Why It Is Plausible That Hulk Could Lift Mjolnir

  • 116 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

First of all, I would like to say two things. First, I am not a Thor fan and most of what I say regarding Mjolnir comes from this site's wiki or comic books I have read such as the Avengers that do not focus on Thor. Second, I am a Hulk fan because I like who he is and the conflict of his character, not because he is so powerful; I am writing this to set the record straight.

Seeing as Red-Hulk was capable of holding Mjolnir in space it is safe to assume that it works by amplifying the pull of gravity. It means that it can be over powered, there is gravity in space so it would have moved towards either Red-Hulk or Thor had Rulk not over powered it and used it against Thor. Also, it must work be amplifying only enough to equal the force trying to lift it (otherwise it would smash through tables and create large cracks the in the ground). The amount of gravity it can amplify will be limited by Odin's power as it was he who cast the worthiness spell.

Two of Hulk's feats that show he could probably supply this force are: being equal to the Sentry in a fight - Sentry has been described as near omnipotent and has the power of a million exploding suns which is a lot of Newtons of force, Hulk also lifted a 150 billion ton which (according to a conversion rate I found on the internet) is 1471005000000000 N (provided Battleworld has the same gravitational pull as earth, it probably didn't but it would of had a similar size because I can't remember anyone mentioning it), finally, the Beyonder stated that Hulk was infinitely strong.

I'm pretty sure that makes him strong enough to lift Mjolnir but obviously only after a hell of a lot of anger.

#1 Posted by Ulviar (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a fan of Hulk too, but I don't think he should be able to lift Mjollnir. As far as I know, nobody else could (except for some guys who are worthy). It's Odin's magic, after all. Even Superman could hold it only for a limited time. If Hulk lifts Mjollnir with brute force, some authors will want to show other characters very strong and we will get Juggernaut or Gladiator being able to do that. I think this shouldn't happen.

#2 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

That was simply bad writing. 
Your train of thought took the road of failure when you used Loeb events to reach your conclusion.

#3 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

The Hulk would effectively have to overpower a Skyfather-level enchantment. I don't believe he can.

#4 Posted by Alurvelve (3644 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#5 Posted by Mercy_ (92698 posts) - - Show Bio

@Alurvelve said:

No.

Moderator
#6 Posted by Billy Batson (58026 posts) - - Show Bio

With Hulk everything is possible.
BB

#7 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

if angry enough Hulk can overpower anything.

I know Loeb can put some pretty ridiculous stuff in his comics but the event was still canon. Besides that was just an example, if Mjolnir didn't work by amplifying gravity then it would not fall to the ground when dropped; the only other plausible way it could work is by ignoring gravity and fixing itself in the exact place that some one let go of it.

#8 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

*Cough* Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

That is all.

#9 Edited by God_Spawn (37891 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't amplify gravity, it does need gravity for the enchantment to work however. I remember an old scan of Iron Man being able to hold Mjolnir in space but as soon as he got into Earth's atmosphere he was sent plummeting.

With that said, if there is gravity Hulk will NOT be able to lift up Mjolnir.

Moderator
#10 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@guttridgeb said:

@TheSwordsman if angry enough Hulk can overpower anything.

@Kallarkz I know Loeb can put some pretty ridiculous stuff in his comics but the event was still canon. Besides that was just an example, if Mjolnir didn't work by amplifying gravity then it would not fall to the ground when dropped; the only other plausible way it could work is by ignoring gravity and fixing itself in the exact place that some one let go of it.

We can theorize about it for another month but through pure strength we will never see it on paper.
#11 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

if angry enough Hulk can overpower anything.

Not a Skyfather or a Skyfather enchantment of the level that is placed on Mjolnir. He can get as angry as he likes but if he isn't worthy then he is not lifting it.

#12 Posted by Lvenger (19936 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheSwordsman said:

@guttridgeb said:

if angry enough Hulk can overpower anything.

Not a Skyfather or a Skyfather enchantment of the level that is placed on Mjolnir. He can get as angry as he likes but if he isn't worthy then he is not lifting it.

