Bruce Banner: Is it time for changes?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Zardu (332 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce Banner is always potrayed as a slim, weak and shy nerd with horn-rimmed glasses (Clark Kent personality). This personality matches the Banner/Hulk conflict. But there is something that bothers me: the stereotype. You know what I mean: a skinny nerd with horn-rimmed glasses in a white coat, always shy, nervous, insecure and on the other hand, the misunderstood genius. In the 50s and 60s this was a common image of a scientist. But in the 21st century? I imagine the following:

  • Banner´s mental constitution remains: Shyness, but not overdone, introversion and, of course, his childhoodtrauma.
  • His physique should be normal, neither slim nor fat (let's say: similar to Mark Ruffalo, in terms of his physique); give him chest hair.
  • Normal glasses or no glasses at all.
  • No universal genius. It would be much more realistic if his knowledge would be limited to certain things. The smartest person in the world is a fairy tale.
  • If I may mention it: Betty should be red-haired with a few freckles and slightly stocky, (I mean, curves, but no model dimensions, a woman who can tackle, wide hips e.g.). That would be something else.

What about you? Do you like Banner the way he is or do you think he should change a bit?

#2 Edited by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (7741 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

Bruce Banner is always potrayed as a slim, weak and shy nerd with horn-rimmed glasses (Clark Kent personality). This personality matches the Banner/Hulk conflict. But there is something that bothers me: the stereotype. You know what I mean: a skinny nerd with horn-rimmed glasses in a white coat, always shy, nervous, insecure and on the other hand, the misunderstood genius. In the 50s and 60s this was a common image of a scientist. But in the 21st century? I imagine the following:

  • Banner´s mental constitution remains: Shyness, but not overdone, introversion and, of course, his childhoodtrauma.
  • His physique should be normal, neither slim nor fat (let's say: similar to Mark Ruffalo); give him chest hair.
  • Normal glasses or no glasses at all.
  • No universal genius. It would be much more realistic if his knowledge would be limited to certain things. The smartest person in the world is a fairy tale.
  • If I may mention it: Betty should be red-haired with a few freckles and slightly stocky, (I mean, curves, but no model dimensions, a woman who can tackle, wide hips e.g.). That would be something else.

What about you? Do you like Banner the way he is or do you think he should change a bit?

Bruce hasn't been the nerd stereotype for years now dude, I think someone need to catch up because most of the things you want has sorta already happen .

Online
#3 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15870 posts) - - Show Bio

^

Bill Mantlos banner was already More than just a Nerd, Peter David Took it even Further then that.

Pak Then later Nailed it and made banner AWESOME, and now we have mark waid.

Like @thatguywithheadphones: said, hulk hasn't been a nerd for years.

#4 Posted by w0nd (1999 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a total stud, he's basically the way you want him to be now lol....

#5 Edited by Zardu (332 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Look at the pictures. Peter David's Banner is still a super-nerd, Pak's Banner is a an ordinary nerd and Mark Waid made him a kind of a Punisher (long cloak ... only missing thing is the weapon), that´s far beyond the target and can not meet Banner's personality.

It's not just his behavior, it is also about his appearance. And as for these pictures, I have to say that nothing has changed.

Peter David: Super-Nerd

Pak: Ordinary Nerd
Mark Waid: The Punisher

#6 Posted by muhabba (283 posts) - - Show Bio

I've lost track of Hulk after Planet Hulk but speaking of Banner before that, Peter David did a really good job of making Banner more than nerdy sterotype. Dale Keown started drawing him more muscular & Peter David really set him up as a scientist in par with Reed Richards. I'd say there've been as many versions of Banner as there have been of Hulk.

#7 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously? Another thread like this?

Its starting to get boring.

#8 Posted by Zardu (332 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb: If I had known that there are already similar threats, I would not have done it, of course.

#9 Edited by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu: I'm talking about the threads you've made about making changes to Hulk (and now Banner as well.)

#10 Edited by Zardu (332 posts) - - Show Bio

@guttridgeb: If everyone would think so, there would be no more threads. In addition, no one is forced to come into boring threads.

#11 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15870 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu: not true, not even a little

Paks banner was confident, smart and badass. he beat leader with his own hands, and fought doom head on. he was slim, but fit also.

Peter Davids banner was a struggling hero, but it didn't stop him FROM confronting the hulk head on in his mind. same goes for his physical status . Namor even comments on how banner looks much better body wise

And Mark Waids hulk has nothing to do with punisher, he wants to put his mind to better use, and he is much more confident.

your classification for NErd is basically equal to a " very smart Person" , and if you take that away, then there WILL be no more banner. i've read all of the stories from which the pictures you posted came from, and banner is nothing like which you describe.

#12 Edited by Zardu (332 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu: not true, not even a little

Paks banner was confident, smart and badass. he beat leader with his own hands, and fought doom head on. he was slim, but fit also.

