Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Thunderbolt Ross reflects on the years-long master scheme he orchestrated to become the Red Hulk.

The Good

This actually a solid character analysis, giving Thunderbolt Ross greater complexity than you ever thought he was capable of.  I was especially impressed with how Loeb was able to make him sympathetic without ever excusing his actions as naivete. You really do feel the conflicted emotions he has; his paradoxical hatred and jealousy of the Hulk, his shame and pride in the face of Betty's moral character. It was also good to see this whole complex storyline finally woven into a cohesive narrative. And it was definitely a treat to see such an all-star line-up of artists showing off their takes on the Jade Giant and his foes - - especially given how radically different their interpretations can be sometimes. It's funny to see which ones give the Leader a widow's peak and which ones don't!

The Bad

McGuinness' art is really more suited for flat coloring with just a little rendering and I couldn't help feeling that the colors had too much gradient in the portions featuring his work. You can make the argument that the robot Hulk should have shiny skin, but General Ross definitely shouldn't, and it was a bit off-putting. Also, while I liked Ross' confessional narration on the whole, there were definitely parts where he was saying things that were a little too obvious and self-aware - - thoughts that would've been better conveyed through implication than being stated outright. The part where he says he grew up to hate doctors, and DOCTOR Banner is one of them, is an example.  I'd also say that LMDs are too convenient a "McGuffin" to get out of any plot twist.

The Verdict - 3.5/5

Back when Norman Osborn returned for the first of many times, Marvel put out a great one-shot detailing the whole Clone Saga from in his journal. This worked just like that worked, giving the reader a "behind the curtain" view of the past couple years of Hulk storylines from the perspective of its mastermind. Despite some points that ran a little too on-the-nose, this was definitely a great character piece and a good "twisted recap" to bring some perspective on World War Hulks now that it's coming to its conclusion.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The LMD jazz REALLY bugged me too. So did the change in artists every few pages.

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By HaloKing343

The Hulk stories have gotten too complicated and I've stopped following all Hulk books.
    Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Mr. Kamikaze

The fact Betty and Ross and Rick Jones are Hulks now is bothersome to me...I started reading this series, but quit last issue..and I don't even remember everything that went down. I never followed any Hulk titles to begin with, and I don't think I will at this rate...

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4  Edited By The_Martian

I actually enjoyed this issue. I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Decept-O

I was incredibly let down prior to this issue with the "reveal" of Red Hulk and Red She-Hulk.  I don't care if they're robots or the real deal.  I don't care now.  I really don't.   
      Maybe there is something I'm still missing.  I'd previously been excited about it, followed the books, but now....*meh* big disappointment.   
    Perhaps something may change, but I'm not going to waste any more money hoping to find out.   

I'm doing a complete 180 on this after promoting Red Hulk,  so now I feel like a tool....
    jrocco07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By jrocco07

Can't wait to read this, sounds interesting

Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Blackestnight1

I am still pissed that it was Ross. I'd also like how he died in Hulk Gamma and had a funeral resolved.

RomaTotti10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RomaTotti10

I thought the story in this issue was pretty boring and I have liked all the Red Hulk stuff. It also cost an extra buck and it really wasn't worth it. 2.5 out of 5.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.