Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Hulk's inconsistent power showings in the MCU,

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I know all characters suffer from this, but Hulk seems to more than most. In the 2003 Hulk movie, he threw a 70-80 ton tank over a mile away. In 2008 Incredible Hulk he seemed to expend effort just to turn over a Hummer !

In 2012 Avengers he downed a giant "space Whale" with a single punch, which was one of the most impressive feats I have seen in any CBU to date, but in 2015, his punches failed to destroy the much smaller Hulk Buster Iron Man suit (although he did make a reasonable fist of breaking it).

Is it any wonder DC fanboys don't take the Hulk seriously on the battle boards based on the cinematic universe showings?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

2003 hulk isn't canon so that doesn't matter. He was beating Tony besides the sicker punch and the rebuilding suit he had him

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Schwarz

Movies don't really matter. I mean would you consider the super mario movie canon in the mario brothers universe... Look how Michael Bay f*** up transformers and ninja turtles's story line. I would consider the movie as entertaining at most but they are just that. If the movies are canon then Agents of Smash and avengers assemble are too. And to tell the truth Hulk is very very very OP in those cartoon. Just an exemple. Mr Blue in the 2008 movie seems to be Samuel Sterns or the Leader. In the comics, Mr Blue is actually Betty Ross. Like I said movies are fun but as far as following the real stories, not so much.

The general public and a lot of fans of Marvel love hulk. I mean besides the Forum and keyboard warriors, in general people thinks of Hulk as a powerful monster and usualy one of the most powerful there is. I remember when I saw the first avengers movie people actuallt got up, screamed and laughed and aplauded when Hulk smashed Loki left and right with the famous quote "Puny God". I have not seen any moments like this in AoU. It was actually quiet in the theater the whole movie. Now as far as Hulk movies go, I think the reason they didn't rack up much is because they were not made well, lacked the advertisement and visibility that Marvel has right now. I guess they burnt it and made the franchise look bad.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thedailybagel  Moderator

2003 hulk isn't part of the mcu.

2008 hulk should just be swept under the rug.

As for the hulkbuster fight, hulk would have won if he didn't calm down. Tonys suit was beginning to fail and it had no more spare parts, whereas all hulk had suffered was a missing tooth.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Downing the space whale was impressive, but I'm just curious as to how strong would that put him, he knocked it down then it was still pushing him back, iron mans tiny missiles destroyed the thing in half so the inconsistencies are there

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234: those missiles are deadly, just search Ironman the Jericho.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Redatom1234

@kfabz-23: the missiles were the Jericho?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Hulk's power has always varied ever since his very first appearance. In the Hulkbuster fight as it has already been pointed out Hulk calmed down therefore he became weaker because the madder Hulk is the stronger he is.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nomar

You're extremely downplaying the Hulk Buster armour. It is a much stronger and harder to move contender than a tank or a space whale. Hence why Tony created an armour to battle Hulk. Comics are no different, so I don't understand that gripe. In comics a punch from 100 plus tonners should send anybody they hit flying for miles based on the fact that they don't have some sort of super density to them. Powerful beings defy that sort of logic to fight each other. Also based on a previous battle between IM and Thor, the HB would have beaten Thor due to his hits not generating near as much force as Hulk and his lightning being a power source. So there isn't any real low showing there. Again also Hulk only lost that fight due to calming down, the scene paints a perfect picture of that.

In both Avengers movies. Hulk is the only person that physically just humbles everybody he fights. Like he just makes them look like jokes with his raw strength. Avengers 1 he ragdolls Thor. He ragdolls Loki the main villain of the movie and puts him out of commission until the end of the movie with one attack. In Avengers 2 the twins and Ultron see him as the big guns of the team and the one that can do the most damage if mind controlled. He physically tears HB apart and IM needs replacement parts on the fly. He's also the only one to physically humble Ultron. Physical attacks weren't making him move much at all. Then Hulk hits him and he goes flying into the distance. Then Hulk just tosses him out of the jet. Also he's extremely accurate with his super jump and can get some major air as seen when he's holding BW.

