Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7765 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Why do you like Hulk?

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eternal19

as the title says why do you like him? What about him makes you want to read his comics?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

For me its less for the power and more his personality. I love how he still feels the need to protect people despite how much they fear him and try to hurt him. I also love the whole Hulk/Banner dynamic.

Luster77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Luster77

2 ME, HANDS DOWN, HE IS POSSIBLY THE MOST COMPLEX CHARACTER IN COMICS. BRUCE/HULK....VERY SMART, VERY POWERFUL.....I BELIEVE IF HE REALLY WANTED TO, HE COULD RULE THE WORLD....

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
    deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he smashes stuff.

gethere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gethere

A lot of the same reason as stated above. I like how he has multiple personalities,it add a interesting dynamic. As well as how despite he can be jerk he is still a good guy.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Gambit1024

It depends on how he's written. I love me some Planet Hulk persona, but the all too common HULK SMASH persona gets on my nerves.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I like "no smart" hulk, and he and he's cast is colorful.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

I'm not a huge fan of him but I've been liking him more as I go back to my roots with the character. Watched some of the old cartoons with Lou as the VA and how he nailed the role down was just awesome. The Avengers movie probably helped a bit too. I can't really handle him in large doses in comics personally, but I enjoy him in other media forms like in the movies (Planet Hulk) and the EMH show and video games.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#10  Edited By Teerack

Because Hulk is the strongest there is.

But seriously Hulk comics have always been very egocentric comics and with the exception of Superman and Spider-Man there aren't any comics that have as much character development based around the main character.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fifthchild

Basically it probably comes down to the fact that I got into the character as a kid. Mostly through the TV show I guess. Then began reading PADs run years later and it being really good rekindled that interest and made me appreciate different things about the character.

stastny1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By stastny1986

I have always likes the whole innocent man turning into a monster against his will theme. Also he's just incredibly awesome.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#13  Edited By Dracade102

The Jekyll and Hyde relationship with Bruce Banner and Hulk's always had some appeal to me... Plus, he fits most characteristics of a raging killing machine from a monster movie but he focuses his rage into heroism, as far as Hulk can go at least...

Mei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mei

He's strong and green :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
    deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

His healing factor. That and he's green.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By theTimeStreamer

jekyll/hyde and smashy stuff. and green. and the awesome purple pants.

canuckdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By canuckdad

@eternal19: as several folks have stated, I feel Banner/Hulk is the most complex character in comics today. I love classic literature and Hulks story is clearly the Jekyll/Hyde story. As well as Frankenstein. I love that Banner is a genius yet Hulk is so savage and primal. Banner does not love being a hero like so many others yet ye has saved so many lives. I also love that some times he can get out of control and become dangerous. He can be so good yet so bad. There is no other character this compelling if you ask me. Sure I love HULK SMASH! But it's really about Banner for me and this complex story.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Gray Hulk that i like the most. It was the one that really sold that Mr. Hyde persona.

Heymelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Hulk from a early age and hadn´t really thought about why as much until I read this. But now it seems kinda obvious to me. It´s the combination of several things. Some of it is the Banner - Hulk mind struggle. But a lot is from the Hulks personality himself. He is dumb, or simple you could say. A confused child´s mind. Yet he is Rage incarnate . He has all this power but would it not be for the rage within him he would most likely be a gentle giant. At times he smashes uncontrollably and does things you couldn´t morally accept from a "good guy" but he can´t be blamed . All he understands are loneliness and anger most of the time. So this allows you to view him as morally good and sympathies with him even though he sometimes just rampage away like a mad man. He doesn´t know where this rage comes from and he can´t control it. And also for me it´s partly the sort of natural and raw, primal and unlimited smashing itself . You can see his rage and mindless willingness to just smash everything in his way and he is made to do so . Can´t you remember some time as maybe a kid where you was mistreated or something, and you had like a urge and a wish you could just pick up and smash everyone that did you wrong and crush all to you "evil" or something but all you could do is to stand there. I´m not saying that is right but that is what the Hulk feels and he gets to do it. All he knows is a kids fear and unlimited rage as a response. He wants to be the strongest there is so he can smash and beat and destroy everything so that he just can be alone because he things this is what whill make him safe and happy. These are feelings i just can understand and most of us have probably had some small version of it when we were angry as kids or even adults. But Its just magnified to such a high degree with Hulk ho is this misunderstood beast in a child mind that doesn´t understand anything and people just want to kill him . (at least that´s how it went in the early days). So there are a couple of things I guess. More practically speaking I guess i kinda like the powers as well the strength/healing/durability going up with rage allowing him to fight forever. And he can fight such wide variety of power levels pretty well thanks to this set of traits fairly evenly. Because he can be tricked or stopped by lower level characters as well so It´s often exciting to read.

