Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Incredible Hulk is a boring one dimensional character.

• 97 results
    Catman9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Catman9

Agree or disagree with this statement?

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Video_Martian

Of course not.

cellot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By cellot

Even if Hulk were just a mindless brute, that doesn't necessarily make the character boring. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde proved that long ago: we are fascinated with what will turn a moral and upstanding citizen into a monster.

Ricky_Gervais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ricky_Gervais

I dunno mate, depends how you define boring dunnit.

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By karrob

@TheAcidSkull said:

@Catman9: disagree!! hulk is more than just smashing, his vol2 comics are nothing short of amazing, Hulk has so many incarnations , banners personality split make him so unique and awesome , banner has done so many things with his meditation techniques, they were merged more then once, not only that , banner has gone through so many tragedies, why would you ever make such a post, do yo hate hulk yourself, the Hulk is monster with the heart of a hero who tried to redeem himself more than once and he was betrayed at every turn, trust me, he is not boring nor one demensional

@cellot said:

Even if Hulk were just a mindless brute, that doesn't necessarily make the character boring. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde proved that long ago: we are fascinated with what will turn a moral and upstanding citizen into a monster.

Agreed!

Ulviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ulviar

Of course I disagree. Hulk is one of the most interesting characters in comics. And different writers' interpretations of his personality and multiple incarnations generally make him better.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#8  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

He never bores me.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Kallarkz

This is what I wrote in another similar topic a bit back and I stand by it:

I like the Hulk....but only because he was a childhood favorite. But to be honest nowadays....Its really hard to get in touch with his character...I mean what has really changed about him?

I get angry...can't control myself...sometimes i cooperate....i want to be alone....hate banner.....

I mean even Deadpool these days makes a bigger impact on the Marvel Universe than Hulk. He helps out X-force and gets jobs done. So what if Hulk were to disappear from the Marvel Universe? What would really change? He contributes absolutely nothing in this period of time. Nothing at all would change if he were to just go off planet again. His character has really reached the point of pointless and useless. Yes. You are strong and angry...so what?

As a consumer why would I spend $3.99 a month on a book that really means nothing (and whose writing is bland at best). This is why Rulk's book is taking off. People like the idea of a goliath with super strength...but they have been craving for one that has some control and contributes SOMETHING to the world of Marvel. 

People are tired of feeling sorry for Banner, tired of him looking for a cure, tired of the Hulk destroying crap and having Banner wonder "wth happened". Although yes Banner has gained some control over the years it still has not been enough for him to direct Hulk to do anything of use. Rulk has done WAY much more than Hulk has in the past years.

Hulk needs a purpose for existing. He needs somewhere to be aimed at instead of simply wandering around aimlessly. Nobody wants to hold his hand anymore and wonder if Bruce will have a normal life. Ive been asking myself that question for almost 2 decades. It's OLD!

They just need to figure out something new to do with him. Give Banner some more control and give Hulk a purpose or do a Jerry Seinfeld and end things on the highest note you can.

My 2 cents 

@cellot: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was a great story. The difference is that it had an ending. Hulks story (not including some excellent story lines like Planet Hulk) has been more like a TV sitcom whose producers don't know what to change or when to call it quits. (preferably not the latter since Hulk can be made to do something) 

@TheAcidSkull  said: 

@Catman9: disagree!! hulk is more than just smashing, his vol2 comics are nothing short of amazing, Hulk has so many incarnations , banners personality split make him so unique and awesome , banner has done so many things with his meditation techniques, they were merged more then once, not only that , banner has gone through so many tragedies, why would you ever make such a post, do yo hate hulk yourself, the Hulk is monster with the heart of a hero who tried to redeem himself more than once and he was betrayed at every turn, trust me, he is not boring nor one demensional

I'm not trying to prove that Hulk is boring...but a lot of the things you mentioned can be easily applied to 90% of the hero population. Tragedy and the once in a while chance at redemption can only take a character so far.
    cellot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By cellot

@Kallarkz: A lot of comic books don't have "endings." Batman can never kill the Joker and Batman himself has been around for 73 years... that sounds like not having an ending to me. Not having an ending is endemic to the superhero genre. It's something that always caused trouble for me personally, but that doesn't make Hulk a better or worse character than any of the others.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jwalser3

Agree, I just don't find him interesting. I agree with what Kallarkz said. He really isn't that important to the Marvel U. But the idea of him being a jolly green giant with a temper has made me not care any more. The new Hulk, the one without Banner is just bland and boring to me.

Avatar image for invisible_witch
    Invisible_Witch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Invisible_Witch

@Kallarkz said:

This is what I wrote in another similar topic a bit back and I stand by it:

I like the Hulk....but only because he was a childhood favorite. But to be honest nowadays....Its really hard to get in touch with his character...I mean what has really changed about him?

