Hulk Rumor...Did Joss Actually Consider Rulk for The Avengers?

#1 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Heard this from a quote that Joss Whedon gave about The Avengers. There's a slight possibility that he wanted to add in Red Hulk to the film rather than Green Hulk,,,,,,

If that is true, than my mind has exploded. 

If someone finds the pieces, please mail them to me ASAP. 

Link that lead to my brain detonating. http://redhulkblog.com/2012/05/16/rulk-report-director-joss-whedon-considered-red-hulk-for-avengers-film/

#2 Posted by Inverno (13330 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather not see the Rulk any sooner in the movies. If he did that in the Avengers, I bet the Hulk would be rendered superfluous because according to everyone else the Rulk is 10 times better than the Hulk himself.

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (25047 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt Red Hulk was even a possibility for the first Avengers movie and considering how good he treated Hulk in the movie there's no way he was a second choice

#4 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat said:

I'd rather not see the Rulk any sooner in the movies. If he did that in the Avengers, I bet the Hulk would be rendered superfluous because according to everyone else the Rulk is 10 times better than the Hulk himself.

Indeed, unfortunately.

Maybe if they make a couple more Hulk movies with Mark Ruffalo then Red Hulk would show up. In fact, I'm almost certain if they make 1 or 2 more solo Hulk movies General Ross will make the transformation in one of them. Seems to be a great idea for a Hulk movie, honestly. And it would show that the original Hulk is still stronger, so you get that bonus too.

#5 Posted by RedHulk (77 posts) - - Show Bio
If it wasn't a quirky joke and Whedon was serious, I don't think it was ever a let's use Rulk rather than the Hulk situation. It was likely an early effort to tie in the Stark approaching the General Ross about "putting a team together" scene. Maybe some sort of cameo even.. with the General's eyes glowing yellow after Nick Fury looking away causing audiences to say.. WTF!

But agreed, having the Leader turn Ross into the Rulk would make an amazing TIH sequel one day!

#6 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13641 posts) - - Show Bio

I would've been pissed

#7 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio
@CaioTrubat

Rulk fans are not ultra religious and junk about Big Red. We just prefer the red versus the green, but acknowledge that Big Green is the "daddy" of Big Red; without the initial gamma bomb and the Bruce Banner conversion, Red Hulk wouldn't even have been an idea, even in the 80's when the idea of another Hulk started floating around (had to do with the paint job in The Incredible Hulk show). 

Now after that I would've been pumped to have a glimpse of Red Hulk, but without any back-up showing possible how Ross first became "infected" (maybe it was when Green Hulk broke his arm that some Hulk blood mixed with his to mutate him....?) then it wouldn't have clicked. Plus Red Hulk doesn't have the years on his and the story lines like Bruce Banner's Hulk does, so that is a big challenge. But with the Del Toro produced Hulk show coming next year along with Hulk and the Agents of SMASH along with a cameo in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, chances are very high that Red Hulk will at least get a boost in sales and maybe a nod in the next Avengers film or *hopefully* a part in the possible Incredible Hulk 2.
#8 Posted by celticcat (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Rulk in a Marvel film would be and look great.

#9 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt he considered that, and even if he did Marvel would never have allowed it.

#10 Posted by War Killer (20376 posts) - - Show Bio

If anything, I would rather see Red Hulk as a villain for Hulk in his next movie, as people already know who Ross is and why he hates Hulk. So seeing him get a powerboost so he could go toe-to-toe with Hulk would be believable and makes sense, though I doubt they would call him "Red Hulk" in the film, at least not seriously that is.

#11 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1542 posts) - - Show Bio

I have always been a huge hulk fan but have become an even bigger Rulk fan (never thought it would happen), but for Rulk to get into a movie they would need much more backstory. they could possibly do it through a hulk sequel considering the Leader was sort of created (hinted to) in the more recent film. that might work

#12 Edited by Chaos Burn (1787 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe in a Hulk film... looking forward to him showing up in Avengers: Earth Mightiets Heroes

also, in the films continuity, they wanted Abombination instead of the Hulk due to Blonky's militrary training (kinda similar to Rulk there)

#13 Posted by celticcat (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I too have warmed to Rulk and think he'd make an excellent addition to the Marvel movie franchise, they need to set it up with a story though, just can't have Ross/Rulk come in, needs to be built up, then bring him in.

#14 Posted by thephantomstranger (129 posts) - - Show Bio

I can totally see them tossing the idea around as a solution to the whole Norton issue...

#15 Edited by Rickbarry (1843 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how Rulk would be such a negative thing if he were introduced into the movie with Hulk or even replaced him. Marvel has done two Banner/Hulk movies. One was god awful and the second was average. What's wrong with changing it up? I'd actually enjoy seeing another Hulk on screen.

#16 Posted by AssertingValor (5412 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

I doubt Red Hulk was even a possibility for the first Avengers movie and considering how good he treated Hulk in the movie there's no way he was a second choice

this and nobody would have a clue why hulk was red......

#17 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@LordMaverick:

...You got me there.

Although we could bluff and say Hulk got a new paintjob. Maybe that'll convince the audiences.

#18 Posted by MrArrogant (149 posts) - - Show Bio

Would like to see Rulk in an incredible Hulk sequel, maybe not in avengers as it would be redundant to have two hulks. If they introduce M.O.D.O.K in Iron man 3 (as A.I.M are in it) and as the leader was strongly hinted at in TIH we're already on our way to the intellegenca showing up, so a Rulk in the decks wouldn't be too far fetched.

#19 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrArrogant:

I highly doubt MODOk's going to have any say whatsoever in a film. He may be a badass killing cyborg, but the fact that he has the biggest head since Krang in TMNT makes him a ridiculous choice, regardless of what the fans want.

Most likely if Rulk is ever created, he'll be a purely Leader based experiment. Either Ross goes to him to get his Hulk form, or The Leader kidnaps him in a state of madness and just goes crazy with his genes an junk.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.