Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Hulk vs Incredible Hulk: Which do you like more?

Nowhere Man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nowhere Man.

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton
    Jennifer Conelly vs Liv Tyler
    Sam Elliot vs William Hurt
    Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth
    Which Hulk looks better? Which movie do you like more overall?

Madros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Madros

As a whole, I preferred Incredible Hulk to Hulk. 

But Sam Elliot was much better than William Hurt.

glforthewin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By glforthewin

incredible hulk. better villain. more smashing.  not much uneeded talking 

The Englander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The Englander

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton I think Ed is the best actor ever to be in a Marvel movie
    Jennifer Conelly vs Liv Tyler, Much hotter and better actress
    Sam Elliot vs William Hurt, Both did an excellent job
    Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth I like Nolte's speech before the final battle, but Mr. Orange is one of my favourite actors of all time.

I think the 2003 Hulk looked a little bit better
    I'm not sure which movie I preferred. The Hulk movie was unique and deep for a comicbook movie, but it lacked "HULK SMASH!!" unlike Incredible Hulk

TheBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheBat

The first movie was decent all around - even had some cool standout parts like The Hulk bashing those tanks to bits in the desert. But overall I liked the second movie alot better. I thought Norton made the best Banner we've seen so far. It was, in my opinion, just as good of a flick as Iron Man in it's own way.  I know there's talk of The Hulk being in the Avengers movie, but I wish they could continue his story and do another movie with Norton as well.

pentagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By pentagram
    @The Englander said:
    " Eric Bana vs Ed Norton I think Ed is the best actor ever to be in a Marvel movie
    Jennifer Conelly vs Liv Tyler, Much hotter and better actress
    Sam Elliot vs William Hurt, Both did an excellent job
    Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth I like Nolte's speech before the final battle, but Mr. Orange is one of my favourite actors of all time.  I think the 2003 Hulk looked a little bit better I'm not sure which movie I preferred. The Hulk movie was unique and deep for a comicbook movie, but it lacked "HULK SMASH!!" unlike Incredible Hulk "
    i 100% agree with you on jennifer connelly, i 100% disagree with you on ed norton
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#7  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Edward Norton was and is an Incredible Hulk

Grimstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Grimstone

Ok, lets start by saying that I had been keen to see a follow up on Ang’s Hulk, but when I first heard that the Incredible Hulk ‘replaces’ the first Hulk, I thought why?   Sure, it wasn’t fast paced action from the start, but character creation was required, just like in the first Spiderman, or Ironman.

All in all, I loved Eric Bana as Bruce.   He was convincing as a mentally anguished scientist.   Norton’s portrayal was weak, flimsy.   Shame really as I think Ed is the better actor, but comparing the two in this role, I have to side with EB.

In support, again Hulk wins with Jennifer Conelly.   Loved her in Dark City, and she outshined Liv in every way.   Lets face it, Liv is only in the biz because of her mega star dad.   She only does Liv, not really acting.

Again (wow, I’m really biased ain’t I), the Hulk wins with Sam Elliot as Thunderbolt Ross.   The old meanie from Roadhouse convinces me that he takes no prisoners.   I like Hurt, but hey, there just was no comparison.   Hurt’s too nice.

And now for the enemy.   I love both Nick Nolte and Tim Roth big time, but (and you get no points for guessing), Nolte was huge.   Although both were believable, Nolte would have smashed the Abomination in to the ice age (as would have the Hulk against his ‘incredible’ carbon copy).   Besides, this movie, Abomination was nothing like the original.   He had the background of General Wade Eiling and the look of Doomsday, straight out of DC comics.

And as a final point, I liked the way Hulk looked in Ang’s version too.   It’s impossible to get a 20ft green dude looking right in any event, but Ang’s (for me) looked much better.

Wow, I’m soooo glad to get that off my chest. 

Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Phorqe

Nolte and Bana brought us such "great" scenes like this.  What "great" acting. Look at those actors act.

Grimstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Grimstone

I love this 'father and son' moment.  It's the passion of the first movie that is lacking in the second.  The 'incredible' version was all guns and special effects, but with a really predictable (boring) story line.  With the first movie, you weren't sure how the story was going to pan out.  It kept me interested...
    Grimstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Grimstone
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Sparda
    @Grimstone said:
    "
    Maybe i judge too harshly.  The Hulk, incredible or not,  has come a long way indeed. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3fEVgqoaok     "
    I have that cartoon on VHS :l

Anyways, I preferred Norton over Bana, Conelly over Tyler, Elliot over Hurt, and I can't decide on the villains. Overall, though, I found Incredible Hulk to be much more entertaining.
    jasraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By jasraj

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton- Better actor, and more versatile
    Jennifer Conelly vs Liv Tyler- even though Jennifer is a better actor, Liv played the role of the CHARACTER better IMO 
    Sam Elliot
    vs William Hurt- Sam was more of a villian
    Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth- Tim is a better actor and a better vilian 
    Hulk Suit- The Incredible Hulk was better, Hulk (2003) was too fake looking 

Overall Better Movie- The Incredible Hulk by far, Hulk (2003) was very boring, The Incredible Hulk was more entertaining and just better

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By DanialCarroll

Besides the strange "fakeness" of the Hulk in Hulk, I think it had closer proportions to the comic version. Also, I really loved the ending of Hulk when he screams, "TAKE IT ALL!" Other than that, Incredible Hulk was a much better film. 

P.S. Jennifer Conelly is a much better actress than Liv Tyler... and soooooo much better looking :P

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GT-Man

I like the fight scnese a lott of Hulk 1 and the villian better
    darkcloakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By darkcloakx

the incredible hulk better film nuff said.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By PowerHerc
    @Nowhere Man. said:
    "Eric Bana vs Ed Norton Jennifer Conelly vs Liv TylerSam Elliot vs William HurtNick Nolte vs Tim Roth Which Hulk looks better? The first Hulk Which movie do you like more overall?"  The second movie.
    Blob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Blob

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton 
    Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth 
    Which Hulk looks better? Which movie do you like more overall?  2008 Hulk by far. More realistic looking and threatening.

goldenshot80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19  Edited By goldenshot80
    @glforthewin said:
    " incredible hulk. better villain. more smashing.  not much uneeded talking  "
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Kairan1979

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton
    Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth

Ruudi9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ruudi9

Norton made a perfect Banner - he brought the intellect and the lone wanderer characteristics I enjoyed from Bixby in the TV series. I can't see Ruffalo playing it better come Avengers time and I never got the genius scientist vibe from Bana in the first.

I have no preference on Betty - they're both about as good/bad as each other.
    Elliot's Ross just edges it because of the outstanding stache.
    To be honest, neither of the CGI Hulks connected in the same way Ferrigno did - the first was a little too big and the second was a little too emo (and I hated how he looked when he roared in the final battle, it just looked so false). If it must be CGI then can it be more like this please:  http://www.templates.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/the-incredible-hulk.jpg
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Bana Hulk was okay for the time, but at times it seemed Banner was angrier than Hulk. The five-year-old personification irked me, especially since it was a greater threat to the army than David Banner. Ross and his hatred puzzled me, because his motive was more in tuned to destroying the memory of David as opposed to stopping an unstable element. Hulk was also too damned tall.
    The Incredible Hulk just seemed more like the comics, although I didn't really like the introduction of the chair Bill Bixby sat in to acquire his abilities. Using the super soldier plot seemed too much like the Ultimate version, which I never really cared for to begin with. Still, seeing Hulk appear only ten or twelve feet tall was nice. It reminds me of the older comics. I think I preferred Jennifer Connely playing a more understanding Betty, whereas Liv Tyler was just filling. At least the Ross in this version had a true motive.
    Maybe Mark Ruffalo will pull off a better Banner than the other two. He seems to want to break away from the other guy romantic roles, which says a lot about him as an actor. I can only hope it doesn't spawn useless sayings like "Hulk have feelings!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
    deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

IMO Avengers Hulk beats them both in every way. Mark was better as Banner than Eric and Edward were.