Peter Davids banner was a struggling hero, but it didn't stop him FROM confronting the hulk head on in his mind. same goes for his physical status . Namor even comments on how banner looks much better body wise

And Mark Waids hulk has nothing to do with punisher, he wants to put his mind to better use, and he is much more confident.

your classification for NErd is basically equal to a " very smart Person" , and if you take that away, then there WILL be no more banner. i've read all of the stories from which the pictures you posted came from, and banner is nothing like which you describe.

Not at all. Smart does not automatically mean nerdy appearance or behavior. There are two sides: Either Banner looks like a nerd or he behaves like one. And in these comics (except the Waid comics) he looks like a nerd (regardless of how he behaves). He looks like a philistine father. Sorry, that´s the way I see him.

#13 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15870 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

@theacidskull said:

@zardu: not true, not even a little

Paks banner was confident, smart and badass. he beat leader with his own hands, and fought doom head on. he was slim, but fit also.

Peter Davids banner was a struggling hero, but it didn't stop him FROM confronting the hulk head on in his mind. same goes for his physical status . Namor even comments on how banner looks much better body wise

And Mark Waids hulk has nothing to do with punisher, he wants to put his mind to better use, and he is much more confident.

your classification for NErd is basically equal to a " very smart Person" , and if you take that away, then there WILL be no more banner. i've read all of the stories from which the pictures you posted came from, and banner is nothing like which you describe.

Not at all. Smart does not automatically mean nerdy appearance or behavior. There are two sides: Either Banner looks like a nerd or he behaves like one. And in these comics (except the Waid comics) he looks like a nerd (regardless of how he behaves). He looks like a philistine father. Sorry, that´s the way I see him.

Well Banner at a core is A slim, nerd looking type of guy. i don't want him to be buff, but i like the fact that he is he slim/buff type

#14 Posted by Zardu (332 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

@theacidskull said:

@zardu: not true, not even a little

Paks banner was confident, smart and badass. he beat leader with his own hands, and fought doom head on. he was slim, but fit also.

Peter Davids banner was a struggling hero, but it didn't stop him FROM confronting the hulk head on in his mind. same goes for his physical status . Namor even comments on how banner looks much better body wise

And Mark Waids hulk has nothing to do with punisher, he wants to put his mind to better use, and he is much more confident.

your classification for NErd is basically equal to a " very smart Person" , and if you take that away, then there WILL be no more banner. i've read all of the stories from which the pictures you posted came from, and banner is nothing like which you describe.

Not at all. Smart does not automatically mean nerdy appearance or behavior. There are two sides: Either Banner looks like a nerd or he behaves like one. And in these comics (except the Waid comics) he looks like a nerd (regardless of how he behaves). He looks like a philistine father. Sorry, that´s the way I see him.

Well Banner at a core is A slim, nerd looking type of guy. i don't want him to be buff, but i like the fact that he is he slim/buff type

Not necessarily buff, but more than slim. Do you think Ruffalo is buff?

#15 Edited by TheAcidSkull (15870 posts) - - Show Bio

@zardu said:

@theacidskull said:

@zardu said:

@theacidskull said:

@zardu: not true, not even a little

Paks banner was confident, smart and badass. he beat leader with his own hands, and fought doom head on. he was slim, but fit also.

Peter Davids banner was a struggling hero, but it didn't stop him FROM confronting the hulk head on in his mind. same goes for his physical status . Namor even comments on how banner looks much better body wise

And Mark Waids hulk has nothing to do with punisher, he wants to put his mind to better use, and he is much more confident.

your classification for NErd is basically equal to a " very smart Person" , and if you take that away, then there WILL be no more banner. i've read all of the stories from which the pictures you posted came from, and banner is nothing like which you describe.

Not at all. Smart does not automatically mean nerdy appearance or behavior. There are two sides: Either Banner looks like a nerd or he behaves like one. And in these comics (except the Waid comics) he looks like a nerd (regardless of how he behaves). He looks like a philistine father. Sorry, that´s the way I see him.

Well Banner at a core is A slim, nerd looking type of guy. i don't want him to be buff, but i like the fact that he is he slim/buff type

Not necessarily buff, but more than slim. Do you think Ruffalo is buff?

He's not Buff, but he doesn't have the BANNER build either, but since he did an awesome job with the acting it doesn't bother me that much.

#16 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

Banner is definitely not the wimpy shy banner he used to be.

#17 Posted by dum529001 (1571 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce Banner is always changing, just like Hulk.

#18 Posted by w0nd (1999 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does banner currently look like indestrucible? Any time I have sene him lately he looks like a stud, and that seems to be the most current one so I am going by that. I could be wrong he could be drawn wimpy still, but I just haven't seen it. I personally don't care what he looks like though as long as there is character development and there is.

#19 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15870 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd said:

Why does banner currently look like indestrucible? Any time I have sene him lately he looks like a stud, and that seems to be the most current one so I am going by that. I could be wrong he could be drawn wimpy still, but I just haven't seen it. I personally don't care what he looks like though as long as there is character development and there is.

He's still Very slim. If you pat attention to the neck.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.