How can the Human Torch lift the Thing (or Franklin Richards)?

#1 Posted by Marcovaldo (138 posts) - - Show Bio

In Human Torch's page, talking about his power of flight, it's written: 
"Flight – As the density of his body changes, Johnny’s body becomes lighter than air, giving him the capabilities of flight. He is also extremely maneuverable."
So, this means that the Human Torch can fly because he gets lighter than air. 
THEN, how can he lift any human being (like he often did, for example when saving a FF member from a fall) or even not-too-heavy objects (like a full cardboard)? Because, when he's carrying someone or something, he's heavier  than air, and so he shouldn't be able to fly. 
Has ever Marvel explained this?

#2 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio

Think of how he propels himself, amp that up and you can carry a load, amp it up more and you can carry more. It seems fairly obvious.

#3 Posted by Marcovaldo (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Hhhhmmm that could explain when he lifts someone upwards, but not when he rescues someone that's falling and then flies away with him: in this case, the propulsion would be downwards and he wouldn't have enough thrust to keep flying...

#4 Posted by warlock360 (26898 posts) - - Show Bio
@Marcovaldo: depending one which point of the body you thrust, I'm assuming he can thrust omnidirectional.
#5 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@Marcovaldo: Could you explain this to me? I don' follow your logic. Donald duck hates black people.
#6 Posted by Marcovaldo (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the logic is this one: if someone's falling with the Human Torch from, for example, the Fantasticar, then Johnny must thrust himself downwards to get him. If he's lighter than air, at this point he can't be able to turn back upwards because he's still on the air (without any solid base to thrust back) and then he may fall with his charge. 
In many comics of the FF Johnny is seen flying downwards to get a falling Thing and then immediately turn back upwards with his quite heavy passenger. And this makes no sense to me.

PS Donald Dcuk can't hate black people because he's close friend with one... or do you think Mickey Mouse is white? ;-)

#7 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
 I think you are obsessing over this lighter than air thing. Think of his locomotion more like Nova or Cannonball, that might help.

@Marcovaldo
said:
" Well, the logic is this one: if someone's falling with the Human Torch from, for example, the Fantasticar, then Johnny must thrust himself downwards to get him. If he's lighter than air, at this point he can't be able to turn back upwards because he's still on the air (without any solid base to thrust back) and then he may fall with his charge. In many comics of the FF Johnny is seen flying downwards to get a falling Thing and then immediately turn back upwards with his quite heavy passenger. And this makes no sense to me. PS Donald Dcuk can't hate black people because he's close friend with one... or do you think Mickey Mouse is white? ;-) "  
 Go to 1:26 to see what i'm talking about.  

#8 Posted by Marcovaldo (138 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085 said:
"  I think you are obsessing over this lighter than air thing. Think of his locomotion more like Nova or Cannonball, that might help. 

Maybe it is as you say, but the "lighter than air thing" was written by Stan Lee, not by me! 

@Marcovaldo said:
PS Donald Dcuk can't hate black people because he's close friend with one... or do you  
 Go to 1:26 to see what i'm talking about.  

This only proves that Donald Duck hates black ducks... and this makes sense...
#9 Posted by warlock360 (26898 posts) - - Show Bio
@Marcovaldo: Look at a flame and tell me in which direction its trying to head to.

The velocity + momentum are enough to travel with another body.
#10 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@Marcovaldo: He drops the "N" bomb on him if you listen carefully.
#11 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4139 posts) - - Show Bio

I would more say that's someone trying to make sense of a super power that can not really happen, so there is no sense in trying to figure it out for yourself.

#12 Posted by davidkenneth (443 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085:
Well he was called a cracker.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.