Who's Physically Stronger Hulk or Thor?

#1 Posted by Doomnaut (1994 posts) - - Show Bio

Who's Physically Stronger Hulk or Thor?

#2 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio

hulk, no denying that. Physically hulk is tougher.

#3 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

As strong as Thor is, Hulk is his physical superior.

#4 Edited by Verotikryptonite (323 posts) - - Show Bio

#5 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11924 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk and that's just that

#6 Edited by GreenScar1990 (617 posts) - - Show Bio

In every single way, Hulk is Thor's physical superior.

Nuff said.

#7 Edited by Saren (26021 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk.

Moderator Online
#8 Posted by HellionVulcan (3867 posts) - - Show Bio

At base Thor but other wise Hulk can reach a strength level over Thor .

#9 Posted by Saren (26021 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk's base is stronger.

Moderator Online
#10 Posted by ripcurl (535 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting how much a particular match-up effects who wins.

Thor's been consistently shown as competitive with the Silver Surfer (sometimes losing and sometimes winning) but is always shown to be physically weaker than the Hulk. Meanwhile, the few times the Surfer has fought the Hulk he's depicted as vastly superior. Even during Planet Hulk, where the Surfer was cut off from the power cosmic, it took everything the Hulk had (plus the help of the warbound) to beat him.

#11 Edited by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

Physically, Hulk outmatches Thor in pure strength. In terms of overall power though, Thor cleans his clock with Mjolnir's abilities. But in a physical slug fest, Hulk would eventually prove his superior.

#12 Posted by SC (13299 posts) - - Show Bio

Fictional characters you know. Its like asking who is sexier. Some writers like blondes, others like big boobs more. Until Hulk and Thor are owned by one person who never changes their mind and that person says who is the strongest? Your going to get Greg Pak and Jonathan Hickman who think Hulk is stronger, your going to get guys like Stan Lee and Kevin Grevioux who think Thor is stronger. Your going to get hundreds and hundreds of internet posters disagreeing your going to get people who confuse fighting with strength, and applied strength with actual strength, who confuse a knock down with a win with strength, feats with strength, planet sized snakes with planets, force with strength, fictional facts with creative inconsistency.

#13 Edited by Teerack (7366 posts) - - Show Bio

Physically Hulk for sure. I think the more and more Hulk and Thor class it's pretty clear Hulk is just fighting the Hammer because it's what puts Thor on Hulk's level.

#14 Edited by GreenScar1990 (617 posts) - - Show Bio

@ripcurl: Actually, Surfer wasn't cut off from the power cosmic or reduced in terms of durability. Remember that the disk controlled him, preventing him from using the power cosmic to escape yet allowing him to wield it through his spiked mace. However, both were weakened, but Hulk to a greater degree than Surfer who arrived on Sakaar long before Hulk did.

It should also be mentioned that Surfer never, ever actually physically overcame the Hulk in battle, usually resorting to draining the gamma energy from him, but its been shown recently that that tactic doesn't work on more powerful incarnations of the Hulk. It should also be taken into the fact that, before Planet Hulk, Surfer has only fought the Savage Hulk incarnation and the post-Onslaught conflict Hulk who was severely weakened and dying.

#15 Edited by GreenScar1990 (617 posts) - - Show Bio

My personal opinion of Hulk and Thor, in terms of overall power, they're evenly matched. They balance each other out perfectly, which is why all of their fights mostly end in stalemate, so it's safe to say that neither is superior to the other. Thor has more abilities with his powerset, Hulk has less but no real limit to his powerset. That about covers it.

I think it applies to Hulk, Thor, Silver Surfer and any other major heavy-hitting powerhouse.

#16 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

@greenscar1990: Honestly though, Thor doesn't use his winds of a thousand worlds or God Blast technique on foes like the Hulk. Just on cosmic entities and skyfathers. With Mjolnir, Thor should be able to lay waste to the Hulk with ease and yet he sticks to brawling with Hulk. Given Thor's showings against far more powerful beings than Hulk he should be able to outmatch Hulk effortlessly. Hulk's just a brick whereas Mjolnir gives Thor a whole lot of versatility.

#17 Edited by GreenScar1990 (617 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Yeah? I call BS on that. If Hulk went up against those powerful foes like Celestials, Skyfathers, Cosmic Beings, etc., who is to say he wouldn't have come out on top or do just as good as Thor, with or without a mighty weapon like Mjolnir to aid him?