Exactly.

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont understand why people think Thor is worthy but nobody else is, I mean it's not like he's perfect or anything 

#14 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

I dont understand why people think Thor is worthy but nobody else is, I mean it's not like he's perfect or anything

*sits and waits for Thor fanboys*

#15 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb: You do realize lifting Thor's hammer has nothing to do with strength right? It's merely Odin's enchantment that only allows those deemed "worthy" to lift it. Hulk is not one of those people. As for Red Hulk having Thor's hammer, it was merely floating in space and he grabbed hold. He was never wielding Mjolnir.

Moderator
#16 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

I dont understand why people think Thor is worthy but nobody else is, I mean it's not like he's perfect or anything

Thor hasn't been the only one worthy to lift the hammer. Cap has done it, as has Beta Ray Bill, and Wonder Man.

Moderator
#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I dont understand why people think Thor is worthy but nobody else is, I mean it's not like he's perfect or anything

Thor hasn't been the only one worthy to lift the hammer. Cap has done it, as has Beta Ray Bill, and Wonder Man.

yea and more people should remember that 
#18 Posted by Alurvelve (3644 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Wonder Man.

I do not remember him lifting it. You do not happen to have scans of this do you?

#19 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

I dont understand why people think Thor is worthy but nobody else is, I mean it's not like he's perfect or anything

That's not really the question here. Are other people worthy? Yes. Can other people lift the hammer without being deemed worthy? No. The latter is what the OP is trying to argue for, and no, not happening.

#20 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@TheSwordsman said:

@guttridgeb said:

if angry enough Hulk can overpower anything.

Not a Skyfather or a Skyfather enchantment of the level that is placed on Mjolnir. He can get as angry as he likes but if he isn't worthy then he is not lifting it.

Exactly.

Many thanks friend.

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33432 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I dont understand why people think Thor is worthy but nobody else is, I mean it's not like he's perfect or anything

That's not really the question here. Are other people worthy? Yes. Can other people lift the hammer without being deemed worthy? No. The latter is what the OP is trying to argue for, and no, not happening.

So what makes Hulk so unworthy then?
#22 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I dont understand why people think Thor is worthy but nobody else is, I mean it's not like he's perfect or anything

That's not really the question here. Are other people worthy? Yes. Can other people lift the hammer without being deemed worthy? No. The latter is what the OP is trying to argue for, and no, not happening.

So what makes Hulk so unworthy then?

The fact he hasn't proven to be worthy and that Thor is currently using the Mjolnir suffice.

#23 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I dont understand why people think Thor is worthy but nobody else is, I mean it's not like he's perfect or anything

That's not really the question here. Are other people worthy? Yes. Can other people lift the hammer without being deemed worthy? No. The latter is what the OP is trying to argue for, and no, not happening.

So what makes Hulk so unworthy then?

The fact he hasn't proven to be worthy and that Thor is currently using the Mjolnir suffice.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but what shows specifically that he's unworthy?

On that note, what shows he is worthy? What is the measure of worthiness? Living up to the legend/expectations/etc. of Thor? We don't know what constitutes worthy as far as I know, so we have no idea if he's able to lift it...

#24 Edited by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@primepower53 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I dont understand why people think Thor is worthy but nobody else is, I mean it's not like he's perfect or anything

That's not really the question here. Are other people worthy? Yes. Can other people lift the hammer without being deemed worthy? No. The latter is what the OP is trying to argue for, and no, not happening.

So what makes Hulk so unworthy then?

The fact he hasn't proven to be worthy and that Thor is currently using the Mjolnir suffice.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but what shows specifically that he's unworthy?

On that note, what shows he is worthy? What is the measure of worthiness? Living up to the legend/expectations/etc. of Thor? We don't know what constitutes worthy as far as I know, so we have no idea if he's able to lift it...

The fact that he hasn't been shown to be worthy is all you need (I can't remember him ever being shown, at least). Anything more than that is you (or whoever else) speculating based on nothing, really.

