Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Waid's Plans on Indestructible Hulk post Infinity

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lvenger

I have to say I'm very impressed by the plans here. Not only is Waid deftly dealing with the fallout from Infinity, he's making leaps and bounds in Hulk related story telling.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Nice! Mark Waid writing awesome stories as usual!

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
    Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Interesting.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very Interested now.

hulks True Potential? WB is hard to beat :P

It is hard to beat but we can only wait and wonder what Waid has in his mind.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@theacidskull said:

Very Interested now.

I for one am excited :P, I'll be Positive!

Hulk will literally become the strongest there is probably. :P

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@theacidskull said:

@tdk_1997 said:

@theacidskull said:

Very Interested now.

I for one am excited :P, I'll be Positive!

Hulk will literally become the strongest there is probably. :P

*fingers Crossed*

We'll see. :P

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Very Interested now.

exactly what I was thinking.

Sounds amazing can't wait.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It looks intresting.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

HULK Destroys, BANNER Destroys? Waid's INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK Post-Infinity Changes

by Lucas Siegel, Site EditorDate: 19 July 2013 Time: 09:00 AM ET

Sure, Infinity, Marvel’s next major event, hasn’t even started yet, but as is the nature in the comic book business, we’re already looking ahead to the stories coming once the universe-shattering storyline has reached its end.

Specifically here, we look to Indestructible Hulk. In November’s #16, the story sees what happens when a brain like Bruce Banner’s is exposed to a cosmic disaster like Infinity. While his motto may have been “Hulk Smashes, Banner Builds” up until now, after Infinity, everything changes. The way Marvel describes it, Banner seeks to create a power stronger than Hulk, and he’s making it a bomb.

We talked to Mark Waid about this new arc, and what it’s like working with new artist Mahmud Asrar (who is also handling the Hulk Annual with Jeff Parker ). We even got some teases about the arc in-between and Banner/Hulk’s long-term plans.

Newsarama: Mark, it feels a little weird to jump right into a conversation about an arc that follows not just an arc that hasn't started, but an event that hasn't started. So let's start here – now that Bruce and Hulk have established themselves pretty firmly into S.H.I.E.L.D., what's Banner's mindset at this point? Does he feel comfortable? Is this a life he can maintain in the long-term?

Mark Waid: He could if it were entirely up to him. Unfortunately, he's beginning to suspect that S.H.I.E.L.D. may be taking advantage of him in ways he hadn't imagined – and friction is building.

Nrama: Events like Infinity always seem to hit Hulk in a very specific way – by challenging his status as strongest there is. How will Infinity challenge Bruce as well as Hulk?

Waid: Because the challenge is a Bruce problem, not a Hulk problem. There's nothing to hit (not at first, anyway). It's a chance for Bruce to pull off the ultimate redemptive "make-good" mission, and everything rides on that. We know how strong Hulk is. The question is, how smart is Banner?

Nrama: So, we're looking beyond that story and into the future of Indestructible Hulk. Similar to the first question, I know you can't say much for fear of spoilers, but after time travel and Infinity, it seems Bruce's mindset may change a bit, so where is he mentally as this arc begins in November?

Waid: He's learned a few key things about Hulk's ultimate potential, things he didn't know before. Which frightens him. But it also makes him even more eager to redeem himself as a force for good--and eager to take his lab assistants further under his wing.

Nrama: Bruce's mission, and reason for joining S.H.I.E.L.D. Has been "Hulk Smashes, Banner Builds," so it seems antithetical for him to be building the extremely powerful bomb described in the solicitation for the arc. Why the sudden change of heart?

Waid: That's exactly what Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Hank Pym, and Marvel's other super-scientists are asking. To them, this seems like an EXTRAORDINARLY bad idea. How much can they trust Bruce?

Nrama: S.H.I.E.L.D. usually has an agenda hidden behind an agenda hidden behind an agenda, and that's surely the case with Banner/Hulk. Is this the arc, as Banner gets potentially destructive, where we'll start to see more of that creep through?

