Shawn Asmore Ready To Be Iceman Again

Posted by G-Man (32415 posts) - - Show Bio
I was never totally crazy with Iceman's portrayal in the X-Men movies.  I don't think I'd say I had a problem with actor Shawn Ashmore's performance.  I think it's more how the character was changed.  It was a more "Ultimate Iceman" approach to the character since he was younger than both Cyclops and Jean.

What hope is there for Ashmore to return to the character?  He recently spoke with Sci Fi Wire and mentioned that he still has another film contracted and that he would love to play the character again.  But how likely is that?
As far as an X4, that's been debated and talked about forever. I don't think an X-Men 4 will happen, and that's my opinion. That's not anything I've heard from anybody official. I just know how tough it was to get everybody together scheduling-wise for [X-Men: The Last Stand]. There's just so many major actors involved. I think that's just such a challenge.

He also said that he understands that with the upcoming "X-Men: First Class," they'd probably want to go with a younger actor.  If "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" does well, we can expect more "Origins" movies, most likely.  What would the chance of an "Iceman Origins" movie happening?  I don't think he's a strong enough character to carry his own film.  What do you think?  Should Ashmore give up hope?
Staff
#1 Posted by DeadPool a.k.a Wade Wilson (979 posts) - - Show Bio

I too never really like Iceman, and frankly i wasn't crazy about any of the X-men movies, the best being the third part..... and even that was meh for me. I too never really like Iceman, and frankly i wasn't crazy about any of the X-men movies, the best being the third part..... and even that was meh for me.

#2 Posted by Bio Guyver (6852 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he should go with First Class, instead of an Iceman Origins.

#3 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Actor wise he did ok, I was just kinda disappointed with his use. Can't blame the actor for that.

#4 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he was great as Iceman :D

although the Iceman we all wanted to see (Solid Iceman) was only on the screen for like three seconds. I think he is a cool actor and although no one quite liked the movie everyone loved that little moment :)

I remember it like if it was yesterday, people went nuts in the theater when those 3 seconds Solid Iceman happened XD

#5 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not the one on Smallville is he, that's his brother??

anyway, Shawn = <3

#6 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
Nobody said:
"Actor wise he did ok, I was just kinda disappointed with his use. Can't blame the actor for that."
Agreed.  He did a good job and was a good romantic interest for Rogue... but Iceman was too young, and he really was under used.  Action wise, his best moments were an ice-wall in X2, and his face off against Pyro in X3.
#7 Posted by wordchallenge (151 posts) - - Show Bio

He was way underused in the movies.  He is such a deep and powerful character when treated right by the writers.  He doesn't get enough respect.
If he is in another movie I wouldn't mind seeing Ashmore portray him again, but anoter actor could just as easily come in and protray him because Ashmore's Iceman didn't really do much anything that was memorable except beat Pyro.

#8 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio
Bio Guyver said:
"I think he should go with First Class, instead of an Iceman Origins."
I don't think Iceman will be on first Class, even if he should.

according to what I read first Class starts just after Wolverine Origins events, at that time Bobby would be too young.

The First Class original roster will change. No Bobby, no Angel and probably a hairless Beast.

#9 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

there was a "child storm" and a teenaged Scott and Emma, so i'm sure Iceman's age wouldn't matter

#10 Posted by starman1994 (303 posts) - - Show Bio

Turns out this guy is identical twins with the guy that play Jimmy Olsen on Smallville

#11 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
starman1994 said:
"

Turns out this guy is identical twins with the guy that play Jimmy Olsen on Smallville

"
twas what i said!
#12 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course he is ready....what else does he have going.

#13 Posted by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio

he jas doone a decent amount of hero related/scifi shows and movies

X-Men
Smallville
Animorphs
The Famous Jet Jackson
Earth Final Conflict
Wolf girl

#14 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
starman1994 said:
"Turns out this guy is identical twins with the guy that play Jimmy Olsen on Smallville"
Aaron Ashmore.

pixelized said:
"there was a "child storm" and a teenaged Scott and Emma, so i'm sure Iceman's age wouldn't matter"
But 'child Storm' was a de-aged Storm... and I think she's  been cut ;)

But this is Hollywood we're talking about... I'm sure they'll retcon/re-write it somehow to say Iceman's really the same age as Cyclops & Beast ;p
#15 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
SUNMAN said:
"he jas doone a decent amount of hero related/scifi shows and movies

X-Men
Smallville
Animorphs
The Famous Jet Jackson
Earth Final Conflict
Wolf girl

"
him or his twin?
#16 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
"starman1994 said:
"Turns out this guy is identical twins with the guy that play Jimmy Olsen on Smallville"
Aaron Ashmore.

pixelized said:
"there was a "child storm" and a teenaged Scott and Emma, so i'm sure Iceman's age wouldn't matter"
But 'child Storm' was a de-aged Storm... and I think she's  been cut ;)

But this is Hollywood we're talking about... I'm sure they'll retcon/re-write it somehow to say Iceman's really the same age as Cyclops & Beast ;p
"
Well he is closer than how they made him in the X-movies.
#17 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio
SUNMAN said:

X-Men
Smallville
Animorphs
The Famous Jet Jackson
Earth Final Conflict
Wolf girl

"
Thanks for making my case for me........lame.
#18 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
pixelized said:
But 'child Storm' was a de-aged Storm...

you've watched??? ;)
#19 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

He was good in Earthsea. But yeah I don't imagine they'll use him again if they stay in continuity for an X-Men: First Class movie unless they split off into another series with a New Mutants or X-Force type movie. Keep the kids from X-men 1 to 3 and have them out on their own without teachers.