I get angry...can't control myself...sometimes i cooperate....i want to be alone....hate banner.....

I mean even Deadpool these days makes a bigger impact on the Marvel Universe than Hulk. He helps out X-force and gets jobs done. So what if Hulk were to disappear from the Marvel Universe? What would really change? He contributes absolutely nothing in this period of time. Nothing at all would change if he were to just go off planet again. His character has really reached the point of pointless and useless. Yes. You are strong and angry...so what?

As a consumer why would I spend $3.99 a month on a book that really means nothing (and whose writing is bland at best). This is why Rulk's book is taking off. People like the idea of a goliath with super strength...but they have been craving for one that has some control and contributes SOMETHING to the world of Marvel.

People are tired of feeling sorry for Banner, tired of him looking for a cure, tired of the Hulk destroying crap and having Banner wonder "wth happened". Although yes Banner has gained some control over the years it still has not been enough for him to direct Hulk to do anything of use. Rulk has done WAY much more than Hulk has in the past years.

Hulk needs a purpose for existing. He needs somewhere to be aimed at instead of simply wandering around aimlessly. Nobody wants to hold his hand anymore and wonder if Bruce will have a normal life. Ive been asking myself that question for almost 2 decades. It's OLD!

They just need to figure out something new to do with him. Give Banner some more control and give Hulk a purpose or do a Jerry Seinfeld and end things on the highest note you can.

My 2 cents

@cellot: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was a great story. The difference is that it had an ending. Hulks story (not including some excellent story lines like Planet Hulk) has been more like a TV sitcom whose producers don't know what to change or when to call it quits. (preferably not the latter since Hulk can be made to do something)

Couldn't Have Said It Better You sir need a metal, bravo!!

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Gambit1024

It depends on the Hulk.

The Hulk that was used in stories like Planet Hulk? Disagree.

The Hulk that says "HULK SMASH" every ten minutes? Totally agreed.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I wish the OP would say the reasons why he thinks he is boring.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

@TheAcidSkull said:

@Kallarkz: i don't want to start an argument or anything but at this very second the hulk has his now problems to sort out, and yes actually he does contribute something , as you might now , banner has gone insane and even thought i things will go back to normal, banner needs to be stopped ,it's one thing to have raw power but it's different to have a brain , banner is danger know so the only one who can stop him is the hulk, and besides many characters don't contribute many things , like the punisher what is he up to now??? and besides aaron messed up the timeline, in the A vs X hulk is back to normal, the same goes for the AVENGERS ASSEMBLE story line, so all these events either take place a bit in the future or back in the past, and don't bring rulk up, i don't like rulk, i liked ross as a human, there was always one hulk and then lobe ruined that ,and i hate him for it, beside that aaron is a good with wolverine but not with hulk, he does not know the character, so please give the hulk the benefit of the doubt

I agree with most of this, though I think Aaron is doing an okay job, its the art that puts me off at the moment

Dhor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dhor

Hulk is better as a supporting character. He`s too boring for his own book book but works really well in a team. Just look at the Avengers movie. Nobody cared much about the Hulk movies but EVERYBODY loved him in the Avengers. I`m not saying that Hulk is bad character but his powers and personality work better in a team then in a solo title. I mean there is only so much you can do with a character that get`s angry and beats everyone.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By KainScion

@Catman9: you mean nothing to me.

Catman9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Catman9

@KainScion: I'm playing Beyonce's Irreplaceable for you.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Saren

He bores me.

Catman9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Catman9

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

I wish the OP would say the reasons why he thinks he is boring.

I didn't say if I thought he was boring or not. I'm quoting a comment I've heard from other people and wanted to hear fans opinions on the statement.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fifthchild

@Kallarkz

But when was the last time Banner was looking for a cure for the Hulk - 1976? Its an iconic storyline for many reasons but in reality you are describing a status quo that has died off many, many years ago. It's a bit like someone saying "Wow - I'm so sick of reading about Batman and Dick Grayson the Boy Wonder!" The last 6 issues even had Banner focused on trying to bring the Hulk back again.

Over the years Hulk has become a much more fully fleshed out, complicated character than most people suspect. I dont want to come off like too much of a Hulk Nazi but IMO one probably needs to have a passing familiarity with Peter David's run to really give a balanced opinion on this question. Its still the definitive Hulk run and it still has impact.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sethysquare

I don't like Hulk cos I don't like monster type characters. Thats one reason why I dropped Swamp Thing but kept Animal Man.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#27  Edited By DMC

One Dimensional? Do you know how many Hulk personalities there have been over the years?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#28  Edited By Teerack

Not at all.

monarch2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By monarch2016

indeed he is boring as hell

Avatar image for deactivated-5edc72068d57d
    deactivated-5edc72068d57d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's not one dimensional at all and he is not boring either. @Kallarkz : It seems that you haven't read any issue of the Hulk book in the last several years. Because you are dead wrong. And whomever said that Hulk works best in a team clearly has never read a Hulk book in their life. Anyway, Hulk is awesome and haters can go to the left. Why are you even in the Hulk forum?