Waid: More and more. The problem with S.H.I.E.L.D. is that they see conspiracies behind everything from government coups to ice-cream shops, and their paranoia doesn't go very far in keeping Bruce Banner relaxed.

Nrama: How does Banner's team react to the seeming change in mission? Will we see their reactions to Infinity as well as what Banner is trying to do now?

Waid: Absolutely. They take the stage alongside Banner in this story, happily. Well, happily for all but one.

Nrama: Cue readers guessing which one! With more frequent and more controlled changes back and forth between Banner and Hulk, what are the chances the two start to bleed into each other a bit? Are there aspects of each that you see more clearly shining through the other as you enter your second year with the characters?

Waid: Apparently, someone's given you an advance peek at issue 15!

Nrama: If only. Thanks for the tip. You have been slowly bringing this new take on Hulk into the rest of the Marvel Universe, with an old (young) Thor, and then Daredevil – why is it important to take it slowly when it comes to re-introducing Hulk's dynamic with other characters?

Waid: I just like the one-on-one time. I like the idea that, unlike, say Captain America or Spider-Man, Hulk is a character who's going to provoke a totally different reaction in each of Marvel's heroes; they'll all respond uniquely to him, as we've seen so far. That's a great dynamic to play with.

Nrama: Likewise, who else might we see coming around in this next arc? It seems that several members of the Marvel Universe would react poorly to such a weapon being built – who else might hear about this and have something to say?

Waid: I can't imagine Red Hulk would be to happy about it.

Nrama: Finally, you're working with Mahmud Asrar for this arc, who we just spoke with about the annual he's doing with Jeff Parker. What are some of Asrar's strengths that you're excited to play to?

Waid: The sheer weight he brings to the character--not just physically, making him massive and tough, but the sense of menace that's there in every panel, in every pose. There's a density to Mahmud's Hulk that makes him appropriately terrifying.

Nrama: Anything else you'd like to tease about Indestructible Hulk in the next several months?

Waid: Remember, Banner and his lawyer Matt Murdock are collaborating on...something. And when you find out what, the whole Marvel Universe is likely to turn upside-down!

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GreenScar1990

Okay, I'm very interested by this.

The Hulk's true Ultimate Potential, eh?

Unless something major happened in 'Infinity' with Hulk going beyond even WBH, I believe that Mark Waid has his work cut out for him. It's hard to top a power level greater than that of any herald of Galactus. We'll see. Until then, I will continue to watch on.

Not surprising that Banner's relationship working with SHIELD is coming to an end. It was destined to end for a number of important reasons. And it seems that the challenge is directed at Banner's intellect, for you truly can't challenge the Hulk for the status of strongest one there is.

Like I said, I'll be keeping my eyes on this.

Now if only we could get artists like Jim Lee, Paul Pelletier, Carlo Pagulayan and Dale Keown onto the series. ;)

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RaynorJ

Yay, more of Banner. Less of Hulk... just what i wanted.... bleh. This all seems full of intrigue and future twists. I just have this feeling that Waid is gonna screw over Hulks character big time.

Well i guess i should stay positive and hope for the best, but i really dislike the idea of Banner building a bomb because he doesn't see Hulk as strong enough.

Avatar image for cosmiccommonsense
    CosmicCommonSense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was stated in secret wars 2 by uatu that everyone possesses the potential for gaining power on a cosmic scale I for one believe that world breaker is "cosmic hulk"

CosmicCommonSense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull:

SHUT UP YOUR WRONG HULK CAN BEAT EVERYONE WITH HIS I CAN BEAT EVERYONE ATTITUDE!!!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greenscar1990: Lee's a DC exclusive currently and is high up in the DC hierarchy, Pelletier has had his Hulk run. I have no idea who the last two are so they could work.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Okay, I'm very interested by this.

The Hulk's true Ultimate Potential, eh?

