Incredible Hulk is a boring one dimensional character.

#1 Posted by Catman9 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

Agree or disagree with this statement?

#2 Edited by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course not.

#3 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@Catman9: disagree!! hulk is more than just smashing, his vol2 comics are nothing short of amazing, Hulk has so many incarnations , banners personality split make him so unique and awesome , banner has done so many things with his meditation techniques, they were merged more then once, not only that , banner has gone through so many tragedies, why would you ever make such a post, do yo hate hulk yourself, the Hulk is monster with the heart of a hero who tried to redeem himself more than once and he was betrayed at every turn, trust me, he is not boring nor one demensional

#4 Posted by cellot (80 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if Hulk were just a mindless brute, that doesn't necessarily make the character boring. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde proved that long ago: we are fascinated with what will turn a moral and upstanding citizen into a monster.

#5 Posted by Ricky_Gervais (144 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno mate, depends how you define boring dunnit.

#6 Posted by karrob (4279 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull said:

@Catman9: disagree!! hulk is more than just smashing, his vol2 comics are nothing short of amazing, Hulk has so many incarnations , banners personality split make him so unique and awesome , banner has done so many things with his meditation techniques, they were merged more then once, not only that , banner has gone through so many tragedies, why would you ever make such a post, do yo hate hulk yourself, the Hulk is monster with the heart of a hero who tried to redeem himself more than once and he was betrayed at every turn, trust me, he is not boring nor one demensional

@cellot said:

Even if Hulk were just a mindless brute, that doesn't necessarily make the character boring. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde proved that long ago: we are fascinated with what will turn a moral and upstanding citizen into a monster.

Agreed!

#7 Posted by Ulviar (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course I disagree. Hulk is one of the most interesting characters in comics. And different writers' interpretations of his personality and multiple incarnations generally make him better.

#8 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13014 posts) - - Show Bio

He never bores me.

#9 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what I wrote in another similar topic a bit back and I stand by it:
 

I like the Hulk....but only because he was a childhood favorite. But to be honest nowadays....Its really hard to get in touch with his character...I mean what has really changed about him?

I get angry...can't control myself...sometimes i cooperate....i want to be alone....hate banner.....

I mean even Deadpool these days makes a bigger impact on the Marvel Universe than Hulk. He helps out X-force and gets jobs done. So what if Hulk were to disappear from the Marvel Universe? What would really change? He contributes absolutely nothing in this period of time. Nothing at all would change if he were to just go off planet again. His character has really reached the point of pointless and useless. Yes. You are strong and angry...so what?

As a consumer why would I spend $3.99 a month on a book that really means nothing (and whose writing is bland at best). This is why Rulk's book is taking off. People like the idea of a goliath with super strength...but they have been craving for one that has some control and contributes SOMETHING to the world of Marvel. 

People are tired of feeling sorry for Banner, tired of him looking for a cure, tired of the Hulk destroying crap and having Banner wonder "wth happened". Although yes Banner has gained some control over the years it still has not been enough for him to direct Hulk to do anything of use. Rulk has done WAY much more than Hulk has in the past years.

Hulk needs a purpose for existing. He needs somewhere to be aimed at instead of simply wandering around aimlessly. Nobody wants to hold his hand anymore and wonder if Bruce will have a normal life. Ive been asking myself that question for almost 2 decades. It's OLD!

They just need to figure out something new to do with him. Give Banner some more control and give Hulk a purpose or do a Jerry Seinfeld and end things on the highest note you can.