But on topic, I kinda thought 2003 Hulk was interesting, how big he was, how fast he ran and how far he jumped. But I just gotta say Incredible Hulk was better.

Avatar image for omegathedestroyer
    OmegaTheDestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton

Jennifer Connelly vs Liv Tyler

Sam Elliot vs William Hurt- I liked both

Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth- I liked Abomination more then that Absorbing Man thing

Which Hulk looks better? - Incredible Hulk was better

Which movie do you like more overall?- Incredible Hulk

all this aside, I prefer Mark Ruffalo's Banner and Hulk to both of these.

Bane_of_sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bane_of_sith

Incredible hulk takes it but there are moments of ang lees hulk that I really liked a lot,,but I'm biased for anything hulk

Watcherg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Watcherg6

to tell you the Truth, Avengers hulk is the best, He Talks! way more than the others! I'm hoping this is the future of the hulk!

PunyBanner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By PunyBanner

It's great to see that I'm not alone in finding Ang Lee's "Hulk" vastly superior to "The Incredible Hulk", but it seems I am definitely in the minority...

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton > I like Ed Norton, but his Banner was unconvincing. I've never seen Eric Bana in anything but "Hulk", but found him to be much more sympathetic and believable as Bruce.

Jennifer Conelly vs Liv Tyler > No contest here...Liv Tyler CANNOT act and she did not look right for the part at all. Jennifer Connelly is a much better performer (plus extra points for being gorgeous!).

Sam Elliot vs William Hurt > This is the easiest one of all. William Hurt is a serviceable actor but Sam Elliot has the fire that really sells the General. Sam Elliot is General Ross as far as I am concerned.

Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth > The most difficult comparison. Tim Roth is one of my favorite actors and I don't think I've ever disliked him in a role. He was great as Blonsky. That said, while I don't have any particular affection for Nick Nolte, he was amazing as Banner's father. I hung on his every word (and not just because he slurred and grumbled through most of his dialogue) and loved his scenery chewing.

Which Hulk looks better?

I would say that "The Incredible Hulk" looked better as a result of superior technology, but such things matter little to me...I was happy with Lou Ferrigno's Hulk!

Which movie do you like more overall?

I think it is obvious that I liked "Hulk" better than "The Incredible Hulk", gamma-irradiated poodles and all. The drama was more compelling, the performances were far far better and it didn't rely so much on action to tell the story.

EDIT: I would agree that Mark Ruffalo's Banner from the Avengers movie was the best of the three.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton

Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth

Ang Lee Hulk or Incredible Hulk?

Which movie do you like more overall? Incredible Hulk

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Bezza

Hulk everytime..Ang Lee's art house didn't pull in the crowds, but super hero films were still a novelty in 2003 and I reckon it was the better film. So for me, each of the Ang Lee characters, except I found Nick Nolte's character a bit annoying and quite liked Tim Roth!

IAmTheLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Eric Bana was the weakest of the 3 actors to portray the Hulk, but that final fight scene was easily my favorite between the two movies. "TAKE IT ALL!!"

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Erkan12

Eric Bana was the best.

louie03H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok I made a profile just for my thaughts on this too be seen iv waited 10 years! lol ok first of all Eric bana played the best "Bruce Banner" in my opinion he had that nerdy thing goin pretty good and not too weak, Ang Lee's Hulk hands down was the best extremely more interesting he showed all his powers more in detail, the running the jumping the dog fight, releasing of his gamma rays too his father absorbing him the whole TAKE IT ALL!!! Scene Was just freaking epic! and the CGI was more than on point with interpreting the facial expressions in the transformation proccess from normal too Hulked out, the facial expressions of Ang Lee's hulk were much more in tuned with the way Eric banna would make a face with same feeling and emotion, ang lee's Hulk told a good story. And the way the scenes transitioned from scene too scene was so comic book like! Isn't that what a real comic creator or fan boy would expect it too be!? And as for the other actors I liked them all way more than the "incredible hulk" characters but "Liv Tyler" really!! She just looks good and only is in movies cause of her super rock star status daddy ,stay in the pictures girly and out of Hollywood PLEASE! I don't have enough time in the day too get into more detail about the others, anyways later and like Hulk says later PUNEY HUMAN!!

