Is Iceman Jewish??

Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio
#1 Posted by Mattersuit (4270 posts) - - Show Bio

Iceman's mother was Jewish. By descent, he if therefore, Jewish, although he does not practice the faith.

His ethnic identity and religious identity are quite different, is what it seems to me.

#2 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mattersuit: So I guess he grew up in a non-observant kind of home!! Because when there is a mix of religions in parents... religion gets kinda fuzzy!! Kinda like me, my dad is Greek Orthodox but my mother is Jewish!! We technically grew up Jewish but religion hasn't become a huge part of our lives!! So I guess Iceman's father's background is stronger in him because if u take a look at him, he does not look Jewish at all!! Blonde hair, blue eyes, white WHITE skin...

#3 Posted by Mattersuit (4270 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: I believe his father was Christian.

#4 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mattersuit said:

See... he looks more Christian than anything!!

#5 Posted by Mattersuit (4270 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: I completely agree.

#6 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mattersuit: The typical qualities of Jews are (and I'm Jewish so I'm not being any type of whatever people could think of) big dark brown hair, somewhat big nose, freckles (at least somewhere), funny and outspoken personality (Bobby's got that one!!), and hairy (for men at least...). Now I just described the typical Jewish looking person, or I think I described myself, who's judging??...

#7 Posted by OmegaDynasty (9184 posts) - - Show Bio
@papad1992 said:

@Mattersuit: The typical qualities of Jews are (and I'm Jewish so I'm not being any type of whatever people could think of) big dark brown hair, somewhat big nose, freckles (at least somewhere), funny and outspoken personality (Bobby's got that one!!), and hairy (for men at least...). Now I just described the typical Jewish looking person, or I think I described myself, who's judging??...

You mean something like this? 
#8 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@OmegaDynasty said:

@papad1992 said:

You mean something like this?

Ewwww.... if I looked like that I'd volunteer for experimental make-up testings!!!

#9 Posted by Vortex13 (12221 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: First off, the Idea that there is a Jewish personality is kind of silly seeing as personalities aren't tied to religion race or genetics it's due to upbringing and what not.

Also the comment about looking christian also seems odd since you have Christians of all different races. I also have a few friends that are Jewish and one of them has blond hair and um green or blue eyes? (I don't really know I don't really pay attention that much to his eyes lol.) There is no set look to the appearance to someone based on they're religion. True a large amount of Jews do look the way you described them, but it is genetics that determine looks not religion.

#10 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vortex13 said:

@papad1992: First off, the Idea that there is a Jewish personality is kind of silly seeing as personalities aren't tied to religion race or genetics it's due to upbringing and what not.

Also the comment about looking christian also seems odd since you have Christians of all different races. I also have a few friends that are Jewish and one of them has blond hair and um green or blue eyes? (I don't really know I don't really pay attention that much to his eyes lol.) There is no set look to the appearance to someone based on they're religion. True a large amount of Jews do look the way you described them, but it is genetics that determine looks not religion.

I was describing the "typical stereotype" of a Jew... if u care to read in one of my previous posts!! And Jews are usually characterized by having a smart knack for knowing how to handle and organize money and have outgoing personalities and always making funny/smart-assed remarks! I was describing the typical Jew!! I know this because I lived in Israel for one year and saw plenty of examples!!! True, genetics are what determine ur outlook but I wasn't talking about genetics. And same goes for when I described Bobby as "christian looking" I'm just going off a regular stereotyped basis... no need to get into genetics and religion too much!! This is a comic blog about a fictional character not a high school science or religion of other cultures class!!

#11 Posted by Illuminatus (9480 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does it matter? I've never once seen Bobby actually state that he shared the same religious views as other Jewish people, so he could hardly be deemed a member of the Jewish faith at any rate.

#12 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

Why does it matter? I've never once seen Bobby actually state that he shared the same religious views as other Jewish people, so he could hardly be deemed a member of the Jewish faith at any rate.

Well it's very touching and realistic (I feel anyways) that a character embrace heritage and religion!! It makes them feel more down to earth!! Sabra is a pure example of that!! She is the heroine of Israel and a Mossad Agent and embraces her culture and religion!! Even Kitty Pryde embraces her culture!! I love the scene when in the New X-Men's story arc Childhood's End when everyone is at the funeral and Kitty is reading a passage in honor of the fallen kids and a pretty visible Star of David is resting right there on her chest!! It makes the moment more sentimental!! Magneto especially embraces his culture and religion!! His past is what made him...

#13 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (11473 posts) - - Show Bio

If he was Jewish would he be allowed to do this? (Not sarcasm)

Consecrated Iceman
#14 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@GrandSymbiote94 said:

If he was Jewish would he be allowed to do this? (Not sarcasm)
Consecrated Iceman

Where's that from... I think I remember reading that somewhere!!?

#15 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (11473 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@GrandSymbiote94 said:

@papad1992: I didn't read the issue myself. But I know it's from the Curse of the Mutants arc.

Hmmmm..... Don't know what to think about that one!! Is the father there to throw holy water on everyone or what!?

#17 Posted by GrandSymbiote94 (11473 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: He's supposed to bless the Ice to make into holy ice I guess.

#18 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@GrandSymbiote94 said:

@papad1992: He's supposed to bless the Ice to make into holy ice I guess.

I could be soooo ignorant and disregard that whole entire crap of a story!! But I can't. But don't forget that Iceman's father was Catholic (or Irish Catholic I believe) so maybe it was writer's fault!!!

