Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7769 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Hulk 2014-

Avatar image for jaxthejester_2014
    jaxthejester_2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Agreed bud. Let him carve out his own legacy a bit.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#553  Edited By GreenScar1990

HULK #8

No Caption Provided

GERRY DUGGAN (W) • MARK BAGLEY (A/C)

ROCKET RACCOON & GROOT VARIANT BY TBA

AN “OMEGA HULK” SHOCKER!!!

• It’s RED SHE HULK’S turn to be needled by DOC GREEN.

• Doc Green visits and old friend. Wait -- he has friends!?

• Plus, you didn’t think we forgot about WHO SHOT BANNER?

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel.com- Tuesday Q&A: Gerry Duggan

The Hulk and Nova writer shares upcoming plans for Doc Green and Sam Alexander, plus see exclusive art!

Writer Gerry Duggan’s rolling out an all-new era in HULK, so we’re rolling out an all-new interview with him! All the better to get his take on everyone’s favorite green behemoth as well as a little NOVA action just for good measure.

Marvel.com: Gerry, where are you heading in HULK? And what elements of what's come before you did you want to maintain in your run?

Gerry Duggan: I really liked the assistants that Mark Waid wrote and as it happens, they dovetail nicely with what I wanted to do with the book. I have a couple dozen folders for Marvel characters on my laptop. Some character folders only have an idea or two; some have many pages of ideas, or ideas for ideas. These come in handy whether I’m asked to pitch on a character, or I’m writing a guest spot. “The Omega Hulk” was the blue chip idea in my Hulk/Banner folder. I’m glad editor Mark Paniccia dug the story; it’s going to be a fun time through the spring of 2015.

Marvel.com: Why “The Omega Hulk”? Why is that title perfect for this storyline?

Gerry Duggan: Well, Doc Green’s intention is to be the last Hulk standing, whether or not that is true, we’ll have to wait for the end. “The Omega Hulk” just sounds intense, too. If I was in a shop and there was a collection of 12 issues, all drawn by Mark Bagley, I would be leaving the comic shop with it under my arm. The elevator pitch is that it’s “an Armor Wars” for the Hulk crowd, and that’s not a lie but I’m leaving some big things out unsaid about the story and how it all fits in. I’ve been so excited about this story, that I actually set it aside and wrote most of the end already. I would estimate that issues #15 and 16 are largely written. Hulk readers have only gotten a chance to read issue #5, but I promise you, this team is going to stick the landing.

Marvel.com: Okay, in what ways is “Doc Green” different from all other Hulks and will most surprise readers?

Gerry Duggan: He’s a new Hulk persona. He’s Extremis powered, and smarter than Banner. He’s got a sense of humor, and he’s got morals, but it’s complicated. Feelings are irrelevant to Doc Green. He’s become the dominant personality, and he’s able to do it without sharing time with Banner. Or so it seems. Doc Green doesn’t sleep, for fear of giving Banner control. Doc Green doesn’t even identify with the name “Hulk.” He’s a dangerous character. He’s out to depower Hulks, and on the surface, that seems like a great thing to do for the Earth.

Whether or not he has private motives...only time will tell. Banner is interesting because there’s a monster inside of him, waiting to explode out. Doc Green is interesting because...he could be in the same boat.

Marvel.com: How do you see Rick Jones’ place in the Hulk saga? What do you want to say with him and how will he most impact the Hulk's current story?

Gerry Duggan: Rick Jones is one of our most important characters. Rick is our witness, the lens that we view the wonderful madness that is the Hulk universe. Doc Green fights A-Bomb in HULK #6, and then Rick’s story will really pick up.

Marvel.com: Now, Hulk's going after gamma-irradiated subjects, right? Why? And should they all fear such attention?

Gerry Duggan: Doc Green has only said he’s “going to cure them to help preserve life on this planet.” Any other motives remain unspoken, but there are developments along the way that might make readers question his alignment. Something quite...unsettling is on tap for the end of issue #9. Anyone Doc Green faces is in big, green trouble. Doc Green likes messing with people too. One of my favorite scenes is at the top of HULK #7. Bagley drew the most wonderful scene of Doc Green accomplishing a personal goal, but he’s really screwing with someone. I hope the surprise guest isn’t spoiled for people.

