Heavy, Bulky, Lean?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Zardu (346 posts) - - Show Bio

Heavy

Stocky, muscular, more body fat, built like a pro wrestler or an oldtime strongman

Bulky

Exaggerated muscle mass, like by an extreme steroid abuse

Lean

Smaller waist, less muscle mass, thinner legs, more of a sporty physique

What is the right physique for the Hulk?

#2 Edited by Backflip (2266 posts) - - Show Bio

Bulky, followed by Lean.

#3 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

Somewhere between heavy and bulky. The Avengers leaned more towards the heavy side, and I quite liked that. The Hulk is supposed to be big, monstrous, to some degrees, grotesque. Having him look like a lean and mean body builder or Arnold Schwarzenagger painted green just doesn't sit right with me. When he looks like that, he's just a big green dude running around. When he's heavier, like in Avengers, he doesn't run, he CHARGES. Seeing something that big suddenly bolt from zero to sixty is a lot more alarming and conveys 'this thing will hit you like a freight train' a lot better: A lean, super ripped Hulk, like 2008, okay, he's athletic, he's muscular, this LOOKS like it's built to move like an olympic athlete, and on a similar scale. I can recognize this appearance, and how it conveys the ability to do this. I can understand this.

A heavier Hulk? HOLY CRAP THAT THING'S FAST HOW IS THAT FAST IT'S BUILT LIKE AN ELEPHANT OH MY GOD. A good Hulk should startle and surprise you. It should be monstrous, in that it's just a bit beyond what you can understand. The Heavy style does this better than the ripped body builder look.

#4 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Bulky - Heavy looks too ugly and Lean looks too superheroic and not enough monster.

#5 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13408 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Bulky

#7 Posted by Joygirl (20060 posts) - - Show Bio

What JonSmith said, verbatim.

#8 Edited by Zardu (346 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by dum529001 (1635 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

Somewhere between heavy and bulky. The Avengers leaned more towards the heavy side, and I quite liked that. The Hulk is supposed to be big, monstrous, to some degrees, grotesque. Having him look like a lean and mean body builder or Arnold Schwarzenagger painted green just doesn't sit right with me. When he looks like that, he's just a big green dude running around. When he's heavier, like in Avengers, he doesn't run, he CHARGES. Seeing something that big suddenly bolt from zero to sixty is a lot more alarming and conveys 'this thing will hit you like a freight train' a lot better: A lean, super ripped Hulk, like 2008, okay, he's athletic, he's muscular, this LOOKS like it's built to move like an olympic athlete, and on a similar scale. I can recognize this appearance, and how it conveys the ability to do this. I can understand this.

A heavier Hulk? HOLY CRAP THAT THING'S FAST HOW IS THAT FAST IT'S BUILT LIKE AN ELEPHANT OH MY GOD. A good Hulk should startle and surprise you. It should be monstrous, in that it's just a bit beyond what you can understand. The Heavy style does this better than the ripped body builder look.

This^^^

Full, solid, and massive like a car is the way Hulk should be!

#10 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Bulky, and i'm strictly against Slim. Seriously.

I don't mind slim hulk but it just doesn't sit right with me :/, Hulk by word definition is Something massive, and there's also the fear factor, when a huge bulky thing charges towards you want to run away, THAT is the hulk.

#11 Edited by Zardu (346 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

bulky. ed mcguines bulky. PERFECTION.

#13 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

@theacidskull: What do you think about this one?

it's ok, i like the art but still, hulk seems agile and spry, thats more of a THOR body for me.

#14 Posted by Zardu (346 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by Zardu (346 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu: avengers movie hulk. followed by hulk 2003 movie. and my least liked version incredible hulk hulk. that was just ugly.

#17 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

@theacidskull: And what about this one?

isn't that the same hulk Design?

it's from the same comic book by the same artist.

#18 Posted by Zardu (346 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: Right, the Norton Hulk looked like a scorched plastic figure.

#19 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu: it was decent but too stringy. and the face looked so cheap and undetailed. when i look at avengers hulk he looks like ruffalo. and it is awesome. all they need to do is make him a little less like an ape. and give him a movie already.

#20 Posted by Zardu (346 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I don´t know. To me it looks like a caricature. But here he seems to be more muscular.

#21 Posted by Zardu (346 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I found this Hulk sketch. I think this Hulk is bulky, but the human anatomy is still there. The more human the Hulk is, the more realistic he looks. (I know, he is not 100% human and he shouldn´t be, but the proportions - exaggerated or not - should still remain presentable.)

#22 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

Bulky but not flabby

#23 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind, as long as the art is good.

#24 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

@theacidskull: I found this Hulk sketch. I think this Hulk is bulky, but the human anatomy is still there. The more human the Hulk is, the more realistic he looks. (I know, he is not 100% human and he shouldn´t be, but the proportions - exaggerated or not - should still remain presentable.)

I love frank cho's art, i like this hulk, reminds me of avengers

#25 Posted by Farkam (4950 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him bulky.

#26 Edited by Perethorn (3429 posts) - - Show Bio

Bulky

#27 Edited by Night Thrasher (3698 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the artist...I think Tim Sale did a Heavy Hulk and it fit his style. Dale Keown did a Lean Hulk and that was just right for his style. McGuinnes did a Bulky Hulk and for him it was best. As with most thing comic art: the style of the artist determines what works best for the character.

S/N: It should be mandatory that Spider-Man always have under-arm webs and Wolverine go back to the brown costume.

#28 Posted by w0nd (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

Bulky. Not a fan of this lean hulk or what ever size you want to call it..

#29 Edited by Ministurt (80 posts) - - Show Bio

This for bulky becuse of that unstoppible behemoth factor.

Or this for lean to give into the whole savage beast.

#30 Posted by PowerHerc (85058 posts) - - Show Bio

Bulky and ripped.

#31 Posted by Deranged Midget (17715 posts) - - Show Bio

Paul Pelletier and Ed McGuinness draw the best Hulk.

#32 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Paul Pelletier and Ed McGuinness draw the best Hulk.

And Both are Bulky :P

#33 Edited by Deranged Midget (17715 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Deranged Midget (17715 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: AHA! Then we are both in agreement. As if that's a surprise to anyone ;)

#36 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Edited by z1co80 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Keown Hulk followed by Pelletier Hulk for me

#38 Posted by Oscars94 (2580 posts) - - Show Bio

Bulky.

#39 Edited by ImNemotheGemini (845 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't matter to me.. As long as Hulk looks powerful ! 2008 movie hulk looked like he could barely hit 50 tons ! 2003 and Avengers looked like they easily surpassed 100 tons at base ! In comics.. As long as he looks powerful.. I'm good !

#40 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Bulky, leans sucks unless it's someone like silvestri

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.