Mystery Art Challenge - Hulk and a...?

Posted by G-Man (34236 posts) - - Show Bio

At most comic conventions Comic Vine attends, we usually conduct the Mystery Art Challenge. For those that don't know, this involves comic book artist accepting a drawing challenge that will be filmed. Each challenge involves a common comic book character along with a random object.

While the artists do agree to partake in the challenge, they have no idea what it will involve. When you see them introduced and given the challenge, that is the first time they hear the details and they get seconds to come up with their own interpretation.

Because WonderCon 2013 took place during Easter weekend, there had to be an Easter theme. Because Hulk hasn't been used so far, he seemed to be the perfect candidate to go along with an Easter egg.

Hopefully you enjoy seeing what Peter Nguyen, Ray-Anthony Height, Joel Gomez, Brian Buccellato and Todd Nauck came up with. If it wasn't for these guys, we wouldn't have videos like this. Make sure you support what they're working on.

Staff
#1 Edited by Mucklefluga (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeesssss my favourite type of video from Comic Vine !!!

How long does it roughly take for the artist to draw a sketch?

#2 Edited by CitizenJP (597 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha this was a really good one. I liked Ray-Anthony Height's picture the most.

#3 Edited by hyenascar (194 posts) - - Show Bio

Well done, and fun. mmmmmmmmmmmmm, eggs.

#4 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

very cool, i like seeing the variation of styles on the art challenges

#5 Edited by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

SO freaking awesome!

#6 Edited by JimboMCMXC (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Loving Todd Naucks. Awesome idea guys!

#7 Edited by G-Man (34236 posts) - - Show Bio

@mucklefluga: It varies. Anywhere from 5-20 minutes. These probably where closer to 10 or under.

Staff
#8 Edited by papad1992 (6829 posts) - - Show Bio

LOVE Todd Nauck and Ray Anthony Height's sketches!!

#9 Posted by Mandrewgora (297 posts) - - Show Bio

ohh my most favorite content.

#10 Posted by CosmicCommonSense (71 posts) - - Show Bio

hulk and a xanax

#11 Posted by NICKXH (248 posts) - - Show Bio

What's up with the dubstep?

#12 Posted by -The Renegade- (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Man I love these videos

#13 Edited by ejalife (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there a gallery/ies with the drawings from each mystery art challenge? If not, there should be one

#14 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2244 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man Hey G-Man, remember when I told you at WonderCon that I couldn't find any artists at the WonderCon I wanted to get commissions from? I was wrong. Man, wish I had seen this video first. Or spent more time looking around the artist alley. Darn it.

#15 Edited by Shatterstar (4547 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing watching these guys work.

#16 Edited by G-Man (34236 posts) - - Show Bio

@ejalife: I always post the scans in the weekend's Awesome Art Picks article. So you'll see them this Saturday. I also add them to the artists' gallery but just in the regular art section. If you do a video search for 'Mystery Art Challenge,' you should be able to find the others. Or look through the "Events" videos on the video page.

Staff
#17 Edited by cbishop (8215 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm always amazed when some of the artists come up with very similar pictures - like in this one, two artists did the Hulk busting out of an Easter egg. That's just kind of cool.

#18 Posted by Mezmero (932 posts) - - Show Bio

These are always awesome and depressing at the same time. I could never imagine being able to draw so well.

#19 Posted by Overlander (521 posts) - - Show Bio

Todd Nauck FTW!

#20 Posted by JayDubya (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not flip the image 180 degrees when they're drawing to get the right perspective?

I tend to hold my iPad upside down when watching the video.

#21 Edited by G-Man (34236 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaydubya: I use a monopod. It'd be a little hard to flip the cameral upside down. I'd probably smack someone with the monopod. But this is the perspective you get standing on the other side of their tables at cons. Sometimes going behind them is an option but seems better to keep it all consistent.

Staff
#22 Posted by SpitfireINK (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Ray-Anthony Height = for the Win!

#23 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that a lot of the artist used color on there pics. So that's what brain b looks like. I didn't know he could draw also. Cool techno while he was drawing. Joel had the one I liked the most but haieght also had a good imagination. I was really distrackted by that booster gold babe walking behind joel. Where is that money hungry mahmod astar? He probably would not do it because he would have had to have done it for free.

#24 Edited by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

Another round of mystery art challenge. Love it! One of the best things on CV. This time my favorite is RAH and his Hulk with bunny ears - nice idea and interesting perspective.

#25 Posted by The_Vein (167 posts) - - Show Bio

The best Comic Vine content there is.

#26 Edited by gumflabica (2240 posts) - - Show Bio

hooray! easter hulk dubstep!

#27 Posted by Grimoire (543 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a great video. Thanks

#28 Posted by tim_mik (120 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by glfmntn (9 posts) - - Show Bio

These videos are always cool to see. All the guys are crazy talented. I always like seeing Brian doing his coloring.

#30 Edited by CrazyScarecrow (1352 posts) - - Show Bio

@mucklefluga: As a aspiring comic artist I can tell you for my own characters usually a minute or two. For other characters such as Superman or Batman about 6 to 8 minutes. Then again every artist is different so time my vary.

#31 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Ray Anthony Height's made me laugh the hardest. To him goes the victory I say!

#32 Posted by JayDubya (6 posts) - - Show Bio
@g_man said:

@jaydubya: I use a monopod. It'd be a little hard to flip the cameral upside down. I'd probably smack someone with the monopod.

I like the fact that you're more a practical effects guy, but there's something like post-processing. Will save people from bloody noses and black eyes.

#33 Posted by RedR0bin (72 posts) - - Show Bio

All the art is amazing. This made me go back and watch older art challenges and I noticed that Gomez like to draw people busting out of things lol.

#34 Edited by notorious_g3 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Great video, Tony! Never stop doing these!

#35 Posted by Raw_Material (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

Nicee, back for more Art Challenges!

My top 3 are:

1. Ray-Anthony Height
  2. Brain Bucellato
  3. Todd Nauck

Honorable Mention(s):

Peter Nyugen

Joel Gomez

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.