And about Thor's God Blast, some forget that Thor used it when at a distance and when his foes were otherwise engaged. Examples- Galactus was malnurished and was battling Ego, whom Thor was one when delivering the God Blast. And likewise, Surtur and Ymir were battling each other, thus allowing Thor to unleash the God Blast. I doubt Hulk is going to blindly standstill and let Thor assault him with a God Blast or the winds of a thousand worlds, but who says Hulk can't withstand those attacks? Judging from Hulk's feats and abilities/powerset, I don't see where he can't.

But I'm not gonna start an arguement with you either. When it comes down to it, Thor & Mjolnir and their powerset to the fullest versus Hulk and his powerset to the fullest, they're evenly matched. It's just as simple as that. I know Hulk can take whatever Thor and Mjolnir can unleash, just like I know Thor can take what Hulk dishes out.

But this thread is about physical power/durability/endurance. And when it comes down to that, Hulk is superior to even a god as mighty as Thor.

Nuff said.

#18 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

@greenscar1990: Please tell me you're not blinded by your preference to see that in all honesty, if Thor were to fight against Hulk as he does against cosmics or other gods that he would decimate the Hulk? If a being like Glory can feel pain from Thor's wind of a thousand world attack, what's to say Hulk won't either? Hell Thor's clocked Hulk out with a bolt of lightning even though Hulk's resisted his lightning on other occasions. Thor tends to restrict himself when fighting Hulk. They're nowhere near matched in overall power. Strength goes to Hulk but overall power is Thor easy. It's up to you to prove why he can't fend off attacks that have laid low cosmic entities and gods and I know Hulk's feats pretty well to say safely that he wouldn't be able to withstand it.

#19 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@greenscar1990: Please tell me you're not blinded by your preference to see that in all honesty, if Thor were to fight against Hulk as he does against cosmics or other gods that he would decimate the Hulk? If a being like Glory can feel pain from Thor's wind of a thousand world attack, what's to say Hulk won't either? Hell Thor's clocked Hulk out with a bolt of lightning even though Hulk's resisted his lightning on other occasions. Thor tends to restrict himself when fighting Hulk. They're nowhere near matched in overall power. Strength goes to Hulk but overall power is Thor easy. It's up to you to prove why he can't fend off attacks that have laid low cosmic entities and gods and I know Hulk's feats pretty well to say safely that he wouldn't be able to withstand it.

that ONLY occurred once man, and it was a Loooooong time ago. hulk has fought much more powerful beings than thor such as galaxy master and etc, who failed to put down the savage hulk, who in fact was weaker back then. i personally believe that an all out hulk could beat an all out thor. maybe thats me though :P.

Hulks has had numerous feats, hell zeus even cheated in a contest of power to beat the hulk, and thanos himself has commented champion resembles the hulk in raw power. :)

#20 Edited by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

that ONLY occurred once man, and it was a Loooooong time ago. hulk has fought much more powerful beings than thor such as galaxy master and etc, who failed to put down the savage hulk, who in fact was weaker back then. i personally believe that an all out hulk could beat an all out thor. maybe thats me though :P.

Hulks has had numerous feats, hell zeus even cheated in a contest of power to beat the hulk, and thanos himself has commented champion resembles the hulk in raw power. :)

I did say even though Hulk resisted it on other occasions. It was a one off occasion that he got one hit KOed by lightning. The Galaxy Master is an impressive feat but so is taking on Glory, Galactus, Atum, Mangog and more. Thor's fought cosmics and skyfathers far more often than Hulk and has either won or landed some good hits against those characters. In all honesty, the firepower Thor would have via Mjolnir is far too much for even Worldbreaker Hulk IMO. He hasn't proven himself to be on even herald level, let alone cosmic entities and skyfathers that Thor has damaged.

#21 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@theacidskull said:

I did say even though Hulk resisted it on other occasions. It was a one off occasion that he got one hit KOed by lightning. The Galaxy Master is an impressive feat but so is taking on Glory, Galactus, Atum, Mangog and more. Thor's fought cosmics and skyfathers far more often than Hulk and has either won or landed some good hits against those characters. In all honesty, the firepower Thor would have via Mjolnir is far too much for even Worldbreaker Hulk IMO. He hasn't proven himself to be on even herald level, let alone cosmic entities and skyfathers that Thor has damaged.