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@louie03h:

Yeah I agree with much of this. I still love the first Hulk movie. The second one disappointed me on so many levels, although I did enjoy the "thunder-claps".

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grimstone: I like the movie because you can feel bruce banned anger in this movie and how the feeling between father and son. The music is pretty good and it give the emotions of anger in the movie and it also fits very well in one scene where hulk says take it all.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton

Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth

Which Hulk looks better? Don't know but Avengers Hulk is better than both

Which movie do you like more overall? Hulk

MaestroLivez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MaestroLivez

I love how "HULK" portrayed more to hulks actual ability and power more than "Incredible Hulk" did. Bigger and stronger the madder he gets.

Nuria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nuria

I like Mark Ruffalo as Hulk, he does a great job as Dr.Banner! Now Hulk is one of my favourite Avenger and I'm super excited to see the movie! I even found a video on youtube that shows you how to do a Hulk pillowcase, and I'm totally making my own one LOL I'm awful at crafting but anyway :D

Loading Video...

These is the video (for if you want to make it too) :D : https://youtu.be/lGM3vgZoK6M

LoL I Love HULK!

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton

Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth

Which Hulk looks better? 2003 by miles. 2008 Hulks looks horrendous

Which movie do you like more overall? I like both to be honest. Maybe 2003 takes the slight

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39006e28280
    deactivated-5a39006e28280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton

Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth

Which Hulk looks better? Which movie do you like more overall?

Hulk 2008 looks better and I enjoyed the film more.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still prefer Hulk 2003, a great film.

bfremming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bfremming

The current MCU is its own animal, and I respect the changes that Kevin Feige has implemented to make his universe work. Captain America: Civil war was a tall order, considering the numerous characters involved. Unfortunately, the complexities of these storylines have sidelined Dr. Banner in recent Marvel history, and others have argued that Hulk is a better "supporting character"; I couldn't disagree more.

Ed Norton is a phenomenal actor, and I can count numerous movies I have enjoyed him in. However, his wry attitude and outlook is a lot more Hank Pym than Banner, and so for this I will have to say I think Eric Bana's Banner is more accurate. In recent years Bana has become a great actor. I've seen him do snide comedy and vulnerable souls. In terms of the CGI portrayal: Ang Lee did a better job of paying homage to Hulk's increasing growth w/ anger and boundless jumps. The CGI wasn't as good as the 2008 film, but then again, it’s likely the Avengers captured that aspect better than either. Overall, the pacing of the 2008 film was miles better, so for many this is their preferred film. However, I strongly believe the storyline was much richer in 2003. I wish we could have had a better combination of both.

Extended Dr. Ross Section:

Jennifer Connelly is a striking woman, but more importantly, she has an edge that is needed for Dr. Betty Ross. The Hulk (2003) is an origin story, so we don’t get to see the fatigue and exasperation that eventually changes Betty into the true force she becomes in the latter comic storylines. Specifically, the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) has regularly cherry-picked aspects of the Ultimates comic for its Avengers series, but ignored Dr. Betty Ross. Comparatively, Liv Tyler is a sweet woman, and I think I can leave that there.

I fault Feige for not providing a “Dr. Ross” for the MCU, but he would have needed to get her portrayal correct. In the books, Dr. Ross has a “sick of their crap” attitude she assigns to both Dr. Banner and Dr. Pym. Of course, in the comic storylines we are treated to dynamics that are absent in the MCU films: Hank Pym is a modern character – not a supporting role – and a wife beater of Janet Van Dyne-Pym; Banner is caught up in a perpetual cycle of melancholy and hopelessness. Betty Ross is ultimately more attracted to Hulk over Banner, as Banner has almost uniformly lost his zeal for life. Ruffalo does a great job of introducing us to this attitude at the beginning of The Avengers, but by the end, and through his successive appearances, Ruffalo has a chip on his shoulder. This probably works better in the films, for inter-character dialogue, however.

