Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7769 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Mark Ruffalo Talks the Hulk and Avengers Movies

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
     This is a very
     This is a very "Hamlet" pose for Mr. Ruffalo. Definitely has the brooding.

The Hulk as this generation’s Hamlet? The jade giant has enjoyed a real variety of interpretations. Could you picture him in a frock, waxing philosophic to the skull of “poor Yorick?” Nah… let's not get too literal. But Mark Ruffalodid describe his new part as such to Empire recently.

"The way I see it, Edward Norton has bequeathed this role to me. I reckon the part is my generation's Hamlet, and there's still some room for interpreting who The Hulk is."

I’d say that’s a fair assessment. People often lose sight of how Shakespeare was a populist entertainer in his day.  Performances at the Globe Theater might actually be pretty comparable to today’s TV feed.  Bruce Banner does has all the angst, tortured motivations and Daddy issues that defined the tragic prince of Denmark.  Oddly enough I remember reading an interview with Kevin Conroy where he says he got the part of Batman because, at his audition, he told the animators that their description of Bruce Wayne sounded a lot like Hamlet to him.   

Ruffalo also dropped some hints about the direction Marvel movies are going to take after the AVENGERS movie gets rolling (and how timely is this, given G-Man’s Off My Mind today?) == TEASER ==

"They set up several pictures over a couple of years and possibly there will be a Hulk movie. There'll probably be a couple more Avengers too, which would be fun."

He's just waiting...    
    He's just waiting...    

Obviously, it’s a given that there are going to be more AVENGERS movie, but how interested would you be in seeing solo movies after the characters have assembled so spectacularly? I wonder if it might seem a bit too reductive for casual audiences. You just got all these heroes in a single movie, now you've got to settle for one at a time again? Though, there are a few loose threaders still dangling from the end of the INCREDIBLE HULK... like "Mr. Blue" transforming into the Leader. I doubt that'd be resolved in the team movie, so where else would it be addressed if not another solo movie? 

Anyway, I think all these comparisons of superheroes to Hamlet gives a little more credence to that “first action hero” scene from LAST ACTION HERO, don't you agree?   

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of    HYBRID BASTARDS!  &   UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here   & here.

ateygheyev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ateygheyev

Nice.

gambit987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gambit987

i WANT A NEW HULK MOVIE

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @gambit987 said:
    " i WANT A NEW HULK MOVIE "
    I second that motion XD
    ckal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ckal

He's going to be awesome as Banner/Hulk.

All I gotta say is...Bring on more HULK SMASH!

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Video_Martian

I wanna see the Leader in another Hulk movie! =D

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tonis

I think the interest will always be there, those who like their characters enough will wade through the cream and the crap to get more story. What may make more sense after Avengers for Marvel is a diversification between TV/Movie/Direct to DVD/Webisode approach. It won't make sense to make everything into a movie anymore than it would to make every idea into a series. 

That's why we have minis, and one-shots with comics, this is just them in the brave new media world.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By TheMess1428

HULK vs LEADER! Go!

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

It'll be interesting to see how Marvel handles solo movies after such an ambitious project like The Avengers. I really hope they give Ruffalo a chance to interpret Banner in a solo movie. I'd now say HULK SMASH but that seems tacky
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jordanstine

It was funny coz I just saw Mark Ruffalo on Reservation Road just last night. 

It was a great performance, and it was a great movie. 

Jennifer Connelly and Juaquin Pheonix are top notch too! 

Yay for no more rewrite dramas for The Hulk! 

Speaking of sequels, I wouldn't mind seeing Jennifer Walters (aka She-Hulk) make a cameo in the next film.  A short five second scene would do :) 

She doesn't even have to turn green.
    She doesn't even have to turn green.
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @gambit987 said:
    "i WANT A NEW HULK MOVIE "

You forgot to say a GOOD one.
    rlmay3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By rlmay3

Hulk be or Hulk not be. That question is.

countvontrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By countvontrey

Hulk's next solo movie    
    Hulk's next solo movie    
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Gambit1024

I'd be cool with another Hulk. TIH was really good and probably the best interpretation of the character so far. Hopefully Ruffallo stays on board for more than one movie though      -_-

Mumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mumbles

hamlet trailer was classic

countvontrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By countvontrey
    @Mumbles said:
    " hamlet trailer was classic "
    I love that movie.
    Comicgirl93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Comicgirl93

This third Hulk movie better be good! ;) I look forward to a good hulk movie! :D

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By InnerVenom123

'Incredible Hulk' was good, what are you guys talking about?

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bruce Vain

Ha Ha  

Tom , I'm glad that I'm not the only jock, who was a big comic book and movies nerd growing up. To this day Last Action Hero is one my all time favorite Arnie movies.
    UnclePappyWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By UnclePappyWolf

I'm still hoping for a decent Thor, Capt. America, Avengers, and possible 3rd Iron man movie before I take seriously a 3rd new interpretation of the Hulk which will at the very least have odd continuity issues if they can't get the rest of the Incredible Hulk cast back together. Will Liv Tyler do a movie without Norton? Will William Hurt come back to play Ross? Will they play the Norton version of the Hulk as if it didn't happen like a reboot or will they just recast everyone? I think that, for me, the sting of loosing Norton would have been better if they got a David Tenant or famous someone who can play of wounded genius But as it is, I'm not keen on Ruffalo and if they recast Liv and Hurt they definitely wouldn't have me running to the theater for a premiere showing!

Thor'sHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Thor'sHammer

the problem with all hulk movies is unfortunately the hulk itself.  that monster is always so fake in cgi that it completely takes me out of the movie and i feel like im behind the scenes at a puppet show.  the norton hulk almost got it right, but heres the solution LESS HULKING OUT.  make the movie about a person and then you might actually feel something for him when he turns into an uncontrollable green murdering freak monster.  hulk should not be considered a superhero, his movies should be a modern jekyll and hyde with the monster cloaked in shadow and mysterious as long as possible.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.