Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7769 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Who's Physically Stronger Hulk or Thor?

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Depends.

Thor is stronger than most of Hulk's versions. Only WB may be able to match him

But, Hulk can grow stronger, so in a way he is potentially stronger than Thor.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#152 vance_astro  Moderator

@dannyjonesy said:

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying because the writer thinks Hulk is stronger then Thor that this is evidence of Hulk being stronger. I'm also not saying this issue is proof that Hulk is stronger then Thor. I'm simply stating the fact I think this is some evidence that points toward Hulk being stronger. Also the whole interview is about how Hulk was able to knock Thor out with his hammer not just one question. So, yes he says that Thor's surprise has a part in why Hulk is successful BUT he also states that Hulk was able to make Thor knock himself out because he was stronger then Thor at that moment.

.... Again, this isn't about being worthy or strong enough to lift Mjolnir, its just about being stronger than THOR and at that moment the HULK was.

When the writer says "this isn't about being worthy or strong enough.....it's just about being stronger than Thor", "this" and "it" are describing the act of Hulk making Thor knock himself out. From the beginning of my posts I always said Thor was surprised when Hulk did this but I do think that Hulk's strength level at the time played just as much of a factor and I think that the writer is saying it played a factor too with that statement. Again, I'm not stating this issue alone definitely proves that Hulk is stronger than Thor but I do think it is valid as a piece of evidence that Hulk is stronger then Thor. Obviously you should take into account all of the encounters between Hulk and Thor but I do think this is valid enough to give Hulk a strength edge in this issue.

I understand what your intentions where but if I was going to try and prove Hulk is stronger than Thor, that isn't the scan I would choose. What you posted has several of variables attached (time period, whether Hulk's strength had anything to do with pulling that off, whether Hulk is telling the story how it actually happened or whether he's remembering it differently than it actually happened, the writer admitting to plot devices and Hulk only "winning" because the book was about Hulk.) so I don't think it's a valid piece of evidence at all. I honestly don't believe that Hulk overpowered Thor in any way, shape or form nor do I believe anything from the interview on the issue could be interpreted as proof that's what that scene shows. If strength mattered then why when he was SPECIFICALLY asked about Thor being ready for the attack doesn't he mention strength at all? Why would him being "stunned" even matter if it didn't leave him pretty much defenseless? Why would Hulk NEED to be stronger than Thor to make him hit himself with Mjolnir at a point where he's basically helpless? Also why would the SAME EXACT tactic be used in both instances where Hulk pulled this off?

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@dannyjonesy said:

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying because the writer thinks Hulk is stronger then Thor that this is evidence of Hulk being stronger. I'm also not saying this issue is proof that Hulk is stronger then Thor. I'm simply stating the fact I think this is some evidence that points toward Hulk being stronger. Also the whole interview is about how Hulk was able to knock Thor out with his hammer not just one question. So, yes he says that Thor's surprise has a part in why Hulk is successful BUT he also states that Hulk was able to make Thor knock himself out because he was stronger then Thor at that moment.

.... Again, this isn't about being worthy or strong enough to lift Mjolnir, its just about being stronger than THOR and at that moment the HULK was.

When the writer says "this isn't about being worthy or strong enough.....it's just about being stronger than Thor", "this" and "it" are describing the act of Hulk making Thor knock himself out. From the beginning of my posts I always said Thor was surprised when Hulk did this but I do think that Hulk's strength level at the time played just as much of a factor and I think that the writer is saying it played a factor too with that statement. Again, I'm not stating this issue alone definitely proves that Hulk is stronger than Thor but I do think it is valid as a piece of evidence that Hulk is stronger then Thor. Obviously you should take into account all of the encounters between Hulk and Thor but I do think this is valid enough to give Hulk a strength edge in this issue.

I understand what your intentions where but if I was going to try and prove Hulk is stronger than Thor, that isn't the scan I would choose. What you posted has several of variables attached (time period, whether Hulk's strength had anything to do with pulling that off, whether Hulk is telling the story how it actually happened or whether he's remembering it differently than it actually happened, the writer admitting to plot devices and Hulk only "winning" because the book was about Hulk.) so I don't think it's a valid piece of evidence at all. I honestly don't believe that Hulk overpowered Thor in any way, shape or form nor do I believe anything from the interview on the issue could be interpreted as proof that's what that scene shows. If strength mattered then why when he was SPECIFICALLY asked about Thor being ready for the attack doesn't he mention strength at all? Why would him being "stunned" even matter if it didn't leave him pretty much defenseless? Why would Hulk NEED to be stronger than Thor to make him hit himself with Mjolnir at a point where he's basically helpless? Also why would the SAME EXACT tactic be used in both instances where Hulk pulled this off?

