Which abilities could be omitted?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk has many different abilities:

1. Leaping/Jumping
  2. Running
  3. Accelerated Healing
  4. Breathing Underwater
  5. Resistance to Mind Control
  6. Bullet Proof Skin
  7. Infinite Stamina
  8. Thunderclap
  9. Unlimited strength
  10. Resistant to heat and cold
  11. Ghosts sightedness
  12. Survive in the vacuum
  13. Resistant to magic
  14. Immunity to all diseases

(Sorry if some abilities are missing.)

Which ablilities are needless or could be omitted? I mean this in the sense of:

• "Hulk has so many skills, he doesn´t need all of them."
  • "The Thunderclap is stupid. I prefer when he uses his body strength."
  • "He can see ghosts? What?"

What do you think?

#2 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18379 posts) - - Show Bio

You should add adaptation to the list.

and i don't want anything taken out of hulks powers. he is awesome just the way he is.

#3 Edited by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

His endurance isn't unlimited, only potentially unlimited.

#4 Posted by Hoarderofhilarity (299 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

Hulk has many different abilities:

1. Leaping/Jumping
  2. Running
  3. Accelerated Healing
  4. Breathing Underwater
  5. Resistance to Mind Control
  6. Bullet Proof Skin
  7. Infinite Stamina
  8. Thunderclap
  9. Unlimited strength
  10. Resistant to heat and cold
  11. Ghosts sightedness
  12. Survive in the vacuum
  13. Resistant to magic
  14. Immunity to all diseases

(Sorry if some abilities are missing.)

Which ablilities are needless or could be omitted? I mean this in the sense of:

• "Hulk has so many skills, he doesn´t need all of them."
  • "The Thunderclap is stupid. I prefer when he uses his body strength."
  • "He can see ghosts? What?"

What do you think?

Ummm running and leaping are basic for a humanoid character and are just off-shoots of his strength as is his durability, immunity and thunderclap plus his unlimited strength is potential. yeah his ability list is hardly that expansive when you have Silver Surfer and Thor running around with god knows how many powers.

#5 Posted by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I don´t like the thunderclap, because it´s something like a super power, like an energie, generated by a kung fu master. Hulk stands for physical strength. If it were me, then Hulk would only have physical abilities:

1. Unlimited Strength
  2. Running
  3. Leaping/Jumping
  4. Resistance to anything
  5. Immunity to all diseases

That´s enough, in my opinion. He´s the Hulk, not Superman or Gouku.

#6 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18379 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

@theacidskull: I don´t like the thunderclap, because it´s something like a super power, like an energie, generated by a kung fu master. Hulk stands for physical strength. If it were me, then Hulk would only have physical abilities:

1. Unlimited Strength
  2. Running
  3. Leaping/Jumping

The greatest thing about the hulk is that he can use his Mass and power in various ways, thunderclap is one of them

#7 Posted by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Do you think the thunderclap is important? Hulk can use it over and over again, so I think his physical strength should be his strongest power. The thunderclap seems to be like a weapon, that does not fit him (just my own feeling).

#8 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18379 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

@theacidskull: Do you think the thunderclap is important? Hulk can use it over and over again, so I think his physical strength should be his strongest power. The thunderclap seems to be like a weapon, that does not fit him (just my own feeling).

I love the Thunderclap.

#9 Posted by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18379 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Edited by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18379 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the: Breathing underwater, ghost sight and his ability to adapt and survive in a vacuum.

#14 Posted by dum529001 (1654 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think any of it should be omitted. All of it is important.

#15 Posted by Perethorn (3569 posts) - - Show Bio

I don´t see why to ommit abilities from the Hulk. They say that the things we have are the ones that define us, so it will be Hulk no more without any of those powers.

#16 Posted by frozenedge (1331 posts) - - Show Bio

@perethorn: So you're saying If we take away the Hulk's ghost sight ability the Hulk would be no more? The Hulk doesn't even need the ability to see ghosts considering he fights ghosts once every 10 years during a blue moon. There's no reason he should even have it in the first place. That and being resistant to magic

#17 Posted by Fifthchild (623 posts) - - Show Bio

The ability to see astral forms/ghost thing has been fairly consistent as a kind of "theres something weird and uncanny about the Hulk" type power (even though it eventually got explained). As for the rest of the list they all seem pretty genuine except for the "Resistance to magic" thing - i dont think thats really been shown much if at all.