Marvel.com: Speaking of him, what do you love about working with Mark Bagley on this book?

Gerry Duggan: I could go on and on and on about Bags. He is one of the premiere artists working today, and I never thought I would be so lucky to get to work with him. This will be remembered as his story, and he’s never been better. His action is beyond compare, these double page splashes of the Hulks fighting will make you feel out of breath, and even better than that—and harder, too—is Bags nailing the emotional component. There’s so much happening with these characters that have been a part of a family for decades; some of the biggest gut punches are thrown with words in this story, and Bags’ close-ups on those moments are gold. I’ve always been lucky in collaborators. It’s especially true on HULK.

http://marvel.com/news/comics/2014/8/19/23110/tuesday_qa_gerry_duggan

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#556  Edited By GreenScar1990

@theacidskull: I don't think you'll have to worry about Kluh or Remender affecting Hulk or Gerry Duggan's run much, if at all. Why? Because in the Time Runs Out Avengers & New Avengers story arch, which takes place months after Axis, Hulk/Doc Green is his normal self.

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I'm torn between getting the awesome knock down brawl between Doc Green and his ex-wife Betty in November or the Fantastic Four's return to the blue uniforms. Both look good but Duggan finally delivered the entertaining, smart and powerful Hulk that Waid never gave fans in his run. Decisions, decisions...

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: True, but at least we have an excuse if Hulk/Banner does something truly horrific in nature during Axis. Not many characters have or get that in comics. More or less, we'll have to wait and see on the matter.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk #5: Omega Hulk, Part One

Loading Video...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I'm torn between getting the awesome knock down brawl between Doc Green and his ex-wife Betty in November or the Fantastic Four's return to the blue uniforms. Both look good but Duggan finally delivered the entertaining, smart and powerful Hulk that Waid never gave fans in his run. Decisions, decisions...

If this doesn't win you over, I don't know what will.

I cannot argue against such an awesome pose like that. Hulk it is then :P

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if it happens that hulk turns evil, i won't be a fan of him anymore. lol.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if it happens that hulk turns evil, i won't be a fan of him anymore. lol.

Apologies then because AXIS is making a new evil Hulk called Kluh. But it'll only be temporary I imagine.

No Caption Provided

This is a new incarnation of the Hulk, called Kluh. According to Remender he is the Hulks Hulk. I am not really sure what to think about it, but i know so little about AXIS to really comment on it yet and the event is still not here.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@lvenger: Well the Hulks's Hulk is going to fight Nova in the tie issue 23 and 24 of Nova's series.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..Man, having been out of the country for two weeks I seem to have completely missed the launch of the Duggan Hulk comic - doh!

So, I take it you like it and is it better than Savage Hulk?

i.e. which one do you recommend I stick with..

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#567 thedailybagel  Moderator  Online

@bezza: I'd recommend going with duggans hulk. The guys got big things in mind for hulk, and that Mohawk is just too good to pass up.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: I'd recommend going with duggans hulk. The guys got big things in mind for hulk, and that Mohawk is just too good to pass up.

Ok, I will check it out next week, sounds promising!

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: My advice? Keep up on both titles. They're great and totally worth it.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greenscar1990:

Thanks, yeah perhaps I will. seeing as Hulk is my favourite dude, I am sure I can excuse two Hulk books a month!

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@theacidskull said:

@lvenger said:

Did you pick up a copy of Hulk # 5? Got mine today and most enjoyable Hulk comic for ages! A good start by Duggan!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#572  Edited By Lvenger

@bezza said:

@lvenger said:

@theacidskull said:

@lvenger said:

Did you pick up a copy of Hulk # 5? Got mine today and most enjoyable Hulk comic for ages! A good start by Duggan!

I did indeed, a very good start to Duggan's run to say the least.

IAmTheLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excited to see Hulk duke it out with Rulk and maybe Skaar. Don't think the cure would work on Skaar, but the battle should be fun.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#574  Edited By Teerack

I just read the original sin series and I didn't know that Bruce was the one who made Doc Green after messing with the extremeis code.