I dont really see how someone can seriously argue that the scans from LTBB dont show Hulk as significantly stronger than Thor. Thor would have to be brain-dead to not attempt to resist having his face smashed in with his own hammer. This is not like the Avengers Assemble issue where Hulk was a teammate and there was an obvious element of surprise - in this case Thor was in the middle of a fight with the Hulk and Hulk grabbed the hammer and beat his face in with it. End of story. Thor even had time to begin to compose some kind of verbal response before having his face smashed in again so the "wasnt resisting" argument is a bit of a non-starter IMO.

And Snyder's interview should be taken with a huge grain of salt given the context that it was given in and the furore surrounding the issue - the very fact that an entire interview/story was commissioned by one of the major comics news websites centered on a Battleboard related question from an otherwise forgettable fill-in issue was more or less unprecedented and hasnt been seen since to my knowledge. There are things in there that give away the point of view he had when writing the story and other bits that are quite obviously him trying to say anything that will make people happy.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 vance_astro  Moderator

@fifthchild said:

I dont really see how someone can seriously argue that the scans from LTBB dont show Hulk as significantly stronger than Thor. Thor would have to be brain-dead to not attempt to resist having his face smashed in with his own hammer. This is not like the Avengers Assemble issue where Hulk was a teammate and there was an obvious element of surprise - in this case Thor was in the middle of a fight with the Hulk and Hulk grabbed the hammer and beat his face in with it. End of story. Thor even had time to begin to compose some kind of verbal response before having his face smashed in again so the "wasnt resisting" argument is a bit of a non-starter IMO.

And Snyder's interview should be taken with a huge grain of salt given the context that it was given in and the furore surrounding the issue - the very fact that an entire interview/story was commissioned by one of the major comics news websites centered on a Battleboard related question from an otherwise forgettable fill-in issue was more or less unprecedented and hasnt been seen since to my knowledge. There are things in there that give away the point of view he had when writing the story and other bits that are quite obviously him trying to say anything that will make people happy.

I can argue that because if you look at the scan, clearly he's been taken by surprise that Hulk grabbed his hand. The evidence is right on panel even if I completely ignored anything Snyder said. Thor's reaction or lack there of was used as a plot device so that Hulk could win the fight. The reason that this instance matches the one in Avengers Assembled is because there is STILL some element of surprise, Snyder suggests that not only is he surprised because "nobody had ever done that too him before", he's surprised because up until that point he was winning, he stopped hitting the Hulk to give him a chance to yield\surrender. The fact that Thor had time to form a verbal response between hits doesn't change the element of surprise or whether he had a chance or time to pull away, i'm assuming that first hit took alot out of him. A clean shot in the face from an angry Hulk with Mjolnir isn't something you quickly recover from.

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no element of surprise Hulk was right in front of him and grabbed his hammer, Hulk even had the time to finish a sentence as he was holding onto Thors hand, if there is any kind of surprise it's from the fact that Thor could not resist Hulk smashing Miljonir in his face. Too argue otherwise is just a silly attempt at grasping for the straws.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fifthchild said:

I can argue that because if you look at the scan, clearly he's been taken by surprise that Hulk grabbed his hand. The evidence is right on panel even if I completely ignored anything Snyder said.

You are imagining things. Nowhere is it "clearly" indicated in the story that Thor is taken by surprise. Theres no narration, no dialogue, no "Od's blood!", no lines of shock around Thor's head to indicate that Thor is taken unawares nor anything to indicate that Thor is holding Mjolnir in his patented "loose un-battle-ready grip" that would make it especially easy for Hulk to bash it into his face like an adult manhandling a small child.

Thor's reaction or lack there of was used as a plot device so that Hulk could win the fight.

Nope. It was Hulk being stronger than Thor. Which is why thats exactly what Hulk says before he grabs Thor's hammer and bashes his face in with it. You are inventing this "plot device" theory. The plot device is Hulk's dynamic strength.

The reason that this instance matches the one in Avengers Assembled is because there is STILL some element of surprise, Snyder suggests that not only is he surprised because "nobody had ever done that too him before", he's surprised because up until that point he was winning, he stopped hitting the Hulk to give him a chance to yield\surrender. The fact that Thor had time to form a verbal response between hits doesn't change the element of surprise or whether he had a chance or time to pull away,

Even if we go with your "surprise" theory it absolutely does.

i'm assuming that first hit took alot out of him. A clean shot in the face from an angry Hulk with Mjolnir isn't something you quickly recover from.

You are assuming that Thor still wasnt resisting presumably because he was already out on his feet or so mentally incapacitated that we should take his attempt at speech as confusion or something and thats why Hulk continued to bash his face in with what seemed like as much ease as before.

