Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Doomsday, a Hulk Ripoff?

negamegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Edited By negamegas

Sorry about some of this post being a image but my computer desides to stop my post and not work so just read from the image AND THEN the rest of the post will be done. If you're having a hard time reading it, here's the link to imageshack: http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/673/postl.png    

and I should know he goes apeshit at times because when I first met him and we were enemies he proved that. I swear the guy has a hate fetish for Superman and you'd think I would be joking but I'm not. He happens to love all the Superman wannabes but just hates the man of steel. But that's another topic for another day. 

Now if DD was a ripoff he would have the same exact powers, appearance, and origin of Hulk right?  
    Well, here's the Problem.... Doomsday powers consist of Super Strength which Hulk has (but really WHO doesn't have that power nowadays?) and regenative ability(But again, how many of these characters in comics have that ability? MANY!) But here's the problem..... Doomsday DIDN'T Start out that way because Doomsday's power work on Evolution, NOT Gamma Radiation. He'll gain a new ability or durability when he gets killed or when he's currently fighting in a battle, hulk doesn't do that. Hulk doesn't have Spikes that he can use, while Doomsday does and he can fire them off as a spear which I always thought was pretty cool. Another ability DD has that Hulk doesn't is the ability to fire a flame or something and when ever there's someone using a super sonic attack(Like Superman did in Hunter/Prey) all DD does is evolve so his ears can be blocked. And his duration is WAAAAAAAAAAY more powerful then Hulk's is and will probably will be. Has Hulk managed to be immune from an attack of a being far more powerful then Galactus? No. Has Doomsday done the same exact with only with Imperiex? Yes. If anything, Doomsday is more of a homage to Solomon Grundy then hulk and infact if I wanted to I could call Hulk a ripoff of Grundy. :P When Grundy dies, he gains a new power, when DD dies he gains a new power or ability and their appearance with each other actually kind of matches too.

So, we got Super powers out of the way so what about origins or stuff like that? I actually use that arguement on him and this is what he said: 

So with that kind of logic that would mean EVERY Superhero is a ripoff of Superman, but am I going to go there? No, because it's wrong and stupid to say that kind og thing. Sorry killer but it is.  

Hulk's origin is that he was born from gamma radiation when Bruce Banner went to save Rick Jones from the explosion and he gets his causing him to become the hulk. Hulk's powers are about Gamma Radiation and such. 

Doomsday's Origin is that he was created for one purpose, to be the ultimate form of evolution and to do that he must die. And his story begins on Prehistoric Krypton(Sounds like a ripoff yet?), where a group of scientist are planning on creating the ultimate life form(sounds like a hulk ripoff?) and they do this by experimenting with a baby with Krypton's environment(which btw was INCREDIBLY horrible, you'd die because of all the posion in the air, the extreme heat and etc.). Well, first time they put him in there, he dies. Second time he lives longer but the heat gets to him and he dies. After surviving that he can live in the environment.... until some prehistoric kryptonian creatures come around a rip him to pieces and he dies.... again. And this kind of thing happens over and over and over until he can finally survive that and managed to kill the beasts that were doing this to him. So.... that sounds like a hulk ripoff, write? WRONG! So what happens next is after surviving a year on krypton's surface(It could be less if I'm mistaken) he goes back to his place of origin, breaks in there, kills everyone including his father(as the guy calls himself) and then finds a ship and gets off the rock and starts killing other people/planets. He would later gain the name the Armageddon or Doomsday himself and boy does he managed to live up to that name. He doesn't die until much later when he lands on this one planet who's name escapes me and faces a being call the radient design with radiation or cosmic blasts of sorts to aid him in his battle with the monster fo the apocolypse and after a month or week of fighting Radient finally manages to kill him and sends him off to space, which we all know what happens next. 
    So..... still think he's a hulk ripoff? Didn't think so. 

What about personality megas? Does DD ripoff of that? No, for you see Hulk's personality most of the time is that of an angry child with impressive strength who is having a fit, while Doomsday on the other hand only personality is to kill. Infact we learn that when he squishes a bird, strangles a deer, and destroys random trees(THE FIEND! THOSE POOR TREES!!!) and it doesn't matter where he lands if it has life, he'll kill it. Much different then the hulk. 

So, I feel that pretty much covers up that then. I discussed powers, personalities, and origins but aren't forgetting something? Oh right appearance.... 
     Yeah... just because Doomsday is muscle bound DOESN'T make him a ripoff and if you're going by that logic.... a ton of heroes/villians are ripoffs even Hellboy, but.... in that case I can just say Hulk is a ripoff of Grundy. :P And with hulk's first apperance.... he kind of was. KIND OF. And like I said Doomsday is more like Grundy then hulk. 

