Planet Hulk movie ?

#1 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

will marvel take him to sakaar and bring the sakaar son to cinemas anytime soon

#2 Posted by JonSmith (4000 posts) - - Show Bio

They've stated that the earliest Hulk will be getting ANY type of solo movie will be after Avengers 2. They weren't really prepared for the Hulk's awesome reception from Avengers, hence the lack of incorporating him into Phase 2.

As for a Planet Hulk movie to work, given how cosmic Phase 2 is stated to be, with Guardians of the Galaxy, a more space faring Thor, and Thanos as the main bad guy for Avengers 2, I wouldn't put it past them to make a live action Planet Hulk.

However, that would entail doing a World War Hulk movie next, which would take at LEAST the full Avengers 2 cast, in addition to any other heroes introduced in Phase 3.

Hell, perhaps that's the plan and Hulk is the main bad guy for Avengers 3.

Though I hope not.

#3 Posted by PunyBanner (111 posts) - - Show Bio

Though the Planet Hulk story would make a good (if very very derivative) film I don't see it happening with the Mark Ruffalo Hulk because Banner barely makes an appearance on Sakaar. Ruffalo was the best thing about the Avengers Hulk IMO.

I WOULD definitely like to see the Hulk as the Avengers antagonist in some way, however.

#4 Posted by GreenScar1990 (597 posts) - - Show Bio

A faithful adaptation of Planet Hulk?

Yes, I would love to see it happen.

And, please, don't give me the "it won't happen 'cause Mark Ruffalo/Banner would hardly appear in it and he was the best part" excuse.

It's bad enough that I, and many others, have to deal with Mark Waid's lackluster series that focuses too much on Banner (and not that good IMHO). We don't need Banner grabbing all the spotlight in every form of media.

#5 Posted by Bezza (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes please! Planet Hulk IMO is the best Marvel graphic novel ever.

and PunyBanner you are right. All the way through the Avengers my 8 year old daughter kept tapping me "When is the Hulk going to appear?" For many people the movie only got going once Banner changed into Hulk and went after Black Widow!

#6 Posted by PunyBanner (111 posts) - - Show Bio

A faithful adaptation of Planet Hulk?

Yes, I would love to see it happen.

And, please, don't give me the "it won't happen 'cause Mark Ruffalo/Banner would hardly appear in it and he was the best part" excuse.

It's bad enough that I, and many others, have to deal with Mark Waid's lackluster series that focuses too much on Banner (and not that good IMHO). We don't need Banner grabbing all the spotlight in every form of media.

I have yet to read the Waid stuff so cannot comment on that; I just find that the character works best when Banner and Hulk are splitting the time. Greg Pak didn't have enough Banner, Bruce Jones didn't have enough Hulk. It's a balancing act IMO, and without the Jeckyll & Hyde aspect the character does not interest me as much.

#7 Posted by RaynorJ (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as i would love to see a Planet Hulk movie i have to wonder how successful it would actually be. And i am not sure it would do very good. John Carter which had pretty much the same premise failed a lot and it was actually a decent flick nothing really wrong with it, there was no reason to bomb at the box office. The second thing is the movie Gladiator that everyone would compare it to and bitch about it being a copycat.

The Jeckyll and Hyde aspect worked a few decades back, it doesn't anymore IMO. If the writers are willing to give a confidant Banner similar to Mark Ruffalos and/or Greg Paks i would have a problem with Banner sharing equal time with Hulk but that whole man vs monster aspect is really stale and overdone. Mark Waids Banner started off like this but he is all over the place as of recent and on top of it all there is just not enough Hulk action and Hulk characterization to satisfy a Hulk fan.

#8 Posted by Bezza (3732 posts) - - Show Bio

For a film where you are trying to appeal to the masses, not just Hulk fans, I think you do need that interaction between Banner and Hulk...people like to see the transformation from Banner to Hulk. Whether Planet Hulk would work is therefore open to question, but as a Hulk fan I would love to see it happen!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.