At any rate you are going pretty far to come up with a complex explanation for a pretty simple scene. Usually IMO its better to go with the most obvious explanation unless there is something in the story to indicate otherwise.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 vance_astro  Moderator

@fifthchild said:

You are imagining things. Nowhere is it "clearly" indicated in the story that Thor is taken by surprise. Theres no narration, no dialogue, no "Od's blood!", no lines of shock around Thor's head to indicate that Thor is taken unawares nor anything to indicate that Thor is holding Mjolnir in his patented "loose un-battle-ready grip" that would make it especially easy for Hulk to bash it into his face like an adult manhandling a small child.

I'm not imagining things. His face says shock or surprise, the writer of the issue confirms what I said. There's nothing to argue about in that regard. Thor was taken by surprise. If that's not what YOU see, that's what was intended.

@fifthchild said:

Nope. It was Hulk being stronger than Thor. Which is why thats exactly what Hulk says before he grabs Thor's hammer and bashes his face in with it. You are inventing this "plot device" theory. The plot device is Hulk's dynamic strength.

Hulk saying that "He's the strongest there is" before hitting Thor doesn't confirm any type of overpowering of Thor.

@fifthchild said:

You are assuming that Thor still wasnt resisting presumably because he was already out on his feet or so mentally incapacitated that we should take his attempt at speech as confusion or something and thats why Hulk continued to bash his face in with what seemed like as much ease as before.

At any rate you are going pretty far to come up with a complex explanation for a pretty simple scene. Usually IMO its better to go with the most obvious explanation unless there is something in the story to indicate otherwise.

It's pretty straight forward. Snyder didn't have alot of room to write a full Hulk vs. Thor story so because it was Hulk's book he found a way for him to win easily and quickly. What's complex about that?

@raynorj said:

There is no element of surprise Hulk was right in front of him and grabbed his hammer, Hulk even had the time to finish a sentence as he was holding onto Thors hand, if there is any kind of surprise it's from the fact that Thor could not resist Hulk smashing Miljonir in his face. Too argue otherwise is just a silly attempt at grasping for the straws.

Hulk being right in front of him is irrelevant. He's not surprised because he doesn't know Hulk was there he's surprised because he didn't know Hulk was capable of catching Mjolnir. How this is the part that's outlandish is beyond me, especially seeing as how the writer stated he was "stunned" in his own words. But I forgot we are supposed to take Snyder's words with a grain of salt, I mean it's not like he WROTE the book or anything.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro said:

@fifthchild said:

I'm not imagining things. His face says shock or surprise, the writer of the issue confirms what I said. There's nothing to argue about in that regard. Thor was taken by surprise. If that's not what YOU see, that's what was intended.

His face says shock and surprise? Colour me unimpressed. His face says "I was drawn by a really bad artist". I've already said I dont think much of what Snyder said in that interview (and you said you didnt need it to support your argument) as he would clearly say anything at that point to get people to leave him alone - he even tried to argue that Hulk was running away from Thor at the end of the issue. Do you really think that was "what was intended" when the issue was actually being written and drawn?

But lets go with Snyder's words for a second - as mentioned Snyder said Hulk was definitely stronger than Thor in that scene. Case closed right? Apparently not - because you try to argue that the surprise which Snyder talks about as something that was "clearly" conveyed in the comic but the strength (that the naive reader would assume is what enabled Hulk to beat in Thor's face) was somehow not show in that scene.

Basically I think you are picking and choosing what you want from that interview. Which on the one hand is fine because I think Snyder was being pretty clearly dishonest but I dont think you are doing so in a way that reveals what Syder and co actually intended at the time the comic was published. I imagine Snyder's unguarded feelings were more in evidence when he said on the forums that he always saw Thor going up against the Hulk as being akin to Wonder Woman going up against Superman - not a comparison that is particularly favourable to the Thunderer in terms of raw physical strength.

@fifthchild

said:

Hulk saying that "He's the strongest there is" before hitting Thor doesn't confirm any type of overpowering of Thor.

Of course not. Hulk saying he is stronger than Thor before grabbing Thor's arm and beating his face in with his own hammer OTOH, tends to make for a pretty strong case though.

@fifthchild

said:

It's pretty straight forward. Snyder didn't have alot of room to write a full Hulk vs. Thor story so because it was Hulk's book he found a way for him to win easily and quickly. What's complex about that?

Sure - and the way he won was by grabbing Thor's arm like an older brother grabbing their younger brothers arm and doing a "stop hitting yourself" routine with Mjolnir. By being stronger than Thor. Madder, stronger, simple.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 vance_astro  Moderator

@fifthchild said:

His face says shock and surprise? Colour me unimpressed. His face says "I was drawn by a really bad artist". I've already said I dont think much of what Snyder said in that interview (and you said you didnt need it to support your argument) as he would clearly say anything at that point to get people to leave him alone - he even tried to argue that Hulk was running away from Thor at the end of the issue. Do you really think that was "what was intended" when the issue was actually being written and drawn?

