Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7768 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Ed Norton No Longer Hulk

• 97 results
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

Eric Bana, Ed Norton... Joaquin Phoenix?
    Eric Bana, Ed Norton... Joaquin Phoenix?

You probably heard over the weekend that Edward Norton won’t be returning to play the Hulk for the AVENGERS movie. Since then, there’s been a bit of public back-and-forth at Hitflix between Marvel and the actor’s reps disputing the exact reasons for his departure. First, there was the company’s statement, then there was Norton’s agent’s response. Now, Chud’s breaking the rumor that Joaquin Phoenix might be the name actor Marvel’s talking to about taking on the role. I don’t think we’ll be getting an official announcement about it until next week in San Diego.

I’m not going to make any conjectures about this situation - - I’ll leave that up to you all. What I will say is that this is a reminder that fans shouldn’t take for granted how ambitious an endeavor the AVENGERS movie is going to be. It’s bold to use four film series to set up one mega film over five years. What’s perhaps even bolder is trying to get the schedules of so many leading men to coincide for this crossover, because it’s a lot more difficult than you think. == TEASER ==

One movie I’m really looking forward to seeing next month is THE EXPENDABLES, which has the unstated premise of putting every action star under the same bill. With 10 big names, already, it’s already got quite an impressive cast, but fans are still asking why Jean-Claude Van Damme or Wesley Snipes aren’t in it. It’s coming out now that they were actually considered and approached, but they either didn’t like their parts or they weren’t available. Issues like this come up for ensemble pictures and it's a trick for any production to surmount them.

Anyway, what does the Comic Vine community think of these developments? Are you disappointed that Norton isn’t returning? Do you figure Phoenix fits the part?

UPDATED: Ed Norton's made a statement on his official Facebook page...

No Caption Provided
    -- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.
    Braxxis7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Braxxis7

i am its not that i think no one else could play banner but for the mere fact of continuity is broken now and that was something so good so far
    cold_fuzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By cold_fuzion

I would like to see Norton, but I doubt it will be a big deal either way.

NoMoreHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By NoMoreHeroes

i thought joaquin phoenix quit acting lol

MICROMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MICROMAN

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Thunderscream

they could always have eric bana reprise the role. he wasn't that awful.....just the cinematography and direction.....and nick nolte

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By TheMess1428

Is there a Hulk curse now? Every actor now only does one movie each as the Hulk. Should we call this the Lou Ferrigno curse? Did he curse the role so that nobody could become successful off of it besides him? lol

Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fire-brand

now everyone will watch the avengers and sit through every scene with bruce banner in it going "wow, edward norton could have done that better." breaking continuity is just a bad idea. RAAAGE!!

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Captain13

This is terrible news for two reasons.
    1. Ed Norton was/is the ideal Bruce Banner.
    2. This is the SECOND time we've had an actor replaced before the Avengers. It's really jarring.

TheArmandoShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By TheArmandoShow

Norton was ok. As long as they don't royally screw it up, I'm sure I won't even care.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By doordoor123

I think Nortons drop was because of what happend with The Incredible Hulk. If anything, hes more on par with the current cast than i think anyone else could be.
    Isnt Josh Holloway rumored to be in the picture?

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By shawn87

i dont think Joaquin Phoenix would be a good choice for the Hulk...Norton was a good choice in my opinion.  

Maybe now they should just leave the HUlk out of the movie...I cant believe im really saying that because I do wanna see the Hulk in it but not if its Phoenix playing him

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By johnny_spam

It's these actor disagreements that has made me skeptical of a Avengers movie in the first place there are to many egos and other factors that might prevent it from happening. 

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By sora_thekey

I really want to see Banner in the Avengers movies, and I really really want to see HULK! 
    but to be honest I don't want someone to replace Norton because that would mean that there would be a third person playing this same character in movies...
    I was somewhat bothered that Rhodey Was replaced  in Iron Man 2... Another replacement int the movies is just weird...

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hdorman1

fecks sake 
    norton was perfect for the roll 
    he was fantastic 
    and marvel are making rather large mistakes now 

Avatar image for imjustlikeparker
    ImJustLikeParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By ImJustLikeParker

But...he was so perfect. :(
    Skies327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Skies327

I think Norton was probably the only one who could have kept up with Downey Jr. talent wise on screen. Not sure Phoenix can really fill the shoes.

Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Icemizer

I have no problem with him leaving and another actor taking his place. In my comic mind the looks of the charcters change everytime a new artist signs on. So every new movie is a new artist. Just make the movie good and noone will care who plays Banner.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By leokearon

Norton is reported to be hard to work with, maybe there were problems. Of course the way I see it from Marve;'s offical statement, it that they believed Norton wasn't good enough.

Avatar image for i_madc_imageguy_
    I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By I'maDC/ImageGuy!

Man, I wish he was there to curbstomp the Avengers.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Well, his eccentricities aside, Phoenix certainly has some acting chops. I do feel slightly disappointed, mainly because Norton did very well in the role, but that doesn't mean another actor can't do equally well. Besides, if they had to change an actor, I'd just as soon it be the guy that's gonna spend half the movie being replaced by a giant, screaming CGI effect.

blaakmawf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By blaakmawf

Aww maaan.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool
    @Icemizer:
    I have one thing to say to that. HULKPOOL MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rowen545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By Rowen545

Wouldn't mind Bana coming back if Norton is gone. Phoenix  may be crazy but has proven to be a decent actor, so this wouldn't be the end of the world either.

darkcloakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By darkcloakx

icemizer has a point.  the look of every comicbook character changes everytime they have a new artist

erichr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By erichr

Didn't Joaquin Phoenix go all crazy and decide to become a rapper? And Edward Norton was perfect for the role. He's a better actor than Bana and Phoenix, and he just seems more Bruce Banner like. I won't be surprised in the least if at least 2 of the headliners for The Avengers end up dropping out.

ahumancartoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ahumancartoon

I'm really of two minds about all this. I've read both Marvel's and Norton's reps about the reason behind all this, but the truth is what really caused all this will probably never be known. I kinda have to go with all the fuss that started after TIH was finished that Norton supossably pitched a fit about the ending. Even though it was quickly dismissed by both parties the way I see it is that the rumor had to start somewhere. I just find it interesting that all this happened just after it was reported that he meet with Joss Whedon about the Avengers storyline. I mean what really happened during that meeting? I just hope who ever takes up the role bares this in mind, and that is that the Bruce Banner character takes a minor role compared to the Hulk, so they should check their ego at the door.

woopapa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By woopapa

sorry i don't care if norton plays banner or not! 
    i want to see the hulk smash things not banner crying about being the hulk. 
    anybody can play a nerdy white guy with daddy issues......i'm sure there are some guys reading this that fit that discription.
    Avatar image for gambitpryde1993
    gambitpryde1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gambitpryde1993

I actually liked Eric Bana in the 1st one. The stupid cut scenes and horrible villain were the problem. Is Hulk gonna be the villain in the Avenger movie?

conformist21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By conformist21

i will keep hope in my mind that this is a gimmick and that they will announce norton's return at comic con, so for now, i do not believe this news.
    let's hope i'm right.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dondasch
    @Thunderscream:  And Ang Lee.  Don't forget Ang Lee.  Or make him angry
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By the_fallen11

weak..

nick7913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By nick7913

Joaquin Phoenix is a pretty good actor so I'd like to see his take on the role. I think that we fans are used to this sort of thing and won't have any trouble following the movie. The ones who might have trouble are the rest of the audience, who might be wondering who Bruce Banner is at the beginning of the movie or even until he changes into the Hulk (unless that happens really early on).

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#33  Edited By HaloKing343

Ed Norton is amazing. If the Hulk character isn't in it then I see no issue but if he is, then Ed Norton should not be replaced
    ballsnbayonets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ballsnbayonets

i liked ed norton as hulk, but the movie was just ok.

Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Red Rum
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By bingbangboom

I liked the movie alot and thought Norton did a great job but he did have issues with Marvel. He dicked them around and messed with the director and the producers. He didn't go out to promote the movie because he was just being him. So it is very hard on their end to just wash that away especially when we are talking about promoting the movie that could have helped it make more money. I would love for them to just get this all hashed out and work together though. I think Kevin made a bad move with his statement basically slandering Norton, deserved or not.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37  Edited By damswedon

Wow marvel are really doing everything they can to make their movies less appealing to me.

blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By blade hunter

I did this topic yesterday and it got locked.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
    texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By texasdeathmatch
    @damswedon said:
    " Wow marvel are really doing everything they can to make their movies less appealing to me. "
    wasn't really their fault from what I hear, I think Norton is asking for a shit ton more money, and he was difficult to work with on the set. But thaaaat's Hollywod

but someone had mentioned that they were replacing another actor, who else are they replacing?
    Schabbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Schabbe
    @nick7913 said:
    "  Joaquin Phoenix is a pretty good actor so I'd like to see his take on the role. I think that we fans are used to this sort of thing and won't have any trouble following the movie. The ones who might have trouble are the rest of the audience, who might be wondering who Bruce Banner is at the beginning of the movie or even until he changes into the Hulk (unless that happens really early on). "
    dude, i really couldn't have said it better myself.. totally agree with you !
    Avatar image for ironspidy_rooney
    IronSpidy-Rooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41  Edited By IronSpidy-Rooney

In starting to lose my faith in the Avengers film if this is the direction with the casting Marvel are taking. 
    If they are looking for an actor that has and I quote "  an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members."  that means they are going against one of the factors that has made the Avengers such a good team, this being team dynamics, If you want a team filled with different heroes with different quality's your not going to get that if all of your actors share the same qualitys. and as for Joaquin phoenix  playing banner

We want a fighter not a country western singer

Xion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Xion

what i heard, it was that when  Jean-Claude Van Damme    was approach for The Expendables, he was already sign for another project and he couldnt make time to be part of it, so he said no 

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#43  Edited By ImperiousRix

That's terrible news.  Hulk is probably my least favorite out of the Avengers announced, but I think that Norton did a good job with the character and can't imagine anyone else doing it at this point.
    I'd hate to say it, but I'm already disinterested in the Avengers movie following this announcement.

Avatar image for captaingenisvell
    CaptainGenisVell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CaptainGenisVell

Phoenix can't pull off a role where the main characer is intellectual and scrawny; Norton pulled it off, he can't. Simple as.

Also, I find that Kevin Feige's statement was an insult directed straight for Norton. How can he think some about the actor, when he obviously gets along with casts; he would easily get along with the ensembled cast for Avengers. This just looks bad on Feige's part.

mister garbage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mister garbage

What a spit in the face to the fans... and not to mention continuity. Bad enough i f'n HATE Joss Whedon, now no Norton as Banner? Eugh. Way to go Feige.

ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ironshadow

No Caption Provided
    SupremoMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By SupremoMaximo

I heard they also considered digging up Charles Bronson's corpse for the Expendables to make it even more BA.

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GrimoireMyst

The one thing I'm wondering about is if they change the actor does it change what the Hulk looks like because the Incredible Hulk version is very cool. lol

batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#49  Edited By batmanboy11

At least this confirms that Hulk will be in Avengers. And we probably won't see much of Bruce Banner anyway, so the change of actors shouldn't be a huge deal.
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By Decept-O

This just sucks gamma nads all the way around.  Disappointing not only by the news but by the press releases and the comments being made. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.