Hulk vs Incredible Hulk: Which do you like more?

#1 Posted by Nowhere Man. (40 posts) - - Show Bio

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton
Jennifer Conelly vs Liv Tyler
Sam Elliot vs William Hurt
Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth
Which Hulk looks better? Which movie do you like more overall?

#2 Posted by Madros (322 posts) - - Show Bio

As a whole, I preferred Incredible Hulk to Hulk. 

But Sam Elliot was much better than William Hurt.

#3 Posted by glforthewin (2355 posts) - - Show Bio

incredible hulk. better villain. more smashing.  not much uneeded talking 

#4 Edited by The Englander (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton I think Ed is the best actor ever to be in a Marvel movie
Jennifer Conelly vs Liv Tyler, Much hotter and better actress
Sam Elliot vs William Hurt, Both did an excellent job
Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth I like Nolte's speech before the final battle, but Mr. Orange is one of my favourite actors of all time.

I think the 2003 Hulk looked a little bit better
I'm not sure which movie I preferred. The Hulk movie was unique and deep for a comicbook movie, but it lacked "HULK SMASH!!" unlike Incredible Hulk

#5 Posted by TheBat (33 posts) - - Show Bio

The first movie was decent all around - even had some cool standout parts like The Hulk bashing those tanks to bits in the desert. But overall I liked the second movie alot better. I thought Norton made the best Banner we've seen so far. It was, in my opinion, just as good of a flick as Iron Man in it's own way.  I know there's talk of The Hulk being in the Avengers movie, but I wish they could continue his story and do another movie with Norton as well.

#6 Posted by pentagram (312 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Englander said:
" Eric Bana vs Ed Norton I think Ed is the best actor ever to be in a Marvel movie
Jennifer Conelly vs Liv Tyler, Much hotter and better actress
Sam Elliot vs William Hurt, Both did an excellent job
Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth I like Nolte's speech before the final battle, but Mr. Orange is one of my favourite actors of all time.  I think the 2003 Hulk looked a little bit better I'm not sure which movie I preferred. The Hulk movie was unique and deep for a comicbook movie, but it lacked "HULK SMASH!!" unlike Incredible Hulk "
i 100% agree with you on jennifer connelly, i 100% disagree with you on ed norton
#7 Posted by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio

Edward Norton was and is an Incredible Hulk

#8 Edited by Grimstone (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, lets start by saying that I had been keen to see a follow up on Ang’s Hulk, but when I first heard that the Incredible Hulk ‘replaces’ the first Hulk, I thought why?   Sure, it wasn’t fast paced action from the start, but character creation was required, just like in the first Spiderman, or Ironman.

All in all, I loved Eric Bana as Bruce.   He was convincing as a mentally anguished scientist.   Norton’s portrayal was weak, flimsy.   Shame really as I think Ed is the better actor, but comparing the two in this role, I have to side with EB.

In support, again Hulk wins with Jennifer Conelly.   Loved her in Dark City, and she outshined Liv in every way.   Lets face it, Liv is only in the biz because of her mega star dad.   She only does Liv, not really acting.

Again (wow, I’m really biased ain’t I), the Hulk wins with Sam Elliot as Thunderbolt Ross.   The old meanie from Roadhouse convinces me that he takes no prisoners.   I like Hurt, but hey, there just was no comparison.   Hurt’s too nice.

And now for the enemy.   I love both Nick Nolte and Tim Roth big time, but (and you get no points for guessing), Nolte was huge.   Although both were believable, Nolte would have smashed the Abomination in to the ice age (as would have the Hulk against his ‘incredible’ carbon copy).   Besides, this movie, Abomination was nothing like the original.   He had the background of General Wade Eiling and the look of Doomsday, straight out of DC comics.

And as a final point, I liked the way Hulk looked in Ang’s version too.   It’s impossible to get a 20ft green dude looking right in any event, but Ang’s (for me) looked much better.

Wow, I’m soooo glad to get that off my chest. 

#9 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolte and Bana brought us such "great" scenes like this.  What "great" acting. Look at those actors act.