Okay, now that does it for sure. I hope you guys found this to be informative and I hoped you like it. This is my first blog post too. :D 
    Well, Goodbye and Goodnight folks. 
    -Negamegas
    Kenjav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kenjav

I stopped reading at "every hero is a rip-off of superman"... sorry, it's kinda long.

but that reminded me indeed how many dc characters are a rip-off of superman: wonder woman, supergirl, superboy, captain marvel, black adam (plagiarismo di plagiarismo), martian manhunter, captain atom?. and I really don't know dc very much, but I would say like half of them (dc chars) seem to have: near invulnerability, super strength, flight. 

so, yeah... but I no, I never saw doomsday as a rip-off of the hulk. I still don't. doomsday has like no personality at all, and the hulk is kinda a complex character.

G'bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By G'bandit

Look ALL characters that have a mega large body (don't matter who they are) they will remind people of the classic powerhouse Hulk. There are people ,common people, who have no idea who Doomsday is to this day. Even if he killed such a big character.

Hell I got friends that didn't even know that there were 5 Robins, Batman was dead, Batman has a son, Batman was trained by assassin, Dick is the new Bats, etc. So If they see a huge guy like Doomsday the first think that will come to mind is that is a Hulk rip off because he is based on strength regardless of its origins been different.

Now, I personally don't think is a rip off, is too different in every way. The only similarity is that they are both extremely powerful

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DEGRAAF

i dont see him as as a hulk rip off at all. I love them both. Hulk is awesome but i think doomsday is truely unstoppable, even if he gets killed he comes back harder and stronger. there isnt much left that could stop doomsday.
    kore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By kore

Hulk is a ripoff of Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. Basically with all the characters out there it's easy to find similarities.

negamegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By negamegas
    @Kenjav:
    Heh, sorry sometimes when I feel like I need to say something, it'll be long.
    Kenjav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kenjav
    @negamegas: yeah, you kinda got really worked up over the issue...  that Radiant guy, though, total rip-off of the Silver Surfer...
    negamegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By negamegas
    @Kenjav:
    heh, well kind of I would say. His apperance sure, but that's really it. XD 

Heh, and well I really wouldn't say worked up. I just have a tendacy to type alot and go into details at times.
    Myth2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Myth2009
    @negamegas: 

yes doomsday is a Hulk ripoff
    negamegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By negamegas
    @Myth2009:
    how? lol
    tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tensor

no were near a rip, how? he sure does not get stronger when he gets angry, an he is not split in 2 like banner

negamegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By negamegas
    @tensor:
    lol, wut?
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEGRAAF

it true. Doomsday doesnt have split personalities, He can revert back to human form when hes calm, hes not a genius on any level. He doesnt get stronger the angrier he gets. 

He does come back to life when he dies (which in turn makes him impervious to whatever killed him) He is total rage with almost no thought process, he doesn need to breath sleep or eat. (probably doesnt need to go to the bathroom ever either) Has boney spiks on different parts of his body for protection and for the use as weapons. He never tires. 

Thats all for now. I think Doomsday would win in a fight against the hulk. (I would love to see doomsday in the Marvel universe for a year)
    Avatar image for strongestonethereis
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't call him a rip off 
    But easily inspired by the Hulk

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @StrongestOneThereIs said:
    "I wouldn't call him a rip off  But easily inspired by the Hulk "

now see im not even sur if i would say that considering his back story, They might have the over all same bobdy shape if you take of doomsdays bone spikes but other than that they are almost totally different. Yea they are both angery but one was born to survive and the only way he knows how to do that is thru killing anything that might be a threat to him (seemingly everything). Hulk only comes out in time of need and anger, Ones for survival the other is for revenge for the most part
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DEGRAAF said:
    " @StrongestOneThereIs said:
    now see im not even sur if i would say that considering his back story, They might have the over all same bobdy shape if you take of doomsdays bone spikes but other than that they are almost totally different. Yea they are both angery but one was born to survive and the only way he knows how to do that is thru killing anything that might be a threat to him (seemingly everything). Hulk only comes out in time of need and anger, Ones for survival the other is for revenge for the most part "
    They can't fly
    They are strong, durable and heal quickly
    They are both engines of destruction (main similarity)
    Viewed as monster
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DEGRAAF
    " @DEGRAAF said:
    now see im not even sur if i would say that considering his back story, They might have the over all same bobdy shape if you take of doomsdays bone spikes but other than that they are almost totally different. Yea they are both angery but one was born to survive and the only way he knows how to do that is thru killing anything that might be a threat to him (seemingly everything). Hulk only comes out in time of need and anger, Ones for survival the other is for revenge for the most part "
    They can't fly
    They are both engines of destruction  
    Viewed as monster"

the first two could be stated about the majority of the super heroes in both the Marvel and the DC Universes 
    Engines of destruction; Ill give you that one (Hulk/Bruce) tries not to kill people tho, they actually stat in WWH or somewhere around that time that Hulk had never killed. Doomsday tries to kill everything and everyone 
    I will give you that they are both viewed by monsters (while Hulk is also viewed as a hero by many doomsday is viewed as a villain and weapon by all
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DEGRAAF said:

