Follow

Howard Porter

Person » Howard Porter is credited in 650 issues.

An American comic book artist.

Interview: Howard Porter Looks to the Future in JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Last summer it was announced we'd be seeing a future take on the Justice League. We talked to writers J.M. DeMatteis and Keith Giffen back then (click HERE for that interview). We recently had the chance to try to find out more from artist Howard Porter, who is making his return to the Justice League. Only it's a different League than what he's used to.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: Is it a familiar feeling working on this Justice League book or completely different due to the time period?

HOWARD PORTER: It is a familiar feeling, sort of like a home coming but the school has changed so much you can hardly recognize it anymore. It’s a great feeling. You know how find yourself saying, “I wish I knew then what I know now” when you reflect on the past you? Well, I get to revisit things and I have quite a few more tricks up my sleeve than I did the first go around.

CV: How involved were you with the character designs?

HP: I was very involved, I was fortunate enough to get to design their visuals completely. When I was approached the way the heroes were going to act and interact had been very well defined, but I wasn’t presented with much direction as far as how they wanted them to look. With the exception of Green Lantern’s cloak they were all pretty much blank slates. It was a very enjoyable process, I felt like a fan again, getting to mess around with some of my favorite characters in a sketchbook.

No Caption Provided

CV: There's been a mention of the series being a little dark. Can you shed some light on what the tone will be?

HP: The situations our heroes are thrown into are very dark and twisted but their actions and interactions hold the moments that make you chuckle. So, it is dark and serious, but humor also plays a huge part in the book. I really wish I could give some specific examples but I am afraid it would spoil the stories!

CV: Will the team already be formed when we come in with the first issue or will we see how and why they formed?

HP: The Justice League is indeed fully formed and we see them thrown into some pretty intense action by the time you get through the first 6 pages. We are however jumping in relatively close to the beginning of their adventures together, so there are still more than a few kinks to work out. you can rest assured that we will find out the "how and why" not too far down the road. From what I have been told, it's pretty crazy!

CV: Are there any team members that really jump out at you and are a blast to draw?

HP: Honestly, I really enjoy drawing each of them pretty equally. Batman’s “toys” are particularly fun to draw and I really like playing with Green Lanterns cloak quite a bit. Wonder Woman is just plain old savage, which is always fun. At this point I can’t pick a favorite, each one has an element to them that is a blast to draw.

No Caption Provided

CV: Do you feel you have more freedom in drawing this series given the time period? I'm assuming the DCU landscape has drastically changed.

HP: Absolutely! Complete freedom. There are no rules or continuity to follow, which is an amazing fuel for creatively. I am encouraged to play around as much as possible as we build this world and I can’t express how much I enjoy it. But I will try anyway. On rainy afternoons as a kid, I would sit on the living room floor drawing on the huge sheets of paper my father would bring home from work. I would get lost drawing one continuous scene that would span across the huge page. Towards the top of the page It would show things things happening up in space, aliens, planets and fighter ships. As you moved farther down there would be cities and armies on the land and even get into deep under water battles as you got toward s the bottom of the page. Forty years later, this is that same kind of fun for me.

CV: Sounds cool! What's your favorite thing about being on board with this series?

HP: The answer to that question is a no brainer: the people I am working with.

You can prepare to journey to the future when JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000 goes on sale December 11, 2013.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jwalser3

Should be good, I love how Green Lantern and Flash look.

Dstick88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Dstick88

I'm excited for this after just a few pages of art

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

Wait, they're in the future, yet Batman STILL uses a grapple? That's dedication.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really looking forward to this series.

I'm pretty sure they would have made a big deal out of it if that were Wally as the Flash, and according to the recent Didio whiteboard thing with Donna and Wally he'll be showing up in Flash...but I really want that to be Wally West Flash. xD Red hair. I mean c'mon.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want this book to come out already, I've been waiting long enough!

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

The only Howard Porter art I've really seen was his JLA stuff with Morrison and this is way different. For the better. I might have to pick this book up for the art if nothing else.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

So excited for this series, cannot wait to read that first ish.

Bonzi161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So would this be before or after the Legion of Superheroes

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GrandHarrier

@bonzi161: They retconned the Legion for this title. Currently, in the New 52, the Legion don't nor never existed (except that they did according to Morrison's Action Comics run... but that is neither here nor there). At least that seems to be the case. One gets a sense they "wiped the slate clean".

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to see if that is I fact a decendent of Kal-El

InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not have high hopes for this comic. Giffen is treading water at DC trying to stay afloat and if Legion did not do well and was cancelled why should this be any different?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, they're in the future, yet Batman STILL uses a grapple? That's dedication.

i couldn't have this thought fast enough that i've already seen someone putting it into a post... well done mate!

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GrandHarrier

@jonny_anonymous: The Legion Lost will just be hand waved away. With the Legion seemingly shunted off to Earth 2, the existence of the Legion Lost are a logical inconsistency. Don't expect them to ever be mentioned again.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By fodigg

(Gah. Apparently if you accidentally click "delete" while editing, there's no confirmation. I hit stop on the browser as soon as I could and everything looked fine when I saved, but now it's gone. Well, let's try to rewrite that lost post from scratch.)