#10 Edited by Grimstone (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this 'father and son' moment.  It's the passion of the first movie that is lacking in the second.  The 'incredible' version was all guns and special effects, but with a really predictable (boring) story line.  With the first movie, you weren't sure how the story was going to pan out.  It kept me interested...
#11 Posted by Grimstone (3 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grimstone said:
"
Maybe i judge too harshly.  The Hulk, incredible or not,  has come a long way indeed. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3fEVgqoaok     "
I have that cartoon on VHS :l

Anyways, I preferred Norton over Bana, Conelly over Tyler, Elliot over Hurt, and I can't decide on the villains. Overall, though, I found Incredible Hulk to be much more entertaining.
#13 Edited by jasraj (4728 posts) - - Show Bio

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton- Better actor, and more versatile
Jennifer Conelly vs Liv Tyler- even though Jennifer is a better actor, Liv played the role of the CHARACTER better IMO 
Sam Elliot
vs William Hurt- Sam was more of a villian
Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth- Tim is a better actor and a better vilian 
Hulk Suit- The Incredible Hulk was better, Hulk (2003) was too fake looking 

Overall Better Movie- The Incredible Hulk by far, Hulk (2003) was very boring, The Incredible Hulk was more entertaining and just better

#14 Posted by Danial79 (2333 posts) - - Show Bio

Besides the strange "fakeness" of the Hulk in Hulk, I think it had closer proportions to the comic version. Also, I really loved the ending of Hulk when he screams, "TAKE IT ALL!" Other than that, Incredible Hulk was a much better film. 

P.S. Jennifer Conelly is a much better actress than Liv Tyler... and soooooo much better looking :P

#15 Edited by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the fight scnese a lott of Hulk 1 and the villian better
#16 Posted by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

the incredible hulk better film nuff said.

#17 Posted by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nowhere Man. said:
"Eric Bana vs Ed Norton Jennifer Conelly vs Liv Tyler Sam Elliot vs William HurtNick Nolte vs Tim Roth Which Hulk looks better? The first Hulk Which movie do you like more overall?"  The second movie.
#18 Posted by Blob (575 posts) - - Show Bio

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton 
Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth 
Which Hulk looks better? Which movie do you like more overall?  2008 Hulk by far. More realistic looking and threatening.

#19 Posted by goldenshot80 (7349 posts) - - Show Bio
@glforthewin said:
" incredible hulk. better villain. more smashing.  not much uneeded talking  "
#20 Posted by Kairan1979 (16711 posts) - - Show Bio

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton
Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth

#21 Posted by Ruudi9 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Norton made a perfect Banner - he brought the intellect and the lone wanderer characteristics I enjoyed from Bixby in the TV series. I can't see Ruffalo playing it better come Avengers time and I never got the genius scientist vibe from Bana in the first.

I have no preference on Betty - they're both about as good/bad as each other.
Elliot's Ross just edges it because of the outstanding stache.
To be honest, neither of the CGI Hulks connected in the same way Ferrigno did - the first was a little too big and the second was a little too emo (and I hated how he looked when he roared in the final battle, it just looked so false). If it must be CGI then can it be more like this please:  http://www.templates.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/the-incredible-hulk.jpg
#22 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4692 posts) - - Show Bio

The Bana Hulk was okay for the time, but at times it seemed Banner was angrier than Hulk. The five-year-old personification irked me, especially since it was a greater threat to the army than David Banner. Ross and his hatred puzzled me, because his motive was more in tuned to destroying the memory of David as opposed to stopping an unstable element. Hulk was also too damned tall.
The Incredible Hulk just seemed more like the comics, although I didn't really like the introduction of the chair Bill Bixby sat in to acquire his abilities. Using the super soldier plot seemed too much like the Ultimate version, which I never really cared for to begin with. Still, seeing Hulk appear only ten or twelve feet tall was nice. It reminds me of the older comics. I think I preferred Jennifer Connely playing a more understanding Betty, whereas Liv Tyler was just filling. At least the Ross in this version had a true motive.
Maybe Mark Ruffalo will pull off a better Banner than the other two. He seems to want to break away from the other guy romantic roles, which says a lot about him as an actor. I can only hope it doesn't spawn useless sayings like "Hulk have feelings!"

#23 Posted by logy5000 (5655 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

IMO Avengers Hulk beats them both in every way. Mark was better as Banner than Eric and Edward were.

But on topic, I kinda thought 2003 Hulk was interesting, how big he was, how fast he ran and how far he jumped. But I just gotta say Incredible Hulk was better.

#24 Posted by OmegaTheDestroyer (1009 posts) - - Show Bio

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton

Jennifer Connelly vs Liv Tyler

Sam Elliot vs William Hurt- I liked both

Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth- I liked Abomination more then that Absorbing Man thing

Which Hulk looks better? - Incredible Hulk was better

Which movie do you like more overall?- Incredible Hulk

all this aside, I prefer Mark Ruffalo's Banner and Hulk to both of these.