My 2 cents 

@cellot: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was a great story. The difference is that it had an ending. Hulks story (not including some excellent story lines like Planet Hulk) has been more like a TV sitcom whose producers don't know what to change or when to call it quits. (preferably not the latter since Hulk can be made to do something) 
 
@TheAcidSkull  said: 

@Catman9: disagree!! hulk is more than just smashing, his vol2 comics are nothing short of amazing, Hulk has so many incarnations , banners personality split make him so unique and awesome , banner has done so many things with his meditation techniques, they were merged more then once, not only that , banner has gone through so many tragedies, why would you ever make such a post, do yo hate hulk yourself, the Hulk is monster with the heart of a hero who tried to redeem himself more than once and he was betrayed at every turn, trust me, he is not boring nor one demensional

I'm not trying to prove that Hulk is boring...but a lot of the things you mentioned can be easily applied to 90% of the hero population. Tragedy and the once in a while chance at redemption can only take a character so far.
#10 Posted by cellot (80 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz: A lot of comic books don't have "endings." Batman can never kill the Joker and Batman himself has been around for 73 years... that sounds like not having an ending to me. Not having an ending is endemic to the superhero genre. It's something that always caused trouble for me personally, but that doesn't make Hulk a better or worse character than any of the others.

#11 Posted by jwalser3 (4915 posts) - - Show Bio

Agree, I just don't find him interesting. I agree with what Kallarkz said. He really isn't that important to the Marvel U. But the idea of him being a jolly green giant with a temper has made me not care any more. The new Hulk, the one without Banner is just bland and boring to me.

#12 Edited by Invisible_Witch (312 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

This is what I wrote in another similar topic a bit back and I stand by it:

I like the Hulk....but only because he was a childhood favorite. But to be honest nowadays....Its really hard to get in touch with his character...I mean what has really changed about him?

I get angry...can't control myself...sometimes i cooperate....i want to be alone....hate banner.....

I mean even Deadpool these days makes a bigger impact on the Marvel Universe than Hulk. He helps out X-force and gets jobs done. So what if Hulk were to disappear from the Marvel Universe? What would really change? He contributes absolutely nothing in this period of time. Nothing at all would change if he were to just go off planet again. His character has really reached the point of pointless and useless. Yes. You are strong and angry...so what?

As a consumer why would I spend $3.99 a month on a book that really means nothing (and whose writing is bland at best). This is why Rulk's book is taking off. People like the idea of a goliath with super strength...but they have been craving for one that has some control and contributes SOMETHING to the world of Marvel.

People are tired of feeling sorry for Banner, tired of him looking for a cure, tired of the Hulk destroying crap and having Banner wonder "wth happened". Although yes Banner has gained some control over the years it still has not been enough for him to direct Hulk to do anything of use. Rulk has done WAY much more than Hulk has in the past years.

Hulk needs a purpose for existing. He needs somewhere to be aimed at instead of simply wandering around aimlessly. Nobody wants to hold his hand anymore and wonder if Bruce will have a normal life. Ive been asking myself that question for almost 2 decades. It's OLD!

They just need to figure out something new to do with him. Give Banner some more control and give Hulk a purpose or do a Jerry Seinfeld and end things on the highest note you can.

My 2 cents

@cellot: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was a great story. The difference is that it had an ending. Hulks story (not including some excellent story lines like Planet Hulk) has been more like a TV sitcom whose producers don't know what to change or when to call it quits. (preferably not the latter since Hulk can be made to do something)

Couldn't Have Said It Better You sir need a metal, bravo!!

#13 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on the Hulk.

The Hulk that was used in stories like Planet Hulk? Disagree.

The Hulk that says "HULK SMASH" every ten minutes? Totally agreed.

#14 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7765 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish the OP would say the reasons why he thinks he is boring.

#15 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

This is what I wrote in another similar topic a bit back and I stand by it:

I like the Hulk....but only because he was a childhood favorite. But to be honest nowadays....Its really hard to get in touch with his character...I mean what has really changed about him?

I get angry...can't control myself...sometimes i cooperate....i want to be alone....hate banner.....

I mean even Deadpool these days makes a bigger impact on the Marvel Universe than Hulk. He helps out X-force and gets jobs done. So what if Hulk were to disappear from the Marvel Universe? What would really change? He contributes absolutely nothing in this period of time. Nothing at all would change if he were to just go off planet again. His character has really reached the point of pointless and useless. Yes. You are strong and angry...so what?