#19 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

In Uncanny X-men #524 when Kurt died Scott asked Warren to prepare the body and for Bobby to read the last rites, in that same comic Bobby points out that he is actually a Methodist.

#20 Posted by Vortex13 (12221 posts) - - Show Bio

@GrandSymbiote94: Is that the arc they where they were fighting vampires lol?

#21 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

In Uncanny X-men #524 when Kurt died Scott asked Warren to prepare the body and for Bobby to read the last rites, in that same comic Bobby points out that he is actually a Methodist.

Proof... I need proof!!! Stat!!!

#22 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vortex13 said:

@GrandSymbiote94: Is that the arc they where they were fighting vampires lol?

Yes!! Eh, the worst story involving over-rated vampires and mutant heroes clashed into one confusing circling story!!

#23 Posted by Vortex13 (12221 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: Well blessing Iceman is not as good as when Cal Mcdonald drank Holy water then pissed on a dieing Dracula lol.

#24 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's the scan where Scott asks Warren to prepare the body while Bobby will perform the last rites. Hold on a bit as I find the other scan.

#25 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

And here's the part where he as he reads Kurts last rites points out that he is a Methodist

#26 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

And here's the part where he as he reads Kurts last rites points out that he is a Methodist

I was gonna say u don't have to post this but u beat me to it!! I ran to go get my Second Coming book and flipped to the page of Kurt's burial but here it is anyways!! :P

Guess I can't argue here!! Oh, well... I wish I could have found something to counter this page but can't find anything!!

#27 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vortex13 said:

@papad1992: Well blessing Iceman is not as good as when Cal Mcdonald drank Holy water then pissed on a dieing Dracula lol.

Ewww...

#28 Edited by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992: On the bright side you still have a Jewish representative in the X-men via Kitty. The one that represented mine died in Second Coming. :P

#29 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

@papad1992: On the bright side you still have a Jewish representative in the X-men via Kitty. The one that represented mine died in Second Coming. :P

That's sad and comforting at the same time!! lol

I actually looked up what Iceman's last name "Drake" comes from... and it deprives itself from many countries, including: England, France, Poland, Israel, Germany, Ukraine, and Dutch.

#30 Posted by Risky (12629 posts) - - Show Bio
@Steps said:

Crap, you beat me to it. Good job finding the exact issue, I'm always too lazy for that.
#31 Posted by TheWholeDamnShow (758 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

@Mattersuit said:

How does someone look Christian?

#32 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheWholeDamnShow said:

@papad1992 said:

@Mattersuit said:

How does someone look Christian?

The same way how I look Jewish (even though that sounds stupid and uneducated, but still) I know u can't look a religion, but u can have certain traits that other people of the same religion do!!

#33 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Iceman's mother is Jewish but his father is Irish Catholic.

I suppose that would make him ethnically Jewish.

Cultural and religious identification are very different, however. I've never seen Bobby make reference to his faith in comics.

Bobby performing last rites at Nightcrawler's funeral is probably more of a sign of respect for his friend's religious beliefs than of his own religious views.

#34 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

Iceman's mother is Jewish but his father is Irish Catholic.

I suppose that would make him ethnically Jewish.

Cultural and religious identification are very different, however. I've never seen Bobby make reference to his faith in comics.

Bobby performing last rites at Nightcrawler's funeral is probably more of a sign of respect for his friend's religious beliefs than of his own religious views.

Exactly my point! He performed Kurt's ceremony out of respect for his religion. (But I don't know if there was somebody else closer to his religion type that could've read for him instead of Bobby).

#35 Posted by PowerHerc (80623 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess the writers have confused the issue.

#36 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

Always felt that they should have left religion out of the story since in a marvel or dc world religion and the super natural is such a big part of every day life in their world. I mean how do you meet someone like Galactus or Eternity or Mephisto etc etc etc and not let it affect your religious beliefs?

#37 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@Enosisik said:

Always felt that they should have left religion out of the story since in a marvel or dc world religion and the super natural is such a big part of every day life in their world. I mean how do you meet someone like Galactus or Eternity or Mephisto etc etc etc and not let it affect your religious beliefs?

My point exactly!!

#38 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

IKR.. Lol I mean no disrespect to anyones religion but just speaking in terms of comics walking on water and rising from the dead and most other religious based feats would be a pretty low rated feats in comparison to most heroes. It just doesn't fit in with the comic universe very well.

#39 Posted by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

@Enosisik: It's all a matter of opinion... Some people take religion very seriously.

#40 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992. Lol It has nothing to do with opinion it has to do with the perspective of people in a fictional universe . I'm not talking about real ppl obviously. It's a whole different situation for them and logically religion would be very different for them than it is for us.

#41 Posted by griftercurling (2 posts) - - Show Bio

In the Iceman mini-series #1 in 1984, he said he was half-Catholic, half-Jewish, but he didn't specify which parent was which. That's all I've got for information.

#42 Edited by papad1992 (6821 posts) - - Show Bio

In the Iceman mini-series #1 in 1984, he said he was half-Catholic, half-Jewish, but he didn't specify which parent was which. That's all I've got for information.

That's interesting... In normal familial traditional, the child takes on the religion/preference of the mother while that child takes on the last name of the father. So in a traditional sense, depending on what religion his mother is, so makes him that as well. Like my father is Greek Orthodox while my mother is Jewish, so all my life I was raised Jewish.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.