The world breaker is not the hulks limit

#1 Posted by CosmicCommonSense (71 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the writers don't want to go the route they did with the beyonder and make the hulk pretty much unbeatable by anyone I know the hulk can get stronger and stronger and eventually make world breaker look like nothing

#2 Posted by seekquaze (612 posts) - - Show Bio

And what would motivate the Hulk to these new limits of strength? The Hulk's strength has always been about motivation. He cannot will himself to whatever strength level he wants. The whole point of Pak's stories was to put Hulk through the worst trauma to reach his highest strength. Most reasonable Hulk fans I talk with claim the Hulk has the potential for unlimited strength, but there is no emotional stimuli great enough to bust galaxies.

#3 Posted by CosmicCommonSense (71 posts) - - Show Bio

the end of rage is the beginning of insanity and so many people never bring that up in terms of hulks strength I would really love too see a new incarnation maybe cosmic hulk

#4 Edited by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

And what would motivate the Hulk to these new limits of strength? The Hulk's strength has always been about motivation. He cannot will himself to whatever strength level he wants. The whole point of Pak's stories was to put Hulk through the worst trauma to reach his highest strength. Most reasonable Hulk fans I talk with claim the Hulk has the potential for unlimited strength, but there is no emotional stimuli great enough to bust galaxies.

That's debatable. We don't know exactly how Hulk's anger corresponds with strength so if someone were to slowly torture then kill everyone Hulk has ever called a friend in front of him while he can do nothing then Hulk is going to be pretty damn pissed. That could be enough to destroy a galaxy, we don't know for sure.

#5 Posted by w0nd (3422 posts) - - Show Bio

World breaker is the one we saw at the end of world war hulk right? If so does it bug you that someone that powerful was taken out rather easy? Not easy in the sense that he was beat up by someone but his footstep alone caused so much chaos, you figured he would be darn well invincible at that point.

#6 Edited by seekquaze (612 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

World breaker is the one we saw at the end of world war hulk right? If so does it bug you that someone that powerful was taken out rather easy? Not easy in the sense that he was beat up by someone but his footstep alone caused so much chaos, you figured he would be darn well invincible at that point.

Worldbreaker is sort of that. The one most people refer to was the Hulk at the end of Pak's run. Hulk is in the Dark Dimension and claims to be releasing his long pent up rage. He destroys a planet and disintegrates some of his long time foes like Wendigo and Bi-Beast with shockwaves from his fists. I wouldn't call this version of the Hulk invincible. At best, he can destroy any of his conventional opponnents. Umar was not afraid of him and easily defending herself from him. She was only annoyed. I would say anything skyfather and above could safely take this Hulk. And I still wouldn't put him beyond the realm of possibility of Dr. Strange or Silver Surfer being a match for him in some way. So he is still not invincible.

The reason he disappeared is characters that powerful never last long. They cannot be used in any story. Rune Thor was used for one story and those powers mysteriously disappeared. Omnipotent Hercules had his powers only for Chaos War. The same for numerous other characters who hit a high only to lose their powers a story or two later.

#7 Edited by GreenScar1990 (575 posts) - - Show Bio

Greg Pak stated in interviews that when Hulk goes World-Breaker that he's nearing the point that his power is becoming a cosmic force of nature. We don't really know how powerful he is in this state, but it should be remembered that Umar couldn't stop him despite being in the Dark Dimension. Powerful demon lords, mystical beings, high-end Sky-Fathers, etc. in their own realm/domain are nearly omnipotent, yet Umar's only option was to banish Hulk back to earth.

Besides, Lord Armageddon/Arma'Chedon is a Silver Surfer/Herald of Galactus powerhouse. I remember him taking down Surfer and Professor Hulk at the same time in the past. I've got scans to prove it. Yet this same powerhouse was killed and resurrected in the Dark Dimension along with the other Hulk villains.

Do I believe Hulk can exceed this power level? Yes. It's not a matter of rage, but rather the power that they, Hulk/Banner, wish to unleash. During the Heart of the Monster arc, Hulk could unleash his World-Breaker power on-and-off like a switch if he so desired.

Now, beings of Galactus, Celestials, Eternity, Infinity, Death's level of power can definitely defeat this incarnation of Hulk without a problem, but then again few could ever hope to challenge beings of this might. These cosmic entities are at universal power levels, so even beings as powerful as Hulk or Thor would be nothing more than a minor pest to them.

#8 Posted by seekquaze (612 posts) - - Show Bio

Greg Pak stated in interviews that when Hulk goes World-Breaker that he's nearing the point that his power is becoming a cosmic force of nature. We don't really know how powerful he is in this state, but it should be remembered that Umar couldn't stop him despite being in the Dark Dimension. Powerful demon lords, mystical beings, high-end Sky-Fathers, etc. in their own realm/domain are nearly omnipotent, yet Umar's only option was to banish Hulk back to earth.

