Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7765 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Is this a writers oversight???

Avatar image for samuel_larson_10
    samuel_larson_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By samuel_larson_10

I like hulk, but somethings what's always bothered me is that he doesn't have super reaction timing, yet still takes on fast opponents, I was reading a matchup where he fought Kallark, and won. He's also bested thor a lot, both characters can move faster than light but Hulk's never been stated to have super agility or reaction timing. Some may say it goes without saying but how come sometimes hulk can deal with quicksilver and sometimes can't keep up with foes somewhat fast like spiderman

ComicKID777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ComicKID777

speed an agility are 2 different things.

Avatar image for samuel_larson_10
    samuel_larson_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By samuel_larson_10

@ComicKID777 said:

yes I know that, he doesn't have the reaction timing is the message I was trying to get across

ComicKID777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ComicKID777

@samuel_larson_10: he just gets lucky or his eyes can follow things at a level most cant he once caught silver surfer in surf mode so he must have reaction time but the writers never go into it, so its kinda left in the dark.

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
    TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheGodofThunder

@samuel_larson_10: He has power of popularity

Silverblooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Silverblooded

I have never understood Hulk's strength rule. What I mean is, if his strength is virtually infinite if his anger continuously increases then he would be completely invincible. Am I way off or dead on? Also I keep trying to get into the Hulk comics, but cant find a good "window" to jump into his storyline. DO you guys have any suggestions as to what runs to try or specific issues that would be a good kick-off place?

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 80sBaby

Silverblooded: I wouldn't say "way off" but increasing strength doesn't equate to invincibility. There are plenty of chracters that start off stronger than Hulk (depending on version) and can take him out before his power increases. There are also other means to defeat Hulk, i.e BFR, telepathy or draining the gamma radiation out of him. As for a jumping on point, I suggest the Planet Hulk TPB or pick up the new Indestructible Hulk #1 that's coming out/just came out.

Takao0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Takao0815

@samuel_larson_10: are various types of speed.

Kallark can hyperspace trick 100 times faster than light.

(with confidence even more)

but even the Silver Surfer comes without hyperspace trick is not rate more than 99% of the light.

Silver Age Superman could walk 2000 miles in secunde.

For his flight in outer space Spätter the hyperspace was introduced trick. Even as erkläreung why he does not reach the Speed ​​Force.

Hulk can adapt basically the speed of his opponent. but not every Hulk version is capable to do so. His powers are extremely instabiel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

He has been shown to have incredible reactions as he tagged Quicksilver once, I'll try and find the scan.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By dernman

I think I read someone that they will be showing more of his speed in his marvel now book.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#11  Edited By Teerack

It's funny you'd mention this, because at comic con new york the hulk writer commented on how they've never really fairly shown just how fast hulk is, because he is very fast. He said to expect hulk to be like the way he is in the avengers movie where he's very fast.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@Takao0815:

Hulk can adapt basically the speed of his opponent. but not every Hulk version is capable to do so. His powers are extremely instabiel.

No, he doesn't. Travel speed =/= combat speed and there is the fact they hardly ever use their combat speed. Thor isn't fast in reaction speed, Gladiator I don't believe has many reactionary speed feats and Silver Surfer hardly ever uses his reactionary speed either even though he has a few feats of confirmed nanosecond speed, something Hulk does not have. If these characters were speedblitzing Hulk, then it would be another story as he does not have the reaction speed to do so. No version of Hulk would be able to handle an ftl blitz from them. But it is pointless anyway as they wouldn't do it to him anyway. A lot of characters that could out maneuver Hulk tend to not due to either not using their speed, or writer induced stupidity. Sentry has far better reaction and feats to Hulk and if he didn't want to get hit during WWH, he wouldn't have without wanting it (which he did in the story) or writer's being stupid.

@guttridgeb said:

He has been shown to have incredible reactions as he tagged Quicksilver once, I'll try and find the scan.

This scan isn't even that impressive and keeps getting milked as of late.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Martian

@ComicKID777 said:

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By joshmightbe

I always just considered him to have variable reaction time like it fluctuates with his strength. Its already been stated that he can run at low to mid level super human speed due to pure strength but I don't know for sure whether it would apply to agility as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Of course its impressive, Quicksilver is incredibly fast and Hulk tagged him.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@guttridgeb: It is impressive but not so impressive that it deserves to be milked like it does and QS was slower back then, even Cyclops and Wolverine have tagged him. Not to mention Spider-Man, Wolverine, Captain America and Daredevil have all dodged around Hulk before. Spider-Man and Cap both have said he was slow as well. You can retort to this by using characters that should be faster but don't rely on their speed or aren't truly aren't that fast. Thor stated Wolverine has better combat speed than he does and Cap has also called Thor slow in the past too. But Thor has effectively used his combat speed before and it has been stated he "moves like lightning etc" but I don't take it consistently since he likes to brawl. Street level characters have to rely on their combat speed to deal with enemies like the Hulk or they get splattered. Characters like Thor or Surfer do not typically dodge to begin with but I can show Surfer attacking Hulk before he could react and him catching Hulk's hits mid-air. Hulk seems faster outside of combat to be honest. Him catching tank shells and jets and stuff is all impressive but street levelers have commented on his speed being slow in combat and have been dancing for far too long around him and other Hulk characters like Skaar and Rulk to make that Quicksilver feat people keep bringing up as of late some end all be all of Hulk's speed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: True. I'm beginning to think that Hulk's speeds of all kinds are just another fluctuating feature of him. Similar to his size.

Takao0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Takao0815

@ God_spawn : Catch bullet with his teeth.

grab a rocket fly past.

etc.

everything should belong to combat speed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.