Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7768 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Could the Hulk be faking?

Ricky_Gervais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ricky_Gervais

Has it ever occurred to anyone that perhaps Bruce Banner does have complete control over himself when he is the Hulk, but chooses to pretend that he doesn't in order to be able to enjoy smashing things without having to endure responsibility when he is back to Bruce, and the idea of his mind changing is just an act, or are there comics which would disprove this?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

If he did then Hulk and Banner would not have been split. If this was the case then it would completely ruin Hulk for me, I like Hulk because of his personality and if that was taken away then I would probably stop liking him and start hating him

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By KainScion

this is so stupid its not even funny.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By joshmightbe

There are countless comics that disprove this theory completely, Doc Samson (before going all villain) proved that Hulk was actually a sufferer of a severe case of multiple personality disorder (not the technical name I know but my spell check refuses to accept that for some reason)

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By X35

They actually did this exact retcon but with the Lizard. It was thankfully instantly forgotten and ignored.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#6  Edited By TDK_1997

No.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Martian

I don't think Bruce is faking, he does suffer from MPD after all...

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
    Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

This same idea was suggested by DC for an arc with The Joker.

The only thing I'd say now is Bruce Banner likes to whine a lot about the crap that happened 20-30 years ago. Freaking Red Hulk is getting over his issues faster than Big Green is.

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By PurpleCandy

That would be pretty f'en hilarious

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fifthchild

On a deeper level you could argue that Banner is "faking" in the sense that the Hulks are personas that allow him to indulge his destructive impulses while simultaneously disavowing responsibility for them. IIRC Ross made something close to this accusation around the time of Betty's death. OTOH under Pak it was hinted that Hulk might be something that Banner created to protect the world from what something that might be even more dangerous to mankind - a Bruce Banner who was free to devote himself to science and the creation of more weapons and bombs.

Walker696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Walker696

I'd buy Hulk being Bruce's real personality and Bruce being one that was made up to be the one that voices his issues where as the hulk just simply ignores them and wants to be left along as the original personality

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joshmightbe

I will say if you look past the property damage caused by the Hulk some of the most awful things the character has done were while he was Banner.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.