Hulk vs Dracula: WHY?

• 59 results
Posted by Squares (7696 posts) - - Show Bio

So I just finished reading Fear itself #5, and lo and behold, at the back of the issue sat this:

Did anyone else just do a massive facepalm? Please tell me I'm not the only one. 
So what're we looking at? This is either promo art for a comic where Dracula and Hulk challenge each other to one hell of a round of Rock Band, stage some manner of concert, or engage in pointless and tiresome displays of how powerful they each are. Now you know why I can't bring myself to read Hulk titles (and why I still haven't read anything from World War Hulk). 
In the spirit of 'I'm not going to read this comic anyways', who wants to guess what it'll be about? In the aforementioned comic, the Hulk was sent into space or something by Thor, so can anyone think of any good reason he would come in contact with Dracula?
#1 Posted by Pacperson (307 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha yeah it did give me a bit of a pause.... pretty random match up....

What possible reason would Dracula have for challenging the Hulk? ....Um...maybe he wants to take his Hammer??? maybe...that's the best reason i can think of....

#2 Posted by Vance Astro (91289 posts) - - Show Bio

If you ask Trackz.Marvel is TRYING to make Vampires more popular.I don't know why they are making the connection between him and Hulk but Fear Itself is just like any Marvel event.There's always going to be tie-ins that don't make sense.

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Well of course DRACULA is in an event centered around fear. The irony, of course, being that the theme of fear isn't really explored all that much. It's more, "HOLY F**K THIS IS HAPPENING. OMG. WHOA. LOOK AT THAT." Then again, the Iron Man tie-ins have the perfect tone for it, that I really wish the entire event did (it'd be so much better as a whole if it did). 

#4 Posted by Squares (7696 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pacperson: Or he thinks some of the Hulk's blood will make him powerful or something. Either way, it's all pretty...odd.
@Vance Astro:  Who's Trackz?
@InnerVenom123: Why should Dracula be in an event centered around fear?
#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24967 posts) - - Show Bio

there are many super heroes with no business fight Dracula who do any way 

#6 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
there are many super heroes with no business fight Dracula who do any way 
Exactly. Only D should fight Dracula. Everyone else should be getting owned by him, except he's weak in the MU (comparatively). 
#7 Posted by Vance Astro (91289 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares said:
@Vance Astro:  Who's Trackz?
CV's resident Blade fan.
#8 Posted by Billy Batson (58206 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks like they're going to kiss...kinda, lol.

BB

#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24967 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: well his power varies widely in Marvel, some times he's a god like terror others he's just barely super human 
#10 Posted by Vance Astro (91289 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

BB

That seems like something Dracula would do.
#11 Posted by Billy Batson (58206 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
@Billy Batson said:

BB

I meant in mouth to mouth o_0

BB

#12 Posted by Vance Astro (91289 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:
@Vance Astro said:
@Billy Batson said:

BB

BB

So did I.
#13 Posted by Billy Batson (58206 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
@Billy Batson said:
@Vance Astro said:
@Billy Batson said:

BB

BB

So did I.

No more hickies from Dracula or does he still give them?

BB

#14 Posted by Vance Astro (91289 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:

No more hickies from Dracula or does he still give them?

BB

Ask Jubilee.
#15 Posted by Dernman (15264 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I think this is just a way to introduce the new Vampire team maybe book coming out.

#16 Posted by Squares (7696 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: Wha?
@FadeToBlackBolt: Who's D, and why does his name consist of a single letter?
@Vance Astro: Wow, we have a resident Blade fan? What kinda school do you go to for that, anyways?
@Billy Batson: You must kiss very strangely.
@Dernman: Why's that?
#17 Posted by joshmightbe (24967 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares: it's true sometimes Dracula has trouble fighting Blade while other times he can take down all the xmen alone without breaking a sweat 
#18 Posted by Dernman (15264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares said: 
@Dernman: Why's that?
There is a new Vampire team coming out and an event like fear itself would be a great way to draw attention to it.
#19 Posted by 0xymoron (173 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman: Where was that stated?
#20 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares: D is the guy in my avatar, and the protagonist of a Japanese horror series by Hideyuki Kikuchi. He's a Vampire Hunter, and the Dhampir son of Dracula, he's also probably the most powerful Vamp (aside from his dad in the series) in popular fiction. 
#21 Posted by Squares (7696 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman:  Okaaaay, what for? Is it a comic, who will be in it, what is it for...?
@0xymoron: Good question. Also, your avatar disturbs me for some reason...
#22 Posted by Squares (7696 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Right. Well, all that bears the question as to why you've brought him into the discussion at all, seeing as this is a discussion about comic books, not manga.
#23 Posted by 0xymoron (173 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares: LOL, That's the first time I heard that. And I was just about to change it.
#24 Edited by Dernman (15264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares said:

@Dernman:  Okaaaay, what for? Is it a comic, who will be in it, what is it for...?
@0xymoron: Good question. Also, your avatar disturbs me for some reason...

@0xymoron said: 

@Dernman: Where was that stated?

I saw it in a couple of promo's. Not much info has come out yet.
 This is the team.
http://www.comicvine.com/the-forgiven/65-58608/
#25 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares said:
@FadeToBlackBolt: Right. Well, all that bears the question as to why you've brought him into the discussion at all, seeing as this is a discussion about comic books, not manga.
It's not a manga, it's a novel series.  

And why'd you have to be rude? That just was just poor judgement. 
#26 Edited by Squares (7696 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Squares said:

It's not a manga, it's a novel series.   And why'd you have to be rude? That just was just poor judgement. 
How? Please, enlighten me, how was being blunt poor judgment?
@0xymoron: ...you know, I didn't think anyone could pull off light green hair, but she does it perfectly.
@Dernman: Ah, thanks! Any suggestions as to where one might find the promos?
#27 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares said:
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
@Squares said:
It's not a manga, it's a novel series.   And why'd you have to be rude? That just was just poor judgement. 
How? Please, enlighten me, how was being blunt poor judgment?
A) Because I was engaging in discourse with joshmightbe, who knew what I was talking about.  
B) I answered your question respectfully 
C) It was poor judgement because now you've annoyed me. 
#28 Posted by Squares (7696 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: You get annoyed incredibly easily, mister. Actually, the more I think about it, the more your comment starts to look like a threat. Are you threatening me?
#29 Posted by 0xymoron (173 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares: She can pull off just about any color, lol.
#30 Posted by 0xymoron (173 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman: I can't really say if the team looks interesting just yet, because it doesn't but I love vamps so I'll give it a try.
#31 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares: Nah, not threatening. Just telling you you were rude, and one should never be rude to a stranger ^__^
#32 Posted by Squares (7696 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Strangers, us? 
And one should also never give unsolicited advice.
#33 Posted by Dernman (15264 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares said: 
@Dernman: Ah, thanks! Any suggestions as to where one might find the promos?
I know one of the guys are in battle scars promo I don't know where the others are.
#34 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

Axel whatever his name is giving a speech to the Fear Itself staff:

"Some people ask why Hulk vs Dracula, I ask why not. We do these nonsensical things not because they are easy to understand but because they are hard to figure out."

#35 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares: Because he's a horror icon...? Duh? 
#36 Posted by Vance Astro (91289 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares said:
@Vance Astro: Wow, we have a resident Blade fan? What kinda school do you go to for that, anyways?
Moorehouse.
#37 Posted by joshmightbe (24967 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares said:
Manga are comics they're just comics from Japan, I hate this pointless distinction people always make between the 2
#38 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

Why?, indeed!

This is a terrible mismatch of power levels, characters and character archetypes.

It's really baffling why Marvel chose to do this one.

#39 Posted by greenenvy (634 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the theories I have thought of  to why this match up is coming about because if you think about it harder the hulk and Dracula are both horror based. I mean hulk is the modern example of Hyde and Frankenstein and Dracula have fought monsters like the original Frankenstein or even other green monsters against vampires. So this concept ant new, its been done many times so why are you guys complaining how stupid or weird it is I think it makes sense. Plus the story about fear well; Hulk and Dracula clasing equals a tone of monster fear duh. I hate vampires too but having the hulk kick some vampire ass makes kinda fun actually besides the only vampire I can tolerate is Dracula so yeah.  the hulk vs Frankenstein Halloween issue a couple years back is my favorite by the way.   