Unless something major happened in 'Infinity' with Hulk going beyond even WBH, I believe that Mark Waid has his work cut out for him. It's hard to top a power level greater than that of any herald of Galactus. We'll see. Until then, I will continue to watch on.

Not surprising that Banner's relationship working with SHIELD is coming to an end. It was destined to end for a number of important reasons. And it seems that the challenge is directed at Banner's intellect, for you truly can't challenge the Hulk for the status of strongest one there is.

Like I said, I'll be keeping my eyes on this.

Now if only we could get artists like Jim Lee, Paul Pelletier, Carlo Pagulayan and Dale Keown onto the series. ;)

Oh damn I'd love Dale Keown to draw Hulk again.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love what the writer's are doing with the Hulk/Banner dynamic. Daredevil and Hulk also make a great team!

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't really know that yet, hulks strongest is WB, if banner wants to amp hulk even more, i'm fine with that/ and as much as we wan't do admit, hulk may be the strongest, but he can't beat everyone, and waids seems to hint that there will be a banner vs hulk in issue 15, a good one this time i hope >_>, i don't want another Jason Aaron EVIL banner NOR hulk

Personally i am not fine with it, i dislike the fact that Hulk is getting amped outside of any source other than his anger. I don't like when he get's amped by magic, science or is given a weapon(in this case a bomb). One of the reasons i love Hulk so much is because all the power he has comes from him and him alone, it's not a weapon his daddy gave him, it's not a omnipotent demon powering him through a gem, it's not a planet eater that gives power cosmic. No it's all Hulk. And i am fine if Hulk can't beat everyone in fact i would hate it if he could. I also know that he is not the strongest, not as long as there are omnipotent beings in the universe. But like i said i very much dislike this, i wanna see Hulk reach his ultimate potential by himself, with his anger. The bomb thing sounds incredibly dumb. And again it's Waid more focusing on Banner than the Hulk. To him Hulk is just a tool rather than a character with more than half a century of history. At least with Aaron i got to see the actual Hulk, even if the plot was terrible and Banner was just insufferable.

MrPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this bomb, is supposed to amp Hulk is that right?

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GreenScar1990

@raynorj: Okay. First things first.

The Hulk's ultimate potential that Mark Waid is talking about is to occur will be happening during 'Infinity' & the 'Agent of T.I.M.E.' arc in which it will be the Hulk's own power within himself.

The bomb/weapon that Banner is creating is something akin to an ultimate weapon that eclipses even the Hulk and everything else's might. Try to think of Banner's weapon being akin to the Ultimate Nullifier or something like that. Imagine a weapon so powerful, so dangerous that it can threaten the Marvel Universe. That's what Banner is building. If you read the interview clearly, you would know this.

However, all I can say is Waid has his work cut out for him if he wishes to surpass Hulk's WB power. It can be done, because Hulk doesn't have a limit. The Beyonder and the Celestials have acknowledged Hulk's infinite power/might in the past. Why is everyone so surprised by this?

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greenscar1990:

You guys are still looking at this as a Hulk comic, it really isn't. It's all about Banner. The ultimate potential Waid is talking about is not clear what it is, he mentions neither strength nor power he keeps it vague, i guess i did read something clearly, all Marvel says is that Hulk strength is not enough for what Banner is planning. Though Waid clearly states that the events in the Infinity will not challenge Hulk but Banner, it's about how smart Banner is. And to top it all off at the end he mentions Murdock and Banner collaboration on something that will turn the Marvel universe upside, again all about Banner. Waids whole run has been about Banner and from the looks of it, it will continue to be all about him for a very long time.