#25 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@primepower53 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@ReVamp said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I dont understand why people think Thor is worthy but nobody else is, I mean it's not like he's perfect or anything

That's not really the question here. Are other people worthy? Yes. Can other people lift the hammer without being deemed worthy? No. The latter is what the OP is trying to argue for, and no, not happening.

So what makes Hulk so unworthy then?

The fact he hasn't proven to be worthy and that Thor is currently using the Mjolnir suffice.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but what shows specifically that he's unworthy?

On that note, what shows he is worthy? What is the measure of worthiness? Living up to the legend/expectations/etc. of Thor? We don't know what constitutes worthy as far as I know, so we have no idea if he's able to lift it...

The fact that he hasn't been shown to be worthy is all you need (I can't remember him ever being shown, at least). Anything more than that is you (or whoever else) speculating based on nothing, really.

but my point is you could make the same argument for the other side. Unless I'm mistaken, current canon hasn't shown whether or not he's worthy. There's also nothing to show he isn't not worthy (double negative) either.

You can argue for both sides and never get anywhere.

#26 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@primepower53 said:

but my point is you could make the same argument for the other side. Unless I'm mistaken, current canon hasn't shown whether or not he's worthy. There's also nothing to show he isn't not worthy (double negative) either.

You can argue for both sides and never get anywhere.

That's where your wrong. I'm saying that there's nothing to show he is worthy, you're just going to be speculating that he's worthy of the Mjolnir. On the other hand, I'm not saying that he isn't worthy of the Mjolnir, I'm saying he hasn't be shown to do it thus he has no "feats" for it, as crude as the term is. That's why feats are used in battles, because if speculation such as this were to be allowed, then it would be a battle of opinion and not fact.

#27 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@primepower53 said:

but my point is you could make the same argument for the other side. Unless I'm mistaken, current canon hasn't shown whether or not he's worthy. There's also nothing to show he isn't not worthy (double negative) either.

You can argue for both sides and never get anywhere.

That's where your wrong. I'm saying that there's nothing to show he is worthy, you're just going to be speculating that he's worthy of the Mjolnir. On the other hand, I'm not saying that he isn't worthy of the Mjolnir, I'm saying he hasn't be shown to do it thus he has no "feats" for it, as crude as the term is. That's why feats are used in battles, because if speculation such as this were to be allowed, then it would be a battle of opinion and not fact.

I agree it's more of an argument of opinion.

But what constitutes whether one is worthy or not? Feats in battle? Moral code? We don't know if Hulk has shown worthiness as there's nothing to judge by. We don't know the line between worthy and unworthy, as we have nothing to judge from. Is it the person most like Thor? Defeating Thor in battle?

We don't know.

#28 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@primepower53 said:

I agree it's more of an argument of opinion.

But what constitutes whether one is worthy or not? Feats in battle? Moral code? We don't know if Hulk has shown worthiness as there's nothing to judge by. We don't know the line between worthy and unworthy, as we have nothing to judge from. Is it the person most like Thor? Defeating Thor in battle?

We don't know.

Now I'm not sure where you're taking this. Could Hulk potentially be worthy? Yes, if he's shown to in comics. Does that mean that based on what is current cannon that Hulk would be able to lift Thor's hammer? No, because as of yet he's not proven himself Worthy. If he does, then its fine, I can't predict the future, but he hasn't.

If you want to argue opinion and not fact on the other hand, you're free to do that, but that's not what I'm doing here.

#29 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

Holding and lifting are 2 different things. Rulk didn't drop it because there was simply no place for it to drop to. Any one could hold it in space, nothing special about it. The only people truly capable of lifting it are those who are worthy and those more powerful than Odin. Lifting the hammer has literally nothing to do with physical strength

#30 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mercy_ said:

@Alurvelve said:

No.

#31 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@primepower53 said:

I agree it's more of an argument of opinion.