" @DEGRAAF said:
    They can't fly

Viewed as monster"
    the first two could be stated about the majority of the super heroes in both the Marvel and the DC Universes Engines of destruction; Ill give you that one (Hulk/Bruce) tries not to kill people tho, they actually stat in WWH or somewhere around that time that Hulk had never killed. Doomsday tries to kill everything and everyone I will give you that they are both viewed by monsters (while Hulk is also viewed as a hero by many doomsday is viewed as a villain and weapon by all "
    Hmm, How about a darker version of the Hulk
    Or if Hulk was a villain
    Either way,DD was created using the Hulk as a template
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DEGRAAF
    "@DEGRAAF said:

" @DEGRAAF said:
    They can't fly

Viewed as monster"
    the first two could be stated about the majority of the super heroes in both the Marvel and the DC Universes Engines of destruction; Ill give you that one (Hulk/Bruce) tries not to kill people tho, they actually stat in WWH or somewhere around that time that Hulk had never killed. Doomsday tries to kill everything and everyone I will give you that they are both viewed by monsters (while Hulk is also viewed as a hero by many doomsday is viewed as a villain and weapon by all "
    Hmm, How about a darker version of the Hulk Or if Hulk was a villain Either way,DD was created using the Hulk as a template "

the two darkest versions of the hulk are WWH and Savage hulk.  
    If hulk killed everything and tried to hunt beings down just to kill them maybe... 
    I still dont think that he was. I think if they wanted someone to be based after the hulk they could have gotten alot closer to having the same powers abilities and something similar to the person mutating in to the monster like uhlk if they wanted too

negamegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By negamegas
    "@DEGRAAF said:

" @DEGRAAF said:
    They can't fly

Viewed as monster"
    Hmm, How about a darker version of the Hulk Or if Hulk was a villain Either way,DD was created using the Hulk as a template "

And Hulk was using the Solomon Grundy Template. XD
    AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#20  Edited By AssertingValor

This is stupid, Doomsday kicks hulks ass no matter what incarnation the hulk is in!  they say the madder he gets the stronger he gets, that is where you are wrong, everyone knows you can only be so mad!  Doomsday is no ordinary kryptonion like superman! doomsday is super powered even without a yellow sun or radiation! everyone forgets that in the end, hulk is still just a weak pathetic scientist nerd boy banner, while doomsday is doomsday all the time!
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @ebuchanan:
    they've kind of changed the hulk tho. Yea it is still the madder he is the stronger he is but now he doesnt have to be just be mad. He just has to get his blood pressure up or if banner decides that he need to change in to the hulk he can just by thought. Its stated in Son of Hulk Hiro-Kala says that it actually doesnt have a whole lot to do with Banners anger its just a source with in his mind. 

Also WWH was an agreement between hulk and Banner. They both loved their life on Sakaar so when Ceiara died the were both pissed off and wanting revenge creating the most powerful Hulk to ever be shown. Banner might be weak but he is a genius (probably in the top 4 in marvel). Even with our being able to become hulk any more he has still figured out how to fight offensively as well as defensively with the big gamma powered boys.

also Doomsday doesnt get any of his powers as well as none of his powers he already has get enhanced from yellow or any other color sun for that matter.

Im not trying to argue against you bc i agree doomsday would win eventually if not immediately. Im just throwing my knowledge out there
    Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I'd say that it's possible, but maybe instead of being JUST a Hulk rip-off someone thought " Everyone wants to see Hulk vs Superman, but we can't do that, so how about we make a character who resembles the Hulk, but is ALSO Kryptonian? It would be like a Super-Hulk! And it's an original idea, they can't sue us!" So, like I said it might be like a mix breed of Hulk and Supes.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By NightFang3

Now that was just dumb.

SladeRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By SladeRogers

The truth of the fact is Doomsday isn't a Hulk ripoff, he's a living breathing science project that can never do what he was created to do......KILL THE RED & BLUE DOLT THAT IS SUPERMAN!!!
    Nerveshatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nerveshatter

Doomsday is lame look at him now he jobs to superman in almost every encounter they have now.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PowerHerc

Hey, is the Hulk a Frankenstein/Dr. Jekyl & Mr.Hyde/ Solomon Grundy rip-off?   
    Seems to be. 

Are many super-heroes or, for that matter, many fictional characters in any and all genres rip-off's of previous characters? 
    Yes. 

