Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7768 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

No -Size- Advantage For Hulk ?

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Erkan12

I see many comments about Hulk in battle forums, but none of them mentions about his serious size advantage.

For example, Hank Pym & Giganta, only power they have is increasing their size. I mean if it is not worthy to mention, why they are special to Marvel and DC universe ?

In slugfests against regular sized likes Superman, Thor etc.

No Caption Provided

I believe Hulk has serious size advantage, however I didn't see any one talked about this before,

Why Hulk has size advantage ?

This video can be perfect example for this, Thor's strength is not much lesser than Hulk here, he should have hold his own against Hulk for a while. But usually he fails about that. Why ? Because Thor's punches are too small for Hulk, while all Hulk's punches are more effective not like there is a great difference in strength, it is because their sizes. (Also thats why Thor need the mjolnir against Hulk)

Lets say Sup's or Thor's fists occupies 10 cm space, while Hulk's fist occupies 30 cm (or more), thats why I believe Hulk can be more effective and destructive.

Another example, Hulk lifting the mountain and saving other heroes ;

No Caption Provided

People like heavyhitters, such as Thor or Herc. can lift this as well, but they can't save these people because of their small size, however Hulk with his big size manage to save them since he occupies much more space than Sups, Thor or Herc etc.

And this is also important on durability as well,

Since Hulk's size is bigger as well as his arms, legs, stem, head etc. You need to work harder for destroying it. Lets say you have pierced Hulk body with your arm, that will only work on Hulk as smaller wound than any normal sized human. However, in the same condition, Hulk would be much more destructive on a regular sized person due to his bigger fists and arms.

I want to hear other opinions as well, is there any size advantage or not ?

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By thedailybagel

There's a slight advantage but nothing too drastic. At times it can even hinder him since high tier street levellers can just dodge his punches and jump on his back etc because of his size.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a slight advantage but nothing too drastic. At times it can even hinder him since high teir street levellers can just dodge his punches and jump on his back etc because of his size.

Agreed.

sacredweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sacredweapons

In some sorts of fighting size is good. In wrestling,ufc,boxing its bad It all depends on how you fight. And the hulk is basically a brawler so not always advantage.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rogueshadow  Moderator

@thitiki said:

@thedailybagel said:

There's a slight advantage but nothing too drastic. At times it can even hinder him since high teir street levellers can just dodge his punches and jump on his back etc because of his size.

Agreed.

Plus, characters like Thor have their strength concentrated over a smaller surface area, potentially doing more damage. But even then, when dealing with such vastly strong beings, the advantage isn't that significant.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Hulk's size is more of a hinderance for him. It makes him slow and sluggish. Some of the more agile parties like wolverine and spiderman often edges over hulk due to this.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk's size is more of a hinderance for him. It makes him slow and sluggish. Some of the more agile parties like wolverine and spiderman often edges over hulk due to this.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lowlaville: it's not always him being sluggish though. He's very fast (faster than spiderman, wolverine etc) and him struggling with street levellers is more to help the plot, though I wouldn't go as far to call it "PIS" since it happens all the time. Whenever it's key to helping wolverines story they always have a decent fight with him constantly dodging hulks attacks and hulk trying to bring him down. When it's the other way round hulk always swats him away and deals with him easily.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@lowlaville: it's not always him being sluggish though. He's very fast (faster than spiderman, wolverine etc) and him struggling with street levellers is more to help the plot, though I wouldn't go as far to call it "PIS" since it happens all the time. Whenever it's key to helping wolverines story they always have a decent fight with him constantly dodging hulks attacks and hulk trying to bring him down. When it's the other way round hulk always swats him away and deals with him easily.

Of course. I'm not saying Hulk is weak or telling him off. He is in a tier where he can effortlessly kill entire planets worth of superhuman as if they are nothing more than fodder. It may even be that Hulk is usually used as a plot device, but to help other characters development. For instance, Wolverine is hardly in a tier where he can be called slow. On a good day, he'll put to shame some of the fastest guys. The same with Spiderman.

In Peter's case, I believe its his intellect combined with his superhuman agility and speed that helps him shepherd Hulk. lol Of course Hulk is faster otherwise but his sense of reason in Hulk mode is often also to blame for his sluggish reactions. Hulk is usually disturbed by sounds, light and motion. These factors all lead to his often weaker showings in terms of speed anyway.

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By NighThunder

I don't think i gives him any sort of major advantage. As faster, smaller characters can simply dogdge around his hits more easily. Then only time I think it'd help would be against someone who doesn't have any serious speed and is smaller than him.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DarthAznable

I also think his size will help contribute to his durability as well. The area they hit won't have the same amount of overall impact. Even with heavy hitters like thor or supes. His overall size shouldn't give him too much of an advantage to really make him that much better. It's almost a double edged sword. Hulk has good reflexes but most people who are smaller will always have better maneuverability. If he hits them though, he will be able to produce more force on their body thanks to his gigantic size mixed also with his strength.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk is faster but not more agile than most mostly for plot so he doesn't kill most of the heroes

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12: i kinda disagree with what you say about hulk lifting that mountain. if the mountain was thrown to superman by molecule man, superman could catch it on the air via flying. hercules is as talk as the hulk, he could accomplish that feat, but not easily. Thor could do it via flying.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It would be just a slight advantage nothing major really, as others have mentioned before Hulk's size can be a hindrance sometimes (Logan, pete), as far as Thor and Supes they have more versatility as far as powers and offensive options rather than just brawling.

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

We live in a world where most people automatically believe the bigger person can beat the smaller person

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

@raynorj: just like Galactus beats up Moleman

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12: everything you said technically makes sense, but Thor and superman are strong and durable enough to make up for that size advantage, especially with mjolnir. But there was a time when Thor fought hulk without mjolnir and was beaten, so you were right about that as well.

But generally it is a small advantage that doesn't have that much affect on a fight.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..hmm, in superhero world I am not sure it is much of an advantage, obviously for normal human beings, usually the bigger guy beats up the littler guy, but a skilful little guy can obviously beat up an unskilled fat slob!

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Erkan12

I have found another perfect example for this. MMH was changing his hand into bigger one ;

No Caption Provided

Which means, with bigger arm you can make it bigger impact.

ilikedonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, size is an advantage. It makes ya hit harder an' all 'a that. Those who calls it a hindrance dunno what they're talkin' about.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.