Gigantonigro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gigantonigro

@nomar: He didn't ragdoll Thor in Avengers and I also disagree, that the Hulkbuster would beat Thor. And the two times Hulk confronted Ultron, he was heavily damaged from Iron Man, Vision and Thor.

You are biased

Nomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nomar

@gigantonigro: So what was happening to Thor when the jet was coming? Were they dong a dance? Your disagreement has been noted. Yes he was damaged from a combined energy attack not a physical one. They had no physical answer to him. The only time they had a good physical attack on him is when Vision hits him with Mjolnir while he's choking Thor. Did you really come on a Hulk board to call someone bias for supporting the person the board is about?

Don't make me have to post the Thor fight. Then again I'm assuming you may be a Thor fanboy so you'll see what you want to see and not what is actually happening on screen. Lets not get into the fact that the guy that Hulk puts out of commission in no time flat is the same guy that not only injures Thor with a knife, but also have attack exchanges in each encounter they have.

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Schwarz

@nomar: Really like your analysis on the whole thing. Hulk is shown to be marvel's flagship heavy hitter or physicaly one of the most powerful there is as Hulk would say himself. The movie Hulk is pretty strong and the cartoon Hulk (Avengers Assemble and Agents of Smash) is ridiculously OPed. Hulk is a bit of a let down comics wise though but people don't buy Hulk comics anymore, look at the bad writers we had for Hulk in the last few years...

But !!!! Future Imperfect TOMOROW !!!

Nomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schwarz: I've got my Maestro hype at full. The movies seriously need to give Hulk his signature attacks though. Need to see thunderclaps and tremor stomps and punches. The last time he did a tremor punch and thunderclap was in the Ed Norton movie and he only did them once for the wow factor.

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Schwarz

I would like to see him emanate some gamma radiations in a movie. I've seen him recently in avengers assemble and it was pretty cool.

IAmTheLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IAmTheLaw

@nomar said:

@schwarz: I've got my Maestro hype at full. The movies seriously need to give Hulk his signature attacks though. Need to see thunderclaps and tremor stomps and punches. The last time he did a tremor punch and thunderclap was in the Ed Norton movie and he only did them once for the wow factor.

Yes. That's one thing that bugged me about Age of Ultron. Sure, he tore it up against everyone he faced, but he never once did a thunderclap (and there was one great opportunity per movie), or used a catch phrase (they keep giving them to Iron Man / Captain America). Hulk SMASH, HULK IS STRONGEST ONE THERE IS. I also didn't like the cheap shot win for Iron Man, but it's clear Hulk is the strongest hero. Ultron didn't want to fight him.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nomar:

That's the irony, hes only ever done a thunderclap in the movie that gave the worse portrayal of Hulk, in terms of power, ever!!

I still think we need more consistent levels of power from Hulk, i.e. in Avengers 1 why did he revert back to Banner after falling out of the sky? Hulk is capable of taking that sort of impact easily....

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

That's the irony, hes only ever done a thunderclap in the movie that gave the worse portrayal of Hulk, in terms of power, ever!!

I still think we need more consistent levels of power from Hulk, i.e. in Avengers 1 why did he revert back to Banner after falling out of the sky? Hulk is capable of taking that sort of impact easily....

Hulk lacked a foe to fight. He landed and calmed down.

ironthor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nomar: firstly, I know this is not a "thor vs hulk" battle but if you are going to say things that are not taking into account relevant things which I will mention, not just that which we can see visually on screen then I will debate with you.

thor clearly states in thor the dark world that in the past he had held back against Loki but he would no longer do so and would kill him. Therefore you can't compare the hulk's and thor's fights against Loki. Then for being stabbed by Loki, it is likely that the blade was enchanted or powerful in some way and would have likely been able to pierce hulk's skin as he hasn't shown much resistance to cutting/piercing for example in the Incredible Hulk, the abomination pierced his skin with his elbow. Obviously the abomination is stronger than Loki but his elbow was nowhere near as sharp as loki's blade of asgardian origin.