all i was saying that Hulk has FOUGHT people of the highest caliber as well, he is a very powerful being and at one time thor would have one. Personally, though our opinions differ and i respect that, WBH would stomp thor, i think he was ABOVE herald level, because when he was Holding back he demolished armaggedon, someone who has beaten silver surfer before, and then as a result of a clash he caused, a planet was destroyed and he had barely a scratch on him, and he had 0 damage on him. but i respect your opinion and i hope you do the same to me ^___^

#22 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

all i was saying that Hulk has FOUGHT people of the highest caliber as well, he is a very powerful being and at one time thor would have one. Personally, though our opinions differ and i respect that, WBH would stomp thor, i think he was ABOVE herald level, because when he was Holding back he demolished armaggedon, someone who has beaten silver surfer before, and then as a result of a clash he caused, a planet was destroyed and he had barely a scratch on him, and he had 0 damage on him. but i respect your opinion and i hope you do the same to me ^___^

Who's this Armageddon guy? When'd Hulk fight him? And Thor's endured planet busting+ attacks before. But sure I'll agree to disagree mate :)

#23 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

thor

#24 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

@theacidskull said:

Who's this Armageddon guy? When'd Hulk fight him? And Thor's endured planet busting+ attacks before. But sure I'll agree to disagree mate :)

http://www.comicvine.com/lord-armageddon/4005-26420/

#25 Posted by God_Spawn (38239 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk is physically stronger.

#26 Posted by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk is physically superior than Thor.

#27 Edited by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

Classically, Thor is stronger than Hulk. The creator of both, Stan Lee, said as much, "I would have to guess that Thor is stronger, only because he is a god and probably can't be killed. Again, I don't know how the guys have been writing him lately, but I thought of him as invulnerable. I would think that with his hammer and everything, he'd probably beat the Hulk. But what's interesting with the Hulk is, the more he fights and the more he's beaten, the stronger he gets, so maybe it would be a draw."

He also said that he made Thor, because he asked himself who could be stronger than the most powerful man on Earth? "A god." [Paraphrased of course].

So classically, Thor is stronger than the Hulk no question, and would win a fight, hands down.

NOW THOUGH? Hulk is definitely stronger, a fact that I personally prefer as it balances the two, it makes theirs a give and take relationship.

Who would win a fight now? Hulk probably. Writers are pushing him hard. In an actual comic, he'd probably win. Sure, Thor would probably be trying not to hurt him (as seen in Avengers movie), but Hulk would be the one walking away at the end.

Who

should

win in a fight? Thor, clearly. Due to versatility, and the fact their other stats are pretty comparable. Hulk may be stronger, but not by enough to overcome Thor's speed and energy projection.

#28 Posted by dondave (38795 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk

#29 Edited by GreenScar1990 (617 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger Pfft. Yeah, right. Thor has more abilites thanks to Mjolnir, but that doesn't make him more powerful than the Hulk. More versatile, yes. When it comes to overall power, they're evenly matched. I mean, you act like Hulk hasn't battled Galactus and withstood his might, which he has during Secret Wars and a few other times.

And as @theacidskull mentioned Galaxy Master, who is also on that level of extreme power as the cosmic entities. And what about Onslaught, whose armor and power were stated on panel to be at Celestial levels? And Lord Armageddon of the Troyjan, who is as powerful as the most powerful heralds of Galactus, having fought Silver Surfer and Professor Hulk at the same time and managing to subdue/defeat them both. In a all-out fight, WBH would best Thor even at his mightiest, because while holding back against Armageddon in their second conflict he took a being of the most powerful herald level and trashed him.

Professor Hulk & Silver Surfer vs. Lord Armageddon- The Incredible Hulk #416 - The Troyjan War, Part 4: The Big Bang

World-Breaker Hulk (while greatly holding back) vs. Lord Armageddon- Incredible Hulks #632 - Heart of the Monster, Part 3

And the Celestials certainly know of, acknowledge and respect the Hulk's infinite might. Gamiel the Manipulator searched for (and found in Hulk), "evolution's crowning achievement -- the pinnacle of what your species will become..." From Marvel Monsters: Devil Dinosaur #1:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/...ilDinosaur1.jpg

Apocalypse takes great notice of the Hulk's energies as they "may give [him] power over the Celestials themselves." From Incredible Hulk #456:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/...espect13456.jpg

#30 Edited by GreenScar1990 (617 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: You tell him, dude! Hulk can take whatever Thor and Mjolnir can unleash and then some! God Blast and all!

