Who's Physically Stronger Hulk or Thor?

#101 Posted by Pyrogram (36709 posts) - - Show Bio
#102 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is not only more powerfull than Hulk, he is also stronger. Only versions of Hulk that can match Thor's strength is WB Hulk and Mindless/Bannerless Hulk.

Thor is always holding back on Earth. Hulk never fought with someone who can one-shot planet buster - Thor did (with PG Drax - two times).

And what is more important, they already were trying to match their strength, Hulk could growing in power, but he still couldn't outmuscle Thor:

#103 Posted by GreenScar1990 (559 posts) - - Show Bio

Um... you do know that Professor Hulk did the same to a Power Gem wielding Drax more than twice, right?

Bottom line is this.

Hulk is physically more powerful than Thor and overall the two are evenly matched in power. It's just that the two display their immense power in different ways.

#104 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

physically hulk Beats thor in every aspect, it's not even a contest anymore.

#105 Posted by czarny_samael666 (17174 posts) - - Show Bio

Physically Thor was, is and possbily will above Hulk for years.
Of course until Hulk will take on people who can one-shot planet busters who really wants to put him down and when he will walk on core of sun.

Thor has better feats and better fights. But Hulk fans will always live in their dreams.

#106 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

Well if it was most powerful I could understand the people arguing Thor as him and Hulk are pretty even in that sense.

But physical strength has to go to Hulk.

#107 Edited by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol Thor fans at it again... Feats of physical strength not who walked on the Sun and crap. Do you guys need a reading tool aid? I mean on top of being unable to interpret simple things you guys can't go 2 posts without contradicting yourselves. Like showing pics of Hulk and Thor being physically equal than going in the next post and saying Thor has always and always will be stronger... I think i will go find you a reading tool, hold on.

#108 Posted by w0nd (3293 posts) - - Show Bio

@raynorj said:

Lol Thor fans at it again... Feats of physical strength not who walked on the Sun and crap. Do you guys need a reading tool aid? I mean on top of being unable to interpret simple things you guys can't go 2 posts without contradicting yourselves. Like showing pics of Hulk and Thor being physically equal than going in the next post and saying Thor has always and always will be stronger... I think i will go find you a reading tool, hold on.

Uhh hulk fans are doing the same thing lol. The problem stems from both sides.

#109 Posted by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd:

That's true. But what can you do except ridicule those people.

#110 Edited by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

Physically: Hulk >>>> Thor

Hulk would eat Thor for lunch IF Thor didn't have Mjolnir, with Mjolnir they're dead even and Thor might even have a slight edge.

#111 Edited by JJ62 (1299 posts) - - Show Bio

Btw, the Thor "always holding back" bs wasn't until recently, back since the 60's Thor and Hulk always went full bore at each other, no holding back from either. They usually stalemated and here's why, Hulk had the great edge in physicality while Thor had the edge because of his other abilities and they even out pretty 100% equal. No matter what all the whiny Thor or Hulk fanboys might think, neither one is clearly more powerful than the other. That's the way it will be for a long time, so you might as well get used to it.

#112 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Still hulk

#113 Posted by Zardu (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk is the strongest there is. That means something :-)

#114 Posted by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@greenscar1990: @lvenger: @pyrogram: @theacidskull:

in a lifting contest and pure physical strength Thor is stronger than hulk ...the problem SOME PEOPLE dont understand is Hulk simply cant be put down in a physical brawl.... the Hulks healing fator in the end is greater than Thors durability ..as durable as Thor is he gets hit by the hulk it wears him down..while he hits the Hulk and the hulk heals and gets angrier...

but as far as Thors strength lifting the midgardserpent?worldengine/movingearth out of orbit in arm wrestling THEY are ALL greater than anyyyyyyttthing the hulk has done....

BUT IN A PHYSICAL TUSSLE HULKWINS ..AS TO WHO IS STRONGER THAT GOES TO THE GUY WHO MOVES PLANETARY OBJECTS.

JUST MY OPINION THO

#115 Edited by dum529001 (1624 posts) - - Show Bio

@sommyt:

First of all let me ask...

Which is greater?

A. the energy required to pull earth out its orbit of the sun

OR

B. the energy required to reverse the planet's orbit, therefore pushing back and overpowering the electromagnetic force the sun puts on the earth?

The answer is B.