Here is a nice video from a "what if" Hulk comic. Its an future scenario where he and Banner is all that is left and it contains some of the elements I talked about and why I like the Hulk. Not much fighting but It shows the inner dialogues and battles between the two personalities and Hulks inevitable realization, that when he finally beats everything away and gets to be alone, alone might just not be that great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAHbAekM7wU

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..Jekyll and Hyde character I can relate to. The greek tragedy element that was expounded on so well in that original TV Series. The Banner/Hulk relationship is complex and Banner is complex, but the Hulk is wonderfully uncomplex compared with some characters. He doesn't have loads of powers, he is just really, really strong and tough...love the fact that the angrier he gets, the stronger he gets and more durable, so there is endless potential for stories..

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#21 god_spawn  Moderator

I'm not a huge fan of him but I've been liking him more as I go back to my roots with the character. Watched some of the old cartoons with Lou as the VA and how he nailed the role down was just awesome. The Avengers movie probably helped a bit too. I can't really handle him in large doses in comics personally, but I enjoy him in other media forms like in the movies (Planet Hulk) and the EMH show and video games.

Still kind of have to go with this. The things I would change would be I do like him more now and I don't have any problems with how often he shows up.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
    thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His relationship with Bruce

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love the savage hulk more

MUFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

coz he smashes and bashes. :P

MUFC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he smashes and bashes.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

other than because he is an avenger, i don't really have a reason to like him.

The fanboys sometimes makes me hate him. His powers are cool. But isn't my favourite because the son of Odin is.

ilikedonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By ilikedonuts

Well, first of, I love him cuz he's pretty much my favorite type of character: a brick. A brawler, a slugger, an' pretty much a heavyweight tank wrestler with devastatin' punches an' wins battles by smashin' his opponents an' smashin' other stuff. I pretty much love him cuz his very big, strong, powerful, durable, punches really hard, likes ta punch, likes ta smash, very aggressive, etc. I also love him cuz 'a his personality, he wants ta protect people an' all 'a that. I also love his brutal personality an' how he says "Hulk smash" an' loves the word smash, like me. I love him even more when he talks with proper vocabulary, like here:

Loading Video...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Ya get the point.

But, as much as I love Hulk, the Thing will ALWAYS be my favorite character.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for hulksmashlittleman
    HULKSMASHLITTLEMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers movie was only blockbuster because of the Hulk . Thor is my least favorite character in all comics . He is overrated and the most unimpressive character

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Hulk but his fanboys overrate him

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Because he is not only the physically most powerful being in all of comics, he's also one of the most powerful heroic beings in comics. Plus, he's a very unique and complex character. You can't help but not like him.

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I like the fact that he is the character with the highest potential of being the most powerful being of the marvel universe but done in way that no other hero, anti-hrro stories have been done before. He is sometimes a good guy and sometimes a bit less or just wants to do his own thing (Jekyll/Hyde). kind of takes you out of the usual boring good guy hero Who just saves the world all the time. It really keeps me on the edge of my seat because you don't know wich way it is going to go with every writer's version. I think it is one of the most developed character in the MU. All his personalities make it even more interesting. Avenger Hulk Green Scar WWH Savage Hulk and now Doc green and I'm skipping a few. I mean his strength and inteligence has infinite potential and it seems the writers find a way to always make it interesting And add their little twist. Like I said even the writers have infinite potential to make a good story with all of Hulk's personalities. Now there has been some subpar runs but in general most writers added more and more dimensions to hulk. I also like his power level. He has infinite potential in strength but instead of just being straight out most powerfully boring it really depends on how mad he is and that makes it that he can be beaten by low level characters so he is not boringly OP. It's like a rollercoaster ride in strength levels instead of always being a straight line up top. You know at some point he could just destroy anybody but you never know when.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Because he's an unstoppable engine of rage and destruction

And he can do this
    And he can do this

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk is the strongest there is

Heymelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because he eats his vegetable

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And drinks his milk !

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.