Why does Hulk never get any respect ?

• 61 results
#1 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

hulk haters love to bring him down and disrespect his abilities why is this

#2 Posted by God_Spawn (38293 posts) - - Show Bio

Every character has haters. Deal with it.

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by nickthedevil (13915 posts) - - Show Bio

The more love a character gets, he also get's an equal amount of hate. Granted, I am a hater of the Jolly Green Giant.

#4 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Hulk fans are expecting too much respect for him.

#5 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Hulk's powers rely so much on guess and estimation. His limits are nonexistent. Any argument in a battle against a large number of characters who should or could beat Hulk are batted aside with the legitimate counter: "But Hulk will just get angrier." That's his power: He gets stronger as he gets angrier, therefore he should logically be able to beat anyone if he's angry enough. Die hard Hulk fans will hold to that simple argument: "Hulk will just get angrier til he beats them because he can keep healing from anything thrown at him." So even against a foe who could beat him easily, such as Superman or Thor, it's difficult to logically present a legitimate argument to convince them otherwise.

Hence the hate: His presence tends to foreshadow a bunch of people saying: "Hulk. Gets angrier. Stomp." Not so much hatred of him as hatred of what he brings with him.

#6 Edited by Seafarinhare (59 posts) - - Show Bio

What exactly are you expecting haters to do? Seems par for the course for haters to..um..hate.

In layman's terms: Haters gonna hate.

#7 Posted by SoA (5241 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: because to those who do not give hulk a chance they see a giant green mongoloid who causes destruction wherever he goes with PIS feats, switch out green with blonde and you have my feelings of thor . i like the hulk but i believe its extremely difficult to write for the big guy , what can you have hulk do when you know he can smack around almost everyone save for gods(no thor does not count ) and cosmic entities ? also how many times can you separate banner and hulk? banner using bannertech was kinda cool , and i guess thats what marvel NOW is going to do (hulk plus banner tech armor , you think about that)

as for me a cool idea would be to use the hulks as a response team : iron man is out of commission , the ff and x-men got their butts handed to them thor (not surprisingly ) has fallen , and every single avenger is down. call in the hulks! hulk , rulk, shulk,lyra, rshulk, a-bomb, skarr, and korg all stomping the crap outta anything that comes their way . in a way almost like the agents of s.m.a.s.h. show that is coming out soon . we were supposed to get a book with a-bomb , she-hulk , beast , and i-forget , that has them battle giant monsters but it got cancelled before it started .

as for haters , everyone does get them .ignore what haters say. as for hulk he was a founding avenger , had a live action show/ movie before any other character , multiple cartoons ,video games, and so far 2 movies (3 if you count avengers)in the last decade he is as iconic as spider-man and wolverine . comes in various colors and personas and there is also this

yeah idc for continuity , at the very least you know one viner who doesn't hate on the hulk , hope this helped .

#8 Edited by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the hulk. Green Hulk is a fan favorite, so he's more loved than hated. Red hulk though is panned because of the crap Jeph Loeb pulled in his writing of Fall of the Hulks/World War Hulks. (even though Red's proven himself to be a genuinely good guy in the long run. Just a hard-ass when dealing with the younger crowds.)

#9 Posted by infonation (1665 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: Hulk's primary weapon is brute force, and that makes him come of like nothing more than an indestructible THUG, sometimes writers use PIS to make it even worse by portraying the Hulk as so strong NOTHING can ever defeat him! I like to think the Hulk might actually be more than just some engine of destruction, he'd have been killed-off years ago if he weren't. Hulk may go on rampages, but he's not Doomsday! He still has Bruce Banner's soul if not his personality, so when he sees innocent people in trouble, he doesn't just ignore them or try to make things worse for them, he actually tries to HELP them! Even when they don't always appreciate it! But some writers just want him to go around detroying everything in his path because he can like a special effect in a Roland Emmerich movie! The Hulk isn't some pumped-up version of Jekell/Hyde! And he's not a brain-damaged version of Frankenstein's monster either! He's Bruce Banner's inner-child unleashed! And even the dumbest children can do the right thing if someone tries to teach them how! Uless of course they're scociopaths, and frankly, I just don't think the Hulk is THAT bad!

#10 Posted by Rickbarry (1853 posts) - - Show Bio

It's his pumpkin pie haircut.