As a consumer why would I spend $3.99 a month on a book that really means nothing (and whose writing is bland at best). This is why Rulk's book is taking off. People like the idea of a goliath with super strength...but they have been craving for one that has some control and contributes SOMETHING to the world of Marvel.

People are tired of feeling sorry for Banner, tired of him looking for a cure, tired of the Hulk destroying crap and having Banner wonder "wth happened". Although yes Banner has gained some control over the years it still has not been enough for him to direct Hulk to do anything of use. Rulk has done WAY much more than Hulk has in the past years.

Hulk needs a purpose for existing. He needs somewhere to be aimed at instead of simply wandering around aimlessly. Nobody wants to hold his hand anymore and wonder if Bruce will have a normal life. Ive been asking myself that question for almost 2 decades. It's OLD!

They just need to figure out something new to do with him. Give Banner some more control and give Hulk a purpose or do a Jerry Seinfeld and end things on the highest note you can.

My 2 cents

@cellot: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was a great story. The difference is that it had an ending. Hulks story (not including some excellent story lines like Planet Hulk) has been more like a TV sitcom whose producers don't know what to change or when to call it quits. (preferably not the latter since Hulk can be made to do something)

@TheAcidSkull said:

@Catman9: disagree!! hulk is more than just smashing, his vol2 comics are nothing short of amazing, Hulk has so many incarnations , banners personality split make him so unique and awesome , banner has done so many things with his meditation techniques, they were merged more then once, not only that , banner has gone through so many tragedies, why would you ever make such a post, do yo hate hulk yourself, the Hulk is monster with the heart of a hero who tried to redeem himself more than once and he was betrayed at every turn, trust me, he is not boring nor one demensional

I'm not trying to prove that Hulk is boring...but a lot of the things you mentioned can be easily applied to 90% of the hero population. Tragedy and the once in a while chance at redemption can only take a character so far.

@Kallarkz: i don't want to start an argument or anything but at this very second the hulk has his now problems to sort out, and yes actually he does contribute something , as you might now , banner has gone insane and even thought i things will go back to normal, banner needs to be stopped ,it's one thing to have raw power but it's different to have a brain , banner is danger know so the only one who can stop him is the hulk, and besides many characters don't contribute many things , like the punisher what is he up to now??? and besides aaron messed up the timeline, in the A vs X hulk is back to normal, the same goes for the AVENGERS ASSEMBLE story line, so all these events either take place a bit in the future or back in the past, and don't bring rulk up, i don't like rulk, i liked ross as a human, there was always one hulk and then lobe ruined that ,and i hate him for it, beside that aaron is a good with wolverine but not with hulk, he does not know the character, so please give the hulk the benefit of the doubt

#16 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull said:

@Kallarkz: i don't want to start an argument or anything but at this very second the hulk has his now problems to sort out, and yes actually he does contribute something , as you might now , banner has gone insane and even thought i things will go back to normal, banner needs to be stopped ,it's one thing to have raw power but it's different to have a brain , banner is danger know so the only one who can stop him is the hulk, and besides many characters don't contribute many things , like the punisher what is he up to now??? and besides aaron messed up the timeline, in the A vs X hulk is back to normal, the same goes for the AVENGERS ASSEMBLE story line, so all these events either take place a bit in the future or back in the past, and don't bring rulk up, i don't like rulk, i liked ross as a human, there was always one hulk and then lobe ruined that ,and i hate him for it, beside that aaron is a good with wolverine but not with hulk, he does not know the character, so please give the hulk the benefit of the doubt

I agree with most of this, though I think Aaron is doing an okay job, its the art that puts me off at the moment

#17 Posted by Dhor (282 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk is better as a supporting character. He`s too boring for his own book book but works really well in a team. Just look at the Avengers movie. Nobody cared much about the Hulk movies but EVERYBODY loved him in the Avengers. I`m not saying that Hulk is bad character but his powers and personality work better in a team then in a solo title. I mean there is only so much you can do with a character that get`s angry and beats everyone.