Now their fight, yes hulk was shown to have the upper hand in the fight overall but evidently thor was holding back as the most he did to him was hit him 10m crashing into a quinjet and we have seen thor do much more than this. for example sending a frost giant MUCH further with a single blow in jotunhiem who was nearly the size of hulk. Also thor has three main feats causing destruction to masses e.g. The jotunhiem feat which was only the power of his lightning not his strength, the vaporising of the leviathan and the city buster (if you don't think this feat was all thor's power then please go to the thread on this particular feat, there is a good explanation, I have one on there as well) in the fight, thor was holding back for two reasons: not to destroy the helicarrier and kill many agents and also because he knew the hulk was banner who was an innocent man so he didn't go all out.

The thor/vision/iron man attack was energy based because it was more efficient in destroying his vibranium armour as physical attacks would require ultron being punched or hit so hard that he would probably be smashed far away from the city and they needed to stay there to protect the civilians and prevent the meteor strike.

The hulk is very powerful and I could imagine him being able to lift more than thor so he would win in a grapple although he couldn't overcome him on the helicarrier and thor was only using one hand and was not standing directly beneath the hulk so he wasn't using all of his body muscles. However, it is undeniable now that thor has the better striking feat. Also when hulk punched thor and thor blocked it there was no collateral damage but when thor struck malekith and he blocked it, the ground beneath them for about 50m around was destroyed.

Nomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nomar

@ironthor1: Before I even read what you posted I said to myself "I bet he'll say every showing where Thor isn't winning he's holding back". You seem to not realize someone can hold back and still mop the floor with their opponent. Heck Hulk exerted next to no energy to incapacitate Loki for the entire end of the movie. Heck he casually walks off after demolishing him. So that argument doesn't work. Nor is Thor making a statement to Loki and never having to actually live up to it. I'm not going to any thread about the "city buster" feat. I've watched the movie and paid attention and know the context. Just like Thor fanboys rewrote the Hulk vs Thor fight while it was in theatres. I'll wait for the DVD for A2 to come out so I can just post all of the context. You could "imagine him being able to lift more than Thor"? What planet are you living on where your statement is you can just imagine him lifting more than Thor? Your willingness to ignore context say mountains to me. I love Hulk and I have him losing in some of the topics I see him in. Thor fanboys god forbid you guys ever bend the knee on anything. If you can't outright say Hulk is physically stronger than Thor, there is major problem here and I can't have a discussion with someone who can't even concede on obvious points.

I almost forgot. Lol at trying to put Loki and his abysmal strength and stabbing Thor with a dagger on the same stage as Abomination harming Hulk. I don't even know how you think those things can even be compared. Heck Hulk wasn't even put down by it. Thor was.

Loading Video...

I mean anybody with unbiased eyes can see this wasn't some I'm not trying fight. Heck if I'm in a fight with a child and I hold back. You will see no signs of exertion from me. Thor is exerting himself that entire fight and even being knocked around by Loki's weak hits.

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@bezza:You do realize that the 2003 Hulk movie is not canon to the MCU, right?

Also, I have two things to say about the Hulkbuster fight

First, the comparison between the Leviathans and the Hulkbuster isn't quite fair. The Leviathans weren't designed to fight Hulk. The Hulkbuster was.