But what constitutes whether one is worthy or not? Feats in battle? Moral code? We don't know if Hulk has shown worthiness as there's nothing to judge by. We don't know the line between worthy and unworthy, as we have nothing to judge from. Is it the person most like Thor? Defeating Thor in battle?

We don't know.

Now I'm not sure where you're taking this. Could Hulk potentially be worthy? Yes, if he's shown to in comics. Does that mean that based on what is current cannon that Hulk would be able to lift Thor's hammer? No, because as of yet he's not proven himself Worthy. If he does, then its fine, I can't predict the future, but he hasn't.

If you want to argue opinion and not fact on the other hand, you're free to do that, but that's not what I'm doing here.

Quite the contrary. I agree with you :P I'm in the mood for debate so I decided to see if I could argue against what I believed.

And I agree with the above statement. He has potential to be worthy, but I'll believe that when I see it.

#32 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

I forget the exact words but Cap was deemed worthy based on his Pyrenees of heart courage and will power... Wonder man shouldn't be worthy IMO other than being Thor's friend what else qualifies him? Hulk I'd say is unworthy because of his temper and lack of self control BUT Thor is guilty of the same. I think you could go as far as to say Thor has the hammer .... Because he's Thor....___ Back to the topic I'd like to see Hulk lift it BUT only with a good reason like that would involve the spell being weaker than normal or Thor was so injured that the spell allowed Hulk to lift it (with much struggle). As many have said the spell is firm and there is no science to it. The hammer simply can not be lifted (by any living being** chairs and tables are not affected by it) . I do wonder if Dr.Doom or Dr.Strange and other powerful mystics would be able to come up with a strong enough spell to allow a strong hero like Hulk to lift it...?

#33 Posted by Lion_Heart22 (446 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, for starters, "heroes" who are rampart killers shouldn't ever be able to lift the hammer. Thor has slayed many a foe, 'tis true. But never has he turned on a defenseless man and destroyed him. Remember when he was framed by Loki of having killed an innocent? He wasn't worthy anymore of being Thor and had to be temporarily replaced. I don't follow Hulk, but I bet he has caused some deaths as a result of his rampages. He also does not use his great power for the greater good. As a savage, he only wants to be left alone, and when he was came back from space, his mind was set only on revenge. Not to mention Professor Hulk. This was a Hulk that had Banner's intelligence, yet, Hulk did some of his most questionable acts in this form. Then there's also the Joe Fixit character... so no, Hulk should never be able to lift Mjolnir because he is not worthy.

And no, he can't do it out of sheer power. Get something, Hulk-fans everywhere! Stan the Man created Thor for the express purpose of being more powerful than Hulk, that is fact. Odin is more powerful than Thor most of the time. Ergo, Hulk shouldn't be able to lift Mjolnir through sheer strength.

#34 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

How many times do I have to say this on Hulk topics? His Strength Is INFINITE. Nothing can stand up to him forever, he has even done damage to the walls between dimensions.

Just because the idea of Thor was originally stronger than Hulk does not mean that he actually is Superman was originally only intended to be able to jump over tall buildings, but it was changed.

#35 Posted by AssertingValor (5392 posts) - - Show Bio

@primepower53: the fact that he is mentally unstable and cannot comprehend its real power......

#36 Posted by johnmilner (1 posts) - - Show Bio

That is the biggest pile of dribble ever allowed to float around in comicdom. It's pure nonsense and appeals only to jarhead Hulk fans who can't comprehend subtlety.

Everything needs limits, otherwise it's boring and sad, as is the idea that Hulk's power is "infinite". Please...

@guttridgeb said:

How many times do I have to say this on Hulk topics? His Strength Is INFINITE. Nothing can stand up to him forever, he has even done damage to the walls between dimensions.

#37 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

That was simply bad writing. Your train of thought took the road of failure when you used Loeb events to reach your conclusion.
#38 Posted by SC (13110 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool points OP. Here's my point of view.  
 