#11 Posted by WillPayton (9820 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's because Hulk is a one-trick pony, and he wins too many fights because of PIS and plot (see WWHulk). Without those things to win him fights here, he gets stomped by people who are faster and more versatile.

It's just that simple.

#12 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18694 posts) - - Show Bio

every popular characters have haters, wolverine, spider-man and so on.

and also some people can't handle hulks awesomeness

#13 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it helps that Hulk is often written to be a one-dimensional character who smashes stuff. When written correctly Hulk is much more than that.

#14 Posted by Sinfulplayerx (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it's true every great character has haters. You just need to enjoy other peoples well thought out opinions and arguments then counter attack with your own. Then when the ignorant zealot haters arrive ....just Hulk out like this.

#15 Posted by logy5000 (6133 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk is wanked frequently. Therefore, people dislike him a lot.

#16 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2684 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I like Hulk but even I can admit that just because he has near limitless strength and a really good healing factor, I doubt he'd withstand being thrown into a sun by Superman, being struck with a blast that could wound Galactus himself by Thor, or logically fight the Silver Surfer.

#17 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8086 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the Hulk. Not so much the current Hulk, but Savage Hulk has always been one of my favorites.

#18 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34979 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny that pepole hate Hulk for the same reason they like Thor

#19 Posted by StMichalofWilson (4098 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a misunderstood creature. Like Frankenstien or Chaz Bono

#20 Posted by BlackWind (7188 posts) - - Show Bio

@Anthonypilone01 said:

@seekquaze: Well,to be honest, but for me, I felt cheated. I say that it was bullshit and it looked like he was holding back and clearly had different intentions, rather than wanting to fight Zeus. See, worldbreaker hulk was obviously attempting to sacrifice himself for his family. he really was not angered just wanting redemption from someone with the power to give it. Zeus was angry at hulk and told him it was the wrong religion anyhow so that's what really happen hulk was not really that angry he plan this. I mean, know for a fact that Hulk can beat a god like Zeus.

I mean what pisses me off are some the people that truly don't understands hulks true intensity, like idk, all I know is that i believe the hulk vs mostly anyone loses, everytime i see hulk vs anything or hulk anything lol, he does not lose, he smashes his opponents, only way to win is calm him down and make him turn into banner, but yeah super pissed about this zeus fight, and i really hope they do make a rematch one day or a match where hulk vs ANY SKYFATHER, and has the most epic battle, but hulk comes out on top, oooooh man would that make all the god fans pissed XD, but its the truth!!!!!!

And Hulk's actions in the Dark Dimension show that he at least has the potential to smash Thanos and Zeus. Hulk would have beaten Zeus and brought down all of Mt. Olympus if he had tapped into those powers. Plus, he already smashed Sentry, who is a godlike being! Hulk's ability to get stronger as he gets more angrier, which thus, would allows him potential to smash guys like Thanos, Thor, The Juggernaut, Zeus, Galactus, Odin,

Truth is that, it was a bit of a messed story in general with the writing. Though, some put up good arguments, but in the end, the outcome is always up to whoever is writing the story and one's personal preferences.

STILL! They should make a story where Zeus and Hulk should come back for a rematch. If people in Marvel could make that happen, that would be very cool. And in showing that the Hulk IS the strongest one there is!!

#21 Posted by GreenScar1990 (635 posts) - - Show Bio

That's simple.

It's because the Hulk is the Strongest One There Is.

Unlike other characters who have been given numerous power-ups, rely on powerful mystical weapons or massive plot-devices to win against powerful beings (Yeah, I'm talking about Thor, Silver Surfer, and Thanos), all that Hulk has ever needed is his limitless gamma power.

I think what irks them the most is that while most heavy hitters, like those I listed and numerous others, have had to rely on power-ups/powerful mystical weapons/massive plot devices, Hulk really hasn't had any of those in his fifty year history.

He's always been The Hulk.

Yes, there's been numerous personas/incarnations, but it's still The Hulk.

It's the fact that his power and abilities are limitless.

He can do things that are impossible, and survive/endure things that even immortals can't.

That's why he has tons of haters.

He's the Strongest One of All.

