Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Heavy, Bulky, Lean?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Heavy

Stocky, muscular, more body fat, built like a pro wrestler or an oldtime strongman

Bulky

Exaggerated muscle mass, like by an extreme steroid abuse

Lean

Smaller waist, less muscle mass, thinner legs, more of a sporty physique

What is the right physique for the Hulk?

Bulky, followed by Lean.

Somewhere between heavy and bulky. The Avengers leaned more towards the heavy side, and I quite liked that. The Hulk is supposed to be big, monstrous, to some degrees, grotesque. Having him look like a lean and mean body builder or Arnold Schwarzenagger painted green just doesn't sit right with me. When he looks like that, he's just a big green dude running around. When he's heavier, like in Avengers, he doesn't run, he CHARGES. Seeing something that big suddenly bolt from zero to sixty is a lot more alarming and conveys 'this thing will hit you like a freight train' a lot better: A lean, super ripped Hulk, like 2008, okay, he's athletic, he's muscular, this LOOKS like it's built to move like an olympic athlete, and on a similar scale. I can recognize this appearance, and how it conveys the ability to do this. I can understand this.

A heavier Hulk? HOLY CRAP THAT THING'S FAST HOW IS THAT FAST IT'S BUILT LIKE AN ELEPHANT OH MY GOD. A good Hulk should startle and surprise you. It should be monstrous, in that it's just a bit beyond what you can understand. The Heavy style does this better than the ripped body builder look.

Bulky - Heavy looks too ugly and Lean looks too superheroic and not enough monster.

What JonSmith said, verbatim.

@jonsmith said:

Somewhere between heavy and bulky. The Avengers leaned more towards the heavy side, and I quite liked that. The Hulk is supposed to be big, monstrous, to some degrees, grotesque. Having him look like a lean and mean body builder or Arnold Schwarzenagger painted green just doesn't sit right with me. When he looks like that, he's just a big green dude running around. When he's heavier, like in Avengers, he doesn't run, he CHARGES. Seeing something that big suddenly bolt from zero to sixty is a lot more alarming and conveys 'this thing will hit you like a freight train' a lot better: A lean, super ripped Hulk, like 2008, okay, he's athletic, he's muscular, this LOOKS like it's built to move like an olympic athlete, and on a similar scale. I can recognize this appearance, and how it conveys the ability to do this. I can understand this.

A heavier Hulk? HOLY CRAP THAT THING'S FAST HOW IS THAT FAST IT'S BUILT LIKE AN ELEPHANT OH MY GOD. A good Hulk should startle and surprise you. It should be monstrous, in that it's just a bit beyond what you can understand. The Heavy style does this better than the ripped body builder look.

This^^^

Full, solid, and massive like a car is the way Hulk should be!

bulky. ed mcguines bulky. PERFECTION.

@zardu: avengers movie hulk. followed by hulk 2003 movie. and my least liked version incredible hulk hulk. that was just ugly.

@zardu: it was decent but too stringy. and the face looked so cheap and undetailed. when i look at avengers hulk he looks like ruffalo. and it is awesome. all they need to do is make him a little less like an ape. and give him a movie already.

@theacidskull: I don´t know. To me it looks like a caricature. But here he seems to be more muscular.

@theacidskull: I found this Hulk sketch. I think this Hulk is bulky, but the human anatomy is still there. The more human the Hulk is, the more realistic he looks. (I know, he is not 100% human and he shouldn´t be, but the proportions - exaggerated or not - should still remain presentable.)

No Caption Provided

Bulky but not flabby

I don't mind, as long as the art is good.

I like him bulky.

Bulky

Depends on the artist...I think Tim Sale did a Heavy Hulk and it fit his style. Dale Keown did a Lean Hulk and that was just right for his style. McGuinnes did a Bulky Hulk and for him it was best. As with most thing comic art: the style of the artist determines what works best for the character.

S/N: It should be mandatory that Spider-Man always have under-arm webs and Wolverine go back to the brown costume.

No Caption Provided

Bulky. Not a fan of this lean hulk or what ever size you want to call it..

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

This for bulky becuse of that unstoppible behemoth factor.

Or this for lean to give into the whole savage beast.

Bulky and ripped.

Paul Pelletier and Ed McGuinness draw the best Hulk.

@theacidskull: AHA! Then we are both in agreement. As if that's a surprise to anyone ;)

Keown Hulk followed by Pelletier Hulk for me

No Caption Provided

Bulky.

Doesn't matter to me.. As long as Hulk looks powerful ! 2008 movie hulk looked like he could barely hit 50 tons ! 2003 and Avengers looked like they easily surpassed 100 tons at base ! In comics.. As long as he looks powerful.. I'm good !

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.

Loading More Images