Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

So why does Hulk usually beat Thor?

• 134 results
    Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Thor loses because he likes to test his mettle against a stronger opponent. There are times when doesn't have time to play around and BFR's Hulk or something like that.

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Schwarz

What do you guys think of the first future imperfect Maestro and the recent spider-2099's Maestro that killed Thor and the current secret wars one where once again he defeated a Thor. Those must have been fights to the death, though we don't know the circumstances and the way he did it it still happened. (Though the current secret wars is debatable since a lot of Hulks and Thors get killed)

bonifidehustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fifthchild: Stan lee intended for thor to be the stronger/more powerful one of the two. here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEgIfpb5NHY

He also said its up to the writers so...

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whoisthebest: Stan also later said he believes that Hulk can be as powerful as Thor if he where to get real angry, so i guess he changed his mind.

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Schwarz

@whoisthebest: So if you value stan's opinion then you have to accept that Stan believes that if Hulk gets angry enough he can be as strong as Thor. Stan said a lot of things since the 70s 80s.

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Schwarz

I'm really going with Stan's opinion on this. And all the showings they have in-book and animated series. They are always shown to be on-par. We could argue forever about it but like I said i'm going to go with Stan's word and the showings. Pretty much on the same level. Someone could argue that if Hulk gets angry enough he can destroy the mutltiverse by absorbing all of its gamma energy thus killing everyone and destroying all of the Marvel universe. So yah pretty much on the same level as a god. End of story. Whatever arguments someone can throw can be ended by Hulk destroying the multiverse by getting too angry. Bam over.

PS I wonder how Maestro defeated and killed Thor and got his hammer...

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plot

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like I said Hulk can get angry to a level that the multiverse would stop to exist destroying everything.

Avatar image for underdogsupporter
    UnderdogSupporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Trying to beat Hulk at his own game is literally impossible and will likely result in a failure otherwise there are special adaptations in the opponent.

malikc6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just depends on the writer at the end of the day. If its Thor's story, Thor wins. If its Hulk's Story, he wins. For gods sake, Hulk managed to kill Thor in the Maestro timeline along with the other heroes and villains of the marvel universe.

Hulk is physically stronger (no doubt about that) than Thor, while Thor has magic, enough physical strength to hurt Hulk, has a enchanted Hammer, superior fighting ability, and a lot more at his disposal. He SHOULD be able to defeat the Hulk, but for plot reasons, it is either drawn, or the Hulk wins. There is also a scan of Thor admitting he couldn't defeat the Hulk, but this goes back to what I said originally. The writer was likely a Hulk fan.

Also, has anyone here read that complete GARBAGE on how the Red Hulk picked up Thor's hammer? How does zero gravity override magic enchantment? I also hated how he was able to take a hit to the face from Thor's hammer like it was nothing!

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

BS!!! Luckily Thor ended up getting the edge over Red Hulk before Savage Hulk said "Blonde Hair hurt Red Hulk, but Red Hulk is mine to Hurt!"

whoistheworst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By whoistheworst

thor fawt celestals and galactos so it obveous pis

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#66  Edited By Stahlflamme

@whoistheworst said:

thor fawt celestals and galactos so it obveous pis

Yeah, Thor should be dead in a second against those.

whoistheworst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: i get me info from wiki so i write and u rong and u fanboy since u disgree with me

Hyperion_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk is stronger than Thor. Thor is more powerful and more experienced as a fighter but Hulk's strength can increase beyond Thor's if he's mad enough. Hulk was able to crack open Onslaught when Thor couldn't. In Avengers# 6 Thor (without his hammer) got his ass whupped by Hyperion

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk is stronger than Thor. Thor is more powerful and more experienced as a fighter but Hulk's strength can increase beyond Thor's if he's mad enough. Hulk was able to crack open Onslaught when Thor couldn't. In Avengers# 6 Thor (without his hammer) got his ass whupped by Hyperion

not bad

syncroniam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By syncroniam

She-Hulk is by default the strongest person on the good side of Marvel universe, so Hulk is the second strongest most likely

No Caption Provided

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At base Thor is stronger or equally strong vut Hulk has.more over all strength. Thor is much mire.powerful and better fighter if not holding back Thor wins the majority. Thor has killed hulk and one shotted hulk the hulk has never ine shottted Thor. Not holding back Thor is above hulk pretty simple as to why. Popularity mainly is the reason and the writer. That whole maestro story line was as many elude a hulk writer fan who pretty much no sold Thor. The main reason however is truly a clear winner will never happen they dont want a real winner. Nor in truth should there be

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By AtheistKnowledge

@destinyman75: There is no such thing as base Hulk. Hulk has one-shotted Thor a couple of times already, Thor has never actually one-shotted Hulk and the only time Thor killed Hulk is in a alternative storyline where he was amped by the Odin Force. The Maestro storyline was done by Peter David who happens to be one of the most respected writers in the entire industry and not just a "fan" who no sold Thor. Thor has stopped holding back against Hulk on at least 4 different occasions and the outcome wasn't much different to their normal fights.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I came to the view that Hulk would mostly beat Thor because Hulk is more durable and his power set is tailor made for physical confrontations. Thor's tendency to duke it out with his foes only plays into Hulk's hands and Hulk's defence can outlast Thor's offence.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I came to the view that Hulk would mostly beat Thor because Hulk is more durable and his power set is tailor made for physical confrontations. Thor's tendency to duke it out with his foes only plays into Hulk's hands and Hulk's defence can outlast Thor's offence.