@greenscar1990: Just seeing Hulk standing there doesn't mean we know anything about Banner/Hulks state of mind. That could just be a cover since it has Iron Man on it who doesn't sound like he will be an Avenger during Time Runs Out since his personality is changed and he and Cap had a huge falling out. For all we know since Kluh is described as "the hulk's hulk" it could mean that Banner stays in the hulk body all the time and then becomes Kluh when he loses control.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..bit late, but read Hulk #5 over the weekend and then again and its off to a great start IMO. Is It better than Savage Hulk though? The first story is building to an interesting finale.

Looks like things are on the up for us Hulk fans after a long, long time in the comic doldrums.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#576 thedailybagel  Moderator  Online

@bezza: do you know what's going to happen after this storyline in savage hulk?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#578 thedailybagel  Moderator  Online

@bezza: ahh, ok. Thanks anyway.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#579  Edited By Lvenger

@bezza said:

@thedailybagel said:

@bezza: do you know what's going to happen after this storyline in savage hulk?

NO I don't unfortunately, I think @theacidskull probably has more on this than me, or @greenscar1990....

Acid's on a 3 month break I'm afraid due to studying and personal commitments but I do know what comes after the current arc as does GreenScar who can confirm whether what I'm saying is true. In Savage Hulk #5-6, I believe Gabriel Hardman and Corrina Beckcho are doing a two part story set during the Crossroads arc (no idea what that storyline is though) where a Bannerless Hulk fights Doctor Strange. Here are the links:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Savage_Hulk_Vol_1_5

SAVAGE HULK #6

CORINNA BECHKO & GABRIEL HARDMAN (W)

GABRIEL HARDMAN (A/C)

• HULK VS DOCTOR STRANGE!

• An inter-dimensional race against oncoming ARMAGEDDON!!!

• Will HULK destroy an entire city to get revenge on DOCTOR STRANGE?

• Can Strange reach the humanity in Hulk in order to save them all?

No Caption Provided

And after this, Jim Starlin is doing an arc where Hulk goes into spaaaace and fights Blastaar, Annihulus and Thanos. The last one is bound to get both of you excited ;)

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#580 thedailybagel  Moderator  Online

@lvenger: thanos for the info mate, and believe me as soon as you mentioned thanos I started hyperventilating. By the way Are all these stories based in the past or are the latter ones (like Jim starlings arc) becoming present? I seriously hope hulk does well, I can almost guarantee he gets his a** kicked though.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: thanos for the info mate, and believe me as soon as you mentioned thanos I started hyperventilating. By the way Are all these stories based in the past or are the latter ones (like Jim starlings arc) becoming present? I seriously hope hulk does well, I can almost guarantee he gets his a** kicked though.

I believe all of them are set in the past though loosely considered 'canon' by Marvel. And regardless of the outcome, Starlin's depiction of a Hulk vs Thanos fight will have an interesting reaction from the fanbases.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#582 thedailybagel  Moderator  Online

@lvenger: hopefully hulk does well though I can see it going similar to gladiators and drax's fight.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

Thanks for that, I am really torn now about which Hulk book to keep with. I am not sure I can afford both!

I also agree with @thedailybagel..... we expect Thanos to win, obviously, but hope Hulk isn't just one shotted!

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#584  Edited By thedailybagel  Moderator  Online

@bezza: I'm praying for hulk to do well. I'm pretty sure it'll be an even fight until thanos reveals he was holding back or testing him or something like that then proceeding to tear hulk a new one.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel:

Well I admire your optimism, but thinking about the fight scenes in Infinity, I am not too hopeful...Thanos brutally beat down black bolt (who has defeated Hulk in the past), easily tanking a full scream from him and then went on to tank Thor's hardest shots with ease....

It would be great if Hulk could get angry enough to at least stagger Thanos a bit...oh well, look forward to finding out!

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#586  Edited By thedailybagel  Moderator  Online

@bezza: I'm just hoping for the best, honestly though black bolt beat hulk way prior to his amp and I'm pretty sure pak originally intended for skrull bolt to be the real black bolt. But yeah thanos is a beast.

