when human torch goes supernova is a true gage of his power

#1 Posted by oiHooliganismoi (518 posts) - - Show Bio

or just a cool name for his strongest attack......... marvel says he can reach supernova temperatures but some viners say it just a cool name he really cant reach such levels cause that would make him practically cosmic in power level....... so who is right people at marvel or those viners that disagree? 

#2 Posted by Sexy Merc (42071 posts) - - Show Bio

He never reaches the temperature of a real supernova or else the surrounding environment would be incinerated.

#3 Posted by oiHooliganismoi (518 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc: i asking if he could or not......... if marvel says he can i believe them....... just mean he holds back alot.........
#4 Posted by Sexy Merc (42071 posts) - - Show Bio
@oiHooliganismoi: Nah, Marvel says a lot of things. He has never displayed the temperature of effects of a real supernova.
#5 Posted by oiHooliganismoi (518 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc: so the marvel encyclopedia is wrong just cause he hasnt done it in a comic
#6 Posted by Sexy Merc (42071 posts) - - Show Bio
@oiHooliganismoi: I'm not saying they're wrong, just that he's never displayed that level of power. Do you happen to have a link by the way?
#7 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how hot a nova is, but I'm pretty sure his nova flame has been compared to the sun in temperature. I'm pretty sure it's not as hot as a nova.

#8 Edited by oiHooliganismoi (518 posts) - - Show Bio

im pretty sure reed and doom also stated that he can reach super nova levels in the comics

#9 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc said:
" He never reaches the temperature of a real supernova or else the surrounding environment would be incinerated. "
Yes, he does. That is why when he goes Supernova, Invisible Woman shields everything else from the blast:

Like this.
#10 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

Read Dr. Doom's quote

Two Million Degrees
#11 Posted by Sexy Merc (42071 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: He used the Nova Flame on Hulk without Sue shielding it and the damage it did to the surrounding environment was nothing close to a supernova. Hulk wasn't phased by his attack either and his durability is no where near withstanding supernovas.

#12 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't tell what's going on in those scans. What is that from?

Stating to have the power of a nuclear blast
#13 Posted by Sexy Merc (42071 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: World War Hulk. 

I can agree that his Nova temperatures would produce nuclear blast level threats but not actual supernovas.
#14 Posted by The Mango (1477 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: That clearly didn't have the power of a nuclear blast

The core of our own small, weak sun burns at 26 million degrees all the time.  This is 13 times higher than the temp HT has ever even been suggested to be capable of.

This temp is pathetic compared to a Supernova, which reach temperatures of 100 billion kelvin, or 180 billion Fahrenheit.
#15 Posted by CosmicSpiral (5471 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, Johnny can attain those types of temperatures but his power is extremely limited. He cannot replicate the power of a supernova; that would make him a solar system buster. 

#16 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio

I take that back, about the temperature of the sun. He may or may not be able to do this. To my knowledge, his top temperature has ever been stated, but he has shown the force of a nuclear blast.

#17 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

The temperature of a nova is 20 million degrees. Marvel has Human Torch at 1 million. He's been compared to an atomic blast which is roughly 10 million. I don't know of any feats that put him at 20 million degrees. 

I could be wrong, though.

#18 Posted by Sexy Merc (42071 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" I take that back, about the temperature of the sun. He may or may not be able to do this. To my knowledge, his top temperature has ever been stated, but he has shown the force of a nuclear blast. "
I can agree with that, but sun and supernova, no way.
#19 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc said:
" @Nobody said:
" I take that back, about the temperature of the sun. He may or may not be able to do this. To my knowledge, his top temperature has ever been stated, but he has shown the force of a nuclear blast. "
I can agree with that, but sun and supernova, no way. "
It could be possible for him to have that potential but he resists doing it. When Human Torch and Invisible Woman switched bodies, she stated that she never realized how much he has to hold himself back and how much control he has over his powers. Dr. Doom stated that he was standing inches from Human Torch and couldn't even feel his heat because of his self-control over the heat. There was another time that Human Torch shot a blast freely, Iron Man got in the way to absorb it to protect bystanders. When the blast hit him, he realizes that it was all show. There wasn't enough heat in the flame to harm anybody. None of this means that he can get to that temperature, but I'm just saying that it is possible without an unknown max.
#20 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a few feats of Johnny's in my gallery from an old debate. I'll try to post the ones that Nobody didn't. 