#18 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dhor: i disagree, i must have not read all the hulks solo titles, i prefer when he is not on a team, his incarnations and stories are very interesting

#19 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

@Catman9: you mean nothing to me.

#20 Posted by Catman9 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion: I'm playing Beyonce's Irreplaceable for you.

#21 Posted by Saren (25631 posts) - - Show Bio

He bores me.

Moderator
#22 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: why??

#23 Edited by Catman9 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

I wish the OP would say the reasons why he thinks he is boring.

I didn't say if I thought he was boring or not. I'm quoting a comment I've heard from other people and wanted to hear fans opinions on the statement.

#24 Edited by Fifthchild (599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz

People are tired of feeling sorry for Banner, tired of him looking for a cure, tired of the Hulk destroying crap and having Banner wonder "wth happened". Although yes Banner has gained some control over the years it still has not been enough for him to direct Hulk to do anything of use. Rulk has done WAY much more than Hulk has in the past years.

But when was the last time Banner was looking for a cure for the Hulk - 1976? Its an iconic storyline for many reasons but in reality you are describing a status quo that has died off many, many years ago. It's a bit like someone saying "Wow - I'm so sick of reading about Batman and Dick Grayson the Boy Wonder!" The last 6 issues even had Banner focused on trying to bring the Hulk back again.

Over the years Hulk has become a much more fully fleshed out, complicated character than most people suspect. I dont want to come off like too much of a Hulk Nazi but IMO one probably needs to have a passing familiarity with Peter David's run to really give a balanced opinion on this question. Its still the definitive Hulk run and it still has impact.

#25 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fifthchild said:

@Kallarkz

People are tired of feeling sorry for Banner, tired of him looking for a cure, tired of the Hulk destroying crap and having Banner wonder "wth happened". Although yes Banner has gained some control over the years it still has not been enough for him to direct Hulk to do anything of use. Rulk has done WAY much more than Hulk has in the past years.

But when was the last time Banner was looking for a cure for the Hulk - 1976? Its an iconic storyline for many reasons but in reality you are describing a status quo that has died off many, many years ago. It's a bit like someone saying "Wow - I'm so sick of reading about Batman and Dick Grayson the Boy Wonder!" The last 6 issues even had Banner focused on trying to bring the Hulk back again.

Over the years Hulk has become a much more fully fleshed out, complicated character than most people suspect. I dont want to come off like too much of a Hulk Nazi but IMO one probably needs to have a passing familiarity with Peter David's run to really give a balanced opinion on this question. Its still the definitive Hulk run and it still has impact.

THIS

#26 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like Hulk cos I don't like monster type characters. Thats one reason why I dropped Swamp Thing but kept Animal Man.

#27 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

One Dimensional? Do you know how many Hulk personalities there have been over the years?

#28 Posted by Teerack (5906 posts) - - Show Bio

Not at all.

Online
#29 Posted by baron2011 (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

indeed he is boring as hell

#30 Posted by VenomMelendez (405 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not one dimensional at all and he is not boring either. @Kallarkz : It seems that you haven't read any issue of the Hulk book in the last several years. Because you are dead wrong. And whomever said that Hulk works best in a team clearly has never read a Hulk book in their life. Anyway, Hulk is awesome and haters can go to the left. Why are you even in the Hulk forum?

#31 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk sucks.

BB

#32 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700: any reason? i'm beginning to think you haven't read hulk books

#33 Posted by DraketheSlaughter (86 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk not boring & one dimensional like everybody and there mother's dog favorite Batman.

#34 Posted by not2baad (532 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk is not boring or one dimensional. It like a three year old with super strength who despite everyone hating him still dose the right thing. Then there is Banner with his complex character.

#35 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Not the Hulk but the whole "leave me alone" type story with him is now boring.

#36 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk is a one-trick pony who rode out the theme too long. The character needs innovation, but whenever writers try to innovate, it never seems to stick.

#37 Posted by God_Spawn (37764 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool said it best.

Moderator

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.