And here is a little piece from The Incredible Hulk #450. It really shows that the reason Hulk has infinite power is because the gamma energy his body take in comes from every universe/dimension in existence. Taking place after the Onslaught conflict, Dr. Strange reveals that with Banner & Hulk seperated, they're unable to control their power. And as such, the Unleashed Hulk is becoming more powerful... but at a price.

It's killing him. And in the end, if Banner and Hulk would not have become one the end result would not only be the death of the Hulk... but the destruction of the universe itself in the form of a Gamma Big Bang! I feel that Peter David was really going somewhere with this, but sadly after Marvel forced him off the Hulk after Betty Banner's death and the return of the Savage incarnation, he left the series and returned a few years later for Incredible Hulk: Tempest Fugit.

#31 Edited by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

The Hulk is a little bit stronger but Thor is far more powerful overall.

#32 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Not taking anything away from Hulk -- in my mind as a Marvel fan and one who didn't follow either character religiously, I always thought Thor as the stronger of the two. While I appreciate what makes Hulk, Hulk, Thor is a god. Regardless of how other writers portray gods and regardless of stories from one set to the other in terms of bias (of which there are many for both characters) I still say Thor. It makes the most sense and like a previous poster mentioned, the creator of both said Thor.

I get things change but I call BS on that. If Thor was supposed to be considered the strongest - yes physically - then he should have remained that way. To me, anything showing differently is what some of you fellows calls PIS in the battle forums.

It should go without saying this is only my opinion but since we are talking about Hulk and Thor, I will still point it out although I doubt that will make a difference.

#33 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: I Understand your position Lyko, i see your point, but thats hardly the case anymore when the evidence is stacked on the table. PIS could be only considered if something happens once, twice or i'll go on a stretch here and say three times. But when something continually takes place it's hardly PIS anymore. When Thor and HULK were created thor was meant to be stronger , both with overall and physical power , but right now, hulk is thors superior when it comes to strength.

When it comes to comics, The tile GOD hardly means anything anymore, ares is a God of war, yet he , for the last few years has been demolished by everyone, and he is hardly as strong as he should be. Same for thor, he is VERY powerful, but when it comes to someone like hulk, he can't win ONLY by brawling. even Back then, when thors baseline level was higher than hulks, hulk always managed to pick his power up with the fact that his anger continually increases, and has shown that he is physically stronger than thor.

But know, if all STRENGTH feats are stacked together even hulks baseline has become stronger than it use to be, and he is stronger than thor, however, that does not mean that Blondie can't win the figth, he has a mythical hammer which is pretty power, and fighting skills that would come in handy.

You know that i just HAD to reply to this right? <3

#34 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: I Understand your position Lyko, i see your point, but thats hardly the case anymore when the evidence is stacked on the table. PIS could be only considered if something happens once, twice or i'll go on a stretch here and say three times. But when something continually takes place it's hardly PIS anymore. When Thor and HULK were created thor was meant to be stronger , both with overall and physical power , but right now, hulk is thors superior when it comes to strength.

When it comes to comics, The tile GOD hardly means anything anymore, ares is a God of war, yet he , for the last few years has been demolished by everyone, and he is hardly as strong as he should be. Same for thor, he is VERY powerful, but when it comes to someone like hulk, he can't win ONLY by brawling. even Back then, when thors baseline level was higher than hulks, hulk always managed to pick his power up with the fact that his anger continually increases, and has shown that he is physically stronger than thor.

But know, if all STRENGTH feats are stacked together even hulks baseline has become stronger than it use to be, and he is stronger than thor, however, that does not mean that Blondie can't win the figth, he has a mythical hammer which is pretty power, and fighting skills that would come in handy.

lol --- put it this way; I posted in here specifically because I wanted you to see it. Awesome reponse btw, lil bro. Now --- will I be allowed to declare it PIS when the next issue of Indestructible Hulk comes out because of the whole Mjolnir thing.....?

**runs out of thread - making clown faces**

#35 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@theacidskull said:

lol --- put it this way; I posted in here specifically because I wanted you to see it. Awesome reponse btw, lil bro. Now --- will I be allowed to declare it PIS when the next issue of Indestructible Hulk comes out because of the whole Mjolnir thing.....?