If you would actually read it, this is exactly what the Hulk is shown doing in this comic scan:

Overpowering a field of energy endowed with sufficient power to change the orbit of a planet(Tales to Astonish #89)

Hulk has the power to move a planet at baseline.

The fact that the field strength needed to be increased is proof that Hulk was contesting that kind of power.

Even so, Hulk showed power to overcome a planet's kinetic energy, which is better than overcoming the force it has while it's just sitting there in its static state.

It takes 632 quadrillion 850 trillion megatons(6.3285*10^17) just to stop the earth's orbit. Hulk overpowered energy that could not only stop a planet's orbit but reverse it as well, which means Hulk was able to put out even more power than that.

At a second meeting years later, The Stranger recognize that Hulk was even stronger than before because once again, Hulk shrugs off the energy that the Stranger uses in an attempt to render him motionless in Marvel Two-In-One annual #2:

Here's Hulk doing a feat of great cosmic proportions once again:

Applying force to the space-time structure itself to prevent the Defenders from being absorbed into a fissure (Defenders #3)(with the size of the singularity estimated in about seven feets according to the Schwarzschild radius, then it's mass/gravitational attraction, by the equivalence principle, is thus equivalent to roughly two hundreds Earths),

Hulk matches power and withstands attacks from Galaxy Master, a foe with planet-splitting power, not once but twice! in incredible Hulk #112and incredible Hulk #270:

Savage Hulk vs Galaxy Master, from Incredible Hulk #112:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106977-4509850308-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106987-7972464345-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106991-0485539086-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106992-4296428300-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106993-2140588497-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106994-6344330095-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106996-7383400285-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3106997-1192968099-Hulkv.jpg

Savage Hulk vs Galaxy Master rematch, from Incredible Hulk #270:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3107026-5743306301-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3107028-0115912921-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3107030-2244881414-Hulkv.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/136540/3107031-0906786844-Hulkv.jpg

Hulk is just as strong as Thor.

#116 Posted by Doomnaut (1993 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats Thor's best lifting feat?

#117 Edited by Takao0815 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

What has lifted Thor times was this snake.

approximately 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons

Thor's strongest shock (without Power UP)

at least 428 times 10 ^ 18 joules

210 X 10 ^ 15 joules = explosive power of the most powerful hydrogen bomb (= 50 Mt TNT)

#118 Posted by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is physically stronger ..thats y his feats are far above the hulks ...from destroying planets to recently easily holding one together ...to the midgard serpent.....however I think in a physical slugfeat hulk would outlast Thor because HE SIMPLY CAN NOT BE PUT DOWN PHYSICALLY

#119 Edited by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomnaut: in his last fight with gorr he held a planet together ...and they where destroying planets with their fight ...but best lift8ng feat would have to still be the midgard serpent

#120 Posted by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

@sommyt:

What do you mean his feats are far above the hulks? Hulk also destroyed planets, he also held a planet together. And he resisted forces powerful enough to push planets and change their orbits.

#121 Edited by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@raynorj said:

@sommyt:

What do you mean his feats are far above the hulks? Hulk also destroyed planets, he also held a planet together. And he resisted forces powerful enough to push planets and change their orbits.

that was a seriously empored hulk from the gamma energy that was emmited from sakkar... Thor pushed the world engine .

his swings where destroying planets...and moved earth out of orbit just by arm wrestling another god. and note when he held the planet together he did it cassually he did not seem to be struggling at all... the the infamous midgard serpent .....another thats forgotten the odinsword incalculable weight that

Odin-the god of wisdom - could not calculate ,..... then he throws it through arishem a freaking celestial their armor is arguably harder than primary adamantium...sorry these are just greater than ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING THE HULK HAS DONE PHYICALLY

but in a brawl the hulk would win...Because he has a powerful healing factor and CANNOT SIMPLY BE PUT DOWN IN A BRAWL..he will keep getting stronger angrier and healing faster

#122 Edited by GraniteSoldier (7541 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk is physically stronger than Thor. In an all out fight, all powers used, Thor will win. Why? Far more versatile. But if Thor tries to toe-to-toe with Hulk, he finds out the hard way Hulk outclasses him in strength and durability.

#123 Edited by Takao0815 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

428 X 10 ^18 Joule = Planet killer blow

Thor 8,56 X 10 ^ 21 Joule (Without throwing snakes.)

