Follow

Hunger #1

Hunger » Hunger #1 released by Marvel on September 2013.

Hunger #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

A comic featuring Galactus. That's really all you need to know to want this. Oh yeah, Joshua Hale Fialkov is writing the story so you know we're going to get some edge-of-your-seat action.

Besides Galactus being hungry, what is this comic about?

Set in the Ultimate Universe, some readers may still recall the version of Galactus that exists there. Gah Lak Tus wasn't well received by many. Thankfully we will now have the proper Galactus appear there to cause havoc.

How did this happen?

If you read AGE OF ULTRON or at least heard about the ending, you know things are a little fuzzy between universes now. That's what we're going to see Fialkov deal with when the big guy (Galactus) shows up. Before we get to the heart of the action, we see the return of Rick Jones, Protector of the Universe. Throw in the Ultimate version of the Watcher along with a couple of warring alien races, there's a lot of craziness going on.

As if Galactus and Fialkov weren't enough, wait until you see Leonard Kirk's art. It's some really nice stuff.

It's not a spoiler but it's a very epic moment when Galactus first shows up.

The Bad

Let's be honest, there's not as much Galactus here as I would have hoped. Granted it's the first issue. Things need to be set up and established. No offense to Rick Jones but I'm ready for the Galactus action.

It's not clear exactly when this story will take place since time in ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN has jump ahead of the other books a bit. There's no sign of any other characters despite the massively powerful Rick Jones arriving on Earth momentarily. Perhaps he wasn't there long enough for anyone to detect or confront him.

The Verdict

If you're a Galactus fan and were not too thrilled with the Gah Lak Tus version we saw before in the Ultimate Universe, this is the series for you. Fialkov has been warming up in ULTIMATE COMICS ULTIMATES but he's about unleash some epic craziness upon the Ultimate Universe. This is just the beginning but you'll get chills when you see the way Fialkov writes Galactus' entrance. Leonard Kirk's art fits perfectly and you can't help but become even more excited for what's coming up. The Ultimate Universe better hold onto their hats because Galactus is coming and things won't be the same.

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I might have to pick this up. I'm interested in how it will play out, and Fialkov is a favorite of mine.

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This would have been vastly better if Rick Jones weren't written as such a whiney little moron. Still, can't get enough Galactus.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Al_capOWN

Wheres the larfleeze review, oh and also where justice league dark review?

oh and batman/superman 2 and lazarus 2, thank you. Ill keep checking every 30 mins or so to check your review on this weeks 4 best titles.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Wheres the larfleeze review, oh and also where justice league dark review?

oh and batman/superman 2 and lazarus 2, thank you. Ill keep checking every 30 mins or so to check your review on this weeks 4 best titles.

JLD is coming.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@Al_capOWN Patience young-one.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hmm I might not pick up the first issue. I'm hoping for a lot of Galactus -effing up some Ultimate aliens and them not knowing how to deal with something so powerful. To hear that he's not in it that much makes me want to wait for the next issue. I get the premise just fine so I don't really need a set up issue as bizarre as that may sound. I just want to see this force of nature in a purple suit consuming planets to sustain his life.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#7 inferiorego  Staff
    @mezmero said:

Hmm I might not pick up the first issue. I'm hoping for a lot of Galactus -effing up some Ultimate aliens and them not knowing how to deal with something so powerful. To hear that he's not in it that much makes me want to wait for the next issue. I get the premise just fine so I don't really need a set up issue as bizarre as that may sound. I just want to see this force of nature in a purple suit consuming planets to sustain his life.

Galactus is in the last 5 pages. I really enjoyed it, but I'm a HUGE fan of the Ultimate universe. I, too, would give it a solid 4/5

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@mezmero said:

Galactus is in the last 5 pages. I really enjoyed it, but I'm a HUGE fan of the Ultimate universe. I, too, would give it a solid 4/5

Hopefully the UU comes out of this intact

Sifighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

Galactus had some awesome moments for the few pages that he actually showed up. Rick Jones also had some pretty cool scenes and its awesome to see him again after disappearing for a while. Can't wait for next issue.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10  Edited By fables87

NOM NOM NOM!

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope he doesn't "eat up" the Ultimate Universe. My local store says Marvel might cancel the Ultimate books :(

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ill get this in trade

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kriminal

ill get this in trade

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kriminal

ill get this in trade

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kriminal

ill get this in trade

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

So why are they not calling Rick jones Nova and what have they done to the Chitari?

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I totally forgot this book was coming out this month. I am curious to see what Galactus does in Hunger. Speaking of which I'm hungry, I'm going to get something to eat.

Avatar image for captain_oblivious
    captain_oblivious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought being a cosmic being Galactus would be capable of traversing universes. I always thought he was a unique character in the same way there's one Living Tribunal and possibly Celestials.I would be kind of surprised he couldn't get back to the 616 universe on his own.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I dislike this issue though.

One, what are we doing , creating a Ultimate Galactus now? What was the whole merging and change of suit even about?

And whats wrong with the Watcher all of a sudden?

I think they tried to over-play how big a threat Galactus is, but it was just plain weird.

Dont change anything, you dont see a new dress or what looked like an armour for you to have a cool Galactus invading Ultimate Universe story... story molding character un-necessarily =(

KingStandup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This issue is all kinds of awesome! If you have even the slightest interest in Galactus, you will appreciate this issue. It's unfortunate that this is only going to be a 4-part series though. I hope it leads to Galactus appearing in a regular storyline, which I am sure is the case, otherwise Marvel wouldn't have went ahead with this series. On another note, the artwork is incredible! The cover alone looks amazing - typical Galactus pose, but it works so well!

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

I spect a huge plot twist

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

I hoped it was good but was not sure it would be.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Jenkale

this issue sucked. nothing happened, no miles yawn! hoping next issue will be better

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.