#25 Posted by Bane_of_sith (2780 posts) - - Show Bio

Incredible hulk takes it but there are moments of ang lees hulk that I really liked a lot,,but I'm biased for anything hulk

#26 Posted by Watcherg6 (263 posts) - - Show Bio

to tell you the Truth, Avengers hulk is the best, He Talks! way more than the others! I'm hoping this is the future of the hulk!

#27 Edited by PunyBanner (111 posts) - - Show Bio

It's great to see that I'm not alone in finding Ang Lee's "Hulk" vastly superior to "The Incredible Hulk", but it seems I am definitely in the minority...

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton > I like Ed Norton, but his Banner was unconvincing. I've never seen Eric Bana in anything but "Hulk", but found him to be much more sympathetic and believable as Bruce.

Jennifer Conelly vs Liv Tyler > No contest here...Liv Tyler CANNOT act and she did not look right for the part at all. Jennifer Connelly is a much better performer (plus extra points for being gorgeous!).

Sam Elliot vs William Hurt > This is the easiest one of all. William Hurt is a serviceable actor but Sam Elliot has the fire that really sells the General. Sam Elliot is General Ross as far as I am concerned.

Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth > The most difficult comparison. Tim Roth is one of my favorite actors and I don't think I've ever disliked him in a role. He was great as Blonsky. That said, while I don't have any particular affection for Nick Nolte, he was amazing as Banner's father. I hung on his every word (and not just because he slurred and grumbled through most of his dialogue) and loved his scenery chewing.

Which Hulk looks better?

I would say that "The Incredible Hulk" looked better as a result of superior technology, but such things matter little to me...I was happy with Lou Ferrigno's Hulk!

Which movie do you like more overall?

I think it is obvious that I liked "Hulk" better than "The Incredible Hulk", gamma-irradiated poodles and all. The drama was more compelling, the performances were far far better and it didn't rely so much on action to tell the story.

EDIT: I would agree that Mark Ruffalo's Banner from the Avengers movie was the best of the three.

#28 Posted by Farkam (4808 posts) - - Show Bio

Eric Bana vs Ed Norton

Nick Nolte vs Tim Roth

Ang Lee Hulk or Incredible Hulk?

Which movie do you like more overall? Incredible Hulk

#29 Edited by Bezza (3390 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk everytime..Ang Lee's art house didn't pull in the crowds, but super hero films were still a novelty in 2003 and I reckon it was the better film. So for me, each of the Ang Lee characters, except I found Nick Nolte's character a bit annoying and quite liked Tim Roth!

#30 Posted by Teh_pwnerer (114 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Eric Bana was the weakest of the 3 actors to portray the Hulk, but that final fight scene was easily my favorite between the two movies. "TAKE IT ALL!!"

#31 Edited by Erkan12 (2432 posts) - - Show Bio

Eric Bana was the best.

#32 Posted by louie03H (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok I made a profile just for my thaughts on this too be seen iv waited 10 years! lol ok first of all Eric bana played the best "Bruce Banner" in my opinion he had that nerdy thing goin pretty good and not too weak, Ang Lee's Hulk hands down was the best extremely more interesting he showed all his powers more in detail, the running the jumping the dog fight, releasing of his gamma rays too his father absorbing him the whole TAKE IT ALL!!! Scene Was just freaking epic! and the CGI was more than on point with interpreting the facial expressions in the transformation proccess from normal too Hulked out, the facial expressions of Ang Lee's hulk were much more in tuned with the way Eric banna would make a face with same feeling and emotion, ang lee's Hulk told a good story. And the way the scenes transitioned from scene too scene was so comic book like! Isn't that what a real comic creator or fan boy would expect it too be!? And as for the other actors I liked them all way more than the "incredible hulk" characters but "Liv Tyler" really!! She just looks good and only is in movies cause of her super rock star status daddy ,stay in the pictures girly and out of Hollywood PLEASE! I don't have enough time in the day too get into more detail about the others, anyways later and like Hulk says later PUNEY HUMAN!!

#33 Posted by Bezza (3390 posts) - - Show Bio

@louie03h:

Yeah I agree with much of this. I still love the first Hulk movie. The second one disappointed me on so many levels, although I did enjoy the "thunder-claps".

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.