**runs out of thread - making clown faces**

I KNEW IT! :D

Elektra and......remember , i'll do it if i have too XD

anyways, if hulk is worthy :P, then you can declare it PIS , since savage hulk CAN'T BE WORTHY( though World war/breaker Hulk could be) , but i'm sure there will be a catch waid will provide us with :P

#36 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger Pfft. Yeah, right. Thor has more abilites thanks to Mjolnir, but that doesn't make him more powerful than the Hulk. More versatile, yes. When it comes to overall power, they're evenly matched. I mean, you act like Hulk hasn't battled Galactus and withstood his might, which he has during Secret Wars and a few other times.

And as @theacidskull mentioned Galaxy Master, who is also on that level of extreme power as the cosmic entities. And what about Onslaught, whose armor and power were stated on panel to be at Celestial levels? And Lord Armageddon of the Troyjan, who is as powerful as the most powerful heralds of Galactus, having fought Silver Surfer and Professor Hulk at the same time and managing to subdue/defeat them both. In a all-out fight, WBH would best Thor even at his mightiest, because while holding back against Armageddon in their second conflict he took a being of the most powerful herald level and trashed him.

Professor Hulk & Silver Surfer vs. Lord Armageddon- The Incredible Hulk #416 - The Troyjan War, Part 4: The Big Bang

World-Breaker Hulk (while greatly holding back) vs. Lord Armageddon- Incredible Hulks #632 - Heart of the Monster, Part 3

And the Celestials certainly know of, acknowledge and respect the Hulk's infinite might. Gamiel the Manipulator searched for (and found in Hulk), "evolution's crowning achievement -- the pinnacle of what your species will become..." From Marvel Monsters: Devil Dinosaur #1:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/...ilDinosaur1.jpg

Apocalypse takes great notice of the Hulk's energies as they "may give [him] power over the Celestials themselves." From Incredible Hulk #456:

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/...espect13456.jpg

I feel I've derailed this thread enough by bringing in overall power on a purely physical based thread so I shan't continue to derail it. However, as a final word on the topic, I would recommend reading these 2 blogs on the Thor vs Hulk match up. These were very instrumental for me in enlightening me about the range of Thor and Hulk's abilities and may help you see why I hold my view on the Thor vs Hulk battle. If you want to continue discussing this privately, I would love to exchange views but on here, I feel it would detract from the actual topic. Besides I've said Hulk is physically superior to Thor already. Anyway here are the 2 blogs

https://www.comicvine.com/thor/4005-2268/forums/my-blog-on-thor-vs-hulk-who-should-win-638534/

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/citizenbane/blog/thor-and-hulk-what-really-happened-and-what-would-/79889/

#37 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull:

Seriously, I am pretty sure it has to do with that little piece of Mjolnir. I can't wait to find out what's going on.

#38 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on three things, writers, title of the book, and how angry Thor is( see Fear itself) !

#39 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@verotikryptonite: I saw your scans , it seems that you forgot to post the ending part of the scan from Fear itself when Thor knocked the Hulk's a** into orbit!

#40 Posted by Pyrogram (41246 posts) - - Show Bio

hulk, no denying that. Physically hulk is tougher.

This.

#41 Edited by Verotikryptonite (323 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: You mean the part where he powered up DBZ style knocked the Hulk into orbit and passed out while having no effect on the Hulk? Guess Thor couldn't handle the strain on his frail Asgardian body, Hulk just shrugged that off. Proceeded to destroy an army of vampires and crushed a hammer every bit as powerful as Mjolnir with his bare hands. The hammer he destroyed had been created by Odin's superior and far more powerful big brother. Try harder

#42 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18344 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@theacidskull:

Seriously, I am pretty sure it has to do with that little piece of Mjolnir. I can't wait to find out what's going on.

I share your excitement! Can't wait! :D

#43 Posted by Fifthchild (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Not taking anything away from Hulk -- in my mind as a Marvel fan and one who didn't follow either character religiously, I always thought Thor as the stronger of the two. While I appreciate what makes Hulk, Hulk, Thor is a god. Regardless of how other writers portray gods and regardless of stories from one set to the other in terms of bias (of which there are many for both characters) I still say Thor. It makes the most sense and like a previous poster mentioned, the creator of both said Thor.

I get things change but I call BS on that. If Thor was supposed to be considered the strongest - yes physically - then he should have remained that way. To me, anything showing differently is what some of you fellows calls PIS in the battle forums.

Thor wasnt intended to be the strongest. His distinguishing feature was that he was a God. I've done this thing so many times that i cant be bothered going into more detail than that. And i'm pretty sure Stan Lee considered Hulk to be the stronger of the two. He certainly wrote him that way and he scripted the fight that first drove the point home. Which is what matters in the end really.