Supposedly "rivals the energies of an exploding star." 

That was the only one I could find that was mildly relevant to temperature. 
#21 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy:  I have a scan from another comic where it states that he reaches "near-nova temperatures".
#22 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody said:
" @iLLituracy:  I have a scan from another comic where it states that he reaches "near-nova temperatures". "
Yeah, I have a scan or two where he states that, but I'm not sure whether he's referring to his self-named nova flame temperature or actual nova temperature. Like this one: 

#23 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy:  The one that I have, it wasn't him stating it. It was a narrative bubble.
#24 Posted by The Mango (1477 posts) - - Show Bio

This is all hyperbole.

It claimed that burst had the energy of an exploding star, but it was within sight of a city. A city I'm assuming wasn't destroyed (along with the rest of the planet, and solar system if it was as powerful as claimed).

#25 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: Ah, I'd imagine it'd still be iffy if it was actual nova or his self-called nova flame. I'd say it was his nova flame's temperature which is compared to the sun most of the time, the temperature of the sun to actual nova-like temperatures is sort of a huge jump. 
#26 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Mango said:

" This is all hyperbole.  It claimed that burst had the energy of an exploding star, but it was within sight of a city. A city I'm assuming wasn't destroyed (along with the rest of the planet, and solar system if it was as powerful as claimed). "

@Nobody said:

"  Dr. Doom stated that he was standing inches from Human Torch and couldn't even feel his heat because of his self-control over the heat. "

Could be possible he is containing the area of the blast and the heat.
#27 Posted by The_Martian (36980 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Mango:  To prove my point more:

Controls his "near-nova" energy to just his hand

"They came within a hair's-breadth of my skin, but never touched me. I never felt even the slightest heat."

That is some pretty powerful control.
#28 Posted by The Mango (1477 posts) - - Show Bio

Still need to see more proof than just dialog that he's got "near-nova energy" considering he's never actually shown that kind of power.

#29 Posted by gunjin (716 posts) - - Show Bio

no he can't. even if sue richards shielded it, wouldn't it just cook all the people she was protecting inside. and even if her unstable molecules protected her, i'm thinking it's a safe assumption everyone's heads would incinerate. getting even remotely close to the sun, causes objects to catch fire. supernova, i'm going with the other guys, all hyperbole.

#30 Posted by The Mango (1477 posts) - - Show Bio
@gunjin said:
" no he can't. even if sue richards shielded it, wouldn't it just cook all the people she was protecting inside. and even if her unstable molecules protected her, i'm thinking it's a safe assumption everyone's heads would incinerate. getting even remotely close to the sun, causes objects to catch fire. supernova, i'm going with the other guys, all hyperbole. "
Well I agree that it's probably hyperbole, but there are some problems with your statement.

1) The surface of the sun is just 5000K, which is really hot for Earth but certainly HT can get over that. The sun varies greatly in temperature, getting much hotter the deeper you go.
2) Things don't catch fire in space.
#31 Posted by gunjin (716 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Mango: good attention to detail. i wasn't disputing that johnny couldn't reach surface of the sun temps, just nova levels. as for things don't catch fire in space, i was implying within a vessel of some sort. the lack of oxygen in space would prove you correct otherwise.
#32 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

the center of the sun is over 15million degrees
#33 Posted by CaptainUseless (730 posts) - - Show Bio

I say Torch can.

#34 Posted by SirNickTheEpic (589 posts) - - Show Bio

he can go way hotter as of the past few years but he doesn't want/need to because he runs the risk of destroying the planet

#35 Edited by Fufuh (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Supernova temperature <<<<<<<<<<< supernova destructive capabilities <<<<<<<<<<< supernova energy.

I think it's perfectly plausible that Torch can go to the billions of degrees mark (which has been mentioned or multiple times), that does not mean that he would destroy the entire planet, let alone match a supernova energy output.

#36 Edited by SirNickTheEpic (589 posts) - - Show Bio

@fufuh:

I heard that his 17 hour limit has gone and that hes able to go absolute heat... someone even said he repaired a dimension by dong this. is this true?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.