Something that keeps me optimistic about the fight though is how hulk smiled at thano after he punched him during infinity. I mean hulk went from being knocked out from an effortless pimp slap to smiling at his punch, he's gotten stronger over the years. It's pretty much set in stone that he won't win but I'm willing to bet that he'd damage thanos to some degree.

Just gotta keep hoping for the best!

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: @thedailybagel: You're both forgetting that Hulk, during WWH, withstood a scream that tore a chunk off the moon the size of Rhode Island. Thanos did not take that level of damage/assault/ from Black Bolt during Infinity, because if that were the case all of New York would have been torn off the planet.

You both seem to forget that Hulk tanked Thanos' best shot and kept on coming, forcing Proxima Midnight to use the weight of a Supernova star to pin Hulk down to avoid further altercation. And this was just random Savage Hulk.

Thanos himself has compared Hulk to the Power Gem wielding Champion, a conflict which he mostly played it safe behind his shields until they began to falter, thus forcing him to teleport just as Champion destroyed the planet. He even stated himself to avoid direct altercation with the Hulk. Why? Because unless he uses BFR, all force is going to do is make Hulk come at him stronger with each passing second.

I can see a similar situation happening between Hulk & Thanos, especially given his recent BFR treatment of Gladiator in the recent Thanos: The Infinity Revelation. He isn't foolish enough to engage Hulk with pure force, cause even with his impressive powerset, in the end it would eventually lead to Thanos' downfall. All of Thanos power and destructive force would only serve to make Hulk grow angrier and stronger. Thus, instead of risking a battle which he knows would go on indefinitely and could most likely result in his defeat, Thanos would use strategy in the form of BFR.

Honestly, I look at the situation like this. There's a couple of scenarios which I believe will play out. I believe Thanos will either use/manipulate the Hulk into eliminating a powerful cosmic threat, because being the Strongest creature in the Marvel Universe and nigh-indestructible is exactly what the Mad Titan needs in this particular situation. Thanos won't get his hands dirty, he eliminates a threat to himself, and Hulk proves to be the Strongest there is.

If and when Hulk & Thanos come into conflict, I believe that:

1. It'll end in stalemate with no decisive victor

2. Thanos will use his tech to BFR/transport Hulk away

3. Thanos will pull a 'Champion with Power Gem' gimmick

One thing I've also noticed is that some don't know or realize that Mr. Starlin, though he did create Thanos, also likes and has a high respect of the Hulk.

That's all I've got to say on the matter. We'll see when this particular arch of Savage Hulk comes out. Until then, we can only begin to speculate.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#588 thedailybagel  Moderator  Online

@greenscar1990: whilst I appreciate your optimism thanos is just on another level when it comes to power. He's got similar (if not superior) strength compared to hulk, the durability that would make it nigh impossible for hulk to put him down and the tech+ranged options to give hulk a beating wherever he feels like it.

As for infinity revelation, thanos was just playing it smart. He beat beta ray bill down in a few punch and Ronan didn't serve much better, Adam warlock knocked out quasar and surfer purely because he knew they didn't stand a chance against thanos. He wasn't scared of gladiator IMO, just making his job easier.

As for jim starlin, him writing it makes me fill optimistic. It's pointless to be really excited for an upcoming story if your just gonna have the protagonist (hulk) get the sh*t knocked out of him so it'll be a good fight, hopefully.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh look more overrated wishful thinking about Hulk's chances against Thanos. It's not like Thanos has a vast array of powers capable of KOing or killing Hulk and it's not like he's fought against more powerful opponents like Tyrant or even Odin and lived to tell the tale.

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedailybagel: With all due respect, other than BFR'ing the Hulk, I don't see where Thanos is going to put him down at all given Hulk's powerset and every increasing response when assault by force-based attacks whether they be blunt, edged, or energy based. Even with his tech, I find it more likely that we'll have a situation similar to Thanos' altercation with the Power Gem wielding Champion than anything. And you're forgetting that neither Thanos or Hulk needs to win in this altercation for it to be interesting/satisfying.

If it comes down to a stalemate, with Hulk proving he's stronger and just as durable as Thanos while the Mad Titan proves to be more strategic and resourceful, I think it would be a win for both sides of either fanbase. Don't you agree?