That's how i see it as well. In many of their confrontations, Thor has never actually managed to knock out Hulk with physical force, while Hulk has on several occasions either with his fists or ironically by using Thors own hammer, so there is no question who has the better defense against blunt force trauma.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

That's how i see it as well. In many of their confrontations, Thor has never actually managed to knock out Hulk with physical force, while Hulk has on several occasions either with his fists or ironically by using Thors own hammer, so there is no question who has the better defense against blunt force trauma.

Thor has good energy and temperature durability but he's surprisingly vulnerable to blunt force trauma compared to Hulk or Superman. So that's another way Hulk wins over Thor.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

#76  Edited By KrleAvenger

Because he is the strongest one there is. Only logical explanation really. No argument there LOL.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By AtheistKnowledge

@lvenger said:
    @atheistknowledge said:
    @lvenger said:

Thor has good energy and temperature durability but he's surprisingly vulnerable to blunt force trauma compared to Hulk or Superman. So that's another way Hulk wins over Thor.

Yea, his energy and temperature durability is up there, but his durability to physical attacks just isn't.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Funny how he tanks planet busting energy attacks yet he is hurt by below planetary blunt force.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By AtheistKnowledge

@krleavenger: When has Thor tanked planet busting energy attacks?

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
    @atheistknowledge said:
    @lvenger said:

Yea, his energy and temperature durability is up there, but his durability to physical attacks just isn't.

Exactly despite what some fans might say.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7a162f64fe5
    deactivated-5a7a162f64fe5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard Thor and Hulk were originally about equal in strength, but that Marvel now feels Hulk is stronger, but Thor is more powerful.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: You have the scan at least? It's not the one with the planet busting missile i hope...

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: Well that is one I was talking about. Why is there context? I haven't read the issue.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: Yea, he basically went through the missile before it detonated and avoided the explosion itself and the only thing he got hit by was the shockwave.

He also barely survived it and was knocked out as a result.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: Bruh. Well he also tanked blasts from Thanos, Surfer, Star Brand... The problem is, no evidence to prove they were hitting him with planet busting energy blasts so it kinda doesn't prove much.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: There is another example when Thor tanked the energy field from an amped Thanosii who was firing planet busting energies at another planet.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By KrleAvenger

@lvenger: But that blast damaged him quite well.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: Yea pretty much, i mean Carol tanked blasts from all 3 of those people as well and i really doubt any one of them hit her with the force to bust a planet. I don't think there is a single instance where Thor has undoubtedly tanked a legit planet busting energy attack. Nothing even like the time Hulk tanked attacks from Galaxy Master who was a casual planet buster yet was exerting himself trying to put Hulk down but couldn't do so, until he resulted to using gas.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By KrleAvenger

@atheistknowledge: Yeah I know that scan. He used gas. However an argument can be made that Star Brand hit Thor with planet busting blast because not only it sent charging Hulk into orbit (did not hurt him) but it also made Hyperion scream so it could be on the level high enough to bust the planet. But not only it is debatable but if we do not found other feats which are legit and are without any special context, the Star Brand feat is inconsistent then.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Was that when Thor had the belt of strength, armor and gauntlents?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: Just checked and Thor was tanking the blast before receiving the items Odin enchanted and sent to him.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Yea but that's the energy field, not the planet busting attack the Thanosii is launching, it's even represented in another color.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: Fair point, but some might argue the energy field is linked to Thanos' energy output and that there was no difference.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Even then you could only argue that he got hit by an uknown fraction of that energy, not the whole thing as the main power output was obviously directed at the planet the Thanosii was attacking.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: Those are some good counter points, they're making me reconsider my stance on that feat.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: That's how i see it, otherwise you could make the argument that the Thanosii was delivering 2 different planet busting attacks at the same time, which make him a completely different beast. On top of that the planet wasn't busted instantaneously even with the main attack, in fact is there any confirmation that the planet got completely destroyed? The Thanosii was delivering that attack continuously for a long period of time and got interrupted by Thor half way.

It might look like i am being nitpicky, but both you and me have seen the difference between attacks that instantly bust a planet and those take a continuous stream of energy attack to do so and honestly there is a big difference between the 2, because i would argue that the attack the Thanosii delivered is maybe continent busting if it's only delivered in a short burst, or maybe i am getting too ahead of myself?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Lvenger

@atheistknowledge: I thought the scan where the Recorder states the number of lives lost showed the planet getting destroyed.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: It seems to me like only part of it is getting destroyed, otherwise whats the Thanosii shooting at for half the comic if he busted the planet right then and there? Did he move onto another planet? I don't have the issue and i haven't read the story so i only interpret what i saw so far.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By destinyman75

@atheistknowledge: Peter David also a "hulk" writer I disagree entirely but its ok to agree to disagree. Soon as thor said enough then it was enough

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.