Follow

Icarus

Character » Icarus appears in 361 issues.

Icarus was a mutant with feathered wings, brother to Cannonball and Husk. He was killed in an attack by William Stryker and his men. Like many other previously killed mutants, Joshua was brought back to life on the island of Krakoa.

Uncanny X-Men: She lies with Angels

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Edited By IllyanaRasputin

So i just finished reading,   Uncanny X-Men: She lies with Angels and let me tell you how sad it was... 
    You guys should deff pick up this book and read it... I love the Guthrie's, whenever I read about them I always tear up... yeah I tear up while reading comic books it can get emotional... Josh / Jay / Icarus whatever you want to call him is such a sweet guy, I feel so bad for him :( But it all makes sense now why he's so like anti-fighting and all that jazz... stupid Cabot family... Ugh  

How did you guys like these issues if you read them? 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

Personally, I felt that Chuck Austen was trying to rewrite Guthrie history.   

Josh used to want to be a mutant, but was bitter that he wasn't 'special' like Sam.  All of a sudden he grows wings??  It just didn't make sense.  And the sudden desire to change his name?  You can't just decide that you have a different name.   And the whole addition of a Hillbilly style clan warefare with the Cabots was dreadful stereotyping. 

That whole era of Uncanny X-Men was bitterly disappointing.  The characters made just as little sense as they do in Uncanny X-Men now.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_
    Hope was the first Uncanny comic that I read and She Lies With Angels is from around the same time. They're stories that I enjoy and that I find nostalgic, as they're some of the first comics I read. 
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    "Hope was the first Uncanny comic that I read and She Lies With Angels is from around the same time. They're stories that I enjoy and that I find nostalgic, as they're some of the first comics I read.  "

That's fair.  I think that most people enjoyed the era or arcs that they first read.  Just as I like the story where Calisto ordered the Morlocks to kidnap Angel, since it was one of my first stories... even though it's hardly Eisner award winning material ;)
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mercy_
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    "Hope was the first Uncanny comic that I read and She Lies With Angels is from around the same time. They're stories that I enjoy and that I find nostalgic, as they're some of the first comics I read.  "
    That's fair.  I think that most people enjoyed the era or arcs that they first read.  Just as I like the story where Calisto ordered the Morlocks to kidnap Angel, since it was one of my first stories... even though it's hardly Eisner award winning material ;) "
    I agree. They'll always hold a special place in my heart. Of course, now that I've expanded my X-Men knowledge and read stuff written by other writers, I can see how out of character some of the stuff was, how some of it was plot device and some of it was shock value and some of it hasn't been mentioned since (Annie Ghazikhanian, Jay attempting to kill himself after Julie died). 
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty

I still have a problem with Josh changing his name to Jay.  But, one thing that story did do was make him a popular character (even if he was annoyingly emo forever after).

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mercy_

I didn't know the character before that story, so there's nothing for me to really have a problem with as far as how faithful it was to the character. Same reason why the majority of Geoff Johns' retcons don't bother me; I never read Green Lantern before he was writing it. 