As for what happened in Infinity Revelation, I'm not surprised. Ronan has had trouble with the Thing even with his weapon. Beta Ray Bill was deprived of Stormbreaker and didn't get a chance to breathe, thus allowing Thanos to lay him out with numerous powerful blows infused with cosmic energy. And Quasar & Surfer were sucker-punched from behind by Adam Warlock, whose a formidable enough opponent to surprise and even render them unconscious with a powerful enough blast.

But I'm not here to argue or debate. I'm just stating my opinion along with some very notable facts. And they come down to these 3 scenarios.

1. It'll end in stalemate with no decisive victor

2. Thanos will use his tech to BFR/transport Hulk away

3. Thanos will pull a 'Champion with Power Gem' gimmick

And if you ask me, all three of these scenarios are solid choices.

IAmTheLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When is this battle between the two supposed to drop? Hopefully soon, I always look forward to their altercations.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#592  Edited By Bezza

@greenscar1990:

Hey dude, good points...

I would point out that the WWH Black Bolt was a Skrull and he merely whispered at Hulk before he was grabbed and pummelled, where as BB did this to Thanos

No Caption Provided

Also, Thanos really only slapped Hulk away, so we didn't see how Hulk would stand up to the sort of beating Thanos gave the silver Surfer.

No Caption Provided

I think I am right in saying that Hulk and Thanos have never actually faced off in a proper 1 to 1 clash, so its all conjecture on everyone's part. Logic suggests Thanos is too powerful for Hulk, but hey I am just looking forward to the battle. Also, yep, Jim Starlin is a legend. Creating Thanos and Mongul, two of the best baddy bruisers in the business!

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: You're still forgetting a major detail. Pak intented it to be the real Black Bolt, until Bendis had to ruin/recton it. Nonetheless, the Skrull Bolt had the same level of power as the real deal. I mean, that scream tore a chunk off the Moon the size of Rhode Island! BB's screams to Thanos didn't even achieve that level of power or damage.

And you may also notice that when Thanos struck Hulk, it was at full force, because Thanos blows to Thor & Captain Marvel were nowhere near as powerful/impactful. Still, Hulk shrugged it off. Not here to debate, just stating the facts.

We'll see when Savage Hulk #7 comes out this December. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Starlin has Thanos acknowledge how powerful Hulk is. Call me optimistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if Starlin has the Jade Juggernaut give Thanos a solid fight that ends in a similar manner of the Power Gem wielding Chamipon.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greenscar1990:

I hope you right 'bro, I do and yeah, Hulk did well to get straight back up from that smack that Thanos gave him. He fared much better than Black Bolt!

GreenScar1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55361

CBR: DOC GREEN OPENS HIS GAMMA-POWERED PRACTICE IN DUGGAN'S "HULK"

user posted image

In the Marvel Universe, Bruce Banner is renowned for his intellect and his alter ego, the Hulk, is infamous for his strength. There have been instances where Banner's personality gained control of the Hulk's immensely powerful physical form, but the savage Hulk has never been both the smartest and strongest there is -- until now!

New series writer Gerry Duggan and artist Mark Bagley introduced readers to Doc Green, an Extremis-enhanced Hulk who is possibly even smarter than his "puny" alter ego and is in total control of their shared form. The issue also gave readers hints of Doc Green's grand plan: to eliminate other gamma enhanced heroes and villains from the Marvel Universe. What's caused this newest incarnation of the Hulk to embark on such a scheme? And how driven is he to accomplish his quest? Duggan spoke with CBR News about introducing Doc Green, what that means for Banner and the future of his "Hulk" run.CBR News: Gerry, in "Hulk" #5 we met the newest incarnation of the title character, Doc Green. Green is not exactly like this character, but if I had to find a past incarnation of the Jade Juggernaut that he's most like I would have to say the "Gestalt" Hulk who led the Pantheon. Is that a fair comparison?

Gerry Duggan: I think so. There have been times that Hulk has displayed some real intelligence. What separates this Hulk, I think, is he's never been as smart as he is now. His intelligence is greater than Banner's. I also think it's safe to question his moral alignment. What is interesting to note is that Doc Green doesn't identify with any previous incarnation of the Hulk, and even dislikes being called "Hulk."

