Kukaburra K #1 Review, Sounds Like A Dance Move

Posted by G-Man (18853 posts) - - Show Bio

Kookaburra K...I know a Kookaburra is a bird.  What does it have to do with a comic set in space?  As much as I love sci-fi, there's just something about sci-fi comics that I can't fully get into.  I think it's mainly that there's too much color in the comics.  This comic with art by Humberto Ramos and colors by Leondardo Olea might change my opinion.

As I mentioned, I think the biggest problem people will have with this is the price.  The question is, would you rather pay more for some solid entertainment or pay a little less for the same stuff you read all the time.  What I liked about Kookaburra K is that it is a different comic.  Is the story entirely original?  It's a little hard to say at this point but then, a lot of stories are almost variations of other ones.  What remains to be seen is where things will go after this first issue.  

Didier Crisse is a writer born in Brussels.  I love that Marvel is working on bringing over the works from creators in other countries.  Humberto Ramos' art is fun to look at.  There have been times in the past when I felt his style didn't quite fit with the book he was working on but I really dig it here.  The great thing about starting fresh with all these new characters is anything can happen.  You don't have to be familiar with decades of continuity to know what is going on.  While this may not be the absolute greatest comic I read, it was incredibly refreshing to read something that wasn't quite like forty other books that came out last week.  Give it a shot.
#1 Posted by immortalfireboy (31 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by crazed_h3ro (995 posts) - - Show Bio

liked it alittle
#3 Posted by Benzo (619 posts) - - Show Bio

i might pick this up. because ive always wanted check out a comic that has nothing to do with superhero genre. 
so lets hope my local comic book store has this comic!!!!!

#4 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio
Farscape was pretty bright for a sci-fi series at times, but it always worked. Helps that they had the Henson Creature Shop behind it.

I always enjoy Ramos' work. Crimson was a really good series. The art is always so visually appealing and you can always feel the depth. I will most certainly be checking this out at some point. Not just because of the boobies.Why does a woman need to change the way she dresses to keep people from bothering her?

Thanks for the review. I might of completely missed this series without this.
#5 Posted by mattydeNero (526 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't wear glasses, but I felt like they would've helped.  We'll see how this goes, I'm still unsure.  I just thought the large word bubbles and tiny text took away from Ramos' rockin' art.
#6 Posted by mrduckluck (133 posts) - - Show Bio

the principal character look like wolverine on the cover
#7 Posted by zombietag (1483 posts) - - Show Bio

i do not like humberto ramos at all. ug, i hate style like that

#8 Posted by drawme (423 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn´t appeal to me.

#9 Posted by Misk14 (41 posts) - - Show Bio

tits,space,violence,no adds... il pick it up tomorrow :P

#10 Posted by Kid_Zombie (822 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya sounds good to me. I love Ramos' art, but maybe ill wait for the trade for this one. No adds and 48 pages does appeal to me though.

#11 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I was looking forward to this.  I liked a little of Sky Doll (also a Marvel-Soleil production) and I absolutely LOVE Ramos.  But I can't help but feel a little disappointed.  And strangely it's for the one thing that G-Man loved; the colouring.  It was a little too bland for me.  I was hoping for something reminiscent of his work on Crimson, but instead I thought it was dull.  Shares of grey.  Pink-grey, purple-grey, grey-grey... it's way too washed out for my liking.  I thought it made Ramos' energetic style look aged and monotonous. 

Otherwise, it was okay.  Nice to have a Marvel book that feels like an Image title.  A bit bonkers to slap that huge 'Mature Content' on the front like they do with Sky Doll (after all, that's why Marvel started those discreet little T+ ratings, right?).  I don't think it's a 'mature' title.  I guess it's just how a different country/culture views the human body (i.e. nothing to be ashamed of from an early age). 

BTW: Dancing to the Kookaburra Song.

#12 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

I've read the original Kukaburra series. (I'm from Belgium, ain't that cool ?)  
It was cool, but the rate of the series were too sloooooow. 
But I'm very curious about what Ramos will do on this one.
#13 Posted by NXH (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved his run on avengers the initiative and wolverine. and his work on x-men was great too. =) 
Would like to see him work on wolverine again or perhaps even x-force would be cool. 
This one looks pretty good, but i may give it a miss. 

#14 Edited by G-Man (18853 posts) - - Show Bio
xerox-kitty said:

BTW: Dancing to the Kookaburra Song.  

Wow...anyway, Red LAMP sang a bit of that after I posted the vid.  But I think he was singing the Wiggles' version.
#15 Posted by spacemonkeymafia (22 posts) - - Show Bio

loved ramos' work on civil war : wolverine. and this was something i was looking for, a little break from the super hero thing.
#16 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

The price is scary...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.