I would say that Hulk would probably have still won if he hadn't snapped out of the mind control. While I admit that Iron Man had the upper hand at first, the longer the fight went on the more it was in Hulk's favor. He was tearing the Hulkbuster apart, and Stark kept needing to think up some new tricks just to stay in the fight while Hulk just kept getting angrier and stronger. As soon as Wanda lost control over him, however, you could see him instantly calm down, confused, when he saw all the destruction around him. That's what let Stark win. And even then, it probably wouldn't have worked if he had waited any longer, seeing as Hulk was already getting angry again at the sight of the guns.

ironthor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ironthor1

@nomar: ok, virtually no one could beat the hulk in combat if they were holding back in order to save lives because as soon as they start hitting hard enough to damage to him, the collateral damage would be too great and the helicarrier would be at least partially destroyed and lives would be lost. So no in that case no one could have physically mopped the floor with the hulk even if holding back because there would be extreme collateral damage. So yes that argument does work.

I recognise that thor never lived up to the statement for obvious reasons but using simple logic; the fact that whenever thor has fought loki he has rarely sent him flying with his hits like he has to other opponents or used lightning (apart from that time on the bifrost which did floor him) makes perfect sense in that he was holding back in their other fights.

Well done for paying attention to the context of the city busting feat (no sarcasm intended seriously). Just to say i wasnt assuming you were a thor hater but just that maybe you werent fully informed of the context and that there is a place to find it.

As i said, yes hulk had the upper hand in the fight but i have proved that thor was holding back in my first paragraph.

When i said i could imagine hulk lifting more, i meant it but as neither have done much lifting in the mcu i said i could "imagine". However, as i said the effect of hulk's punch being blocked was nothing compared to the effect of thor's strike on malekith being blocked. But i accept that this was just PIS as if hulk's punch was anywhere near the punch to the leviathan then thor probaly would have fallen through the floor.

Who cares about my name, that should not affect the validity of my opinion. Please enlighten me as to how i am ignoring context, if i am missing something significant then i will reconsider the relevant part of my argument.

Please don't generalise here, i doubt you have ever seen me comment on another thor battle thread so don't assume i would never admit that thor would lose to an opponent. I believe that at base/starting strength, thor is stronger but the hulk can surpass him physically. Just to let you know i am talking about earth 616 for this. So yes however you want me to say it, hulk can become physically stronger than thor e.g. wwh is stronger than thor physically and wbh is leagues above him physically. This i concede.

In the mcu i think it is hard to say because neither have many lifting feats but i would assume hulk is stronger (that is what i would say if someone asked me which is stronger in the mcu). So don't say i am being overly stubborn or will not accept anything against thor.

Please give evidence or a valid reason proving that thor was not holding back against hulk. I know you think i am being a stubborn fanboy but i have provided the logic and reason behind my argument. If you can prove me wrong then so be it.

As you have edited your comment i will respond to that part here. You say i cant compare the two incidents where each guy got pierced because abomination is a lot stronger than loki but you dismiss the fact that abomination's elbow was not sharp like loki's blade which is of asgardian origin so would be both hard and sharp and potentially enchanted. The hulk was up against a wall when abomination pierced him so he wouldnt have been able to be "downed" like thor was. Anyway thor just went onto one knee and got up about 3s later. You said that I was willing to ignore context. wow.

Obviously thor exerted himself to an extent as loki is not that weak so if he did not exert himself, then he would not have put down loki which he did do but by not going all out and killing him or really badly injuring him as he still loved him.

Nomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nomar

@ironthor1: I'm stretched too thin with topics. Lets just agree to disagree. You've posted your points. I've posted mine. If other parties want to chyme in, be my guest. I'm just not a fan of doing the eternal back and forth.

ironthor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ironthor1
    dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't care.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..enough Hulk v Thor arguments, my thread was about Hulk's showings! That said, the MCU and the comics are not the same. Its pretty obvious that in the Cinematic World, Hulk is a step up from Thor, who has only yet really shown his true power in the first Thor movie, where he humbled the destroyer (most impressive) and one shotted that enormous monster...Thor needed two arms to push back one of Hulks in their fight, which says it all for me and that was before Hulk got really angry.

Anyway, re-watching that Hulkbuster Iron Man v Hulk fight again was interesting...the Hulkbuster really is an impressive piece of kit, but Hulk's ability to soak up damage prior to the "sucker punch" is quite amazing...