So dissing the artist somehow refutes the look of surprise on his face? I'm supposed to believe that Snyder said that Thor was stunned allowing Hulk to take advantage to get people to leave him alone, although what he's saying coincides with what's shown on panel? I don't remember the entire interview from the top of my head but I'm positive he never said that Hulk ran FROM THOR he simply said "Hulk runs away" which he does as shown on panel. As far as the "being surprised" issue is concerned there is more evidence that supports what I believe than otherwise.

But lets go with Snyder's words for a second - as mentioned Snyder said Hulk was definitely stronger than Thor in that scene. Case closed right? Apparently not - because you try to argue that the surprise which Snyder talks about as something that was "clearly" conveyed in the comic but the strength (that the naive reader would assume is what enabled Hulk to beat in Thor's face) was somehow not show in that scene.

Basically I think you are picking and choosing what you want from that interview. Which on the one hand is fine because I think Snyder was being pretty clearly dishonest but I dont think you are doing so in a way that reveals what Syder and co actually intended at the time the comic was published. I imagine Snyder's unguarded feelings were more in evidence when he said on the forums that he always saw Thor going up against the Hulk as being akin to Wonder Woman going up against Superman - not a comparison that is particularly favourable to the Thunderer in terms of raw physical strength.

It's not case closed because i'm not arguing whether Hulk is stronger than Thor, or even if he was in that instance. I'm arguing whether that scan even depicts a valid strength feat for the character. The reason why my focus is on dismissing this as a strength feat is because if you're right and i'm wrong then that would suggest a much higher gap between the two characters strength wise the two characters than what has been displayed and their many previous encounters. It makes perfect sense that if he wasn't able to defend himself, Hulk could win easily without actually having to physically match Thor.

Of course not. Hulk saying he is stronger than Thor before grabbing Thor's arm and beating his face in with his own hammer OTOH, tends to make for a pretty strong case though.

That actually doesn't make much of a case at all. Hulk's boasting about his strength doesn't ever have anything to do with whether he's ACTUALLY "the strongest there is" or even stronger than his opponent in any instance. Perfect example is when he fought Red Hulk. He's saying he's "the strongest there is" as Red Hulk proceeds to pin him and hold him down also telling Red Hulk "the madder he gets the stronger he gets" he gets of a few shots and then Red Hulk catches his punch and puts him in an armlock that he held him in for for at least a page without Hulk being able to get himself free.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro said:

@fifthchild said:

So dissing the artist somehow refutes the look of surprise on his face?

It means that some semi-mongoloid depiction of Thor's mouth open and arm twisting back doesnt really count as a clear and unequivocal in-story depiction of Thor being too surprised to physically resist Hulk striking him with his own hammer. In terms of evidence its much, much weaker than you make it out to be.

I'm supposed to believe that Snyder said that Thor was stunned allowing Hulk to take advantage to get people to leave him alone, although what he's saying coincides with what's shown on panel?

As pointed out before he said in the very same interview that Hulk coud do it because he was stronger than Thor. Which I'm sure is much closer to what he intended given that the interview was basically him trying to make Thor fans feel better.

I don't remember the entire interview from the top of my head but I'm positive he never said that Hulk ran FROM THOR he simply said "Hulk runs away" which he does as shown on panel. As far as the "being surprised" issue is concerned there is more evidence that supports what I believe than otherwise.

Heres what he said:

"Hulk is down and bleeding and he goes to finish him off and Hulk CATCHES HIS HAND! He is stunned for a second and Hulk takes advantage of that and bashes him in the face a few times. And then RUNS AWAY! If I had more than a one shot, the fight would have went on longer and Thor could have come back, but Hulk ran away."

Snyder makes the pretty ridiculous implication that Thor "could have come back" from his nap to win the fight if only Hulk hadnt fled from him, and yes "running away" has a pretty clear implication that simply saying "but HULK LEFT!!" does not convey.

Also note that in the actual story Thor doesn't go to "finish him off" with Hulk "catching his hand" as Snyder describes in the interview (which would probably only have made the scene even more impressive and made it pretty much impossible to argue that Thor was not resisting the Hulk). So again, a fun interview but IMO it has to be taken with a grain of salt as for how much it reveals about the actual comic.

@fifthchild said:

It's not case closed because i'm not arguing whether Hulk is stronger than Thor, or even if he was in that instance. I'm arguing whether that scan even depicts a valid strength feat for the character. The reason why my focus is on dismissing this as a strength feat is because if you're right and i'm wrong then that would suggest a much higher gap between the two characters strength wise the two characters than what has been displayed and their many previous encounters.

