Iceman keeps getting the shaft...would he be more interesting if?

#1 Posted by Thunderscream (1810 posts) - - Show Bio

he were African American?

Characters' races have been open to reinterpretation in the past. Locus was very clearly a blonde white chick and then POOF she's a mocha maiden with Minnie Mouse puffballs. Kingpin got the treatment in the Daredevil movie and Nick Fury went black and hasn't gone back in the Ultimate Universe AND the movies. I'm just curious to see what the general consensus is about changing the race of a character (whether for movies or an alternate universe or whatever), and if anybody'd be intrigued to see Bobby as a black man.

#2 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

Iceman is just one of the hard to write characters. it's easier for writers to just ignore him, then to explain why he doesn't just stop every problem ever with a flash freeze and such. His race wouldn't change that.

It's characters who's powers are too easy to use to solve problems quickly that are hard to write for, especially when they are X-Men being that if the high powered guys got more spotlight, the more mid range and lower tier guys would be worthless.

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (12767 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, this is a touchy subject...there should be a good reason to change the race of a character other than a lame attempt at ethnic diversity like they did with Fury

The Only reason Kingpin was black in Daredevil is because there wasn't any well known white actors with that kind of physical presence, and Duncan was hot at the time,

lol...mocha maiden

#4 Posted by ntb1124 (949 posts) - - Show Bio
@Caligula said:
Iceman is just one of the hard to write characters. it's easier for writers to just ignore him, then to explain why he doesn't just stop every problem ever with a flash freeze and such. His race wouldn't change that.  It's characters who's powers are too easy to use to solve problems quickly that are hard to write for, especially when they are X-Men being that if the high powered guys got more spotlight, the more mid range and lower tier guys would be worthless.
This, he got so powered up that he is hard to use because he can completely overshadow the rest of the characters of a team, I think he could be in a solo book, but I am not sure if people would buy it...(I would)
#5 Posted by Green Flash (155 posts) - - Show Bio

agree with @Caligula.  Does anyone know which x-book he features most prominently in?  I 'm not up on the x-books, but want to get back into them. 

#6 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, because the black characters feature so predominately in comics :)

#7 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

Really and a few have pulled at this string already, what's needed is to get Iceman (and a couple other X-characters) out of the X-books and somewhere where
there aren't as many different characters to focus on, too many other spotlight characters to nerf with his power, and most importantly enough of a level of danger
to actually challenge him, which means he may not be an appropriate character to even be Earth bound at this point. 

#8 Posted by digimod (239 posts) - - Show Bio

(sarcasm on) That would work out great - a black character that becomes more powerful when he turns white.

#9 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE said:

Really and a few have pulled at this string already, what's needed is to get Iceman (and a couple other X-characters) out of the X-books and somewhere where there aren't as many different characters to focus on, too many other spotlight characters to nerf with his power, and most importantly enough of a level of danger to actually challenge him, which means he may not be an appropriate character to even be Earth bound at this point.

I think he should be with Cosmic class guys.

#10 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio
@digimod: LOL !
#11 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he will be apart of Emmas team (as far as the image shows) when Schism hits. It would be interesting to see his character with her more. 

#12 Posted by Degalon (737 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATPANEXE said:
Really and a few have pulled at this string already, what's needed is to get Iceman (and a couple other X-characters) out of the X-books and somewhere where there aren't as many different characters to focus on, too many other spotlight characters to nerf with his power, and most importantly enough of a level of danger to actually challenge him, which means he may not be an appropriate character to even be Earth bound at this point. 
He needs to pull a Wolverine and be put on the Avengers or some other "high level threat" team to really take advantage of his powers.  He's easily Thor-level. (Not in physical strength, but overall magnitude of his powers).
#13 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

So to make him a better character, you think changing him into a black guy is gonna work?  

No, it doesn't work like that. lol 

#14 Posted by White Angel Of Death (691 posts) - - Show Bio
Side note, iceman has been shown to reform BUT not reforrm and then get shattered and reform again, continuously. So to say that he can just reform himself again and again and again and again is presumptuous is it not? Would it not wear him down eventually until he has no energy left to reform?
#15 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio

Because making him black would clearly make him a lot easier to write. 

I don't see that happening. lol

#16 Posted by xmenboy (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Iceman is mainly shown in his ice form so would make a difference with the race since ice is the same color

#17 Posted by jakeeboi17 (4369 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really see too much use in changing his race :/

#18 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

No.He's op. Changing his race won't change anything.

#19 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

If he was black there would just be people making comments about how he becomes white when he uses his powers.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.