Follow

Huntress (Bertinelli)

Character » Huntress (Bertinelli) appears in 1166 issues.

Helena Bertinelli, born into one of Gotham's mafia families, became a spy and vigilante, destroying those that had killed her family. As a key member of the Birds of Prey, she has moved toward brutal, but non-lethal methods for fighting crime.

I WANT MORE HUNTRESS!!!!!!

AntiHeroMofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AntiHeroMofo

OK maybe I haven't been keeping up with current events in comics but the last I heard of Huntress was that she got stomped (yet again) by somebody named the White Canary. I'm getting so sick and tired of hearing of one my favs getting her a$$ kicked. It's like when can I see her kick some serious butt? When am I going to see more character development? It's like DC is screwing her just like Marvel is doing Storm(another fav of mine)currently. When was the last time there was a goood loooonnng internal look at this woman? Cry for Blood? Yea, that was how many years ago? I would also like to read Birds of Prey and find out that it's not about Miss Canary. YOU'RE MARRIED TO OLIVER QUEEN AND YOU'RE HAPPY! I GET IT! I could be getting emotional right now but this is the Vine so...anyone who agrees or disagrees, let it be known. All opinions are welcome. Not to say they won't be debated but they're welcome. Let us begin.
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Crom-Cruach

My big problem with Huntress is that I can't find anything particularly unique about her. I've liked some of her appearances, like in Hush or how she was portrayed in the No Man's land arc. But aside from that, she just doesn't stand out for me.

Also based on her background. It makes perfect sense that dozens of characters would kick her ass all over the place.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Silver2467
    @Crom-Cruach said:
    " My big problem with Huntress is that I can't find anything particularly unique about her. I've liked some of her appearances, like in Hush or how she was portrayed in the No Man's land arc. But aside from that, she just doesn't stand out for me.  Also based on her background. It makes perfect sense that dozens of characters would kick her ass all over the place. "
    That is an understatement. Huntress is one of the single most pathetic street levelers in comic history. She has no legitimate showings at all, whatsoever, and yet she still carries herself as if she could defeat BatMan. Honestly, she pisses me off sometimes. Although, I may be prejudiced against her because I do not like antiheroes. 
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Silver2467 said:
    " Although, I may be prejudiced against her because I do not like antiheroes.  "
    For my part I don't like poorly written characters. Which is why I don't hate her as I found her cool in No man's land and Hush.
    Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Silver2467
    @Crom-Cruach said:
    " @Silver2467 said:
    " Although, I may be prejudiced against her because I do not like antiheroes.  "
    For my part I don't like poorly written characters. Which is why I don't hate her as I found her cool in No man's land and Hush. "
    I just do not like her, period. I like the Birds of Prey series. I love Oracle to death, and I also do like Canary's character. Huntress is what usually kills it for me. 
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Silver2467: I understand that completely. Truth be told in some stories I read she was just plain annoying. But I liked Hush and No Man's land enough not to hate her. Unlike some characters I just can't stand. That said Oracle is awesome.
    Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Silver2467
    @Crom-Cruach: I agree. I could stomach her for Hush and No Man's Land. I can agree with that. I also tolerate her when I read Birds of Prey. I just do not read it for her sake; I read it for Oracle and Canary's sake (and whoever else they may have, such as Vixen, Barda, Gypsy, etc.).
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @Silver2467 said:
    " @Crom-Cruach: I agree. I could stomach her for Hush and No Man's Land. I can agree with that. I also tolerate her when I read Birds of Prey. I just do not read it for her sake; I read it for Oracle and Canary's sake (and whoever else they may have, such as Vixen, Barda, Gypsy, etc.). "
    which makes perfect sense to me as I just don't see anything really special or unique about her.
    lozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lozer

I like her and the potential she has to be absolutely awesome. 

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By HexThis

The Huntress is a fantastic character. She's so brazenly determined and ferocious, there's nothing not to love about her! At first it was just her penchant for violence that I thought was interesting but when I read her Year One and A Cry for Blood, I realized she was infinitely cooler than I had imagined. I mentioned in the Brutally Honest vlog about heroes versus anti-heroes that Huntress was my favorite anti-hero because she's using religious conviction to fuel unadulterated rage, it's ironically her conduit for exacting the only kind of revenge she can justify. Whereas certain other characters like Nightcrawler use religious ethics to anchor a team, Huntress is pretty much just like "Screw it, I'll beat the tar out of you somewhat dressed as a nun because it's the right thing to do!"- she's pretty much the most unstable and unpredictable member of any team in spite of the fact she's so in touch with Catholicism which should condone such behavior. What a spectacular contradiction! You'd think her being a religious character would alienate an audience but she readily admits at the end of "Cry for Blood" she's damned anyways, she's not at all uptight or condemning. Then in her origins story we discover her father's repeated beating of her mother had her vowing to be a female pope so she could send him to hell for sure. She prays for the death of her father and but moments later he and her whole family is shot to death. We see guilt and power as being the Huntress's chief motivations in being the woman she is today yet you'd never know it because she's so damn confident. 