Given Paul Bettany’s Vison character commitment, Marvel/Disney should investigate the possibility of returning Connelly’s Dr. Ross to the MCU universe. In most ways Conelly’s Ross would be an alternate reality version from the 2003 film, but it would afford great conflict possibilities between Natasha Ramanoff and the partial love interest storyline they’ve seeded. Ruffalo would pair finely based on their similar ages. Further, it’s a beautiful thing to reintroduce a similarly paired, now-older character, as she could bring a level of firey disdain for the 15-year-younger usurping Romanoff, in addition having a strong female in a high administrative position at SHIELD. While the comic books used Glenn Talbot as a love triangle conflict, Ang Less chose to terminate Josh Lucas' Talbot in 2003 (although he has been resurrected in Marvel's Agents of SHIELD).

Any resurrection of SHIELD in the films will need a level of authority and swagger that has now been lost (sorry Clark Gregg, you’re awesome, but you’re not enough). While I do not know Connelly’s sensibilities regarding commitments to long-running commercial projects (I sense she values her privacy), I cannot think of a better actor to dominate administrative direction over the men (Tony Stark, Rogers, Thor).

General Thunderbolt Ross:

I have met Sam Elliot, and he is a phenomenal actor. However, for the nature of the overall universe, I choose to appreciate a general mellowing of Thunderbolt Ross as portrayed by William Hurt (The Incredible Hulk; Captain America: Civil War), as would have been needed to ultimately assume a Senatorial role. Each of the actors plays an important role at a different point in a character's life arch. I will call their portrayals a tie; I like them both for different reasons. I chose to believe that General Ross is no-less impassioned of his beliefs, but that he has chosen to be more discerning about how to accomplish his ends.

Villains:

No Caption Provided

I absolutely believe it is a false choice when choosing between the villains portrayed by Nick Nolte and Tim Roth. Both did an admirable job and were playing roles in accordance with their scripts. I agree with what others have said: Abomination is borrowed from DC’s Doomsday. Now that we have a cinematic portrayal of Doomsday, I think it is fair to say that Abomination is a little less fearsome than he once was. For me, both films are appreciably good, but the Hulk comes out ahead by a few hairs, and the casting clearly was better in honoring the characters. Universal has paid homage to their own films in coordinating steelbooks. I don't own any other steelbooks, but I was glad to pick up these; they both come with Ultraviolet digital copies.

Really, I should start a petition for Connelly. Honestly, I should probably camp in Tribeca and try to convince Bettany to conscript his wife. From what I heard her state in interviews, he really likes good cheese, as do I. Clearly Connelly picked a winner.

Stimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great to see that I'm not alone in finding Ang Lee's "Hulk" vastly superior to "The Incredible Hulk", but it seems I am definitely in the minority...

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton > I like Ed Norton, but his Banner was unconvincing. I've never seen Eric Bana in anything but "Hulk", but found him to be much more sympathetic and believable as Bruce.

Jennifer Conelly vs Liv Tyler > No contest here...Liv Tyler CANNOT act and she did not look right for the part at all. Jennifer Connelly is a much better performer (plus extra points for being gorgeous!).

Sam Elliot vs William Hurt > This is the easiest one of all. William Hurt is a serviceable actor but Sam Elliot has the fire that really sells the General. Sam Elliot is General Ross as far as I am concerned.

Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth > The most difficult comparison. Tim Roth is one of my favorite actors and I don't think I've ever disliked him in a role. He was great as Blonsky. That said, while I don't have any particular affection for Nick Nolte, he was amazing as Banner's father. I hung on his every word (and not just because he slurred and grumbled through most of his dialogue) and loved his scenery chewing.

Which Hulk looks better?

I would say that "The Incredible Hulk" looked better as a result of superior technology, but such things matter little to me...I was happy with Lou Ferrigno's Hulk!

Which movie do you like more overall?

I think it is obvious that I liked "Hulk" better than "The Incredible Hulk", gamma-irradiated poodles and all. The drama was more compelling, the performances were far far better and it didn't rely so much on action to tell the story.

This.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.