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

I know all characters suffer from this, but Hulk seems to more than most. In the 2003 Hulk movie, he threw a 70-80 ton tank over a mile away. In 2008 Incredible Hulk he seemed to expend effort just to turn over a Hummer !

In 2012 Avengers he downed a giant "space Whale" with a single punch, which was one of the most impressive feats I have seen in any CBU to date, but in 2015, his punches failed to destroy the much smaller Hulk Buster Iron Man suit (although he did make a reasonable fist of breaking it).

Is it any wonder DC fanboys don't take the Hulk seriously on the battle boards based on the cinematic universe showings?

One of a number of ways that Marvel deliberately tried to distance themselves from the 2003 film with TIH was that they tried to make Hulk more vulnerable. They felt that there needed to be a sense of threat from The Abomination in particular. They also wanted to make something that played more off the TV series that people were familiar with. Some people didnt know what to make of the jumping in the 2003 film (i read one review where the critic complained that Hulk somehow had the ability to "bounce") which would be why we never see him leap more than about 10 meters into the air.

Fortunately Whedon thought most things about the 2008 Hulk kinda sucked (he specifically dissed the Hulk's super-ripped, slightly anorexic look) and brought back a Hulk that is actually pretty similar to the Ang Lee Hulk in a lot of ways. Which is great IMO because i think Lee got so much right about the Hulk and how he should move etc.

Avatar image for underdogsupporter
    UnderdogSupporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Inconsistencies happen all the time but in the case for Hulk, it is simply based on his temper. His power comes from his adrenaline levels just like Hal Jordan's power comes from his determination etc.

Stimul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk actually was strong in 2008 movie. He was destroying vehicles and splitting them in half easily (it would take 11 million lbs of force per square meter to rip car in half). He thrown a forklift like a 'Softball'. He thrown a boulder the size of himself at more than a 45 degree angle up into the sky.

He only become stronger in "Avengers" where he stop Leviathan with one punch.

MindHulk21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nomar:You should add Veronica was created with Bruce Banner, hence it being to hold up against Hulk. Stark alone couldn't do that (Banner is the smartest there is)

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

love how not one person on this thread noticed that hulk basically had a skyscraper dropped on his head and all that did was cut scarlet witches mind control

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulkbuster wws made specifically to match/beat hulk. It's no pushover

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chris-sama: it's not all that impressive either

Considering, how long it lasted and actually managed to KO hulk yeah id definitely say it was impressive

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FangDaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Hopefully the Hulkbuster in Infinity War has better feats and pretty much every character.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand the logic behind Hulkbuster fight being a low showing. The suit was literally designed to fight Hulk, the fact that they were even just shows Hulkbuster is strong, not that Hulk is weak.

FangDaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FangDaNerd

I don't understand the logic behind Hulkbuster fight being a low showing. The suit was literally designed to fight Hulk, the fact that they were even just shows Hulkbuster is strong, not that Hulk is weak.

Nomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Nomar

I can't stand people who try to use the HB showing as a slight against Hulk. They show their stupidity and I have no further words to have with them. The movie makes it painstakingly clear that Hulk was powering down/calming and breaking from the mind control because he saw the people and the destruction he was causing. HB got the sucker punch in to end it there. Why this is so hard for people to follow? Oh that's rhetorical, I already know it's trolling and a certain characters fanboys.

LDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By LDM

@nickzambuto said:

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HaveAtThee

Marvel showcase strength by striking power rather than lifting big heavy objects.

Besides, look at the roster of Avengers Hulk is on. Besides he, Thor and (I guess) Vision the others aren't remotely in the same league in terms of overall power. If the big guns are showcased as the big guns often, the others will look useless.

Realistically, either Hulk or Thor could've taken on Ultron alone (with the others to clean up the robot underlings) or together and just destroyed him. Though I guess it's more of Marvel failing to develop a super imposing villain that can really hurt them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.