Johnny Storm To Be Played By a Black Actor?

• 178 results
#151 Posted by Derfel (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@toxicant said:

Okay, sarcasm got a little out of control there. In all seriousness, there are zero reasons to care about this unless you were really dying to see somebody else in the role. Do I think Hollywood should deliberately try to pull race-changes on established characters? No, that's silly. But there's no sign that this casting would be based on that line of thinking. If a character isn't strongly tied to a certain ethnicity (Black Panther or Doom for example), then the character's ethnicity shouldn't be a big deal in casting. If later down the road we find out that they were definitely looking at this guy because they wanted a black Human Torch, then feel free to be angry. But until then, how about we give everyone involved the benefit of the doubt and assume they're looking at this guy because they think he's a good actor for the role.

I agree with this.

My gut reaction was that I didn't like it because it is racist to change character's from one race to another. But the more I thought about it, the more I began to realize that this "mindset" may be the one that is truly racist. A white guy playing a white guy, or a black guy playing a black guy, we are way too focused on race. Race should not matter as much as it does, but unfortunately this simply isn't the case. Hopefully humans can reach a point where anyone can play anyone, and everyone is comfortable with it.

It is actually not about ethnicity, it's about watching chars you love being transformed in something that is totally different from whom you have been familiar with for years, I mean I would hate just as much to see storm transformed in a black guy, or Tyron Lannister transformed in a tall guy, or batman transformed in "the cyber-bat", you want to make a movie with chars of every ethnicity and every minority and with a good, original story? great, be sure I'm gonna watch it and enjoy it, just don't transform the characters I love in something completely different and unjustified.

#152 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

You know what would be funny? If in the story You see Michael B. Jordan play as Trevor Harris the man who replaces Johnny Storm in the space mission last minute, making Trevor Harris *this* universes Human Torch.

Would that make everyone happy?

Why doesn't anyone complain about Corporal Summers?

#153 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@derfel said:

@novi_homines said:

@toxicant said:

Okay, sarcasm got a little out of control there. In all seriousness, there are zero reasons to care about this unless you were really dying to see somebody else in the role. Do I think Hollywood should deliberately try to pull race-changes on established characters? No, that's silly. But there's no sign that this casting would be based on that line of thinking. If a character isn't strongly tied to a certain ethnicity (Black Panther or Doom for example), then the character's ethnicity shouldn't be a big deal in casting. If later down the road we find out that they were definitely looking at this guy because they wanted a black Human Torch, then feel free to be angry. But until then, how about we give everyone involved the benefit of the doubt and assume they're looking at this guy because they think he's a good actor for the role.

I agree with this.

My gut reaction was that I didn't like it because it is racist to change character's from one race to another. But the more I thought about it, the more I began to realize that this "mindset" may be the one that is truly racist. A white guy playing a white guy, or a black guy playing a black guy, we are way too focused on race. Race should not matter as much as it does, but unfortunately this simply isn't the case. Hopefully humans can reach a point where anyone can play anyone, and everyone is comfortable with it.

It is actually not about ethnicity, it's about watching chars you love being transformed in something that is totally different from whom you have been familiar with for years,

This is really all you needed to say. I understand your what you're saying, but the only difference is his skin color. I accept your opinion, I just disagree. No problem with that.

#154 Posted by StatFan201 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

I say bring it on. How many non-american actors are getting roles based on American heroes? Wolverine is 5'3'' but is played by a guy that is 6'3" , Batman is played by a foreign actor so is Spiderman where was the outrage? As far as the sibling thing goes they can either be half-siblings are adopted. For everyone complaining about this possibility, this wouldn't be necessary if they would just make movies with minority superheroes in the first place. Another thing they need to stop doing is killing off black characters in everything. Also they should give more roles to young minority actors instead of just casting white actors and actresses because they are white even if they can't act.

#155 Edited by Bogey (970 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess the studio couldn't find a white person to play the Human Torch.

#156 Posted by StatFan201 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Ain't that the truth, Last airbender, Argo, dbz evolution, etc anyone? If people want to worry about source material so much why not set every superhero movie in the era in which it was created?

#157 Edited by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

Why can't they get

Garrett Hedlund

Hayden Christensen

or better

Liam Hemsworth

#158 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7044 posts) - - Show Bio

Leave it to Fox to make everything awkward.

