Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

I don't understand Hulk anymore

OmegaHans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By OmegaHans

I remembered when I was a kid reading Hulk books, that one of the most driving reasons I liked to read then was to see there come a day when Banner was finally free of his battle of living like a monster. A day when he would finally be able to find a cure. I felt genuinely sorry for Dr. Banner. He would go through tragic event after tragic event just to find it. We cut to these days, and recently Banner had been separated from Hulk. Isn't this what he always wanted? He finally has it, but now he wants to merge back to being Hulk again?

Take all the action and adventure and saving the world away for a moment, and you look at the history. Being Hulk has ruined his life. Not only that, but it as the years went by ruined most lives of those who were closest to him. We readers are now to sit here and agree that he should now want the monster? That he should now embrace being a wrecking machine? Even when he had the brains to go with it, when he wasn't being Savage or mindless in Hulk form, he was still the monster. Marvel is trying to tell me then that being a monster like that is good? All that struggle was for nothing? Yes, they are saying that we should cope with it and this I will admit is turning me off from Hulk.

Now it is all the popular trend to make a bunch of Hulks, Red Hulks, Blue Hulks, Hulks of every colors. What happened to the original point of the Hulk books? I would rather they keep Banner separated from Hulk now if this is where they are going to take the character. Rather that Banner help make The Ross family back to human again with his knowledge. His torment will never end if he merges again.

Yes of course he has come out on top of many battles, he is the Hulk after all, the guy you don't want to get angry, but the biggest battle of all has always been himself. Now that he is Banner again, why go back to this inner battle?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @OmegaHans: The reason Banner want's the Hulk back is because they are one and the same. Banner is the Hulk, Hulk is Banner, they are diffident aspects of the same person. When they where split apart his mind was affectively fractured and it drove Banner over the edge.
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Kallarkz

I stopped following this character a bit back. The whole mindless rage thing or I want to be alone has just gotten lame. I did read planet and wwh but I just can't stand the concept of this character anymore

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ARMIV2

I dunno. I hate it when they take something simple and make it into something complicated.

gethere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gethere

@OmegaHans: I really get what you are saying, but you are not the only one, many readers feel the same way in that it we feel like it backtracking, but recent interviews with Jason Aaron you pretty much get this, there more to this than you think. First off this is actually for Banner as situation we seen in comics before, in that is this character with a power or ability that they feel is a burden the character suddenly lose , yet ironically around this time the people around that character gain powers maybe even similar to that one the character had, making that character the only one without those power or ability making them feel left out. This thou is only part of the reason, the point is the time Banner and the hulk was separated Banner was actually beginning to accept the hulk as he learn that there was more to that hulk than he thought. In the new series we learn that Banner is happy being separated it just that because everyone close to him is in fact a hulk he feel left out it also seem to be that Banner does not want the original hulk back, he want to become is own hulk, my guess so he wouldn't have deal with his other personalities as they are actually at fault for ruining Banner life not being a hulk itself. Thou it is arguable that it Banner own fault as well, but hey the where it get complicated.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Daveyo520

He doesn't understand you anymore either. You changed. You changed and he changed. I think you have just grown apart form each other.

maikkywin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By maikkywin

Can't wait for Colossus to absorb Hulk .

hulkmakedoodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hulkmakedoodoo

HULK NO UNDERSTAND YOU ANYMORE!!!

OmegaHans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By OmegaHans

Thanks folks for replies. I had to think more about it. I suppose I should remember that Banner has been Hulk for so long that he has made the final decision to live with that part of his personality, and that without it he is not a whole man. Kind of sounds like being lobotomized in a way. It was always in him, a part of his mind.

There will always be those in the Marvel U who will never accept Hulks though because of the danger they possess. It is why the Illuminati wanted him off planet. He is a threat to everyone when he cannot control himself. So being Hulk is both a dream and nightmare come true. No doubt he will be back as Hulk before long.

@Kallarkz said:

I stopped following this character a bit back. The whole mindless rage thing or I want to be alone has just gotten lame. I did read planet and wwh but I just can't stand the concept of this character anymore

It does seem a bit tiring. I still enjoy him as a fighter though. When you need a guy against Juggernaut or Absorbing Man, Hulk is a guy to have around. In these ways he is necessary I think.

@gethere said:

@OmegaHans: I really get what you are saying, but you are not the only one, many readers feel the same way in that it we feel like it backtracking, but recent interviews with Jason Aaron you pretty much get this, there more to this than you think. First off this is actually for Banner as situation we seen in comics before, in that is this character with a power or ability that they feel is a burden the character suddenly lose , yet ironically around this time the people around that character gain powers maybe even similar to that one the character had, making that character the only one without those power or ability making them feel left out. This thou is only part of the reason, the point is the time Banner and the hulk was separated Banner was actually beginning to accept the hulk as he learn that there was more to that hulk than he thought. In the new series we learn that Banner is happy being separated it just that because everyone close to him is in fact a hulk he feel left out it also seem to be that Banner does not want the original hulk back, he want to become is own hulk, my guess so he wouldn't have deal with his other personalities as they are actually at fault for ruining Banner life not being a hulk itself. Thou it is arguable that it Banner own fault as well, but hey the where it get complicated.

Yeah, very complicated in his history. If the Maestro is any prediction of what he will become when he is old, he may kinda be at fault for his actions.

I have liked the fact that in some of the recent times he was just Banner how well he has dealt with Wolverine and the stuff in the Dark Reign also, like saying he can take care of himself without transforming. I think it has given better character expansion for Dr. Banner, like it is possible he could make Hank Pym or Reed Richards impressed if you know what I mean.

BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BloodTalon

@Daveyo520 said:

He doesn't understand you anymore either. You changed. You changed and he changed. I think you have just grown apart form each other.

this is funny.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

@maikkywin said:

Can't wait for Colossus to absorb Hulk .

lol

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gravitypress

Its not just Hulk. Many of the heroes in marvel seemed to go through a personality change after Civil War. Many have changed not for the better.

Watcherg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Watcherg6

you, i know the Hulk is REALLY confusing, but I think i would like to see Blue Hulk

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.