And may I remind those fanboys that Thor's Godblast hurt a hungry, malnurished Galactus who had been fighting Ego the Living Planet for an extended period of time. You know, I've noticed that a lot of these Thor, Silver Surfer and Thanos fanboys leave a lot of details out when faced with a strong arguement that they can't overcome or get out of.

Come to think of it, when has Thor ever beaten any powerful being/enemy without the aid of Mjolnir, the Odinsword, the OdinForce (which came from Odin and his siblings), some powerful mystical weapon/artifact, or extreme plot-device?

#22 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

You know who gets lots of respect? Batman.

#23 Posted by The Stegman (25986 posts) - - Show Bio

Because the whole "limitless strength" notion is idiotic, even for comic book standards.

#24 Posted by dum529001 (1658 posts) - - Show Bio

It's because the hulk is more powerful AND interesting than many forgettable characters with good stories or memorable characters with forgettable stories. He's a mix the everyday ordinary person, the everyman while also being one of most super of the superpeople. Sure, being the Hulk is enjoyable but Bruce Banner does want to trample the world underfoot with his wrath while forgetting what he values. He struggles not to destroy the world because it is troublesome.

#25 Edited by Sinfulplayerx (193 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

Because the whole "limitless strength" notion is idiotic, even for comic book standards.

Of coarse....you are right...... because..... Magical Hammers, Gods, Infinity Gauntlets, Super men with and with out the power of billions of exploding suns, Rings of power that are the color of green, Amazon Women who fly...have invisible jets... and lassos that make you tell the truth, and people who dress like Bats that possess the power of the Internet / Chuck Norris...... there's no impossible freak'n way that they even pale in comparison to "Limitless Strength". Go back to reading the "Twilight Saga" with the glittery vampires ~Bub.

#26 Posted by BlackWind (7188 posts) - - Show Bio

Because some people act like he can't be defeated.

#27 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4885 posts) - - Show Bio
Because he's Green.  Errrrr one kno dhat  (+)
#28 Posted by _Zombie_ (10448 posts) - - Show Bio

He's got a bad case of Batman syndrome. His fanboys drummed him up to be some unbeatable machine of kickassery, and people got sick of it. So, this transfers to a loss of respect for the character.

#29 Posted by Sinfulplayerx (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Because people hate. The reason / excuse doesn't matter.

#30 Posted by briangsharon (147 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a hater but he is far over powered. Much like supermans early ridiculous feats - Hulk's get brought up ad nauseam.

When asked how he does these things, its just... hes powerful and he did it.

#31 Edited by dum529001 (1658 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's a puke colored, occasionally homeless, perpetual nuke-man who buttkicks 99 percent of the MU.

That means everyone but the Father and Lord of the universe, the guys who created and owns it all, should fear the Hulk unless there are exactly like him.

Hulk's not a God, He's just the Gold standard of Superhuman strength.

People want to argue the Hulk is too powerful and no one should be that powerful but he's just taking advantage of the universes unlimited resource of nuclear power. Hulk's the Gold standard of superhuman strength but he has the sense enough to know he's not a God. Hulk is merely the symbol of unending and renewable nucleer power.

Continually sustaining yourself by feeding on the forces of nature does not make you a God. A God does need to borrow what he created. Living things consume energy but they will always have to give it back. Superhumans like Hulk just take advantage of a loophole, adding and renewing whatever amount of power will meet their needs at the moment. Even Galactus knows he fitting the description of being "immortal" in every aspect does not make you a God. Gods don't struggle with life ups and downs, because unlike humans, God is in control, Bruce Banner refers to the Hulk as a curse becasue it wrecks his life and he didn't choose to be born with it.

Despite his superhumanity, He's got human appeal! He's got problems just like everyone else.

He's that powerful yet he still has human appeal because when he's not being hunted or fighting for his life, he's in his puny human form known as the super-smart-scientist, Bruce Banner.

#32 Posted by Quandary (19 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably because the Hulk more then any other "classic" character in comics has the most one-dimensional premise ever and it just makes him come off as a poor plot device

#33 Posted by Sinfulplayerx (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Many characters are one dimensional if you see with the closed eye. Stories use plot devices. Stories are about character. Stories are about the journey. The answer is D. All of the above.