Midgard-snake throw About 1 X 10 ^36 Joule

(probable 5,4X10^45 Joul)

KO Martian Manhunter 8X10^20 Joul

A bar of chocolate in a 1 meter lift secunde = 1 joule

World Record = about 379 joules

Fang of the projectile energy of 7.62 × 51 mm NATO cartridge 3.5 X 10 ^ 3 joules

First (gray) Hulk = about 1.3 x 10 ^ 5 Joul

Rulk = (no charge) About 8.8 X 10 ^ 5 Joul

(What is the speed be? Has not yet been considered. When he is as fast as a man 100 = 8.8 x 10 ^ 9 joules)

Abomination (stronger than Mr. Fix) a blow = 1 x 10 ^ 9 joules

Dropping explosion energy = the most powerful conventional bomb FOAB 1.84 X 10 ^ 11 joules

1 kT (kilotons of TNT) == 1.162 GWh 4.184 X 10 ^ 12 joules

Bomb by 1945 = 6.276 x 10 ^ 13 joules

Green Scar before his wife's death = 17.8 X 10 ^ 16 joules

Zar bomb = over 2.1 X 10 ^ 17 joules

Worldbreaker attack on Armaggedon About = 1X10 ^ 37 joule

Mindless Worldbreaker attack on She Rulk = probably about 1.23 X 10 ^ 60 joule

#124 Edited by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

@sommyt:

No, that was a depowered Hulk who was yet to fully recover from when he arrived to Sakkar. Thor couldn't push Hulk though, nor could he and the Thing together open a bunker door that Hulk managed to do on his own. Hulk destroyed a planet without even touching it just from the Gamma power he released, he collapsed an entire dimension with a thunderclap.

And Hulk decimated Onslaughts armor(celestial level) completely when everyone else including Thor failed.

Hulk can be put down in a brawl and has been put down in a brawl. If Thor was so much superior than Hulk as you make him out to be than Thor would easily win in a brawl but he is not. Physically Thor can not reach the same strength level the Hulk can, at least not on his own and without outside help.

#125 Posted by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@raynorj: he was weak not depowered. He had absorbed so much gamma rays..now vive me an example wher r hulk was put down I. A physical fight.and dont use the one of zeus as that was clearly not entirely physical

#126 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

like right now? Hulk

#127 Edited by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

@sommyt:

Yes he was depowered, even SS commented on when he said he couldn't use his power cosmic because of the crash, if that is not being depowered what is? Against Abomination, Thing, Namor, Maestro, Drax, Juggy just to name a few have all put Hulk down in a brawl.

#128 Posted by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@raynorj: well ur wrong they didn't ko or anything it can't be done to the hulk period.and all those guys u name thor is stronger than them. only juggy matches his strength

#129 Edited by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

@sommyt:

Yes they did KO him, Abomination and Maestro actually even killed him. Yes Thor is stronger than them this has nothing to do with the question you asked me.

#130 Posted by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio
#132 Posted by Doomnaut (1993 posts) - - Show Bio
#133 Posted by dannyjonesy (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@sommyt:

get off thor bud...hulk is better....here this will help change your mind...and btw yes this is cannon lol

#134 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

@dannyjonesy said:

@sommyt:

get off thor bud...hulk is better....here this will help change your mind...and btw yes this is cannon lol

This doesn't prove that Hulk is stronger than Thor. Even if this IS canon these are much older versions of both characters.

#135 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro: well hulk did this recently too. In avengers assmble 4 or something.

i personally think that hulk has become stronger than thor, pure brute power that is. doesn't mean he'll win in a fight 100% but just saying.

#136 Posted by Doomnaut (1993 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol. Bonk!

#137 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@vance_astro: well hulk did this recently too. In avengers assmble 4 or something.

i personally think that hulk has become stronger than thor, pure brute power that is. doesn't mean he'll win in a fight 100% but just saying.

It's not really much of a display of strength though. In neither instance does he actually overpower Thor. You can see on his face that he's kind of surprised. I don't even think he's resisting. If the Hulk hits any class 100 with a clean shot like that, he's probably going to knock them out. Hulk may actually be currently stronger than Thor but I don't think those instances are proof of that.

#138 Posted by dannyjonesy (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@dannyjonesy said:

@sommyt:

This doesn't prove that Hulk is stronger than Thor. Even if this IS canon these are much older versions of both characters.

Actually this issue is only from 2010....pretty sure at base form Savage Hulk and Current Thor are around the same now as they were then. Sure Hulk can go WorldBreaker if he gets mad enough and Thor has received the odin force in the past but as of now they are around the same as 2010.