In a nutshell. Yes, more Huntress please!

AntiHeroMofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AntiHeroMofo
    @Crom-Cruach:
    Based on her background? I'm not following. Enlightenment plz...
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I love Huntress. I want her to star in Batman Inc., I'm not a big fan of BoP.

AntiHeroMofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AntiHeroMofo
    @lozer said:
    "I like her and the potential she has to be absolutely awesome.  "

I agree
    Avatar image for jason_todd_red_hood1_900
    Jason Todd_Red Hood1-900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AntiHeroMofo:
    First I will like to say thank you for making this thread and yes I would love more Huntress she is my favorite heroine in the DC Universe but as long as Gail Simone writes her she will always take a back seat to miss Green Arrow AKA Black Canary .I think she should'nt be part of the Birds Of Prey the Huntress I love was a loner that wanted to be accepeted for who she was.She was never this boy crazy  cry baby whenever she gets depressed she screws some dude people person  that Gail Simone writes her to be thats not Huntress Huntress was a very cold and violent vigilante but religious at the same time. The way Huntress should be written is the way Ivory Madison wrote her in Huntress year one thats Huntress.So yes Please more Huntress
    Nike Skylark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Nike Skylark

huntress is my absolute favorite comic book character, she has been ever since i started reading dc comics a few years ago. i just can't get enough of her (unless she's written by grant morrison, who writes the worse huntress ever). she should definately be in more main batman books, especially since the current batman doesn't have an irrational hatred of her.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @AntiHeroMofo said:
    " @Crom-Cruach: Based on her background? I'm not following. Enlightenment plz... "
    There's nothing unique about her background. The criminal family, her religion upbringing everything. I can't seem to fin anything in her story that hasn't been seen elsewhere and better implemented that is all.
    AntiHeroMofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AntiHeroMofo
    @Crom-Cruach:
    But I'm still not following. You said based on her background it makes sense that dozens of characters can kick her all over the place. I'm not attacking you but I just fail to see how background and a$$kickery link up with each other.
    Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Crom-Cruach
    @AntiHeroMofo: Perhaps my comments were not coherent enough

But  when I'm talking about her background I mean why I'm not a big fan  of her not anything about her power To me she's not that interesting because nothing about her seems unique or special and neither is her personality. 

Powerwise however based on the training she's had thought, it makes perfect sense that many characters would kick her all over the place.

I hope I've clarified things.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Amegashita
    @AntiHeroMofo:  They link up just fine.  If you look at her background she was trained by a Tony Angelo, someone who has essentially no real background behind him except for the fact that he was Helena's bodyguard.  Helena wasn't trained by some of the best martial artists in the world, so her getting beat is just a byproduct of her not having the proper training.  Take Tim Drake for example, at the age of 13 he was trained by Bruce Wayne, one of the best martial artists in the world.  Then he went to Paris and trained under Rahul Lama, and then trained under Lady Shiva.  His background clearly shows the level of which he can succeed because of the level of the masters he trained under.  The Huntress does not have this. 
    Heml0ck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Heml0ck
    @lozer:
    I agree with this 100% !!!   I love this char. and wish there was more of her out there.
    AntiHeroMofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AntiHeroMofo
    @Amegashita said:
    "@AntiHeroMofo:  They link up just fine.  If you look at her background she was trained by a Tony Angelo, someone who has essentially no real background behind him except for the fact that he was Helena's bodyguard.  Helena wasn't trained by some of the best martial artists in the world, so her getting beat is just a byproduct of her not having the proper training.  Take Tim Drake for example, at the age of 13 he was trained by Bruce Wayne, one of the best martial artists in the world.  Then he went to Paris and trained under Rahul Lama, and then trained under Lady Shiva.  His background clearly shows the level of which he can succeed because of the level of the masters he trained under.  The Huntress does not have this.  "

What I was referring to when I mentioned background was her origin story. Not the training she went through. I was trying to find the link with those but the person who originally said background could've meant that as well. Thanx 4 comin at me in a civilized matter :)
    AntiHeroMofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AntiHeroMofo
    @HexThis said:
    "The Huntress is a fantastic character. She's so brazenly determined and ferocious, there's nothing not to love about her! At first it was just her penchant for violence that I thought was interesting but when I read her Year One and A Cry for Blood, I realized she was infinitely cooler than I had imagined. I mentioned in the Brutally Honest vlog about heroes versus anti-heroes that Huntress was my favorite anti-hero because she's using religious conviction to fuel unadulterated rage, it's ironically her conduit for exacting the only kind of revenge she can justify. Whereas certain other characters like Nightcrawler use religious ethics to anchor a team, Huntress is pretty much just like "Screw it, I'll beat the tar out of you somewhat dressed as a nun because it's the right thing to do!"- she's pretty much the most unstable and unpredictable member of any team in spite of the fact she's so in touch with Catholicism which should condone such behavior. What a spectacular contradiction! You'd think her being a religious character would alienate an audience but she readily admits at the end of "Cry for Blood" she's damned anyways, she's not at all uptight or condemning. Then in her origins story we discover her father's repeated beating of her mother had her vowing to be a female pope so she could send him to hell for sure. She prays for the death of her father and but moments later he and her whole family is shot to death. We see guilt and power as being the Huntress's chief motivations in being the woman she is today yet you'd never know it because she's so damn confident.   In a nutshell. Yes, more Huntress please! "

