Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7769 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Thought Experiment: If you would make a Hulk movie reboot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad9d72d64170
    deactivated-5ad9d72d64170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

When the Ang Lee Hulk movie came out, the reactions were mostly negative. Five years later there was a reboot and it ran a little better (although it was just a glorified flop). Since Edward Norton was fired, Mark Ruffalo had to replace him. With "The Avengers" came success and a brand new Hulk. The result was:

• Two different background stories
    • Two different Hulk origins
    • Three different Bruce Banners
    • Two different Generals
    • Two different Bettys
    • Two different plots
    • Three fundamentally different Hulk designs
    • Three different Hulk personalities
    • Three different Hulk power levels

In summary:

1. A big, heavy guy who could turn into a giant (sad and angry)
    2. A small, ugly, emaciated, dried-out sporty model with emo hair (only roaring and beastly)
    3. An old, green, pensioner who behaves like a shaved gorilla (roaring and funny)
    4. No cinematic continuity

(Please do not take my hard words too seriously :-)

Now we have a large, three-part mess that can not decide what it should be. You might have the feeling that it was more about money than good movies. On the other hand, the whole mess has something good: The three Hulks can be seen and used as a test run. This means: now we know what is good and what must be avoided. (Interestingly, fans always know exactly what they want, the film industry apparently do not.) Here are some of my thoughts:

• Bruce Banner invents a gamma bomb and must test it for the military. There is an incident. Bam! It is beyond me why the gamma bomb was not integrated into any of the two movies. Instead, they fantasized about technologies with utopian genetic engineering, nanotechnology and strange gamma devices from the 70s.
    • Hulk's size remains the same. The idea of a ​​growing Hulk was not accepted and nobody wanted a giant.
    • Hulk must have a good proportionate amount of body fat. He may not be too muscular or thin.
    • The standard feats must be preserved: leaping, jumping, running, invulnerability, unlimited strength.
    • The green of his skin may not be too bright or too dark.
    • His face should be neither simian nor caveman-like.
    • The body proportions should be as human as possible. Only the bones of the face, hands and feet may turn out a little exaggerated. Thus it seems much more realistic. One should say: "Wow, look at the heavy guy", and not: "Wow, better CGI."
    • The conflict between Banner and the Hulk and the relationship with Betty should be the most important part of the movies.
    • General Ross should be Hulk´s archenemy.
    • All stories must be connected.

PS: This thread is just a thought experiment. It's all about: What if ...?

So, what would you change? How would your Hulk reboot look like?

Let your creativity run wild.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: The question is not if you want it, but how would you do it? :-)

Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@zardu: My main problem with this is that you've detached the 3 movies when it's not necessary and by extension exaggerated significantly.

In essence, Hulk - Incredible Hulk - Avengers are all set in the same continuity and the events of each movie effectively spiral into one another. This is evident with the flash backs in Incredible Hulk that replicate set pieces from Hulk and equally, a link can be made between Ed Norton's reclusive mastering of the Hulk and Ruffalo being found on the edge of civilisation but still in control of the Hulk.

Sure the casting is a slight issue, but with the exception of Norton I see no reason why the rest of the cast can't come back for whatever comes next for the Hulk.

Ultimately, I'd like the next Hulk movie to centre around his current arc as an Agent of SHIELD or if they must, voyage off into Planet Hulk territory but I'd rather they didn't just yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@backflip: I just repeated what most people have said: The Ang Lee Hulk was too big, the Norton Hulk too small and too thin and the Ruffalo Hulk to ape-like.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@backflip said:

Ultimately, I'd like the next Hulk movie to centre around his current arc as an Agent of SHIELD or if they must, voyage off into Planet Hulk territory but I'd rather they didn't just yet.

I'm okay with this idea: Say post-Avengers, Ruffalo's Banner is working alongside Stark Industries from a remote location, with SHIELD occasionally coming to him with missions that require smashing. For the purpose of a first movie in this style, say the Leader has popped up, and is maneuvering the remnants of Hydra and AIM into a three way war with SHIELD, for unknown purposes. They need Banner because the Leader is using extensive gamma tech, and apparently is trying to replicate the same experiment that created Hulk.

So Banner starts hunting down the Leader, clashing with AIM and Hydra on occasion. Leader unveils some giant robots (because Hulk smashing giant stuff is always immensely entertaining) and finishes up with unleashing his greatest success thus far: the Red Hulk. They duke it out, tear up a large portion of a city, Green Hulk eventually wins out, but Red Hulk escapes before his identity is revealed. Green Hulk captures the Leader and Banner interrogates him, tricking him into a confession revealing how the Leader manipulated AIM and Hydra. Thus, setting them after the Leader. Banner invents a device to drain the Leader of his gamma radiation, and thus, his genius, leaving him a normal dude at the mercy of two terrorist organizations.

Movie ends with SHIELD arresting Banner, backed up by Captain America convincing Banner to stand down, for the destruction he caused in his fight with Red Hulk.

After credits stinger shows Iron Man busting Banner out, and Bruce goes on the run.