@theacidskull said:

It's not really much of a display of strength though. In neither instance does he actually overpower Thor. You can see on his face that he's kind of surprised. I don't even think he's resisting. If the Hulk hits any class 100 with a clean shot like that, he's probably going to knock them out. Hulk may actually be currently stronger than Thor but I don't think those instances are proof of that.

Actually Thor was swinging the hammer with a finishing blow at Hulk and Hulk caught his hand and forced Thor to knock himself out with the hammer. If Thor is swinging the hammer with a FINISHING BLOW and Hulk CATCHES THOR'S HAND AND FORCES HIS HAMMER BACK to knock himself out that is pretty much the definition of overpowering. If you do not believe me I will post the interview from the writer of the comic who states this is what goes on. I'm sure Thor was surprised but Hulk still caught Thor's hand during a finishing blow and forced it back. That to me defines overpowering.

#139 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually this issue is only from 2010....pretty sure at base form Savage Hulk and Current Thor are around the same now as they were then. Sure Hulk can go WorldBreaker if he gets mad enough and Thor has received the odin force in the past but as of now they are around the same as 2010.

When the issue came out doesn't matter. I believe it's telling an old story. You can tell that's not current Thor because of his costume. That's not how current Thor looks.

#140 Posted by Manchine (4169 posts) - - Show Bio

At base Thor but other wise Hulk can reach a strength level over Thor .

#141 Posted by dannyjonesy (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@dannyjonesy said:

When the issue came out doesn't matter. I believe it's telling an old story. You can tell that's not current Thor because of his costume. That's not how current Thor looks.

This can not be that old of a story and here's why...Before Thor shows up to confront Hulk about the damage done to Mt. Rushmore, Hulk is fighting and beating on The Wrecking Crew. The reason this story is not too old is because one of The Wrecking Crew's members references Harry Potter while making a threat. As Harry Potter is a current pop culture icon I can only assume the writer is writing this as a pretty current story. As for Thor's costume I can only assume it is a mistake on the artist's part or maybe just a preference of how he wants Thor's costume to look.

#142 Edited by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

@dannyjonesy said:

This can not be that old of a story and here's why...Before Thor shows up to confront Hulk about the damage done to Mt. Rushmore, Hulk is fighting and beating on The Wrecking Crew. The reason this story is not too old is because one of The Wrecking Crew's members references Harry Potter while making a threat. As Harry Potter is a current pop culture icon I can only assume the writer is writing this as a pretty current story. As for Thor's costume I can only assume it is a mistake on the artist's part or maybe just a preference of how he wants Thor's costume to look.

I was 11 when Harry Potter came out. I'm 27 now, so the fact that Harry Potter was mentioned doesn't suggest that the story is current. All of this book appears to be Bruce Banner remembering past experiences. At the end he's remembering being attacked by Ross in the U.S. Army which would have obviously have been an old story because Ross was Red Hulk in 2010. Continuity wise this wouldn't have fit with what was happening in Hulk at that time. In fact Bruce Banner couldn't even become the Hulk at that point because Red Hulk had absorbed his Gamma Radiation. Banner was using tech at this point.

#143 Edited by dannyjonesy (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro said:

@dannyjonesy said:

I was 11 when Harry Potter came out. I'm 27 now, so the fact that Harry Potter was mentioned doesn't suggest that the story is current. All of this book appears to be Bruce Banner remembering past experiences. At the end he's remembering being attacked by Ross in the U.S. Army which would have obviously have been an old story because Ross was Red Hulk in 2010. Continuity wise this wouldn't have fit with what was happening in Hulk at that time. In fact Bruce Banner couldn't even become the Hulk at that point because Red Hulk had absorbed his Gamma Radiation. Banner was using tech at this point.

Yeah man I understand this couldn't have happened in 2010 but what I'm saying is this issue is written as a pretty current event (as in the year 2000 give or take a year) not from the silver age or anything like that. The reader knows this for a fact thanks to the Harry Potter reference. At baseline, Savage Hulk and regular Thor are pretty much the same strength levels then ( the year 2000 give or take a year) as they are now. So in my opinion, this issue is relevant in proving the fact that Hulk is stronger then Thor as it is happened in the year 2000 at the earliest and that seems current enough to be submitted as evidence. I think most would agree that it's current enough. We can never know anything for sure except that it is around the year 2000. Also Ross didn't turn into Red Hulk until around 2008 so it fits perfectly anyway.