Thunderclaps/running/jumping of course are probably all secondary to Hulks strength but in other sense they are Hulk trademarks so...I dunno. The breathing underwater thing may have been a bit borderline but it recently got referenced again in Aaron's run so i think its worth a mention though its on of those powers that a lot of people arent going to write him with/be aware of (e.g. Waid in a more recent issue).

Hulk also seems to have the ability to do weird/crazy things when extremely angry/motivated such as grabbing energy and shrugging off transmutation but thats probably not worth mentioning as a separate power. Character bios tend to go overboard with fan wankery type powers as it is.

#18 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18379 posts) - - Show Bio

The ability to see astral forms/ghost thing has been fairly consistent as a kind of "theres something weird and uncanny about the Hulk" type power (even though it eventually got explained). As for the rest of the list they all seem pretty genuine except for the "Resistance to magic" thing - i dont think thats really been shown much if at all.

Thunderclaps/running/jumping of course are probably all secondary to Hulks strength but in other sense they are Hulk trademarks so...I dunno. The breathing underwater thing may have been a bit borderline but it recently got referenced again in Aaron's run so i think its worth a mention though its on of those powers that a lot of people arent going to write him with/be aware of (e.g. Waid in a more recent issue).

Hulk also seems to have the ability to do weird/crazy things when extremely angry/motivated such as grabbing energy and shrugging off transmutation but thats probably not worth mentioning as a separate power. Character bios tend to go overboard with fan wankery type powers as it is.

Hickman also wrote hulk with adaptation powers, in avenger 5 i think

#19 Posted by God_Spawn (38244 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

1. Unlimited Strength
  2. Running
  3. Leaping/Jumping

Not sure how your list of powers is anyway relatable to Superman? You just kind of took basic powers and just made them separate abilities? Hulk doesn't have a wide list of superpowers as is so nothing really needs to be omitted.

#20 Posted by SC (13307 posts) - - Show Bio

Gamma Sexiness - Hulk doesn't need to be that sexy, I don't like when writers have Hulk seduce with his WMS - or weapons of mass seduction. Hulk should stick to world breaking, not bed breaking. You know something is wrong when Hulk is sexier than Emma Frost... wait what? 0_0

Subconscious Super Intelligence - Back in an issue of a comic where innocents accidentally died because puny humans wouldn't leave Hulk alone and Hulk played a small role in the deaths of innocent humans - except years later we found out that Hulk because of subconscious super intelligence always made sure when he knocked down buildings and all that that falling fridges would fall a precise way due to the super trigonometry Hulk does subconsciously on the fly all the time to not hurt people in their kitchens, absolving Hulk of all and any responsibility he may have held as far as deaths of innocents. Yeah this one I don't like, because its too nice and fairy tallish, and I don't like my Hulk to be a big shiny pure superhero, I like my Hulk to be more of an unsung hero with some blood on his hands that he never asked for but happens because that is reality. Hulk hurts people, and unfortunately sometimes there are no bad guys, sometimes the "bad guys" are just "normal guys" like General Ross who is motivated by fear, ignorance, paranoia? Insecurity? Jealously? Depends, but if he sends out dozens of tanks and planes with guns to take out the Hulk, chances are there is probably going to be collateral damage and some of that will happen because Hulk defended himself. Banner is a smart guy, but not so smart that he can eliminate collateral damage, and this is also important because it makes guilt Hulk so scary. I don't blame Hulk for the blood on his hands, the same way I don't blame good police officers who sometimes make unavoidable mistakes on the job, but I don't like Hulk being sugar coated either. To me it makes Hulk (and other characters) actually more heroic having to live with the pain guilt brings with temper tantrums, and uncontrollable rage and still try to do the right thing, than whitewash the characters actions.

#21 Posted by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Energy bundling, influencing gravitation, releasing energy. These are all abilities that do not fit this character. Hulk is pure, physical strength and no energy-releasing superhero.

#22 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11975 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu: Hulk energy releasing power make since considering Hulk is a giant walking Gamma radiation factory, also it's not like Hulk shoot out the radiation like Supes or Goku the radiation just start to sort come out at dangerous level and it take ALOT of anger to really get to that point.

#23 Posted by w0nd (3925 posts) - - Show Bio

his "hunting" "tracking" ability and his ability to see spirits. I am fine with his level of durability he technically is not invulnerable so it makes it fair. you COULD manage to break his neck, or stab him in the face he would heal obviously but it levels the playing field

#24 Posted by Zardu (348 posts) - - Show Bio

@thatguywithheadphones: Whether the energy comes out of his body or is bundled from the outside makes no difference. Hulk is pure physical strength. Everything else does not match this comic book character. Just my opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.