Firstly - its interesting to note that Snyder went to some length in his interview to explain why that might be the case:

"Normally, I would say that the two are fairly evenly matched. BUT as EVERYONE know, the ANGRIER Hulk gets, the STRONGER Hulk gets, which is why Hulk can ultimately beat anyone, because unless you prevent him from getting upset or frustrated, he's just gonna keep getting angry until he over powers you. AND in this instance the Hulk has just finished fighting the Wrecking Crew, so he's already pretty revved up and tired of being hit by magic sticks! (He got hit by the Wreckers' Crowbar a whole bunch and THOR gives him a VERY REASONABLE beat down before this moment.)

So, who is stronger? Hulk! He is mad as Hell and not going to take being hit by magic sticks anymore!

Also, keep in mind the context of the fight, Bruce Banner was trying to help a pregnant lady who was about to be crushed to death by falling rock, he Hulks out and goes after the Wrecking Crew. But because of all the property damage he is causing Thor is sent to take him down, but the Hulk was just trying to do the right thing and now he's getting beat up for it."

But more to the point I dont think your staement is entirely true, and even to the extent that it is I dont think that the best way to address it is to try and shoehorn in new exaplanations. For one thing I think Hulk was shown as significantly stronger at the end of Larsen's 2001 Annual. Yes there was an element of surprise in the beatdown that Hulk gave Thor there (one that, unlike here, was indeed clearly shown in Thor's reaction) and yet it was a completely one-sided affair and Thor's assesment at the end that Hulk might be the "strongest creature who ever lived" (considering some of the characters Thor has tangled with) bears out the idea that Hulk was not just edging Thor out in physical strength at that point in time.

I cant be bothered going further into their history but IMO if this is, as you argue, an outlier, then the best approach is not to try and explain it away with "Thor wasn't really trying" or whatever. Chalk it up as a high end showing for Hulk's strength relative to Thor. Which kind of touches on another point concerning why its not that much of a huge outlier to me and thats that I dont think this is really that much of a high end showing for Hulk's strength in general as Hulk's dynamic strength has traditionally tended to be downplayed in his encounters with Thor IMO.

It makes perfect sense that if he wasn't able to defend himself, Hulk could win easily without actually having to physically match Thor.

Sure but I think thats a rather convoluted way to read the scene. And not just over one hit but 3 sucessive blows. Particularly given that we see Thor had time to try and rattle off some thought.

@fifthchild said:

That actually doesn't make much of a case at all. Hulk's boasting about his strength doesn't ever have anything to do with whether he's ACTUALLY "the strongest there is" or even stronger than his opponent in any instance. Perfect example is when he fought Red Hulk. He's saying he's "the strongest there is" as Red Hulk proceeds to pin him and hold him down also telling Red Hulk "the madder he gets the stronger he gets" he gets of a few shots and then Red Hulk catches his punch and puts him in an armlock that he held him in for for at least a page without Hulk being able to get himself free.

This doesnt address what I just said. I wasnt saying Hulk was stronger here because he said so - its because he showed it was so. The writer having Hulk shout that hes stronger than Thor just before he beats Thor's head in just makes the (actual) intent of the scene more clear.

However we have a fundamental disagreement over what this scene shows which means that this conversation isnt going to go anywhere unless one of us changes our minds on that. But at no point have I argued that Hulk was stronger because he said he was.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@fifthchild said:

However we have a fundamental disagreement over what this scene shows which means that this conversation isnt going to go anywhere unless one of us changes our minds on that. But at no point have I argued that Hulk was stronger because he said he was.

This is true so i'm not going to continue. I feel like my last post and previous posts said everything I needed to say and it seems pointless to continue to go around in circles. As far as what you argued concerning what Hulk said, you were suggesting that what Hulk says has something to do with the intent of the scene; I completely disagree, but again we can argue over this all day, i'm not going to budge because I don't think i'm wrong.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Hulk is stronger, Thor has more powers, both are extremely powerful and evenly matched. That sums it up pretty good in my eyes.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fifthchild said:

This is true so i'm not going to continue. I feel like my last post and previous posts said everything I needed to say and it seems pointless to continue to go around in circles. As far as what you argued concerning what Hulk said, you were suggesting that what Hulk says has something to do with the intent of the scene; I completely disagree, but again we can argue over this all day, i'm not going to budge because I don't think i'm wrong.

Agreed. I think we have both said all we can say on the topic and anything else would just be repetitive. Anyone reading is free to make up their own minds as to how they feel about the scene.