#40 Posted by joshmightbe (24967 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc: As I stated before it depends on how Marvel decides to show Drac, cause his power level seems to fluctuate widely. For instance he has given a good fight to the likes of Apocalypse and Dr. Strange in some instances while in others he's had trouble with street levelers like Blade  
#41 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@PowerHerc: As I stated before it depends on how Marvel decides to show Drac, cause his power level seems to fluctuate widely. For instance he has given a good fight to the likes of Apocalypse and Dr. Strange in some instances while in others he's had trouble with street levelers like Blade

True.

But after seeing the Hulk basically kick everyone's asses in World War Hulk it'd be pretty tough seeing Dracula, whose power is much lower, giving him a good fight.

#42 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

When I first saw this I thought it was a joke... I looked at it closer and thought, "Really?  REALLY?"  Sigh....

Who knows, maybe Marvel wants a Hulk Vampire now...   Dracula drinks Hulk Blood then Hulks out...

#43 Posted by entropy_aegis (15456 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares said:
@FadeToBlackBolt: You get annoyed incredibly easily, mister. Actually, the more I think about it, the more your comment starts to look like a threat. Are you threatening me?
Threatening someone on the internet?
#44 Posted by SC (13266 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, so Dracula and Apocalypse can go a round of fistcuffs but Hulk and Dracula can't because... its because he is green eh? That skinny hipster Kermit was right! Ain't no ballin if your green be fallin' playa hatin on the green cause y'all mean. That's why. Plus you know, Los Monstruos del Terror, Its a monster mash kit cash, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, like Frankenstein going down a slide? At least it won't be as bad as Wolverine's Van Helsing movie.  

As for what it is about? A girl obviously, these things are always about a girl. I bet they both like the same girl, who is pale and stutters and drops award statues, and is 15. Well, except in the Apocalypse VS Dracula mini, that was about guano.

Moderator Online
#45 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

though I've yet to read the take on it from this issue, reading of Fear Itself Hulk so far doesn't feel like the Hulk at all, but sort of a 1-dimensional big bad guy who other characters fighting, so I can say this is probably more of a Dracula comics book, and as others have pointed out part of Marvels attempt to make vampires (who sell like hotcakes one way or another) more relevant. So really if one isn't interested in Dracula or vampires I guess they wouldn't want to read this.

#46 Edited by Squares (7696 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123: You know what else is a staple of the horror genre? Cthulhu. You don't see Cthulhu/Hulk crossovers, do you?
@joshmightbe: The distinction is NOT pointless, the two have a fairly decent amount of differences.
@greenenvy: That doesn't mean it mates sense.
@CATPANEXE: That sounds like a fair assessment.
@SC: The Apocalypse/Dracula mash-up didn't make much sense either, and to be honest it seemed completely unnessecary. And unless the aforementioned girl is named Betty, I'm not sure it'd work well.
#47 Posted by joshmightbe (24967 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares: Is it sequential art with words? yes is it in book or magazine form? yes you know what else that's the exact description of?  That's right , comics. Anyone who differentiates between the 2 is engaging snobbery pure and  simple 
#48 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares: That's a good idea, now that I think about it. Particularly because Cthulhu would utterly destroy Hulk. 
#49 Posted by MrMazz (1306 posts) - - Show Bio

Man thats kind of novel and interesting to me. It gives me a good chuckle.

#50 Posted by Squares (7696 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@Squares: Is it sequential art with words? yes is it in book or magazine form? yes you know what else that's the exact description of? That's right , comics. Anyone who differentiates between the 2 is engaging snobbery pure and simple

That made so little sense I'm going to have to ask you to rephrase for me.

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Squares: That's a good idea, now that I think about it. Particularly because Cthulhu would utterly destroy Hulk.

Cthulhu is an elder god, Hulk wouldn't stand a chance.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.