Besides, Lord Armageddon/Arma'Chedon is a Silver Surfer/Herald of Galactus powerhouse. I remember him taking down Surfer and Professor Hulk at the same time in the past. I've got scans to prove it. Yet this same powerhouse was killed and resurrected in the Dark Dimension along with the other Hulk villains.

Do I believe Hulk can exceed this power level? Yes. It's not a matter of rage, but rather the power that they, Hulk/Banner, wish to unleash. During the Heart of the Monster arc, Hulk could unleash his World-Breaker power on-and-off like a switch if he so desired.

Now, beings of Galactus, Celestials, Eternity, Infinity, Death's level of power can definitely defeat this incarnation of Hulk without a problem, but then again few could ever hope to challenge beings of this might. These cosmic entities are at universal power levels, so even beings as powerful as Hulk or Thor would be nothing more than a minor pest to them.

Interviews are one thing. Writers say a lot in interviews. It is what makes in in the comic itself. I do not recall Umar being worried about the Hulk or scared. Again, she was annoyed. Given how little Umar cares about other, that it was a single planet in her vast dimension, and other factors I don't see Hulk has being close to her in power.

Surfer's power is all over the place. One story he can fly through suns and black holes and the next a falling brick lays him low. He is worse than any other character in Marvel.

For fifty plus years the Hulk's power has been tied to his motivated he is primarily tied to his rage. He has never been able to "will" his strength to whatever level he wants like you are suggesting. It would take more than one story to suggest that he can. Even in this story it was not so much Hulk willing his strength to any level he wants as finally burning out his rage.

#9 Posted by GreenScar1990 (575 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze: It's not always that simple in regards to Hulk's power and rage. It's complicated to be sure, but it has been proven that when he gets even a bit enraged his power increases exponentially. Regardless, it is the writer who determines how powerful a character is and will be. And from what Greg Pak stated in several interviews, when Hulk nears or decides to unleash his true power, he's literally becoming a cosmic force of nature.

Does that mean he can topple Galactus? No, but everyone else is pretty much screwed if they decide to take him on directly. And we're not truly certain that Umar wasn't concerned for her dimensional realm, for it appeared that she either teleported away to save herself from being killed or was killed and resurrected with the others. Then again, the reason she wasn't afraid was because she knew that no matter how many times Hulk would rip the Dark Dimension assunder and kill all of them, the magic at hand would only recreate everything again and again.

Another thing to take into account was Dr. Strange stating that once Hulk unleashed himself in the Dark Dimension, nothing there was going to survive. This coming from the Sorcerer Supreme is definitely not something to not consider and toss aside. That's for certain.

Regardless, if Hulk does achieve power levels that exceed what we've seen in HOTM, it'll probably be like that of Rune King Thor or God of Gods Hercules. It'll be a one-time power for an epic storyline. One that'll be remembered, yet one that'll most likely never be used again.

#10 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze: It's not always that simple in regards to Hulk's power and rage. It's complicated to be sure, but it has been proven that when he gets even a bit enraged his power increases exponentially. Regardless, it is the writer who determines how powerful a character is and will be. And from what Greg Pak stated in several interviews, when Hulk nears or decides to unleash his true power, he's literally becoming a cosmic force of nature.

Does that mean he can topple Galactus? No, but everyone else is pretty much screwed if they decide to take him on directly. And we're not truly certain that Umar wasn't concerned for her dimensional realm, for it appeared that she either teleported away to save herself from being killed or was killed and resurrected with the others. Then again, the reason she wasn't afraid was because she knew that no matter how many times Hulk would rip the Dark Dimension assunder and kill all of them, the magic at hand would only recreate everything again and again.

Another thing to take into account was Dr. Strange stating that once Hulk unleashed himself in the Dark Dimension, nothing there was going to survive. This coming from the Sorcerer Supreme is definitely not something to not consider and toss aside. That's for certain.

Regardless, if Hulk does achieve power levels that exceed what we've seen in HOTM, it'll probably be like that of Rune King Thor or God of Gods Hercules. It'll be a one-time power for an epic storyline. One that'll be remembered, yet one that'll most likely never be used again.