Hulk has always had the power to back up his claim that he's the strongest there is, but does he now have the intellect to stake the claim that he's the smartest there is as well?

For sure. In fact I think he actually says that in an upcoming issue. I think this Hulk is a little scary. It's easy to see why his mission of depowering these other Hulks is a good idea, but if you're a huge fan of one of these Hulks then I think it's safe to say he's not the hero in this story.

I mentioned the Gestalt Hulk earlier, which was controlled by Banner's personality, but Doc Green is different because this is essentially a super genius level Hulk who has locked away Banner's persona. Is that correct?

That is correct. As the first part of our story progresses you'll get to meet Doc Green a bit more. He's dominating the Banner persona in the way that Banner used to dominate the dumb Hulk. Doc Green doesn't go to sleep because he doesn't want to let Banner out. He doesn't want to risk Banner taking the wheel for extended periods of time because this is Doc Green's moment.

He calls Banner his silent partner and he looks at Banner as an antagonist and a captor. So he has no interest in letting Banner out ever again.

Are there traces of the Hulk's gray "Joe Fix-It" persona in Doc Green as well? Like his cunning and ruthlessness?

That's going to be up to interpretation.

I'm not the smartest guy in the world, but I know some really smart people. Some of the funnier people I know are some of the smarter people I know. Some of the "Simpsons" writers are giant brainiacs. They have chemical degrees. And Doc Green is by no means a funny character, but I think he's capable of seeing the humor in the world around him. He also likes messing with people. There's a really fun cameo coming up that I don't think people will be expecting to turn up in a Hulk book; several actually. There's something accomplished in that scene, but it's also Doc Green messing with people.

We're soliciting issue #9 soon and Kitty Pryde is on the cover. I really like writing her. I've really only had one other opportunity to do that. I think it will be fun because even though she has seen everything this planet has to offer as well as a good chunk of outer space it's still freaky to be standing with the Hulk, especially this guy who is talking and occasionally walking around with brief cases.

The emergence of Doc Green means the storyline about the wounded Bruce Banner is over, but that doesn't the mystery of who shot Banner is over, correct?

Right. When that unfolds it will unfold very quickly. In "Hulk" #5 Doc Green calls it a personal matter. He knows who shot Banner, but you have to remember he's only free because Banner was shot. So his reaction to confronting Banner's shooter might surprise people. I really value being able to surprise people and I hope this "Hulk" run for what it does, what it accomplishes, and what it doesn't accomplish will surprise people.

As you mentioned, this storyline is about Doc Green's quest to eliminate the other gamma-powered beings from the Marvel Universe. Can you talk about how driven he is in this quest? Is he willing to give the other Hulks a chance to peacefully remove their alter egos? And if they don't want to go peacefully is eliminating them with extreme prejudice an option?

Yes, he's not unreasonable. Once he makes his mind up he's not going to change, but I don't think these characters are excited about losing control. For really all of them the difference between their gamma-powered personas and the Hulk's is there's some level of control.

When Rick Jones became A-Bomb he was a hero. What I think is fun in getting Rick back. Not A-Bomb. Rick. In issues #6 and #7 there are some scenes that Mark Bagley has just done an amazing job on that are very emotional. At a point in the near future Rick discusses what life is like when you have a gamma-monster in you. I'm very happy with how these scenes have landed. It's not all emotional. I think the best action scene I ever wrote is coming up in "Hulk" and it involves lava.

Currently, we don't exactly know why Doc Green is confronting and delivering ultimatums to gamma-powered characters. You mentioned earlier though that it is safe to be questioning the Hulk's motives in this story. Is there a clear moral high ground in this arc?

I'm looking forward to the debate over the morality of the Hulk's actions. He does things that are great and he also does things that are kind of awful. In an issue coming up Doc Green does something that is very extralegal and maybe immoral, but he's doing all of this out of a pure sort of vision. Feelings and human laws are irrelevant. Certainly our morality is also irrelevant. He's going to do what he's going to do and you're welcome to try and stop him. He is doing this for the greater good. We can only hope it's our greater good -- or just his.

