So Who Won? ( Hulk VS Hyperion : Spoilers from Avengers #3)

#1 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Since Hickman had been pretty much hinting that Hyperion was going to be the biggest gun on the team , so i was kind of expecting hype to roflstomp the hulk, but the two seemed pretty even, and it seemed that after hulks mind control was broken he just reverted back to banner. i just want to hear your thoughts.

Though Hype will probably beat Hulk Later on into the series.

#2 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think we can safely say that either of them had a clear advantage, only four blows were exchanged.

#3 Posted by Fifthchild (618 posts) - - Show Bio

From the preview page that was released ages ago showing Hype standing over Banner, fist cocked, smiling and the early reports of people at CBR ("OMG Hyperion punched Hulk back into Banner!!!") I thought the ole Hulkster was going to get utterly thrashed.

As it was it seemed like a very cool (loved Hypes eyebeams driving Hulk across the desert), if brief back and forth before the mind control got broken and Banner came back (and to my surprise i think the comic was fairly clear in showing that thats what happened). I do think there were definitely meant to be more than 4 blows though. Thats just the snippets of a pretty even tussle that we saw.

At any rate Hyperion looked good and not like the jobber-Hyperion/s we have seen in the past. Now i'm looking forward to seeing further issues with Hulk, Thor and Superman on the same Avengers team! :-o

#4 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb said:

I don't think we can safely say that either of them had a clear advantage, only four blows were exchanged.

well, there were more but we didn't get to seem them

#5 Posted by GreenScar1990 (597 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull said:

Since Hickman had been pretty much hinting that Hyperion was going to be the biggest gun on the team , so i was kind of expecting hype to roflstomp the hulk, but the two seemed pretty even, and it seemed that after hulks mind control was broken he just reverted back to banner. i just want to hear your thoughts.

Neither.

Hulk was being controlled and fought the new Supreme Hyperion to a standstill until Thor blasted the villains with a massive thunderbolt, resulting in the villainous female losing her control over Hulk who then reverts back to Banner.

Overall, neither of these two powerhouses won.

But judging from the blows that each delivered, Hulk was definitely more than capable of taking Supreme Hyperion down if he would decide to really cut loose like Pak's Green Scar incarnation would.

#6 Posted by Fifthchild (618 posts) - - Show Bio

Agree that they looked pretty evenly matched and i think that sort of back and forth sequence that we got - Hulk attacks, Hype attacks, Hulk attacks, Hype attacks - is supposed to sell that idea.

Quite a few people seem to have gone with the idea that Hype beats Hulk back into Banner form but i thought it was pretty clear:

1. Thor hits all the villains with lightning, knocking them down.
  2. Abyss says "I've lost him".
  3. We see Hype punching Hulk.
  4. Suddenly we see Banner in front of Hype saying "Oh...Oh...".
  5. Hype asks "Feeling better?" To which Banner replies "I'm OK"
#7 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@King-Stranglehold da first said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

I must admit current Hulk is getting stronger and stronger. IMHO Current Hulk>Classic Hulk.

yup, savage hulk is very strong in comparison to his older self.

#8 Posted by King-Stranglehold da first (3260 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

I must admit current Hulk is getting stronger and stronger. IMHO Current Hulk>Classic Hulk.

Yep..But I don't think Hulk is savage anymore.

#9 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

Yep..But I don't think Hulk is savage anymore.

well , he is in avenges, but according to MW, he will be speaking in indestructible.

#10 Posted by CBninja (168 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that the fight between Hulk and Hyperion was awesome. Evenly matched and I think it showed pretty clearly why Hulk reverted back to Banner when Hype punched him. Also it seemed Banner was just fine to.

#11 Edited by Lvenger (20757 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on the 4 images available on Comicvine:

It looks like a pretty close fight. Hype did give Hulk a black eye and a laser vision pwnage, both of which are impressive feats but Hulk didn't look down for the count either. And of course the fight ended before a winner could be decided (What a shocker) but it was a very good fight IMO.

#12 Posted by Fifthchild (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Based on the 4 images available on Comicvine:

It looks like a pretty close fight. Hype did give Hulk a black eye and a laser vision pwnage, both of which are impressive feats but Hulk didn't look down for the count either. And of course the fight ended before a winner could be decided (What a shocker) but it was a very good fight IMO.

Hmmm, pretty sure the black eyes were just Hulk's "mind-controlled eyes" as seen here:

Which now that i think about it seems like another obvious Avengers movie nod.

#13 Posted by Lvenger (20757 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fifthchild: Ah I mistook the black mind controlled eye for a bruise Hyperion inflicted. Nice observation proving me wrong there.

#14 Posted by Fifthchild (618 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@Fifthchild: Ah I mistook the black mind controlled eye for a bruise Hyperion inflicted. Nice observation proving me wrong there.

