Follow

I am An Avenger

Volume »

An anthology starring various members of Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Featuring a rotating roster of talent.

Review: I Am An Avenger #1

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    A variety of shorts starring members and associates of the Avengers, including the Young Avengers, Iron Fist & Misty Knight, the Pet Avengers and Squirrel Girl. 

The Good   

For a story that could have easily been a heavy-handed navel gazer, the short about Iron Fist and Misty Knight unpacking in their apartment and reminiscing about their sad baby scare was actually pretty well done. You get some good drama, but things are smartly kept understated. The Young Avengers story also got some good fun and Whedon-esque banter while still getting the proper continuity house cleaning done. I'm not sure if it's going to be a good idea to have two Hawkeyes running around at the same time, but the reasoning given was definitely in-character.  

The Bad    

I don't get what the point of the Squirrel Girl short was except to show that the character's back in New York. It sets itself up to be a gag short, but there wasn't really a punchline. It also have the same kind of puzzling non-event quality that the Young Lords short in that Heroic Age special had. It's just there to show one group of characters reacting to a flyby by a more notable hero. That's really it?

The Verdict - 3.5/5  

Between this and the various Heroic Age anthologies, I figure Marvel's opted to do branch-specific anthology minis as opposed to Marvel Presents or, in this case, an Avengers Unlimited-type book. These aren't too important in the scope of things, but they're handy opportunities to check-in on characters like the Young Avengers and see small moments that might've gotten lost in the shuffle of big events (as was the case with the Iron Fist/Misty Knight story.)     
    Avatar image for spider_man_2996
    spider-man 2996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#1  Edited By spider-man 2996
    SOUNDS FUN
    iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By iLLituracy

Does...that mean the Pet Avengers are now canon? 

HaHaManHV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By HaHaManHV
    @iLLituracy: I highly doubt they're canon, I think that was just for fun. But wouldn't that be interesting? Uh...
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Jordanstine
    @iLLituracy said:
    "Does...that mean the Pet Avengers are now canon?  "

Nah.

But I do like Throg!  Btw, I'm still waiting for Wolverine the Wolverine.
    -Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By -Eclipse-

Pet Avengers have always been canon, fools! You can't ignore their awesomeness! 

But what's this about Danny and Misty's 'baby scare'? O_o 

I followed Immortal Iron Fist to the end and as far as I recall, Misty WAS pregnant. When did they reveal it was only a scare? o.o

cwpolzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By cwpolzel  Moderator

More Pet Avengers!?!
    Eggimann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Eggimann

I hate that they only had a short page for SQ in both this and Age Of Heroes. Love the character and she and GLA needs another mini, or even an ongoing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.