Cheers.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 vance_astro  Moderator

@fifthchild said:

Agreed. I think we have both said all we can say on the topic and anything else would just be repetitive. Anyone reading is free to make up their own minds as to how they feel about the scene.

Cheers.

Thanks for keeping it civil.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fifthchild said:

Cheers.

Thanks for keeping it civil.

Likewise. Sorry if i came off as a bit sarcastic or whatever before. I do get a bit defensive about my man Hulk but no offense intended.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 vance_astro  Moderator

@fifthchild said:

Likewise. Sorry if i came off as a bit sarcastic or whatever before. I do get a bit defensive about my man Hulk but no offense intended.

No Problem.

Doomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Thor have his Belt of Strength in all his fights with Hulk?

hulk465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By hulk465

@

The Hulk is stronger than Thor because 1) Thor said it in "Hulk annual 2001" that Hulk is stronger, 2) Tom Defalco who wrote Thor stories and was editor in chief of Marvel said in "Hulk: the incredible guide" that Hulk possessed far greater strength.

Fact: Thor has never knocked out Hulk in H2H combat in the 616 universe. This might explain why Thor said he has never beaten Hulk in "Fear Itself". Thor has beaten Hulk with lighting but Thor wants a true warriors code of battle "win" in H2H combat against a mortal. Also, Nul/Hulk was NOT knocked out in "Fear Itself" because in space he was trying to talk and there's no sound in space.

I just can't believe why Marvel hasn't done all of 616 universe Hulk/Thor battles in one trade collection instead of these endless reprints of stuff that just came out months ago. I happen to have every single Hulk/Thor battle in comics and if everyone had it in trade form there would be less arguing. For the record- Hulk is stronger but Thor more powerful as said in "Hulk annual 2001" and it is possible for the fight to go either way.

Doomnaut- Thor has never used the belt of double strength against the Hulk, but Thor did reach warrior madness in battle against the Hulk in (incredible Hulk-440).

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@doomnaut said:

Did Thor have his Belt of Strength in all his fights with Hulk?

No, Thor has never used his Belt of Strength in any of his fights with the Hulk.

leonkarlen123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk by far, even an calm Hulk is stronger than an angry Thor

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is stronger at the start but the Hulk probably would pass Thor in raw strength once angry enough. My problem is that even if a battle between the two were to become serious where both guys are angry and trying to kill each other, I personally find it hard to believe that Hulk would (as some claim) easily win a slugfest. Even though they neutered the Asgardian characters in the live-action films, Thor's godhood status still holds sway as well as being someone who's a few thousand years old and has been in thousands of battles from monsters like the Hulk to cosmic entities and everything in between. Sure, since Thor's return Quesada and Bendis have been hell-bent on devaluing the status of Marvel's gods (and basically all their superheroes) so they don't appear as "special" next to your everyday superhuman from Earth. I still take the prior four decades or so of history showcasing that guys like Hercules and Thor being gods (let alone Odin or Zeus)--or even Gilgamesh--was always portrayed as being clearly above pretty much every superhuman.

This isn't sour grapes or me hating on the Hulk because I respect the character, and like some say, I stick to Stan Lee's overall assessment when he said "I guess you would say Thor but I'm not sure." He clearly feels that leaving it ambiguous as to "Who's Stronger?" is more compelling, and I agree. It's why their rivalry has endured over the decades. As far as the two fighting, even if Hulk got to the point where his strength increased above Thor's, I still feel Thor's experience as a warrior would give him a distinct edge in a confrontation, but that's just my opinion. Hulk would have the clear advantage at the start, especially if he caught Thor by surprise. I don't think Thor would automatically try and put Hulk down at first which is where Hulk may take advantage if he were going for the kill.

Either way I respect both characters and their histories. I'm actually more intrigued at the two working side by side as teammates, since that is rarely shown. Who knows perhaps there could be a cool standalone issue down the road in Avengers where Thor and Hulk are the only ones left standing and they have to work together to win. It's the only unexplored region of their relationship which has endless possibilities. At the end of the day, there always is some Superman-clone type who comes along (Sentry, Gladiator, Hyperion, Blue Marvel) and flirts with "strongest hero evah!!" status, but it always comes back to Hulk and Thor.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Thor is stronger

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..in the early days of Thor and Hulk they were definitely even, in fact Thor may have had a slight edge, based on their very FIRST meeting, but things change in comics and Hulk is definitely the stronger physically...the Avengers movie made it very clear that Hulk is intended to be physically stronger, holding back or not, you saw Thor using two arms to hold off one of Hulks and that was at the start of the contest when Hulk hadn't had to time to get really angry. Thor counters with his wider range of powers incl mjolnir, hence why their contests are usually so even.