No worries man. I thought the same thing at first i.e. that his eyes were closed and blackened/bruised.

It looks quite weird since he gave Hulk such big, bulging, bug eyes in some panels.

#15 Posted by krauser99 (826 posts) - - Show Bio

It appears that Hype has the advantage he KO's Hulk as she notices she no longer has control over him since he's unconscious? Thus he reverts to Banner.

#16 Posted by Oscars94 (2582 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Those scans are AWESOME! (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

#17 Posted by GreenScar1990 (597 posts) - - Show Bio

@krauser99:

Wrong. When the villainess said "I've lost him.", she and the other villains were struck down by a massive thunderbolt from Thor. Once she lost her control over Hulk, he reverted to Banner. The fight ended in stalemate, with Savage Hulk and Supreme Hyperion evenly matched.

#18 Posted by Oscars94 (2582 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it hilarious that when Hulk punched Thor once there was so much hate for it. Every one was like "Thor's stronger it's PIS!" This caused "ye old Thor vs Hulk" fan war. However when Hyperion and Hulk seem evenly matched everyone's like "Hyperion was meant to be the Avengers Big Gun, Hulk and his fight was a stalemate, Has Hulk got a power upgrade?" Why can't people just enjoy characters for the sake of characters. I read Avengers because I like the whole team dynamic. In my eyes we just have a mixture of powerful members who seek out to fight evil not compare their stats. The sole reason I was looking forward to the Avengers movie since the credits of Iron Man was the fact that I knew when the Avengers Initiative was mentioned these characters will be in the same movie! Heroes are always portrayed as stronger in their solo movies. In team movies you need to slightly water-down their abilities to actually make the threat seem more dangerous. However I loved how Joss Whedon didn't make any of them hold back too much. I wasn't expecting the Hyperion vs Hulk fight but I really enjoyed it. Hickman seems to be writing by the fans for the fans! Who else thinks he's doing a great job? I like the big roster also.

#19 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think we can draw any valid conclusions from their fight. Its possible that Hulk was being amped by Abyss and it ended too soon anyway.

#20 Posted by TheGodofThunder (599 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the mind control was severed after thor hit everyone with lightning? I haven't read the issue but saw someone say that in another forum.

#21 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (944 posts) - - Show Bio

@Oscars94: NICE. You've officially changed my perspective on team books 0.0... kudos sir ^_^

#22 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33949 posts) - - Show Bio

@GreenScar1990 said:

@TheAcidSkull said:

Neither.

Hulk was being controlled and fought the new Supreme Hyperion to a standstill until Thor blasted the villains with a massive thunderbolt, resulting in the villainous female losing her control over Hulk who then reverts back to Banner.

Overall, neither of these two powerhouses won.

But judging from the blows that each delivered, Hulk was definitely more than capable of taking Supreme Hyperion down if he would decide to really cut loose like Pak's Green Scar incarnation would.

That's not Supreme Hyperion

#24 Posted by cmartin (345 posts) - - Show Bio

can thor do anything but shoot lightening these days

#25 Posted by GreenScar1990 (597 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: It's not King Hyperion, but he wasn't as powerful as many believed. Just because he was bad powerful in his universe, doesn't mean he was jack squat in the Marvel-616 universe. The Juggernaut (depowered) and the Thunderbolts bested him.

And I think this Hyperion, in Hickman's Avengers, is the new Supreme Hyperion. At the back of Avengers #3, it says Next Issue: Hyperion Supreme. Don't believe me? Go check it out.

#26 Edited by Saren (25903 posts) - - Show Bio

When people say "Supreme Hyperion", they presumably mean Hyperion from the Supreme Power universe. We know that Hickman's Hyperion is not the same character because his origin story is radically different. The phrase "Hyperion Supreme" is a reference to pretty much every Hyperion's association with the Squadron Supreme concept.

Moderator Online
#27 Posted by Fifthchild (618 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33949 posts) - - Show Bio

@GreenScar1990: @CitizenBane said:

When people say "Supreme Hyperion", they presumably mean Hyperion from the Supreme Power universe. We know that Hickman's Hyperion is not the same character because his origin story is radically different. The phrase "Hyperion Supreme" is a reference to pretty much every Hyperion's association with the Squadron Supreme concept.

pretty much this

#29 Posted by mace11 (255 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: It's not King Hyperion, but he wasn't as powerful as many believed. Just because he was bad powerful in his universe, doesn't mean he was jack squat in the Marvel-616 universe. The Juggernaut (depowered) and the Thunderbolts bested him.

I DISAGREE.

There was a reason he was taken down so there is more to it then what you saying.

King hyperion was really powerful.

He is more powerful then the new marvel hyperion.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.