So, is Doomsday a Hulk rip-off? 
    Kinda.  He's got this harder- to-beat-with -each-new-encounter ablitiy (which doesn't seem to work against Superman anymore) that is remniscent of, but different than, the Hulk's strength+anger x-factor.  This ability seems to be more in line with the unstoppability and durability of the Juggernaut.  Looks-wise, he bears some similarity to the mindless, raging Hulk while having a slight Juggernaut influence on his costume.  He kinda reminds me of Pitt (a true Hulk rip-off) as well.  I guess he's more of an amalgamated rip-off of these characters and maybe some more. 

I read in an earlier post that everyone is a Superman rip-off and I thought that was ironic since Superman's creators seem to have been influenced by Moses from the Bible, Hercules from Greco- Roman Myth, Doc Savage from Pulp Magazines and 1920's/30's sci-fi (i.e.; aliens, space travel and rocket ships ala Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon).  Hmm . . . almost any character could be construed as having been inspired/ripping-off previous characters.  Maybe we'd be better off thinking of these characters as part of one huge family tree where traits are passed on from one or more characters to other characters.  

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By nightwing91

So what even if he was a rip off, remember the cyborg superman remember his origin in adventures of superman 465. It was the same as the Fantastic Four's, so what if Superman borrows elements of other companies, we all know Marvel does it as well, how many rip offs of superman has marvel done after all?

BattleMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BattleMage

Pure Hulk rip off. DC Comics kind of admitted that on the cartoon Superman Doomsday! The making of Doomsday's character, check it out if you want know the truth.

gethere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gethere
    @BattleMage: @BattleMage said:
    " Pure Hulk rip off. DC Comics kind of admitted that on the cartoon Superman Doomsday! The making of Doomsday's character, check it out if you want know the truth. "
    Well they didn't say the based him off the hulk just said kill superman with a hulking beast. Though he could have been inspired , I highly doubt that Doomday is a hulk ripoff. It the same with with hulk being call a Solomon Grundy Ripoff they may have been base off  from the same source.
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By MrDirector786
    @BattleMage said:
    " Pure Hulk rip off. DC Comics kind of admitted that on the cartoon Superman Doomsday! The making of Doomsday's character, check it out if you want know the truth. "
    So, how exactly is he a rip-off? Other than his huge appearance, he has a different personality, his abilities aren't even the exact same, and he has a different origin. If just looking like someone and having similar makes them a rip-off, then Hulk would be a rip-off of Solomon Grundy and any superhero with super strength, superspeed, and invulnerability would be a rip-off of Superman.
    BattleMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BattleMage
    @gethere said:
    " @BattleMage: @BattleMage said:
    Well they didn't say the based him off the hulk just said kill superman with a hulking beast. Though he could have been inspired , I highly doubt that Doomday is a hulk ripoff. It the same with with hulk being call a Solomon Grundy Ripoff they may have been base off  from the same source. "
    possible, but i don't work for dc soo...
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DEGRAAF

what i dont get about Doomsday is that even though he is Kryptonian he doesnt get any powers from the yellow sun. Also if he did he would be more powerful than any Kryptonian under the same sun bc his body, muscles, and tissue is all more dense than any other Kryptonian
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ssejllenrad

Doomsday was a "pre-historic" Kryptonian and not the same as the human-looking generally-caucasian race that is more familiar to us now. So they're of different composition so to speak.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PowerHerc

Doomsday has some similarities to the Hulk, but he's not a straight-up rip-off of the character.
    KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Darker version of the Hulk who can adapt and become immune to anything

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
    medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingofkings1: well said bro! that is why doomsday doesn't appear in comics that much.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

He is part Hulk rip off. I always saw doomsday as a cross between Hulk and the terminator, i.e the machine that just keeps on coming. Certainly you've got to say there are similarities. DD is a beast of brute strength who doesn't tire, is almost indestructible and seems to get more powerful the longer a battle goes on. Well that's a number of Hulk qualities covered. Also, he cant fly and could be termed as a "brick".

I love the Death of Superman and other Doomsday books and have each of them in my TP collection.

I also think the first superman v DD fight climax was an influence on the Sentry v Superman fight in WWH, i.e. two powerhouses slugging to a stalemate amidst mass destruction of falling buildings and so on!

ShaoKahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atleast Doomsday is interesting

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
    AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shaokahn said:

Atleast Doomsday is interesting

That's why he is the more popular character.. oh wait.

Banner666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@negamegas: not true grundy was nothing like Hulk before Hulk was created he was just a ZOMBIE, it become clear that the modern grundy is influenced by the Hulk technically the modern grundy is a rip off of Hulk, Hulk was inspired by the FRANKENSTIEN moster not grundy, unless you think grundy was inspired by frankenstien monster too I'm open to debate that but he's not a rip off of grundy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.