THAT'S RIGHT! Read em. Make em understand why Huntress is a bad b!tch
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Amegashita
    @AntiHeroMofo:  No problem, I don't attack unless I'm attacked first.  Her origin is kind of like the Punisher's if you think about it.  Her family was killed by the mob and because of it she was led to what she became today.  Anger equals blinded battle view.  If you let your anger take over you, you become blind in battle, and Helena has a lot of anger.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By daredevil21134
    @AntiHeroMofo: Hey man Huntress  all the way and thanks for this thread
    AntiHeroMofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AntiHeroMofo
    @daredevil21134 said:
    "@AntiHeroMofo: Hey man Huntress  all the way and thanks for this thread

You're quite welcome
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By daredevil21134
    @AntiHeroMofo:
    whenever you wanna chat about Huntress please come find me man
    AntiHeroMofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AntiHeroMofo
    @daredevil21134:
    gotcha
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By daredevil21134

sweet
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I love Birds of Prey but Huntress is the least interesting character involved to me.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By daredevil21134

Yeah cause of the writer
    justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By justice teen

i would love to see more huntress

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By daredevil21134

me too
    Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By EisforExtinction

I recall Huntress' ongoing was pretty good. That's the 89 run.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By daredevil21134

Hunytress year one was good
    AntiHeroMofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AntiHeroMofo
    @daredevil21134:
    Didn't they have Year One for everyone or was it for a select few?
    KingsCastle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By KingsCastle

Huntress rocks. It's a shame she is desperately underused in Birds of Prey. Maybe there are just too many characters in that series. They are always going into Barbara's and Dinah's background but they don't really give Helena nearly enough screen time.  She's basically been reduced to the team's backup muscle which is just criminal for such an interesting character. In the early arcs she played much more of a pivotal role. I hope that they give her a more interesting storyline soon. ^_^

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By daredevil21134
    @KingsCastle:  I hope so too
    @AntiHeroMofo It might be a selected few
    AntiHeroMofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AntiHeroMofo
    @KingsCastle:
    They better. If they don't, I'm apt to go to jail.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Jason Todd_Red Hood1-900: LOL! Yoou want her to hook up with Jason.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Primmaster64:
    That would be great
    ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ChadwickDavis
    @Crom-Cruach said:

"My big problem with Huntress is that I can't find anything particularly unique about her. I've liked some of her appearances, like in Hush or how she was portrayed in the No Man's land arc. But aside from that, she just doesn't stand out for me.  Also based on her background. It makes perfect sense that dozens of characters would kick her ass all over the place. "

"My big problem with Huntress is that I can't find anything particularly unique about her"   

A Mafia "Princess" who wants to destroy the world she was born into and to do so she has even used her influence to become a mafia boss in gotham. All the while wanting to be a school teacher? Nothing Interesting... huh.  
    we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.  She is like Psylocke, the Magdalena, and a female punisher rolled into one. That in my opinion makes for a very interesting character.

"Also based on her background. It makes perfect sense that dozens of characters would kick her ass all over the place." 

She was trained by her cousin Sal (who was a mafia assassin) in martial arts and weapons, she was trained further by Richard Dragon in the martial arts, she saved catwoman from a what would have been fatal shot to the head by shooting the dart in mid air with her crossbow, and she was kicked off of the Justice league because she was about to "assassinate" prometheus...Personally I dont see the sensibility in your reasoning. 
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By daredevil21134
    @ChadwickDavis said:
    "@Crom-Cruach said:

"My big problem with Huntress is that I can't find anything particularly unique about her. I've liked some of her appearances, like in Hush or how she was portrayed in the No Man's land arc. But aside from that, she just doesn't stand out for me.  Also based on her background. It makes perfect sense that dozens of characters would kick her ass all over the place. "

"My big problem with Huntress is that I can't find anything particularly unique about her"   

A Mafia "Princess" who wants to destroy the world she was born into and to do so she has even used her influence to become a mafia boss in gotham. All the while wanting to be a school teacher? Nothing Interesting... huh.  
    we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.  She is like Psylocke, the Magdalena, and a female punisher rolled into one. That in my opinion makes for a very interesting character.

"Also based on her background. It makes perfect sense that dozens of characters would kick her ass all over the place." 

She was trained by her cousin Sal (who was a mafia assassin) in martial arts and weapons, she was trained further by Richard Dragon in the martial arts, she saved catwoman from a what would have been fatal shot to the head by shooting the dart in mid air with her crossbow, and she was kicked off of the Justice league because she was about to "assassinate" prometheus...Personally I dont see the sensibility in your reasoning.  "

You called it right down the middle my friend

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.