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: firstly thor used one arm to block hulk's arm. the second arm he used to hold it off. he didn't use two arms at all, not at the same time. hulk was pretty pissed at the time, look at his facial expression. don't see a smile there. let's not forget the other advantages hulk had. catching thor by surprise, height advantage, slamming his arm down is helped by gravity. avengers movie is not like comics, it's designed for the everyday regular audience hoping the next generation will agree hulk is stronger, before 2011 thor, the regular guy wouldn't have known thor is hero, let alone has high superhuman strength. power levels are toned down accordingly so every hero gets their fair share of showing off otherwise we'd simply ignore captain America, hawkeye etc. if you've seen thor's solo movies you'd know how strong he really is. 2008 incredible hulk is not 2012 avengers hulk strong, obvious power up. even Chris Hemsworth seems not to be as buff in the Avengers movie as in 2011 Thor.

@raynorj: that's your opinion mate.

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterkungfu Thor used 2 arms to block Hulks 1 arm and he used his entire body as leverage as well. Hulks facial expressions varied through out the entire movie seeing as he only said 2 words they used everything else to convey his personality. Thor was the one that actually caught Hulk by surprise, otherwise Thor was directly starring at Hulk there is no such thing as caught by surprise otherwise their entire fight is them catching each other by surprise if you go by that logic. LOL, gravity, what his arm weighed 100kg max which is nothing to the 2 of them so yea gravity but you forget the fact that Thor is using his entire body to hold off Huks one arm including his legs and back while Hulk isnt even leaning on his 1 arm. Where do you know that the movie is designed so that Hulk would be stronger for the "new generation" what are you sources of that, your ass? Ironman is the most popular guy in the movieverse yet even with 400% power up against Thor he was still losing, where is the "new generation" there? 2008 Hulk is as strong as 2012 Hulk he just doesn't have the same feat, in fact in terms of destruction 2008 Hulk is above 2012 one. As for Chris Hemsworth it's called working out.

No it's pretty much wide spread fact at this point.

@bezza I am spearing you the nonsense mate, seeing as this guys sole mission is to go around undermine Hulk in every way possible, you should see his post in the battle forums according to him WBH would lose to Namor. So i suggest you ignore him, let me have some fun i like dealing with trolls and biased haters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hulk is physically stronger. Thor is more powerful overall and versatile.

IAmTheLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: firstly thor used one arm to block hulk's arm. the second arm he used to hold it off. he didn't use two arms at all, not at the same time. hulk was pretty pissed at the time, look at his facial expression. don't see a smile there. let's not forget the other advantages hulk had. catching thor by surprise, height advantage, slamming his arm down is helped by gravity. avengers movie is not like comics, it's designed for the everyday regular audience hoping the next generation will agree hulk is stronger, before 2011 thor, the regular guy wouldn't have known thor is hero, let alone has high superhuman strength. power levels are toned down accordingly so every hero gets their fair share of showing off otherwise we'd simply ignore captain America, hawkeye etc. if you've seen thor's solo movies you'd know how strong he really is. 2008 incredible hulk is not 2012 avengers hulk strong, obvious power up. even Chris Hemsworth seems not to be as buff in the Avengers movie as in 2011 Thor.

@raynorj: that's your opinion mate.

You contradict yourself repeatedly. It sounds like you're arguing that Thor is stronger, but then you argue they wanted to make Hulk stronger so future generations believe he's more powerful..

Hulk has a clear strength advantage. There isn't even a question in The Avengers.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By MasterKungFu

@teh_pwnerer: true. Avengers movie hulk is stronger. he is as strong as the story demands him to be. same goes to thor

@raynorj: do you read the OP or not? besides if it makes you feel any better I already changed my answer to that question. how is hulk stronger than thor fact. explain if you will.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#182  Edited By Erik

Hulk.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Wolverine008

Hulk can't hang with Thor though!

No Caption Provided

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Bezza

@@masterkungfu:

@wolverine08

And I never forgot that Hulk got up immediately from that "clout" and spent the rest of their encounter smacking thor around the helicarrier-lol!!

Also, this..

No Caption Provided

..I ask you, where has Thor shown that he is "physically" superior to Hulk?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: Thor still reigned supreme :D

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By MasterKungFu

@bezza: sorry man, its non-canon

i could play by that game too. blood will be spilled

No Caption Provided

not so fair is it?

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterkungfu Of course you would change your answer no unbiased person would ever think that Namor is stronger than WBH, you only changed your answer because everyone was calling you out and your hate became to obvious.

Hulk: Let the Battle begin is canon material

http://www.newsarama.com/4883-hulk-drops-the-hammer-on-thor-writer-rebuts-fan-outrage.html

However the pic your showed is from an alternate future and it concerns OF Thor not a regular Thor, even the editor confirmed it himself.