#20 Posted by King Saturn (224026 posts) - - Show Bio
I sort of like Shawn Ashmore...
#21 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Needs to be a team

#22 Posted by grimm (525 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like a spiderman and his amazing friends movie.

Oh and a Kitty Pryde movie. She is the coolest x-man ever.
So idc as long as I see Shadowcat and she isn't played by ellen Page.
And I do agree that all of the character's personalities were changed for the X-movies
#23 Posted by High Revolutionary (3166 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed Pyro's character much more than Iceman's.  Although they were both great actors, and great choices for the roles.

#24 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio
grimm said:
"I'd like a spiderman and his amazing friends movie.
Oh and a Kitty Pryde movie. She is the coolest x-man ever.
So idc as long as I see Shadowcat and she isn't played by ellen Page.
And I do agree that all of the character's personalities were changed for the X-movies"
What's wrong with Ellen Page as Kitty?
#25 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

Iceman wasn't even important in the X-movies.  If he doesn't get an X4, he can kiss all of his chances goodbye.

#26 Posted by superboy12 (255 posts) - - Show Bio

he was an okay guy if they do make x men first class maybe it would be cool if he came back

#27 Posted by Vindellavon (425 posts) - - Show Bio

Please, no.

#28 Posted by Green Flash (155 posts) - - Show Bio

I say First Class or Origins and the part where he headbutts pyro was definetly the highlight of x3!

#29 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

Iceman in X-Men: First Class might work but just a stand alone Iceman movie wouldn't. If they're planning on making more "X-Men Origins" movies I'd start with Cyclops since he's in the Wolverine movie and Mister Sinister could be the main villain.

#30 Posted by LastSon1027 (516 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree Iceman isn't a strong enough character to carry a major motion picture. But I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him reprise the role in another X-men movie.

#31 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

i liked him as ice man in the movies. Ice man is my favorite x men character. I would like to retcon to make him older but some how keep him as the actor

#32 Posted by Usual Suspect (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever Shawn Ashmore is in as Drake..I'm not watching it.

#33 Posted by Skellex (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Shawn wasn't in SMALLVILLE or Animorphs - it was his brother.

#34 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
Skellex said:
"Shawn wasn't in SMALLVILLE or Animorphs - it was his brother."
he was in smallville he played leech his brother plays jimmy and he played Jake Berenson in animorphs.
#35 Posted by Venom=sickest (143 posts) - - Show Bio

I read this as, "Pauly Shore Ready To Be Iceman" and died.

#36 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel will not bank on a Iceman movie. Ever. I just don't see it happening for a number of reasons. One; Iceman's backstory in the comics was covered in X2 when he went back home and confronted his parents and I don't think Shawn is a strong enough actor to carry a whole movie about Iceman (someone who mind you is underused in the original medium of comics) who wasn't really a strong character in the movies.

I mean, really, Bobby is a normal kid who turns into a mutant and nothing interesting happens until Xavier recruits him into the X-Men in the comics. What possible story could they tell pre-X-Men for Bobby in a movie? A teenage drama about a kid who shoots ice from his hands and has a crush on this Japanese chick named Opal Tanaka? I'd love to see that script.

Origin movies should be reserved to those who actually have Origin stories outside of the X-Men and there aren't many. Magneto, Wolverine, Xavier, anyone else who's old and actually has backstory prior to becoming a X-Man.

#37 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:
"starman1994 said:
Aaron Ashmore.
"
Shawn Ashmore appeared on Smallville before his brother though, back in Season 1 I think it was, Shawn played the villain who took Clark's power through electricity/kryptonite

anyways, I thought this guy was good for his role...but since X4 will never happen I guess it doesn't really matter
#38 Posted by Ultimate Tater (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasnt overly pleased with the protrayal of Iceman but then again i didnt like how any of the X-men movies went.  I do think however that Shawn Ashmore did a great job with what was given to him for Iceman. Are their possibilities of Iceman coming back in the movies?  Deffinately!  I mean look at how thrown around the story was for the three X-men movies, you could easily show some of his encounters with Emma Frost who was introduced in Origins: Wolverine.  How she showed him his true potential, how his powers grew exponencially.... but also since its hollywood and they will take one bit of true and twist it to make a story that everyone will hopefully like and comic book people will curse lol sling together Rogues Team... Throw in X-factor but use some of the more current characters as the founders are now dead (in the movies) and just go with it.  They could easily get plenty of new and interesting characters that could easily relate with todays problems and even lead into an X-factor Investigations movie.  With enough thought and spin they could easily bring a great character like Iceman back, and i am really hoping for it!

#39 Edited by RaDicalCannibal (1053 posts) - - Show Bio

Shawn ashmore didnt 'Look like Iceman' too me........really the actor has to bring the character to life......like Hugh jackman with wolverine, And Charles xavier.........Shawn ashmore as iceman ? just didnt do it for me....it wasnt there

#40 Posted by JLAsuperdude (174 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
"SUNMAN said:

X-Men
Smallville
Animorphs
The Famous Jet Jackson
Earth Final Conflict
Wolf girl

"
him or his twin?"

He did one of the episodes in season 1 then after that his brother took on the role of jimmy
#41 Posted by SUNMAN (7228 posts) - - Show Bio

of course he wants to be Iceman again what else is he doing. Now that his character was killed of in Smallville he is not doing much

#42 Posted by Iceman19 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Iceman but in the movie they make him to shy and quiet. But i thinks that they choose the perfect actor and they do a good job anyway

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.