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By moywar700

Hulk sucks.

BB

Avatar image for draketheslaughter
    DraketheSlaughter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk not boring & one dimensional like everybody and there mother's dog favorite Batman.

not2baad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By not2baad

Hulk is not boring or one dimensional. It like a three year old with super strength who despite everyone hating him still dose the right thing. Then there is Banner with his complex character.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By gravitypress

Not the Hulk but the whole "leave me alone" type story with him is now boring.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Imagine_Man15

Hulk is a one-trick pony who rode out the theme too long. The character needs innovation, but whenever writers try to innovate, it never seems to stick.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

Deadpool said it best.

winters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter David's gray hulk was a very interesting character ,a shame marvel has forgotten him.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Just stumbled across this thread from 2 years ago which seems to be a general anti Hulk troll appreciation blog....anyway I would say that Hulk is actually one of the characters who I liked as a child who DOESNT bore me now, because there are lots of story possibilities due to the Banner/Hulk relationship and so on. Superman is probably the character who bores me more now, but that is more likely due to the current poor comics featuring him and the "Superman beats everyone" attitude of a lot of CV Superman fanboys.

Avatar image for underdogsupporter
    UnderdogSupporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I disagree with the statement but the direction Marvel is taking Hulk along doesn't look promising.

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey if you think he is boring then that's completely fine but i have to disagree with him being one dimensional, Hulks entire nature from his very creation is that he is 2 beings, Banner and Hulk and from there other writers have explored countless others personalities. That's probably the thing i most enjoy about Hulk unlike most other heroes that go from good to bad and everything in between Hulk can do that and actually make sense. For instance even after Secret Wars an incarnation of Hulk known as Maestro who is a future evil version of Hulk that became a tyrant is gonna be present in current Marvel and i am very excited about it, Maestro does not ruin or damage Hulks status as a hero he is just one of the possibilities of what Hulk could become and we get to fully see that.

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Schwarz

I think anyone who answers yes got stuck in the 70s and hasn't opened a Hulk comic book since. Hulk is like THE most multi dimensional hero/anti-hero main character in comic books in history to this day. He's one with so many personalities throughout his history that it is hard to count. Name me one main hero/villain that has went through so many changes in the last ~50 years ?

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
    deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

I don't recall ever deleting my comments (because I rarely if ever delete my comments), in fact I still share the same sentiment today, so can't tell why they aren't appearing right now. I'll attribute it to the site's buggy-ness and multiple reboots.

In either case, if anyone finds Hulk boring that's completely fine and understandable, most people may just dislike him for his looks, his power set, etc. But to say he is one dimensional is incredibly inaccurate and anyone who claims that he is has simply not read any of Hulk's stories and/or is basing their opinion simply on guest appearances. Hulk has layers upon layers worth of history, filled with various different incarnations, personalities, relationships and adventures. Hell, it would be an impressive feat to have a B-list character exist for 50 something years and to not write a story crafting any semblance of depth for the protagonist.

Bat_SAINT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-6155f5fcc6972
    deactivated-6155f5fcc6972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disagree, I think he's really interesting, Bruce Banner and Hulk are the opposite sides of the same coin.

ClassicKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ClassicKnight
    @schwarz said:

I think anyone who answers yes got stuck in the 70s and hasn't opened a Hulk comic book since. Hulk is like THE most multi dimensional hero/anti-hero main character in comic books in history to this day. He's one with so many personalities throughout his history that it is hard to count. Name me one main hero/villain that has went through so many changes in the last ~50 years

Really dude? When did Hulk change his personality? Also, Captain America, Doctor Doom, Hawkeye and Iron man came before Hulk.

P.S Hulk didn't exist in the 70s....

bonifidehustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schwarz said:

I think anyone who answers yes got stuck in the 70s and hasn't opened a Hulk comic book since. Hulk is like THE most multi dimensional hero/anti-hero main character in comic books in history to this day. He's one with so many personalities throughout his history that it is hard to count. Name me one main hero/villain that has went through so many changes in the last ~50 years

Really dude? When did Hulk change his personality? Also, Captain America, Doctor Doom, Hawkeye and Iron man came before Hulk.

P.S Hulk didn't exist in the 70s....

Since you claim Hulk didn't exist in the 70s when did he exist?

Comickidd77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@classicknight: lol talking all high in mighty yet claims hulk didn't exist in the 70's. First comic was in like 1962 or something and in the 70's he fought wolverine

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.