Just a slight correction, i don't think Strange was sorcerer supreme when he said that , i think he has lost that ability

#11 Posted by Fifthchild (603 posts) - - Show Bio

Worldbreaker is sort of that. The one most people refer to was the Hulk at the end of Pak's run. Hulk is in the Dark Dimension and claims to be releasing his long pent up rage. He destroys a planet and disintegrates some of his long time foes like Wendigo and Bi-Beast with shockwaves from his fists. I wouldn't call this version of the Hulk invincible. At best, he can destroy any of his conventional opponnents. Umar was not afraid of him and easily defending herself from him. She was only annoyed. I would say anything skyfather and above could safely take this Hulk. And I still wouldn't put him beyond the realm of possibility of Dr. Strange or Silver Surfer being a match for him in some way. So he is still not invincible.

He never attacked Umar so that doesnt really say anything. Of course anything could happen in a story but theres no way Surfer could take this Hulk IMO and i think he could definitely take out Skyfather level characters. Strange sometimes deals with some pretty hefty opponents but hes totally all over the place, especially these days. This was a massively powerful Hulk and i think all bets are off on what sort of attacks would and wouldnt work on him.

#12 Posted by GreenScar1990 (575 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Yes, but he was a former Sorcerer Supreme, so he should know something extremely powerful when he sees it. Besides, even when Dr. Strange was at the height of his power, Umar and Dormmamu were still even more powerful than he was... especially in the Dark Dimension.

@fifthchild Agreed. This was a Hulk of a whole new power level!

#13 Edited by BlackReaper (595 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

@seekquaze said:

That's debatable. We don't know exactly how Hulk's anger corresponds with strength so if someone were to slowly torture then kill everyone Hulk has ever called a friend in front of him while he can do nothing then Hulk is going to be pretty damn pissed. That could be enough to destroy a galaxy, we don't know for sure.

Hulk's max is world-breaker. Why? He can't punch a galaxy out of existence. He can't punch a sun either. The only physical thing he could destroy would be a planet.

#14 Posted by GreenScar1990 (575 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever.

This is comics.

The impossible becomes possible.

#15 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

@seekquaze said:

Hulk's max is world-breaker. Why? He can't punch a galaxy out of existence. He can't punch a sun either. The only physical thing he could destroy would be a planet.

Fair point about the galaxy. However, he may not be able to destroy things larger than planets but that doesn't make World Breaker his maximum.

#16 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm sure it was implied that Hulks power was limitless.

#17 Edited by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackreaper said:

@guttridgeb said:

@seekquaze said:

he can..... according to hulk fanboys and some dumb writers....

"if he gets mad enough"

he strength has no limit,

the hulk character has become nonsensical, just as silver age superman, pulling 11 planets on a string,

I dont understand how anyone with an imaginative mind could like what marvel has done with hulk

unlimited strength

unlimited stamina

unlimited rage

unlimited healing factor

what is the point of a hero with no weaknesses vague limits... why buy comic with hulk in battle when he will win 99.999999 of the time.... its a bit pointless, marvel tries to shock now and then like this new story with him supossedly lifting thors hammer, why whould he need or want to lift thors hammer if he breaks worlds with his footsteps,

hulk is becoming like goku .... a nonsensical character..

when marvel has him powerful enough to be a sun breaker or destroying galaxies what next...

fricken nonsense

#18 Edited by BlackReaper (595 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by 80sBaby (1344 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmartin: Wait a sec. Aren't you the guy who wants Thor to use his abilities like he did in the 70s-80s? Mjolnir is just as much a plot device as Hulk's dynamic strength. In fact, ALL major heroes in comics have plot device powers (i.e. Batman's prep, Superman freaking Superman, Speed Force, Will Power, etc.)

What makes Hulk's powerset any more ridiculous than the others?

#20 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@80sbaby said:

@cmartin: Wait a sec. Aren't you the guy who wants Thor to use his abilities like he did in the 70s-80s? Mjolnir is just as much a plot device as Hulk's dynamic strength. In fact, ALL major heroes in comics have plot device powers (i.e. Batman's prep, Superman freaking Superman, Speed Force, Will Power, etc.)

Cmartins logic is that Anyone who doesn't beat thor sucks and is overpowered -__-

#21 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackreaper said:

@guttridgeb said:

@seekquaze said:

Exactly. People stating that "he can destroy a galaxy" really aren't thinking too hard about what they're saying. How does Hulk beat up a star?

#22 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

@seekquaze said:

Pretty well said.He can't punch a galaxy out of existense and those who say otherwise are wrong.

#23 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@80sbaby said:

Cmartins logic is that Anyone who doesn't beat thor sucks and is overpowered -__-

dont assume thor was never limitless anything NO hero should thats why dc scaled back superman

#24 Posted by 80sBaby (1344 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackreaper said:

@guttridgeb said:

@seekquaze said:

Exactly. People stating that "he can destroy a galaxy" really aren't thinking too hard about what they're saying. How does Hulk beat up a star?