I jumped to conclusions about the bomb amping Hulk, it's not about that. It's about Banner becoming Dr. Insano. I said it earlier and i will say it again, Waid will definitely end up screwing Hulks character, he is already doing a fine job by treating him like Banners piece of equipment, a very powerful one but a tool none the less.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GreenScar1990

@raynorj:

Yes, I agree that the focus is too much on Banner. Not to mention Hulk's massive regression character and history wise. Trust me, I've been making my complaints known on this site and numerous others. It's hard to remain optimistic. And believe me, I hoping for the best. However, thus far, it has yet to come. The problem is, I'm afraid, is that Mr. Waid doesn't understand that there needs to be a balance when it comes to the Banner/Hulk dynamic, especially in terms of their individual personalities, thoughts, feelings and desires. There's some things about the series, quite many actually, that I and other Hulk fans are not pleased with.

Avatar image for imnemothegemini
    ImNemotheGemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very curious to see what Waid has going on ! Seeing world Breaker Hulk would be nice.. But World Beeaker Banner... That's a sigh to see !

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand why Banner is building this bomb. I don't.

Still loving the series, but yeah -- kinda confused, considering how Banner is supposed to be focused on inventing/creating things to help/save the world.

Bronze_Surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Bronze_Surfer
    RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull:

Don't hold your breath, i seriously doubt Hulk is gonna do something above his WBH or WWH feats.

I think i might make a thread about my disappointments with Waids take on with the Hulk. The more i think about it the more i dislike what Waid is doing and what he is planning to do with the Hulk, which is basically nothing... And that's the problem...

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm... I recall an old suggestion I made for Indestructible Hulk involving Banner's new direction being from Banner's guilt and regret,which wakes up the Devil Hulk deep within his psyche, who causes him to build a weapon of mass destruction, only for the Devil to take over and try to detonate it, forcing the Avengers to get involved and stop him.

I wonder if this'll end up being something similar.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bronze_surfer said:

@theacidskull: Whats above a world breaker?

A god breaker

dunno :P. guess we're about to find out :D

God Breaker?

You do know Hulk can already contend with the likes of Thor & Herc, right? Beating down gods isn't something new to the Hulk.

What's greater than World-Breaker?

Galaxy Breaker.

What's greater than Galaxy Breaker?

Universe Breaker.

What's greater than Universe Breaker?

Multiverse Breaker.

My guess?

If and when Hulk shows his ultimate potential, it most likely will happen during Hickman's 'Infinity' because I can't see Mr. Waid allowing Hulk to accomplish any extreme feats of power. He has yet to truly display any feat that is really awe-inspiring from the Green Goliath. Now, with the upcoming 'Agent of T.I.M.E.' arc, I could be proven wrong. We'll see.

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RaynorJ

@greenscar1990:

I agree with the last part. I doubt Waid will show us Hulks real potential, considering it's blatantly obvious the guy is not interested in Hulks character but in Banners. All he does is repeat Hulk feats like his strength is incalculable and does other mediocre Hulk feats at best.The thing i give him props to is acknowledging Hulks speed, like when he said it doesn't matter if you are 5 feet or 500 feet away from the Hulk a guy that has enough leg power that he can jump from one continent to the next will get to you in an instant. Though he seems to forgotten all about that ever since issue #2...

I think Infinity will finally give us the Hulk we have been waiting for... i hope...

CosmicCommonSense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I for one do not believe there will ever be showing of hulks true potential cus you gotta look all the way back to his creation from that very second hes been built and built and built and as a creature with limitless potential nah mean?

CosmicCommonSense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997:

hulk is already literally the strongest there is just think about it

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk will be fighting and banner will find a way to detonate the bomb with hulk in the middle of it and thus his power increases vastly

Avatar image for verotikryptonite
    Verotikryptonite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has the makings of an epic let down

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
    thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Multiverse breaking Hulk...I like that, that sounds nice.

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Universe breaker?

You mean like Hulk being able to decimate universes with a thought? or slight movements?

DrunkVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

So Newsarama had an interview with Mark Waid for his run on Indestructible Hulk and what we can expect after Infinity.

http://www.newsarama.com/18373-hulk-destroys-banner-destroys-waid-s-indestructible-hulk-post-infinity-changes.html

What are your thoughts?

the danger with a bump in power is he could get retconned which is gay

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.