Gerry Duggan Unleashes the Ω "Hulk"

When we first discussed your "Hulk" run you cited the Iron Man storyline "Armor Wars" as an inspiration for Doc Green's mission, but you weren't able to go into any real detail. Can you talk a little more about that now?

It is an inspiration, but, and this might be too "Inside Baseball," from Doc Green's perspective he's clearly stated what he's doing, but is he doing what's doing for altruistic reasons? Or is he doing this for his own purposes in terms of eliminating rivals? That's something I'm not sure we'll ever land on one way or the other. I'm more interested to see what people think. Stark wanted to eliminate how his technology was being mis-used by rivals. Doc Green didn't open the gamma-genie bottle, but he is going to shove a cork in it.

Let's move from Doc Green to some of the people he's confronting. You already talked about writing Rick Jones, and after Doc goes after him he'll set his sights on the Hulk's son, Skaar. What's it like writing Skaar and bringing him back into the book?

It's a lot of fun. I really admire the stuff that Greg Pak, and a lot of my predecessors, have done, and just because I'm writing this story doesn't mean I don't adore these other Hulks. I do, especially individually. They're all sort of wonderful, but some times bad things happen to good characters. [Laughs]

The thing to remember is, individually every Hulk is a good idea, but when you look at it from above -- that's any awful lot of Hulks running around. Fewer Hulks means fewer possibilities for extinction level events.

In writer Monty Nero's upcoming "Hulk Annual" Doc Green will be forced to confront a new foe. It sounds like what he sets up in the Annual will have significant impact in the story you're telling. Perhaps not immediately, but further down the road. Is that correct?

Yeah I think so. Monty came in and really impressed with this annual. I think it will be remembered as a great stand alone story that then has threads back to the main continuity of the book. Having done things like that he sort of make it look effortless. Finding a way to tell a stand alone story and then have it reverberate it hard. He's done a great job. I can't wait to see the finished story. [Editor] Mark Paniccia has done a great job with the Hulk universe, I'm proud to have been invited to contribute. He knew that Monty would crush on the annual, and boy was he right.

Since we're on the topic of collaborators, when we last chatted you were super excited to be paired with artist Mark Bagley on this book. How is it now that you guys have released one issue to the public and are hard at work bringing to life more of Doc Green's exploits?

I know this is going to sound like the typical sort of thing that maybe everyone tries to put forth in an interview, but I'm so happy. A double page spread of his from issue #9 came in today and it is my favorite of the run so far. I keep saying that though. He keeps topping himself. I truly think this is the best art he's ever done, and I know that's saying something.

He's really putting a lot of love and attention into these pages. He's bringing so much more to it that by the time he's done with a page it's better than when it fell off my typewriter. The storytelling is better. So it's a hell of a thing.

I feel very, very lucky to have Bags because he can do the big widescreen action, And the emotional close up. Sometimes I don't even want to put a balloon on some these panels because they're so good silent. The actions have consequences for all these people. We're dealing with Hulks, but they're also human beings. So he's able to get both sides of that coin. "Hulk" #9 has some of the funniest, and scariest, moments I've ever written. Big action, and major consequences. "The Omega Hulk" also contains seemingly small story points that might have extraordinary consequences for Banner, Doc Green and the Marvel Universe moving forward.

Speaking of consequences, I want to conclude by talking about how Doc Green's actions will impact three different books and how those books will impact "Hulk." First, Green's quest to rid the world of gamma-powered people means he'll eventually run afoul of the Leader and the Red Hulk, General Ross, who are both appearing in "Thunderbolts." Do you have plans for those characters, and if so what can you tell us about them? Will they appear after the current "Thunderbolts" series wraps?

For Ross, I talked to ["Thunderbolts" writers] Ben Acker and Ben Blacker and Jordan [D. White] is editing that book. He's my "Deadpool" editor, so we're tying into T-Bolts in some unexpected ways. We're working together.

The Leader will be addressed at a later date, and Ross is a military guy. He knows the best defense is a good offense. So he may not wait around for Doc Green to ring his doorbell. The fun thing about Ross and the Hulk right now though is they don't know each other's whereabouts. They don't know how to find each other. You see Ross before this, but you'll definitely want to pick up "Hulk" #10. It's going to be a fun, and an important issue. It's the one I'm writing right now.