#144 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

@dannyjonesy said:

Yeah man I understand this couldn't have happened in 2010 but what I'm saying is this issue is written as a pretty current event (as in the year 2000 give or take a year) not from the silver age or anything like that. The reader knows this for a fact thanks to the Harry Potter reference. At baseline, Savage Hulk and regular Thor are pretty much the same strength levels then ( the year 2000 give or take a year) as they are now. So in my opinion, this issue is relevant in proving the fact that Hulk is stronger then Thor as it is happened in the year 2000 at the earliest and that seems current enough to be submitted as evidence. I think most would agree that it's current enough. We can never know anything for sure except that it is around the year 2000. Also Ross didn't turn into Red Hulk until around 2008 so it fits perfectly anyway.

Even if we assume that this happened in 2000, which it's possible it didn't even with a Harry Potter reference because by the year 2000, Harry Potter had already existed for 3 years and the film was being worked on. It's also possible the writer didn't fact check because he's writing a book about the past in the present and it's not like Marvel's writers are that thorough to begin with. This again, still doesn't prove that Hulk is stronger than Thor. At no point does he overpower Thor. He SHOULD be absolutely capable of CATCHING an attack from Thor, what would have actually proved something would be if Thor was incapable of pulling away, which in this instance he didn't even try. He was surprised that Hulk caught the attack in the first place, which either suggests bad writing or an EARLY meeting between the characters. Thor and Hulk know each other. Thor is well aware of what Hulk can do, or at least he would have been by 2000.

#145 Posted by dannyjonesy (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@dannyjonesy said:

Even if we assume that this happened in 2000, which it's possible it didn't even with a Harry Potter reference because by the year 2000, Harry Potter had already existed for 3 years and the film was being worked on. It's also possible the writer didn't fact check because he's writing a book about the past in the present and it's not like Marvel's writers are that thorough to begin with. This again, still doesn't prove that Hulk is stronger than Thor. At no point does he overpower Thor. He SHOULD be absolutely capable of CATCHING an attack from Thor, what would have actually proved something would be if Thor was incapable of pulling away, which in this instance he didn't even try. He was surprised that Hulk caught the attack in the first place, which either suggests bad writing or an EARLY meeting between the characters. Thor and Hulk know each other. Thor is well aware of what Hulk can do, or at least he would have been by 2000.

Okay we can agree to disagree on when this occurred as I suppose there is no way to ever prove who is right (Even though I think the Harry Potter reference points to a more current meeting) but your second point is completely invalid because if this ( Hulk catching Thor's hand and forcing Thor to knock himself out) could only happen "if it was an early meeting" then why does Hulk pull almost this exact same move in Avengers Assemble and succeed? Thor would never let that happen again I would assume, unless it wasn't in his power to stop the attack....Seems pretty unfair to say it doesn't give Hulk a strength edge over Thor at all when he's tried the attack twice on different occasions and knocked out Thor BOTH times. But whatever that's just me....we all got our own opinions

#146 Edited by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

@dannyjonesy said:

Okay we can agree to disagree on when this occurred as I suppose there is no way to ever prove who is right (Even though I think the Harry Potter reference points to a more current meeting) but your second point is completely invalid because if this ( Hulk catching Thor's hand and forcing Thor to knock himself out) could only happen "if it was an early meeting" then why does Hulk pull almost this exact same move in Avengers Assemble and succeed? Thor would never let that happen again I would assume, unless it wasn't in his power to stop the attack....Seems pretty unfair to say it doesn't give Hulk a strength edge over Thor at all when he's tried the attack twice on different occasions and knocked out Thor BOTH times. But whatever that's just me....we all got our own opinions

He's not "forcing Thor" to do anything. Once he catches Thor's hand, Thor doesn't resist. The writer states himself that Thor isn't ready for that attack. As you will see below.

http://www.newsarama.com/4883-hulk-drops-the-hammer-on-thor-writer-rebuts-fan-outrage.html

Question #2: Is Thor ready to defend himself from this attack?

No! It has NEVER happened to him before. He has never even considered that it could! And at the time it happens he has the UPPER HAND in the fight! Hulk is down and bleeding and he goes to finish him off and Hulk CATCHES HIS HAND! He is stunned for a second and Hulk takes advantage of that and bashes him in the face a few times. And then RUNS AWAY! If I had more than a one shot, the fight would have went on longer and Thor could have come back, but Hulk ran away.

