for studds amongst the X-Men. I wouldn't mind Bobby going gay, as long as it was well done, and made sense as too why Bobby would feel that way. Although, we all know that Bobby still loves Polaris, so I don't see it happening any time soon. "
Didn't he also have a thing with Annie Ghazikhanian?  "

Oh yeah I forgot about that... Admittedly, I try to forget as much as possible about Annie. That homewrecker was awful.
#23 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Backflip said:

"@The Dark Huntress said:

"Didn't he also have a thing with Annie Ghazikhanian?  "

Oh yeah I forgot about that... Admittedly, I try to forget as much as possible about Annie. That homewrecker was awful. "
Yeah, same here.  One of few comic characters that no-one ever wants to see again.  I'd like to see him with Polaris again, but mainly because I'm so tired of her mooning over Havok (and the whole mess caused by 'Nurse Annie').
  
@fesak said: 

"  Why would someone film a youtube video off a computer screen and then upload it to youtube? Maximum trolling. "

I ban you for trolling *hits ban button* ;)  There are so many Family Guy sketches on YouTube, but I failed to find a decent one of Iceman... :( 
 
@jordama:  I'd forgotten that.  I guess PAD thinks he's gay then...  
Moderator
#24 Posted by Mercy_ (92607 posts) - - Show Bio

.....I actually liked Annie.

Moderator
#25 Posted by eldestrisk (632 posts) - - Show Bio

There was the Cloud thing. That would be enough to confuse anyone.
 
After all the hard times he had with women one would think he would likely turn gay, but not probably. There was Zelda, Polaris, Darkstar, Infectia, Opal Tanaka, Mystique, none of them were really healthy relations (with the exception maybe of Zelda), and still he manages to gain strength once more. So I don't think gay is the thing for him, but I can see how someone might get the doubts.
 
Now that I think about it it has been years since writers introduce a new love for him, he doesn't seem interested even. Well, Opal has made some returns now and then, but that is a relation that has no way back.

#26 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm 100% sure he isn't gay.

#27 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio
@White Mage said:
" If Iceman was gay, I would like him.  "
#28 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
".....I actually liked Annie. "

I did too.  
 
Bobby isn't gay and has to my knowledge ever been in any known reality. He even seemed homophobic when he found out Northstar was. someone outside the comic reader world probably made a comment that he had some stereotypical gay qualities
#29 Posted by shadow death (605 posts) - - Show Bio

straight  x3

#30 Posted by shadow death (605 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm not quite sure since i just now watched the video 

#31 Posted by GabrielNox (141 posts) - - Show Bio

Read This

However the writers intent, no, he's not gay, just never allowed to grow up.

#32 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

hes probably a closeted bi-sexual
#33 Posted by Squares (4909 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh! I remember that issue where Northstar said he had a thing for Iceman! Bobby was totally oblivious to it; he didn't even know Northstar was gay. And then he went on this weird pseudo-date-thing with Annie, the nurse. That was awkward...

#34 Posted by SuperboyRob (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Deff not gay i personally would love to see him get with magma
#35 Posted by hydrabob (14977 posts) - - Show Bio

I know I posted in here earlier. but I wanted to state something in Bobby's defense 
 
He dated Polaris that should be enough, not to mention that he was fighting Havok to get some of these girls BOBBY DRAKE NOT GAY
 

Covering myself
#36 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@hydrabob said:
"Covering myself "
Don't worry :) 
 
I'm just more interested in knowing where the rumour that he's gay came from.  But no-one seems to know :(
Moderator
#37 Posted by lokiofmidgaard (332 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's a combination of wishful thinking by some fans who would like him to be gay, combined with, on some boards at least, a level of trolling whereby said fans try to wind up the fans who don't think he's gay.  
 
We could do with more gay characters (and more variety all round), but with Bobby the evidence all supports him being straight, just unlucky in love.
#38 Posted by SpaztikOne (95 posts) - - Show Bio
@lokiofmidgaard said:
I think it's a combination of wishful thinking by some fans who would like him to be gay, combined with, on some boards at least, a level of trolling whereby said fans try to wind up the fans who don't think he's gay.   We could do with more gay characters (and more variety all round), but with Bobby the evidence all supports him being straight, just unlucky in love.
I agree. Also, I think it came about after the Cloud issue (he also had a thing for Darkstar during the same series).
The fact that he is so unlucky in love and has a string of unsuccessful relationships provided some people the ideas that the relationships were meant as cover for his homosexuality - also his bad reaction to Northstar's sexuality. (I don't remember where, but I do know that someone, somewhere posted that it could also have been from his father's repressive personality that Bobby got his staunch denial/rejection of all that wasn't 'normal')
Another thing that could have led to this conclusion is attitude - he never grows up, and seems a little... immature. While there has been some explanation of why he behaves as he does - Nation X has a great telling of it - I think that is why the women never last - or they;re not as into him as he is in them.
#39 Posted by IKnowEverything (359 posts) - - Show Bio

i think he likes a good weiner.

#40 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@IKnowEverything said:
i think he likes a good weiner.
You necro'd a three week old thread for that? really? Your next post should be an apology.
#41 Posted by IKnowEverything (359 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:
@IKnowEverything said:
i think he likes a good weiner.
You necro'd a three week old thread for that? really? Your next post should be an apology.  
somebody has their angry pants on.
#42 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's straight.

#43 Posted by FearTheLiving (2541 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly I wouldn't really care if he was gay or not, but I'm the type of guy that really isn't a huge fan of romance plots and would rather see more pew pew.
 
What do I think? I say he's straight because I don't remember reading anything about someone making him into a ice pop. :P

#44 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

he would maybe be bi

#45 Posted by Sir_Deadpool (461 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jotham: exactly what i thought hahahaaha

bobby is a ladie's man. definetly! totally agree with @Backflip:

#46 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

his costume is too revealing and makes people think he's gay. Maybe he should put some clothes on???

#47 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- Considering how long Iceman has been around in the Marvel U, and the fact he was living with multiple telepaths (with Xavier in his head seemingly every issue), if he was gay someone would have had to have known by now. With all those people living with each other under the same roof, sooner or later we would at least be hinted.

- I just do not see how it could be kept a secret this long under the circumstances, not because of any personal preference for the character.

#48 Posted by MyraMyraMyra (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I'm not getting any strong gay vibes from the way the character has been written thus far. He has a long history of hitting on women & failing at holding one. Not saying that a talented writer couldn't out him as a bisexual (or even as a sexually confused gay man), but so far he's seemed mostly straight to me.

I think that Iceman simply has gay appeal, even if he isn't actually gay himself. He is, after all, a young, fun, sexy & nearly nude male with no prominent female love interests, so I would imagine that he's the type of character who appeals to many gay readers.

#49 Posted by charlespdk (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's just his character. I coming at this with no examples, but he has the qualities that would make him the mostly likely to come out as gay. He's funny, apparently successful with women (to show there's no can't get women angst), well liked, and more of a side character (you'd never see cyclops, jean, or wolverine turn out gay). If one of the original five were to turn out gay, it'd be him.

#50 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I never thought he was. He could be Bi, but I doubt it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.