Could the Hulk be faking?

#1 Posted by Ricky_Gervais (144 posts) - - Show Bio

Has it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps Bruce Banner does have complete control over himself when he is the Hulk, but chooses to pretend that he doesn't in order to be able to enjoy smashing things without having to endure responsibility when he is back to Bruce, and the idea of his mind changing is just an act, or are there comics which would disprove this?

#2 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

If he did then Hulk and Banner would not have been split. If this was the case then it would completely ruin Hulk for me, I like Hulk because of his personality and if that was taken away then I would probably stop liking him and start hating him

#3 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

this is so stupid its not even funny.

#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24434 posts) - - Show Bio

There are countless comics that disprove this theory completely, Doc Samson (before going all villain) proved that Hulk was actually a sufferer of a severe case of multiple personality disorder (not the technical name I know but my spell check refuses to accept that for some reason)

#5 Posted by X35 (5980 posts) - - Show Bio

They actually did this exact retcon but with the Lizard. It was thankfully instantly forgotten and ignored.

#6 Posted by TDK_1997 (14397 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#7 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Bruce is faking, he does suffer from MPD after all...

#8 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

This same idea was suggested by DC for an arc with The Joker.

The only thing I'd say now is Bruce Banner likes to whine a lot about the crap that happened 20-30 years ago. Freaking Red Hulk is getting over his issues faster than Big Green is.

#9 Posted by PurpleCandy (773 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be pretty f'en hilarious

#10 Posted by Fifthchild (585 posts) - - Show Bio

On a deeper level you could argue that Banner is "faking" in the sense that the Hulks are personas that allow him to indulge his destructive impulses while simultaneously disavowing responsibility for them. IIRC Ross made something close to this accusation around the time of Betty's death. OTOH under Pak it was hinted that Hulk might be something that Banner created to protect the world from what something that might be even more dangerous to mankind - a Bruce Banner who was free to devote himself to science and the creation of more weapons and bombs.

#11 Posted by Walker696 (984 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd buy Hulk being Bruce's real personality and Bruce being one that was made up to be the one that voices his issues where as the hulk just simply ignores them and wants to be left along as the original personality

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24434 posts) - - Show Bio

I will say if you look past the property damage caused by the Hulk some of the most awful things the character has done were while he was Banner.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.