I am a Hulk and a Thor and a Marvel fan. I own every Thor and Hulk book and often laugh at both their wiki pages for being so inaccurate most of the time. I like Hulk because he wears purple pants and Thor because he has a speech impediment. Red Hulk was 'holding' the hammer because according to the writer and editor of the issue the enchantment didn't work in space, and it hasn't been the first time it hasn't either. Writer also stated Thor was holding back.   
 
Sentry's power has been described as near Blackbolts by his creator, Thor has been described as near omnipotent, there is inconsistency for a lot of characters. Thor has lifted a snake the size of the Earth. Stan Lee created Hulk to increase his anger, yes, but he was candid that Hulk at his angriest could match Thor's strength, not surpass it. Other writers get to have their own input and opinion too and since then many consider Hulk stronger sure, but many also don't.   
 
Add in fictional characters, well Hulk could lift hammer tomorrow and Thing could show he is actually stronger than Hulk **shrugs** 

Moderator
#39 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Did you not read my blog? It is not his infinite power that appeals to me. He has been described as such by numerous individuals within the marvel universe including the most powerful one of them all. Besides, what does subtlety have to do with it?

#40 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

Sublety= things that shouldn't need to be completely spelled out or explained in order for the reader to get the point... Like Thor's hammer being enchanted by a magic spell that says no one shall lift it if unworthy. There probably are some characters who 'could' or 'should' be worthy but they have never had the chance or just simply were not worthy at the moment that they did try to lift it. You could say that Spiderman has been worthy since he is brave , has honor, and is a warrior in his own right, but I dint remember him ever trying to lift it. I'm sure there are a few like that who fit the main 'worthiness' as far as what we know about what makes one 'worthy'. We just don't know what the last part that gives a yes or no to them lifting it is.

#41 Posted by The Stegman (24407 posts) - - Show Bio

The only people truly capable of lifting it are those who are worthy and those more powerful than Odin. Lifting the hammer has literally nothing to do with physical strength

This.
#42 Posted by Joygirl (19968 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone could be worthy, interestingly... the most interesting subject is what's "worthy" mean? Exactly like Thor? Obviously not, as Cap lifted it. Does it mean perfectly pure of heart? Obviously not, because Thor isn't. He likes smashing way too much. So who could lift it? Could Wolverine? He likes smashing.

#43 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I know what subtlety means but the argument is invalid, I am talking about solid evidence that is provided in the comic books and using it in my argument. Subtlety has nothing to do with what I am arguing.

#44 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnmilner: his anger limit has not been shown, he is the strongest one there is but he has been beaten numerous times, for example, Zeus beat the Hulk to a bloody pulp

#45 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

"@Enosisik I know what subtlety means but the argument is invalid, I am talking about solid evidence that is provided in the comic books and using it in my argument. Subtlety has nothing to do with what I am arguing. Posted 1 hour, 3 " How about 70 or so years of Marvel history that clearly states that 'No one no matter how strong can lift the hammer due to a magic spell' save the maybe 3 times that someone has which was clearly either due too poor writing or circumstance such as space not having gravity..... I admit I wish Hulk was capable of lifting it but your argument for it is invalid being that Mavel the people who make the books have said it and written it as such on a very consistent basis ... Other than that two or three times.

#46 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

as far as I know, it has never been stated that Hulk cannot do it. His strength is infinite but Mjolnir has been described as impossible to pick up by someone not worthy, they are conflicting statements. I am speculating that it is plausible for Hulk to pick it up using the facts provided in Marvel canon. Feel free to do your own blog that brings together the facts and argues why Mjolnir cannot be lifted but this is my opinion. It won't be changed until Hulk is angry enough destroy the entire multiverse and still cannot pick it up.

#47 Posted by MasterofChaos (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread pleases and upsets me at the same time.

#48 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

@Alurvelve said:

No.

#49 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

How many times do I have to say this on Hulk topics? His Strength Is INFINITE. Nothing can stand up to him forever, he has even done damage to the walls between dimensions.

When?

#50 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw a scan in the forums a little while back, I'll see if I can find it then repost it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.