'The Strange Adventures of H.P. Lovecraft' Movie News!

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems that Hollywood simply can not get enough of comic books! If you are a big fan of the H.P. Lovecraft then you'll be pleased to know that popular movie director Ron Howard will be behind the film adaptation of Image Comics' 'The Strange Adventures of H.P. Lovecraft.' Lucky for us, the L.A. Times caught up with the renowned director to discuss the project!

"Look, it's challenging, but if we get it right, it could be really original and psychologically interesting and scary in a great way. And it's a graphic novel, this is new territory for me." Regarding the story elements of Lovecraft, Howard went on to say:
"It very cleverly uses H.P. Lovecraft in a fictional way, but there's some loose biographical elements. But it certainly has the flavor and the tone of Lovecraft.  The character is a very young Lovecraft."
"I've got literally half-a-dozen projects where essentially I'm waiting for [script] drafts to come in, and there's something I love about all of these ideas. We'll just have to wait to see what comes to fruition. You just never know."

I think that a live-action film adaptation of the graphic novel, if done correctly, could amount to being a huge success. I personally think this is fantastic news and it will be great to see this as an upcoming film. What do you think? Are you looking forward to seeing this play out on the big screen?
#1 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

This is freaking awesome!!!

#2 Edited by Quintus_Knightfall (84653 posts) - - Show Bio

This has great potential. I see it transitioning to the big screen nicely.

#3 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
"This has great potential. I see it transitioning to the big screen nicely. "

yes.
#4 Posted by Nyogtha (353 posts) - - Show Bio

Guillermo Del Toro is working on At The Mountains of Madness right now, I think it'd be cool to see this. I've been a fan of Lovecraft since I was 10 so this is exciting.

#5 Posted by Decept-O (7275 posts) - - Show Bio

I just have never understood the appeal of anything pertaining to H.P. Lovecraft.  I know this is a twist and all but I still don't get it.  
Maybe Ron Howard can do something to make it appealing, I don't know. 
#6 Posted by MrCipher (276 posts) - - Show Bio

I have been waiting for a big-budget Lovecraft ANYTHING. The best I've been able to get is Full Moon Entertainement's films starring Jeffrey Combs and the giant monster in Hellboy which was Cthulu - ish. 

Done well, this should be awesome. I hope Mr. Howard can find inspiration matching WIllow to make this a great movie.
#7 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, i think an adaptation of Lovecraft from Vertigo would be pretty cool as well

#8 Posted by The Psyentist (16478 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never read anything by Lovecraft, surprisingly. But this all sounds very interesting...

#9 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Where the hell is Dreadnaught?

#10 Posted by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" Where the hell is Dreadnaught? "
oh don't even go there babs
#11 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

I really think this will transition well, ive always loved anything Lovecraft so i cant wait for this

#12 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3549 posts) - - Show Bio

Speaking quite frankly, most movies base on comics would probably do far better then they have if they had been handled correctly. I've never quite understood how movie makers think you can base a movie off a comic and the first thing you do is warp the story your built in fan base would in joy. All for a bunch of pother people who are probably not going to see the movie in the fist place or have the level of appreciation to the story.

I really do like that image.

#13 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

Ron Howard? Hmm interesting :)
#14 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm worried, but a little excited. I hope they can get the tone and mood right, but even then, outside of his original literature I don't think Lovecraft translates so well. The man had such an artistic way with words. To tell the truth I think even the comics ruin the stories. I was always better able to conjure up frightening images of the Great Old Ones using my own imagination, I find others' interpretation's more of a hindrance to that than anything else.

#15 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

...For some odd reason, that picture matched with "American Badass"...

#16 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

I Twitter'd this to you fools yesterday!!!  =  ( 

Anyways, I haven't read any of the graphic novels, but I'm interested as it sounds like a very interesting premise for a story.  As for Ron Howard directing a movie of it...no thank you.  While Frost/Nixon and Apollo 13 were awesome...I remember how boredom-inducing A Beautiful Mind was and how bad of a movie The Da Vinci Code was.

#17 Posted by IcarusMach9 (1462 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome!

#18 Posted by TerryMcC (305 posts) - - Show Bio

I am of two minds on this, love H.P. Lovecraft, can't stand the films of Ron Howard.
#19 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio

Ron Howard is such a weird fit for this.

#20 Posted by welshguy (197 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds interesting at the very least. The writing of Lovecraft is something I've come to love in the past few years (and now I have a dislike of the sea... really I do. I mean, the darkness and mystery of it)

#21 Edited by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks nice and kinda like Hellboy's world.

#22 Posted by Nahero (9915 posts) - - Show Bio

oh what the hell since im a lover of fiction i can dig this though i have no idea about how it will begin or end hopefully it dosen't end with Cthulhu taking over the world or whatever it is he does

#23 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

Dreadnaught would LOVE this.... i think

#24 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio

sorry..... what? Ron Howard the man who is known for doing nothing  but the most over the top terrible films designed for familes is going to make a movie about one of the greatest horror writers of the known universe..... the man who designed and created truly incredible monsters and creatures?...RON HOWARD?... the man who produced the FREAKING DA VINCI CODE??

epic face palm

#25 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio

then again if he is simply producing it and does not step up as director... we could have an awesome film in the wings ;-)

#26 Posted by Scarecrow King (70 posts) - - Show Bio

A movie based on Lovecraft?  Does that mean they'll actually be filming Cthulhu?

If the audience isn't insane by the end of it, they haven't done it right.
#27 Posted by bloodyhell (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this really a good idea based on the 90% of Lovecraft made movies that have sprung out of Hollywood? The answer is no. Lovecraft should stay underground as we the readers have tonnes of respect which has the potential of Mr. Howard making an ass of our hero and portraying him as some PG Johnny Depp Ichabod Crane type. No this really should be left alone but as you have it here comes another excuse for posers to claim they've loved him all along. Honestly, this really sucks no matter how much you love Lovecraft. On a more positive note, and contradiction, Del Toro's possible rendition of "At the Mountains of Madness" seems promising based on the trailers but we shall see. I don't know about you Ronny!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.