I love these costume designs. They're flashy, they kind of follow the streamlined look from the DC Beyond stuff, they have a common theme across all uniforms (something I appreciate in team books) but still provide a unique look to each character, they're familiar but unique takes on the old look (with interesting variations on the logos for WW and Supes (who pretty much just have outlines), and damn but that is a fantastic Wonder Woman design. Bad-ass. And one of the few that successfully combines the gold and silver into her uniform (by splitting it top and bottom on the design).

All that said, I'm a little surprised that, given these are supposedly all-new characters from the year 3000, the artist creates an all-white cast. Sure, we have to assume with Green Lantern there, but if the only POC character is entirely covered I'm not sure how inclusive that is. It's just odd to me that when presented with a chance to create a new Justice League that's not weighed down by Golden Age era properties, they create one that still has a racial diversity issue. Especially when every other aspect of these characters designs is so good, why wasn't that made a priority?

It doesn't reduce my appreciation for the costume designs and I don't think it will affect my reading of the book, but it will always feel like a wasted opportunity to me.

Avatar image for sleepbutnodream15
    Sleepbutnodream15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm looking forward to this. Giffen talked about a twist early on in the story that'll explain why the JL is in the future that has me interested.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ostyo

Green Lantern looks epic.

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ILLO_29

I never dug Howard Porter's art on Morrison's JLA run (love the stories, don't like the art), he seemed to have some issues with foreshorting and proportions. However this art is fantastic, I'm really excited for this book.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@fodigg said:

(Gah. Apparently if you accidentally click "delete" while editing, there's no confirmation. I hit stop on the browser as soon as I could and everything looked fine when I saved, but now it's gone. Well, let's try to rewrite that lost post from scratch.)

I love these costume designs. They're flashy, they kind of follow the streamlined look from the DC Beyond stuff, they have a common theme across all uniforms (something I appreciate in team books) but still provide a unique look to each character, they're familiar but unique takes on the old look (with interesting variations on the logos for WW and Supes, who pretty much just have outlines), and damn but that is a fantastic Wonder Woman design. Bad-ass. And one of the few that successfully combines the gold and silver into her uniform (by splitting it top and bottom on the design).

All that said, I'm a little surprised that, given these are supposedly all-new characters from the year 3000, the artist creates an all-white cast. Sure, we have to assume with Green Lantern there, but if the only POC character is entirely covered I'm not sure how inclusive that is. It's just odd to me that when presented with a chance to create a new Justice League that's not weighed down by Golden Age era properties, they create one that still has a racial diversity issue. Especially when every other aspect of these characters designs is so good, why wasn't that made a priority?

It doesn't reduce my appreciation for the costume designs and I don't think it will affect my reading of the book, but it will always feel like a wasted opportunity to me.

Well said.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@patrat18 said:

@fodigg said:

I love these costume designs. They're flashy, they kind of follow the streamlined look from the DC Beyond stuff, they have a common theme across all uniforms (something I appreciate in team books) but still provide a unique look to each character, they're familiar but unique takes on the old look (with interesting variations on the logos for WW and Supes, who pretty much just have outlines), and damn but that is a fantastic Wonder Woman design. Bad-ass. And one of the few that successfully combines the gold and silver into her uniform (by splitting it top and bottom on the design).

Well said.

Thanks! Thoughts always flow better on the second draft, but man, it's annoying when you take the time to insert pics and CV eats your post.

KingWillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw those concept pictures on Deviantart a while ago, then saw em on here and thought they looked familiar haha. Didn't realize when I favorited em on DA that they were actually gonna be used, awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it makes for a great core workout.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't know i am looking forward to this, we might possibly get Donna Troy and Wally West back thanks to this, and we might get a batman that is not useless compared to the other members since there technology is better and they don't have cyborg, i just kind of want an aquaman 300, i mean if the amazons still exist the atlantians must be alive as well.

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Superbat420

I'm kinda depressed there is no aquaman

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Thank the Lord they changed Superman's hair. He looked weird with the lone tuft in front.

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nobody can see what race green lantern is...everybody save your finest spike lee impression for later.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dbfb60c4f7c
    deactivated-59dbfb60c4f7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The flash looks either scared or crazy. Not saying that it is bad, but just a thought that I had.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
    New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash and Green Lantern look so damned sick!

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will get this because it looks interesting.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By COBRAMORPH

would be nice if they took this opurtunity to make a , I dunno, Bat or Super woman, & a Wonder Man. I have no real interest in a future retread of a pre-existing character. How about a female GL or Flash.

Will the team already be formed when we come in with the first issue or will we see how and why they formed?

I also do care much about the origin of a character/ team. Big deal, they decide to do something to crime. Yes, now move on. you dont need an entire movie or X-part arc explaining why. People either care, or like me, they dont. I doubt there is much middle ground.

I also dont care much about a JL in the legion's era. Sure, thats far enough that every one familiar is gone, but that also is the problem. Superman is, was, & always will be Clark/Kal-El. Not this JL3000 guy. Same with WW. The only OTHER batman is Terry.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That Green Lantern suit would be great for Martian Manhunter.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

The Wonder Woman is nothing special

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Thitiki

@cobramorph: Okaay since you seem to agree about the Superman thing question for you. Do you think that guy is Clark or someone else? Because really couldn't Superman still be alive? Could that be him or do you think he'd be to old?

Heast1934

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my buddy's sister-in-law makes $82 every hour on the laptop. She has been laid off for ten months but last month her paycheck was $14549 just working on the laptop for a few hours. important source....... www.Rush64.com

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Beat me to it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.