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By RaynorJ
    Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Wolverine008
    MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raynorj: who said anything about anyone being stronger. do you read the OP of anything or what? if I was really biased, I wouldn't give namor any thought whatsoever. don't even much about namor so I could've simply ignored him. changed my answer when I gave deeper thought into why the thread would be created by the user, wouldn't be much of a gauntlet though if he didn't make it a few steps. no one called me out, I had my reasons for my answer. instead of going around and seeing who is favouring your favourite character you actually answer the question given to you.

and please "hate" is such as ugly word to say.

and the site you have shows this section ...

As such, this story will talk about story elements from this week's one-shot "Hulk: Let the Battle Begin." The story is a semi-continuity tale, meaning it has no direct consequence on current Hulk or Thor stories, but ye have been warned regardless.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Bezza

@masterkungfu said:

@raynorj: who said anything about anyone being stronger. do you read the OP of anything or what? .

As such, this story will talk about story elements from this week's one-shot "Hulk: Let the Battle Begin." The story is a semi-continuity tale, meaning it has no direct consequence on current Hulk or Thor stories, but ye have been warned regardless.

Firstly, in response to your call out of @raynorj? to quote John McEnroe "Are you serious!" The OP says, "who is physically stronger, Thor or Hulk". You answered "Thor". You were the one who said something about someone being stronger.

Basically I want your evidence that Thor is PHYSICALLY stronger than Hulk, because I don't think there is any. Thor's only recent KO v Hulk was due to a lightning bolt. In my book calling down lightning on someone doesn't show you are physically stronger....

..Here is one of my favourite Hulk v Thor moments, admittedly from the Ultimates,,,

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Bezza

..in fact I think the writer of the Hulk Annual 2000 encounter between Hulk and Thor summed it up nicely at the end of the story...

"In the contest between himself and the Hulk, there was no true victor. Though the Hulk may well be stronger Thor proved more powerful....." that's basically the way it is with hulk and Thor - Thor may have more powers, but Hulk is physically stronger, which basically was the question the OP posed.

No Caption Provided

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By MasterKungFu

@bezza: I was referring to another thread, not this one. sorry if you got misled.

You want evidence. here's a good starting point

No Caption Provided

any more for hulk?

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By RaynorJ

@masterkungfu Really now? And yet you are full of hate, how ironic. Show me one positive thing you said about the Hulk? You visit his threads all day even revive old and dead threads in the battle forums just so you can say Hulk loses so tell me when was the last time you said he won at anything?

Secondly it says it happens at an unspecified time and place meaning it's canon it just doesn't happen currently and is not affecting Hulks and Thors current stories. Just how Savage Hulk that comes out in June will happen at random time and places but is as canon as any current story of Hulk, so it's confirmed to be canon.

Thirdly that Thor feat has been deconstructed by others http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/discuss-and-debunk-a-feat-with-a-viner-721916/?page=8 it's not even planetary level strength. While show me Thor holding the weight of a Star on his back

No Caption Provided

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Bezza
    No Caption Provided

Hulk holding Black Hole open was pretty impressive too...

In fact there are lots more Hulk feats to mention of, where as Thor fans generally rely, always, on the good 'ol Asgard Serpent trick!!

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By MasterKungFu

@raynorj: your right. your absolutely right. I've never said anything positive about hulk. In fact I've NEVER said anything positive about any other character! why should hulk be any different? because he's your favourite? obviously (to a hulk fan) in your eyes, he who is not on hulk's supporting side must be a hater.

how do you fare any better than me? you spend a greater deal of your time on hulk forums/threads more than anyone. at least I visit other threads such as Star Wars threads etc. you stay on hulk forums so you feel safe and can say whatever negative stuff you like about other characters with no defiance. you say I lowball hulk when you do exactly the same to other characters.

so when did I ever say hulk won? http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/dr-doom-vs-hulk-1520963/ find my name and you'll find out.

you say thor's feat is not planetary. then what level? city level you reckon? here's the backstory behind it.

No Caption Provided

therefore, not only did thor had to overcome the serpent's size and weight he had to OVERCOME its enormous strength too.

you want thor to lift the weight of a star on his back. how about the weight of a neutron star from EVERYWHERE!

No Caption Provided
    MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By MasterKungFu

@bezza: impressive indeed.

not so sure if thor has ever encountered a black hole. overall hulk does have more strength feats (after all strength is his main power). I don't expect thor to have more strength feats than hulk when his main power lies in energy projection.

BTW its Midgard Serpent not Asgard Serpent.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@masterkungfu:

So you agree that Hulk is STRONGER (not more powerful), as per the OP thread.

My mistake re serpent, yes Midgard Serpent, I should know that!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.