Human Torch should be white, just as how Mandarin should have been Chinese and an actual villain.

Token Black Actor just be 'racially' diverse is racist in itself. Reminds me of all the Asian background actors in the Last Airbender.

#159 Posted by Cheesecake13 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I think for me there's a trade off when you deviate from the way a character I supposed to look. If they play the character really well, and that is the motivation for picking the actor eg. Samuel L FuryJackson then I'm totally on board. If they pick a black actor just to have a black actor it's stupid and racist in a pandering condescending kind of way :/

That being said, there have been times when an actor looks the part but can't play the character for sh!t. Ie. January Jones/Emma Frost

#160 Posted by JulieDC (1081 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though I'm black (well technically, I'm biracial), I can't say I am a huge fan of this decision. I hate change just for the sake of change. That is why I could never get used to a female Robin and more than likely, never will. Maybe its also because I am a traditionalist but whatever.

I've noticed recently that Marvel (and by extension Disney) have been making changes to the comics (and cartoons, still upset they canceled the Avengers cartoon to make something similar to the film) to keep it in line with the movies. I don't really like that at all. Also, I feel like this is somewhat of a cop out because instead of using actual black characters, they think changing the race will suffice. Its an insult to both whites and blacks in my opinion and in the long run, it does little to address the lack of diversity because what will happen when the black kids watching this movie decide to look at the comics and come to the shocking discovery that they were grossly misled? And if the whole Nick Fury having a black son is anything to go by, if this movie is a success, Marvel will probably make some excuse to have a black Johnny Storm and that is a disservice to the fan base.

Besides, I also feel like this changes the dynamics entirely since Sue will still remain white. And well, I know its just a movie but the thing is, its not. People dedicate their time to these characters and others come along and destroy that history and all that work and their tend to be ramifications that are suffered by everyone but the person causing the damage.

#161 Posted by ShadowX (1207 posts) - - Show Bio

I am 100% okay with this. Johnny Storms character is not tied to his ethnicity at all. Plus it gives more opprotunities too actors or colors. There are plenty of white characters in the media, and way less characters of color, so this is a great boost. Plus i can see this guy pulling off johnny based off his previous performances.

Second of all. Has nobody heard of interracial parents? If sue storm looks white and johnny storm Looks black its not that far of a stretch that they are siblings of an interracial couple. As a mixed kid myself( although latino and white and not white and black) i can confirm, kids of interracial couples dont turn out as perfect mixes of the two all the time. In fact sometimes siblings dont really look anything a like. Now true they can be half siblings or one could be adopted. Or they could make sue storm black. But im surprised people havent thought of interracial parents. What are we the 1950's?

#162 Edited by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care, I want to see a Illuminati movie, I can just about live without beast but not mr fantastic, also I'd like to see a fantastic four with she hulk film... So until fantastic four goes back to marvel, who ever is in it will just be temporary, it's nt like fox's fantastic four are cannon.

On a different note, I think changing sue and Johnny's races is a great idea, Samuel l Jackson has clearly shown that race does not matter then addressing characters... But also hard core fans who take issue are not racist, they want an actor who looks identical to the comics they love so 99% of actors won't look the part and no actor will be able to do any part without criticism from some corner of the marvel community.

#163 Edited by SGU823 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not make the entire cast black? Infact, let's take it a step further. Make Mr. Fantastic a fat, Asian man with one arm. Make Susan Storm a short, 70 year old Indian woman. All for the sake of equal opportunity, source material be damned.

#164 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

Saying that I was speaking int he pub the other day about the rumours that a black actor may play James Bond, I have no issue with that either... What I do have issue with is if all this happens at once, I can see a year when James Bond, dr who, the fantastic four, Spider-Man, mad max and ever other reboot changes the race and or gender of the characters... Knowing how studios jump on bandwagons I can really see that happening... That would be a bit weird and ott.

I'd read a comic about a fat one armed Asian superhero, but maybe it's time to just create new brands instead of relying on someone else's fan base and then annoying the hell out of that fan base.

On a none comic side note, Star Trek 12 has been voted the worse film by fans... I know it's not a question of race at all, but i think it's the same argument, maybe they should have just called it space trip renamed all the characters and not pretended to be a part of the franchise?