Next movie, Nick Fury's tracked down Banner, and informs him they have a problem that only the Hulk can handle. After hearing about how dire it is, Banner reluctantly agrees, and they send him up to take down a satellite armed with heavy weaponry. Banner (and Hulk) complete the mission, and board the rocket intended to take them back. Instead, he gets a message from the World Council (or whatever they are) from Avengers, informing him that he is too great a threat to the planet to be allowed to continue, and attempting to kill him would be too risky, so instead they're shooting him out of the solar system. Using what they learned from the Tesseract (and thus Phase 2), they create a portal designed to shoot Hulk WAY away from the system. They don't know where it empties out, and it ends up on Sakaar.

Cue condensed Planet Hulk storyline, with the Silver Surfer making his first appearance in the MCU as the Silver Savage, and Hulk freeing him allows the Surfer to leave.

End movie right after Sakaar gets blown all to hell, with Hulk swearing vengeance on the World Council, as Caiera turns to ash in his arms.

After credits stinger shows the Silver Surfer flying into a massive ship built around a solar system, and floating in front of a large throne, kneeling to the being sitting within it, and stating that he has returned to Galactus.

Tired now. Could go on. Won't. Rant over.

Backflip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@jonsmith said:

@backflip said:

I'm okay with this idea: Say post-Avengers, Ruffalo's Banner is working alongside Stark Industries from a remote location, with SHIELD occasionally coming to him with missions that require smashing. For the purpose of a first movie in this style, say the Leader has popped up, and is maneuvering the remnants of Hydra and AIM into a three way war with SHIELD, for unknown purposes. They need Banner because the Leader is using extensive gamma tech, and apparently is trying to replicate the same experiment that created Hulk.

So Banner starts hunting down the Leader, clashing with AIM and Hydra on occasion. Leader unveils some giant robots (because Hulk smashing giant stuff is always immensely entertaining) and finishes up with unleashing his greatest success thus far: the Red Hulk. They duke it out, tear up a large portion of a city, Green Hulk eventually wins out, but Red Hulk escapes before his identity is revealed. Green Hulk captures the Leader and Banner interrogates him, tricking him into a confession revealing how the Leader manipulated AIM and Hydra. Thus, setting them after the Leader. Banner invents a device to drain the Leader of his gamma radiation, and thus, his genius, leaving him a normal dude at the mercy of two terrorist organizations.

Movie ends with SHIELD arresting Banner, backed up by Captain America convincing Banner to stand down, for the destruction he caused in his fight with Red Hulk.

After credits stinger shows Iron Man busting Banner out, and Bruce goes on the run.

Next movie, Nick Fury's tracked down Banner, and informs him they have a problem that only the Hulk can handle. After hearing about how dire it is, Banner reluctantly agrees, and they send him up to take down a satellite armed with heavy weaponry. Banner (and Hulk) complete the mission, and board the rocket intended to take them back. Instead, he gets a message from the World Council (or whatever they are) from Avengers, informing him that he is too great a threat to the planet to be allowed to continue, and attempting to kill him would be too risky, so instead they're shooting him out of the solar system. Using what they learned from the Tesseract (and thus Phase 2), they create a portal designed to shoot Hulk WAY away from the system. They don't know where it empties out, and it ends up on Sakaar.

Cue condensed Planet Hulk storyline, with the Silver Surfer making his first appearance in the MCU as the Silver Savage, and Hulk freeing him allows the Surfer to leave.

End movie right after Sakaar gets blown all to hell, with Hulk swearing vengeance on the World Council, as Caiera turns to ash in his arms.

After credits stinger shows the Silver Surfer flying into a massive ship built around a solar system, and floating in front of a large throne, kneeling to the being sitting within it, and stating that he has returned to Galactus.

Tired now. Could go on. Won't. Rant over.

I really like these ideas, I mean, I'm not huge on the idea of Red-Hulk as a rule of thumb so I'd prefer somebody else take his slot but equally, these meld nicely with continuity and I approve.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RDClip

You gotta be amazed that after all the crap, the Hulk movie franchise is still chugging along. It's like a giant monster that no matter what the world throws at it keeps going, making as much noise as possible. Like some kind of hulking monster, thats incredible.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

The Hulk should have Ang Lee design and Avengers personality. Mark Ruffalo should reprise his role as Bruce Banner.

I would like that the movie is focused on Banner triying to find his place in the world and the role that Hulk plays in this. On how he could use The Hulk to save lives and not to harm (like in The Indestructible Hulk #1).

Red Hulk should be the villain. After General Ross realizes that the only way for stoping the Hulk is with another Hulk, he decides to volunteer for an experiment and become the mighty Rulk.

They should recast Betty Ross (Live Tyler face doesn´t look like a proper Betty and Jennifer Connelly is too famous). She could be in the middle of the problem beetwen his dad and his lover. That would be interesting to see.

I will also like Doc Samson involved (he never appeared in any of the two movies) Because he is crucial character for Banner posture of the Hulk.

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@perethorn: If you're talking about appearing with powers then you're right, but Doc Samson has appeared.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like it to be similar to Indestructible Hulk where he's sent out on different missions to face GAMMA powered villains by S.H.I.E.L.D.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.