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " I still have a problem with Josh changing his name to Jay.  But, one thing that story did do was make him a popular character (even if he was annoyingly emo forever after). "
    He was so EMO! And what is up with the name change? I am glad he was brutally murdered, because he whined like a bitch.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Illyana Rasputin said:
    "He was so EMO! And what is up with the name change? I am glad he was brutally murdered, because he whined like a bitch."
    Woah!  Whiney... yes.  Deserve to die...?  A bit harsh! ;)
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By John Valentine
    @Illyana Rasputin said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:
    " I still have a problem with Josh changing his name to Jay.  But, one thing that story did do was make him a popular character (even if he was annoyingly emo forever after). "
    He was so EMO! And what is up with the name change? I am glad he was brutally murdered, because he whined like a bitch. "
    Hahaha! 
    He was an idiot who ended up betraying the X-Men.
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @xerox-kitty
    @Illyana Rasputin said:
    "He was so EMO! And what is up with the name change? I am glad he was brutally murdered, because he whined like a bitch."
    Woah!  Whiney... yes.  Deserve to die...?  A bit harsh! ;)
    Maybe a bit harsh. Poor Dust almost died because of him.
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @John Valentine said:
    " @Illyana Rasputin said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:
    He was so EMO! And what is up with the name change? I am glad he was brutally murdered, because he whined like a bitch. "
    Hahaha! He was an idiot who ended up betraying the X-Men. "
    Is it me, or did poor Icarus have one of the crappiest histories in the Marvel Universe?
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By John Valentine
    @Illyana Rasputin said:
    " @John Valentine said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:
    Is it me, or did poor Icarus have one of the crappiest histories in the Marvel Universe? "
    I'm sure the students who had everything to live for and died in the bus attack had it worse.
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @John Valentine said:
    " @John Valentine said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:
    Is it me, or did poor Icarus have one of the crappiest histories in the Marvel Universe? "
    I'm sure the students who had everything to live for and died in the bus attack had it worse. "
    I know! Poor Rubbermaid. Poor, poor Rubbermaid.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By John Valentine
    @Illyana Rasputin said:  

Please, the saddest death was Tag by a long shot.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Illyana Rasputin said:
    "Is it me, or did poor Icarus have one of the crappiest histories in the Marvel Universe? "
    Well, he & the other short-lived student bodies from the Institute could form a new Concept list... instead of the Women in Refrigerators, it could be Expendable Supers, Student Fodder, or something like that.  Quick, get on the phone to Kyle & Yost and tell them to give this an official name ;) 

@John Valentine said:
    " @Illyana Rasputin said:   Please, the saddest death was Tag by a long shot. "
    Extremely, but I was most saddened by Laurie.   

As for Josh/Jay (trying to bring it back on topic ;) at least he slightly redeemed himself in his dying moments by trying to leave info for the others to find.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By John Valentine
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "@John Valentine said:
    Extremely, but I was most saddened by Laurie.    As for Josh/Jay (trying to bring it back on topic ;) at least he slightly redeemed himself in his dying moments by trying to leave info for the others to find. "
    Indeed, that was sad. I liked Laurie, but I valued the effects of her death more than anything she did when alive.

He wasn't even competent enough to fully form the word. They didn't know what was happening until the Stryker turned up at the Institute with his Nimrod arm and blew the place apart.
    Avatar image for illyanarasputin
    IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By IllyanaRasputin
    @xerox-kitty said:
    "Is it me, or did poor Icarus have one of the crappiest histories in the Marvel Universe? "
    Well, he & the other short-lived student bodies from the Institute could form a new Concept list... instead of the Women in Refrigerators, it could be Expendable Supers, Student Fodder, or something like that.  Quick, get on the phone to Kyle & Yost and tell them to give this an official name ;) 

@John Valentine said:
    Extremely, but I was most saddened by Laurie.    As for Josh/Jay (trying to bring it back on topic ;) at least he slightly redeemed himself in his dying moments by trying to leave info for the others to find. "  

Agreed... Laurie was the saddest to see go :( In my option anyway
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @xerox-kitty said:

@John Valentine said:
    (Rings Kyle & Yost) Hello, Kyle & Yost, this is Illyana Rasputin from Comic Vine (Pauses) Yes, I know I sound like a guy, but that's not the point, here. Look, what do you think of Scarlet Witch's Bitches as a Concept  for the entire study body you killed off at Xavier's? (Pause) Too soon? Okay, bye.
    Jubilantlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jubilantlad
    @Illyana Rasputin: I think I love you.
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @Jubilantlad
    @Illyana Rasputin: I think I love you.
    I think I love you, too.
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PYH000

I've read some issues of New X-men Academy X and Icarus seemed less emo than how he was portrayed before which was a good thing. The most emo character of all was Kevin Ford (Wither) which I've felt a bit impatient about it with all of his doom and gloom even if the harm his powers can do was grounded in truth.

I've heard the reason Josh changed his name to Jay was because there already was a character named Josh (aka Elixir). If anything, we can all say Josh Guthrie's nickname is "Jay".

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.