The counter-argument is that there is an interview where someone asked "Who is stronger?" and Stan answered "if i had to guess I would say Thor". While that sounds pretty damning the rest of his answer makes it pretty clear that hes saying he would think Thor would prob edge Hulk in a fight if he had to pick a winner. The terms "power" and "strength" were more often used interchangably by Stan. At any rate the rest of Stan's answer only makes sense in this context.

#44 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Thor wasnt intended to be the strongest. His distinguishing feature was that he was a God. I've done this thing so many times that i cant be bothered going into more detail than that. And i'm pretty sure Stan Lee considered Hulk to be the stronger of the two. He certainly wrote him that way and he scripted the fight that first drove the point home. Which is what matters in the end really.

The counter-argument is that there is an interview where someone asked "Who is stronger?" and Stan answered "if i had to guess I would say Thor". While that sounds pretty damning the rest of his answer makes it pretty clear that hes saying he would think Thor would prob edge Hulk in a fight if he had to pick a winner. The terms "power" and "strength" were more often used interchangably by Stan. At any rate the rest of Stan's answer only makes sense in this context.

Great observation!

#45 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Gotcha. I did read the interview with Stan Lee and while he seemed to go both ways and ultimately picked Thor - I have to agree about the terms of "power" and "strength" being interchanged often by Mr. Lee.

#46 Posted by SC (13299 posts) - - Show Bio

Stan Lee was clear that if he had two characters engage in a confrontation, a staple of superhero comics he would do his best "to make the encounter look fair" which counts for Namor versus Daredevil, and Thor versus Hulk, using his writing is not a good indication of how he viewed the characters objectively and so not a good reflection of his intent in that regard either, contrary to the commonly used fallacious arguments made from argumentum ad ignorantiam.

There are multiple sources where Stan Lee talks about creating a stronger hero than Hulk, the only argument to this that I have personally seen is that Stan Lee mentions a bunch of other stuff and so was only trying to emphasis some other aspect of Thor not related to strength. Stan would often sell an idea better than he would substantiate the idea with what one could consider proper terms, but its a bit hard to argue the sources out there, and ultimately what is considered to make sense will hinge on a personas ability to consider alternatives.

#47 Posted by w0nd (3901 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a comic, there is really no way to tell. On tuesday hulk is stronger then by next Thursday Hulk gets an upgrade. There is a reason this argument comes up over and over. Plus they fluctuate in power so much.

#48 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: You mean the part where he powered up DBZ style knocked the Hulk into orbit and passed out while having no effect on the Hulk? Guess Thor couldn't handle the strain on his frail Asgardian body, Hulk just shrugged that off. Proceeded to destroy an army of vampires and crushed a hammer every bit as powerful as Mjolnir with his bare hands. The hammer he destroyed had been created by Odin's superior and far more powerful big brother. Try harder

Okay lets get started sir, your move!

#49 Edited by w0nd (3901 posts) - - Show Bio

@verotikryptonite said:

Okay lets get started sir, your move!

What's this from?

#50 Posted by Fifthchild (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

Stan Lee was clear that if he had two characters engage in a confrontation, a staple of superhero comics he would do his best "to make the encounter look fair" which counts for Namor versus Daredevil, and Thor versus Hulk, using his writing is not a good indication of how he viewed the characters objectively and so not a good reflection of his intent in that regard either, contrary to the commonly used fallacious arguments made from argumentum ad ignorantiam.

Stan often tried to make things ambiguous and give each character respect but its not like he never flat out showed one guy more powerful than the other or superior in some aspect. One of those times would be Thor 385 which showed that Hulk woud eventually prevail hand 2 hand. Admittedly it was Eric Larsen's plot/story idea but Stan felt comfortable enough with the whole thing to script it.

There are multiple sources where Stan Lee talks about creating a stronger hero than Hulk, the only argument to this that I have personally seen is that Stan Lee mentions a bunch of other stuff and so was only trying to emphasis some other aspect of Thor not related to strength.

I dont agree with this. There are multiple sources where Thor discusses the challenges behind coming up with new characters such as Thor that have been interpreted as if he was posting on a Battleboard but when considered in context i think its pretty clear what he is saying and its not that he wanted to make a character stronger than Hulk but "couldnt figure out how to do it" and that led him to the God angle.

Stan did create a character stronger than the Hulk - The Abomination. And he didnt have to make him a God to do it. Anyway we've done this dance a few times from memory so we probably wont change each others minds.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.