#34 Posted by Pyrogram (41269 posts) - - Show Bio

To me I think he is a boring, blunt and not written correctly charector,

His strength? getting angry... moving along to next person now..

#35 Posted by Sinfulplayerx (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Your "Common sense" is tingling...... but if you only look at the cover of the book..... then you can only see in "Rob Liefeld" vision. That's 1D with no back grounds for the people who see with there closed eye.

#36 Posted by BlackWind (7188 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram said:

To me I think he is a boring, blunt and not written correctly charector,

His strength? getting angry... moving along to next person now..

I found this hilarious.

#37 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18694 posts) - - Show Bio

the only people who Think hulk is one dimensional haven't read his comic books,

#38 Posted by asIsuspected (543 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

You know who gets lots of respect? Batman.

LOL

#39 Posted by asIsuspected (543 posts) - - Show Bio

Can I give an advice to any Hulk, Superman or Thor etc. haters? Try to read the character and you'll get to love him, because there is alway smth good about any chrctr! Hatred comes from superficial judgement.....

#40 Posted by Sinfulplayerx (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Well said "AsIsuspected". (Sorry currently @ work and can't use the quotes in text editor). I myself only hate Rob Liefeld. ;)

#41 Posted by waezi2 (8423 posts) - - Show Bio

I "hate" the Hulk because apparently Marvelritters can't figure out who he is.

#42 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the Hulk does get respect... not sure about here on ComicVine, but most people I know (irl) love the Hulk.

#43 Posted by pinso (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Same here....Till now i havn't encountered anyone who hates HULK from where i come from.

#44 Posted by ComicMovieCritic4 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Every one's scared of him whether they show it or not.

#45 Edited by Franchise1590 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

The Hulk gets plenty of love in real life. I think most of the haters online originate from insecure Thor and Supes fans.

The Hulk is a legendary character that is always gonna take priority over others that some fans may think are better. So there's always gonna be resentment towards the Hulk for that.

Batman and Superman get the same resentment hate as does Wonderwoman, Deadpool, and Wolverine. etc.

You should take it as a sign of pride of how awesome that character you love is instead of worrying about people who don't matter opinions.

#46 Posted by joshmightbe (24702 posts) - - Show Bio

@Franchise1590: I love Hulk, Thor and Superman, I've been a huge fan of Hulk ever since I started reading comics but I never get mad when Hulk loses a fight because unbeatable is boring as hell, that's why I prefer my Superman comics when the big deal threats are around instead of little schmoes like toy man

#47 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18694 posts) - - Show Bio

hulk does get respect, but all chracters have haters, comic vine tends to downgrade hulk sometimes, but it's not that big of a deal.

#48 Posted by DarkDay (634 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@Franchise1590: I love Hulk, Thor and Superman, I've been a huge fan of Hulk ever since I started reading comics but I never get mad when Hulk loses a fight because unbeatable is boring as hell, that's why I prefer my Superman comics when the big deal threats are around instead of little schmoes like toy man

I agree with this. But if anything I think it gets annoying when people are upset about a character losing fights in general. I love Thor, Hulk, and Superman, but why the heck would it matter if they take a beating or not. They are powerful characters that put most other characters to shame when it comes to strength, durability, healing, etc. Long story short they're the top of the list in ability within reason of their respective universes. So the whole "The Character I like Has To Be The Strongest" mentality makes no sense to me. If you enjoy a character, enjoy them. And characters that never lose are indeed boring in my opinion.

#49 Posted by joshmightbe (24702 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkDay: I hate that my character has to win every fight mentality, Sometimes the best stories can come from a character you like losing. For instance I'm also a big Spiderman fan but when in "Kraven's Last Hunt" he lost to Sergei I didn't freak out about it because that was an awesome story regardless.

#50 Edited by DarkDay (634 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@DarkDay: I hate that my character has to win every fight mentality, Sometimes the best stories can come from a character you like losing. For instance I'm also a big Spiderman fan but when in "Kraven's Last Hunt" he lost to Sergei I didn't freak out about it because that was an awesome story regardless.

Agreed. Also let me say, "God I loved that story and actually Grim Hunt too."

Personally I've come to really dig Thor recently, but my favorite Thor stories are the down to earth not a whole lot of action stories. So yeah it is really about perspective, but I don't understand the "my favorite has to be strongest" people.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.