It's crazy, "Hulk" #5 is on stands this week and I'm writing the end of that trade paperback. So we're a motivated team and we're really plowing through it. My editor Mark Paniccia, Mark Bagley, [colorist] Jason Kieth and everyone have been turning in really great and extra wonderful work.Another book that I imagine will impact the story you're telling is you're friend Rick Remender's "Avengers & X-Men: AXIS." It was recently revealed that the events of "AXIS" will unleash a character that's been described as the Hulk's Hulk. Will that character only be part of "AXIS" or will he spill over into your book as well?

"AXIS" will have consequences in "Hulk." I don't want to talk about how. I know that's frustrating, but I think anything I say would potentially upset both my book and Rick's. We are excited though to be playing with some of these big toys and the Hulk's Hulk is one of them. Hulk fans will need to add "Nova" #23 and #24 to their pull list. They'll know why from the covers.

There's one final book I wanted to ask you about. We now know, because of the "Time Runs Out" covers, that Doc Green will have some sort of ties to the Avengers. Will his role with the Avengers filter back into "Hulk?"

Yes, but at the moment the story of the Omega Hulk is sort of the best story that was on my hard drive. That was the one I pitched to get the job and I won't have the page count to necessarily do too much with the Avengers, but obviously what's happening in this "Hulk" book may affect a great many other books depending on whether there are Hulks in them now. "Thunderbolts" would have been an interesting title to continue reading. You'll see.

Whatever Hulk is your favorite I think you're going to see that character coming up. I know I've been very vague about the morality of Doc Green. I know where it is and he's a complicated guy. I think the fun thing about this Hulk is that he, like Banner, may have something worse inside of him.

This series is so tightly outlined that I'm already writing that second trade. I'm super excited. I hope one day we can pick up one volume that has all these great issues. It will be worth it for Bagley's contribution alone. Plus, check out those Gary Frank variants. I've always been lucky in collaborators, and that's especially true on "Hulk." Thanks for reading!

"Hulk" #6 goes on sale September 17.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: I'm praying for hulk to do well. I'm pretty sure it'll be an even fight until thanos reveals he was holding back or testing him or something like that then proceeding to tear hulk a new one.

I doubt there is much if any of a fight between the two. The story is apparently part of the setup for Starlin's next Thanos mini. I'm guessing we will see Thanos recruit/manipulate Hulk in to doing/getting something for him.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Oh look more overrated wishful thinking about Hulk's chances against Thanos. It's not like Thanos has a vast array of powers capable of KOing or killing Hulk and it's not like he's fought against more powerful opponents like Tyrant or even Odin and lived to tell the tale.

I wouldnt be so sure. Starlin has shown that he has a lot of respect for the Savage incarnation of the character in the past (Thanos' comparison of Hulk to the Power Gem wielding Champion, The Big Change, Hulk's performance vs the Celestial Order vs the other Defenders in Thanos: The End). Starlin's Thanos is also a fair bit more "down to Earth" than Hickman's IMO - contrast how he dealt with BRB & Gladiator in Infinity Revelation vs Infinity where he just stood there & tanked Thor's best shots.

At any rate I'm not anticipating much direct conflict between the two.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#598 thedailybagel  Moderator  Online

@fifthchild: it won't be prolonged but come on, who would pass up the opportunity to have hulk and thanos to duke it out? If only for a few panels. I doubt starlin would be so eager to do the story if he wasn't going to have a confrontation between the two, that would be the main appeal of the book.

bonifidehustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fellow Hulk fans is it safe to assume Doc Green is the smartest being on earth now?

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fifthchild: it won't be prolonged but come on, who would pass up the opportunity to have hulk and thanos to duke it out? If only for a few panels. I doubt starlin would be so eager to do the story if he wasn't going to have a confrontation between the two, that would be the main appeal of the book.

I think the main appeal for Starlin is to get more Marvel work & setup more Thanos/Infinity stories. I could imagine a page or two of battle but I wouldn't expect much else.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.