#165 Posted by russellmania77 (15853 posts) - - Show Bio

yes but i bet if we made john stewart, static, war machine/iron patriot, black lightning, the falcon, or black panther white EVERYBODY would have a Sht fit

#166 Posted by TommyJones1945 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

Wierd, first time I heard this I thought it was a joke. Reading OP now, it looks even more of a joke. Change for the sake of change sucks. If we're lucky this probably isn't true.

CIN.

#167 Edited by homosexuality (63 posts) - - Show Bio

can iceman be black too.

#168 Edited by Oscars94 (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

@omgomgwtfwtf: M Night Shyamalan got the races of all of the actors wrong.

#169 Posted by ownagepants (4656 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that if they're going to make storm white or black, the sister better match. No need to have one "adopted" or something like that. Totally unnecessary.

That is unnecessary since it has been proven that if the parent's are white and black they can spawn two children of different skin color so one could be white and the other black and be biological siblings.

#170 Posted by DADDY_XERO (76 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard Johnny and sue won't even be related. and only reed and ben go into space. the whole film seems weak

#171 Posted by GBandit (166 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it was a bad choice. They'll break the Sue and Johnny sibling relation which will take away the family bond between them. You know, its always felt like Mr F is daddy, Sue is mommy, Johnny is the annoying kid and Ben is that creepy uncle.

Now its like Mr F is a nerd with a girlfriend, Johnny is just some guy walking around and Ben is there for some reason.

I hope is not official. If they wanted a black guy in the cast just cast the thing as a black guy...

#172 Posted by Alurvelve (3655 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly thought this was a joke. On the bright side of this news. This movie will fail so horribly that it is just a matter of time for Marvel/Disney to get the rights back from Fox. Then maybe we can get a real FF4 movie.

#173 Posted by JoeEddie (484 posts) - - Show Bio

Society has changed. 100 years from now, I believe all Caucasian characters will be a shade of brown.

#174 Posted by Asura7 (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Michael B Jordan is playing the Human Torch AKA Johnny Baileygates

#175 Posted by Dark Cloud™ (2389 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, Hollywood, you won't be getting my money this time. When this movie comes out, I will download it at theater quality, because that's all it will be worth. I don't care what anyone else thinks because this is entirely bullsh*t. Do not cast a black guy as a white guy who has over 50 years of comic book history, as many fans have stated before (especially for major characters). It's racist for a white guy to put on black face paint, but it isn't racism for two black guys to wear prosthetics and cream to pose as white chicks? Get real. Want a character that deserves movie face? Blue Marvel - excellent character, excellent history, excellent powers; put him in Avengers 2. Could make more Blade movies!

#176 Posted by flameboy298 (1917 posts) - - Show Bio

Really hope this movie isn't a success I really really hope it isn't.

#177 Edited by HuiZe (87 posts) - - Show Bio

MBJ is a talented actor, so it's all good for me. If you didn't cry about Bane being whitewashed by Nolan, don't cry about this. White actors have been cast as non-white characters a thousand times over.

Looking forward to it.

#178 Edited by Jayc1324 (13564 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm black and all for more diversity but I really hate it when they change established characters for the sake of diversity. I'd be OK with this if he and sue were still sisters, but nope that's screwed up too. Do they think siblings have to be the exact same color? Or race even? They could be half siblings or just have black and white parents. But no. Why not give black panther a movie if you want black characters so badly?

#179 Posted by ludeawakening (4 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO this has nothing to do with racism. To prove I don't base this on race, a lot of people are complaining about it, but I completely agree with Falcon becoming Captain America in a movie at some point, BECAUSE IT'S SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. But in the case of Johnny Storm, it's just ridiculous that Hollywood thinks they can change a character, just because they want to. They will do it no matter what anyone says, because all they care about is money. But to those who actually know the storyline to comics also know how retarded Hollywood really is. This will be by far the worst casting decision up to date for a superhero movie if they do this. They don't realize that if they cast it by how it's really supposed to be, they would make just as much profit, if not a little more. The worst part is, Marvel actually lets them do stupid crap like this. It goes to show what a washout and greedy company they are too. Even they don't care about the comics anymore.

#180 Posted by KittyParker13 (2956 posts) - - Show Bio

Johnny Storm and Sue Storm aren't going to be siblings? D: I don't mind if they're both black, but I'd like them to still be siblings.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.