The reason that Hulk was able to pull this off twice is because first of all it's a plot device. Both writers needed Thor quickly out of the picture, any good writer knows that Hulk isn't capable of EASILY beating Thor and most of their encounters prove that..so they made a way for Hulk to easily take Thor out without any resistance. The reason it worked in Avengers Assemble is because Thor was never fighting Hulk to begin with, he didn't expect Hulk to grab his hand because they were on the same side, If you read the issue can can clearly see on his face he doesn't know what's going on and then he gets dropped. Hulk doesn't have the strength egde here because aside from catching the attack (which ANY class 100 could have done) he doesn't do anything that suggests he's stronger.

#147 Edited by dannyjonesy (17 posts) - - Show Bio
@vance_astro said:

@dannyjonesy said:

He's not "forcing Thor" to do anything. Once he catches Thor's hand, Thor doesn't resist. The writer states himself that Thor isn't ready for that attack. As you will see below.

http://www.newsarama.com/4883-hulk-drops-the-hammer-on-thor-writer-rebuts-fan-outrage.html

Question #2: Is Thor ready to defend himself from this attack?

No! It has NEVER happened to him before. He has never even considered that it could! And at the time it happens he has the UPPER HAND in the fight! Hulk is down and bleeding and he goes to finish him off and Hulk CATCHES HIS HAND! He is stunned for a second and Hulk takes advantage of that and bashes him in the face a few times. And then RUNS AWAY! If I had more than a one shot, the fight would have went on longer and Thor could have come back, but Hulk ran away.

The reason that Hulk was able to pull this off twice is because first of all it's a plot device. Both writers needed Thor quickly out of the picture, any good writer knows that Hulk isn't capable of EASILY beating Thor and most of their encounters prove that..so they made a way for Hulk to easily take Thor out without any resistance. The reason it worked in Avengers Assemble is because Thor was never fighting Hulk to begin with, he didn't expect Hulk to grab his hand because they were on the same side, If you read the issue can can clearly see on his face he doesn't know what's going on and then he gets dropped. Hulk doesn't have the strength egde here because aside from catching the attack (which ANY class 100 could have done) he doesn't do anything that suggests he's stronger.

Maybe you should read the whole interview from the link you posted as I have went over it a couple times a while ago....here's something you must have failed to read the writer stated in the interview..

Question #1: Who is stronger?

Normally, I would say that the two are fairly evenly matched. BUT as EVERYONE know, the ANGRIER Hulk gets, the STRONGER Hulk gets, which is why Hulk can ultimately beat anyone, because unless you prevent him from getting upset or frustrated, he's just gonna keep getting angry until he over powers you. AND in this instance the Hulk has just finished fighting the Wrecking Crew, so he's already pretty revved up and tired of being hit by magic sticks! (He got hit by the Wreckers' Crowbar a whole bunch and THOR gives him a VERY REASONABLE beat down before this moment.)

So, who is stronger? Hulk! He is mad as Hell and not going to take being hit by magic sticks anymore!

Also in this same interview, the writer states...

Nrama: If you intended this to be sheer strength, it seems that would either cheapen Mjolnir or make Hulk's strength at a near-cosmic level... What would you say to fans that argue that?

Snider: You know, if Hulk gets angry enough he COULD have cosmic level strength, but I think he would have to inadvertently kill someone he loves or something for that to happen. Again, this isn't about being worthy or strong enough to lift Mjolnir, its just about being stronger than THOR and at that moment the HULK was.

: You know, if Hulk gets angry enough he COULD have cosmic level strength, but I think he would have to inadvertently kill someone he loves or something for that to happen. Again, this isn't about being worthy or strong enough to lift Mjolnir, its just about being stronger than THOR and at that moment the HULK was.

So clearly if the writer of the story said that Hulk was stronger then Thor and that's why he was able to make Thor knock himself out with the hammer then this is evidence of Hulk overpowering Thor on a purely physical level. If you really think this isn't a good example of Hulk being stronger then Thor when I've just shown you the writer himself stating this happens because Hulk is stronger then Thor, well I don't know how else to prove it to you...lol

#148 Edited by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

@dannyjonesy said:

Maybe you should read the whole interview from the link you posted as I have went over it a couple times a while ago....here's something you must have failed to read the writer stated in the interview..