Drax tore a star in half with his bare hands. It's a comic so reality/physics don't mean anything. Hulk has also used his thunderclap to reverse a shockwave capable of destroying a galaxy.

So, it's not so much a lack of critical thinking. More like taking what we've actually seen in the comics as "factual" (as it pertains to the fictional worlds these characters inhabit and there abilities therein.)

@cmartin said:

@theacidskull said:

@80sbaby said:

dont assume thor was never limitless anything NO hero should thats why dc scaled back superman

Hulk's not limitless, either. He can be, and has been, beaten.

But, you didn't answer my question.

#25 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

@80sbaby said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@blackreaper said:

@guttridgeb said:

@seekquaze said:

Drax tore a star in half with his bare hands. It's a comic so reality/physics don't mean anything. Hulk has also used his thunderclap to reverse a shockwave capable of destroying a galaxy.

So, it's not so much a lack of critical thinking. More like taking what we've actually seen in the comics as "factual" (as it pertains to the fictional worlds these characters inhabit and there abilities therein.)

@cmartin said:

@theacidskull said:

@80sbaby said:

Hulk's not limitless, either. He can be, and has been, beaten.

But, you didn't answer my question.

hulk is very rarely straight up beaten.....

why is hulks powerset pur fanboy fantasy

limitless strength madder he gets stronger he gets so essentially if he gets mad enough he can beat anyone.....

that is complete bullshit....

allowed to beat all of earths heroes no sweat allowed to beat avengers no sweat....

formula of hulks fights

blows traded.....

hulk states now im mad.... hulk is strongest one there is

3 blows from hulk fight over

#26 Posted by GreenScar1990 (575 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem is that you have to realize that Hulk is more than just mere physical strength. His limitless power and countless incredible feats are proof of that fact. That and you're a Hulk-hating troll on the prowl that's always sticking his nose where it doesn't belong just to start a fight. I mean, honestly, Hulk is no different in comparison to that of Thor or Superman.

#27 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem is that you have to realize that Hulk is more than just mere physical strength. His limitless power and countless incredible feats are proof of that fact. That and you're a Hulk-hating troll on the prowl that's always sticking his nose where it doesn't belong just to start a fight. I mean, honestly, Hulk is no different in comparison to that of Thor or Superman.

So let me get this straight because i have my set opinions on how hulk is written that makes me a troll?

how does one fight on a message board?

I'm just stating my opinion, I talk about the hulk you are the troll,as you keep addressing me personally......

and for the record I do not hate the fiction character hulk, i just do not like what marvel has done with the character

#28 Posted by GreenScar1990 (575 posts) - - Show Bio

Right.... it's okay in your opinion for Marvel to make Thor extremely powerful, but if Hulk is made to be equally as powerful it's a crime. Yeah, that makes sense.... not.

#29 Edited by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Right.... it's okay in your opinion for Marvel to make Thor extremely powerful, but if Hulk is made to be equally as powerful it's a crime. Yeah, that makes sense.... not.

No i do not want thor all powerful........ what makes a good rivalry? when both combatants are evenly matched..... Ive stated many times I dont care who wins a thor v hulk fight as long as both combatants are shown respect and the battle is epic,

i was a major hulk fan partly still am.. until 6 yrs ago when marvel started to get dumb with hulk... and make him way overpowered

my fave hulk was prof hulk and old savage hulk...

#30 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmartin said:

@blackreaper said:

@guttridgeb said:

@seekquaze said:

he can..... according to hulk fanboys and some dumb writers....

"if he gets mad enough"

he strength has no limit,

the hulk character has become nonsensical, just as silver age superman, pulling 11 planets on a string,

I dont understand how anyone with an imaginative mind could like what marvel has done with hulk

unlimited strength

unlimited stamina

unlimited rage

unlimited healing factor

what is the point of a hero with no weaknesses vague limits... why buy comic with hulk in battle when he will win 99.999999 of the time.... its a bit pointless, marvel tries to shock now and then like this new story with him supossedly lifting thors hammer, why whould he need or want to lift thors hammer if he breaks worlds with his footsteps,

hulk is becoming like goku .... a nonsensical character..

when marvel has him powerful enough to be a sun breaker or destroying galaxies what next...

fricken nonsense

Thor

#31 Posted by GreenScar1990 (575 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever.

It's comics.

Does it matter?

Every powerhouse has a cool, extreme feat of power ever now and then.

It's nothing new.

Hulk, Thor, Superman, Silver Surfer and countless others have done it.

#32 Posted by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

It's because crybabies like this that characters like Squirrel girl are created for.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.