So clearly if the writer of the story said that Hulk was stronger then Thor and that's why he was able to make Thor knock himself out with the hammer then this is evidence of Hulk overpowering Thor on a purely physical level. If you really think this isn't a good example of Hulk being stronger then Thor when I've just shown you the writer himself stating this happens because Hulk is stronger then Thor, well I don't know how else to prove it to you...lol

I didn't fail to read anything. The part of the interview that you posted wasn't relevant to the point I was making or trying to prove. I think you're taking what was stated out of context. The part I posted states that Hulk took advantage of Thor being "stunned". So why are you arguing that the writer's intention was to SHOW that Hulk was stronger than Thor when he actually stated the opposite in the same interview? He doesn't say Hulk OVERPOWERED Thor at any point.

This part :

You know, if Hulk gets angry enough he COULD have cosmic level strength, but I think he would have to inadvertently kill someone he loves or something for that to happen. Again, this isn't about being worthy or strong enough to lift Mjolnir, its just about being stronger than THOR and at that moment the HULK was.

and even the part where he answers the question of "who's stronger" doesn't have anything to do with WHY Hulk was able to KO Thor, because he ALREADY explained why in an answer to a different question, which I posted. The bottom line is this issue doesn't PROVE that Hulk is stronger than Thor and nowhere in the book is that shown. Snider may BELIEVE that Hulk is stronger than Thor but he doesn't write EVERYTHING about these two characters and as you should know from how differently certain characters are written between writers, everything they've done as far as strength is concerned is to be considered..NOT just a single instance. Just like people who READ comics, people who WRITE them have varying opinions on characters and their abilities as well.

#149 Edited by dannyjonesy (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro said:

@dannyjonesy said:

I didn't fail to read anything. The part of the interview that you posted wasn't relevant to the point I was making or trying to prove. I think you're taking what was stated out of context. The part I posted states that Hulk took advantage of Thor being "stunned". So why are you arguing that the writer's intention was to SHOW that Hulk was stronger than Thor when he actually stated the opposite in the same interview? He doesn't say Hulk OVERPOWERED Thor at any point.

This part :

You know, if Hulk gets angry enough he COULD have cosmic level strength, but I think he would have to inadvertently kill someone he loves or something for that to happen. Again, this isn't about being worthy or strong enough to lift Mjolnir, its just about being stronger than THOR and at that moment the HULK was.

and even the part where he answers the question of "who's stronger" doesn't have anything to do with WHY Hulk was able to KO Thor, because he ALREADY explained why in an answer to a different question, which I posted. The bottom line is this issue doesn't PROVE that Hulk is stronger than Thor and nowhere in the book is that shown. Snider may BELIEVE that Hulk is stronger than Thor but he doesn't write EVERYTHING about these two characters and as you should know from how differently certain characters are written between writers, everything they've done as far as strength is concerned is to be considered..NOT just a single instance. Just like people who READ comics, people who WRITE them have varying opinions on characters and their abilities as well.

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying because the writer thinks Hulk is stronger then Thor that this is evidence of Hulk being stronger. I'm also not saying this issue is proof that Hulk is stronger then Thor. I'm simply stating the fact I think this is some evidence that points toward Hulk being stronger. Also the whole interview is about how Hulk was able to knock Thor out with his hammer not just one question. So, yes he says that Thor's surprise has a part in why Hulk is successful BUT he also states that Hulk was able to make Thor knock himself out because he was stronger then Thor at that moment.

.... Again, this isn't about being worthy or strong enough to lift Mjolnir, its just about being stronger than THOR and at that moment the HULK was.

When the writer says "this isn't about being worthy or strong enough.....it's just about being stronger than Thor", "this" and "it" are describing the act of Hulk making Thor knock himself out. From the beginning of my posts I always said Thor was surprised when Hulk did this but I do think that Hulk's strength level at the time played just as much of a factor and I think that the writer is saying it played a factor too with that statement. Again, I'm not stating this issue alone definitely proves that Hulk is stronger than Thor but I do think it is valid as a piece of evidence that Hulk is stronger then Thor. Obviously you should take into account all of the encounters between Hulk and Thor but I do think this is valid enough to give Hulk a strength edge in this issue.

#150 Edited by youmessinwithme (1187 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor was intended to be stronger in by there creator, and was in classic comics. with who is writing comics at the moment Hulk is physically stronger. although Thor has actually lifted more weight/ has the better strength feats when not being compared with the Hulk.

they are both only as strong as the writter chooses to make them, so it varies. so at the moment it's Hulk. in the 70's it was Thor.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.